High-end 2019 Apple iPhone lineup may shift to 'Pro' branding

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    roake said:
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    You won't be buying this year's new iPhone
  • Reply 62 of 102
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

sflocal said:
    What is a “Pro” phone?  Doesn’t make sense to me.
     One that costs more.
    Because it does more. More features mean more price. You don’t get to have more things for free just because you don’t like spending money. 
    It's really hard to argue the base 13"MacBook Pro has more features. It's a base unit with a whole lot less. Apple overuses the word Pro IMO. Using it on the true high end models would make sense at least. 
    13” MBP base model is an excellent laptop for enterprises. There is nothing wrong with its Pro moniker.
    PickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 102
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Finally i can make professional calls ! Yes!👊
    avon b7entropysdysamoriapscooter63disneylandmancornchipMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 102
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Finally i can make professional calls ! Yes!👊
    Make sure you wear protection.
    foregoneconclusioncornchip
  • Reply 65 of 102
    80s_Apple_Guy said: It's really hard to argue the base 13"MacBook Pro has more features.
    Is it? Quad-core vs dual-core is not insignificant + you might want to take a second look at the GPU comparison between the low-end MBP and the 2nd tier Air. UHD 617 isn't really that close to the Iris Plus 645.
    cornchipfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 102
    dysamoria said:
    Apple wants to further eliminate meaning behind the term “pro”?

So tired of this nonsense.
    Relax. You're getting angry by letting an unsubstantiated rumor ruin your day. Whatever it is called, it will be the latest evolution of a beautiful piece of technology that will make so much possible in the hands of those who use it- photography, music, books, podcasts, radio, telephone, email, texts, language translator, mapping, searching the Internet, etc., etc., etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 102
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    roake said:
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    I, too,  have purchased a new iPhone every year beginning in 2007. I’m still waiting for a reason not to skip this year‘s high end model (Pro?) and wait for the 2020 version. Maybe the camera or USB-C will make the difference.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 68 of 102
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Notsofast said:
    dysamoria said:
    Apple wants to further eliminate meaning behind the term “pro”?

So tired of this nonsense.
    Relax. You're getting angry by letting an unsubstantiated rumor ruin your day. Whatever it is called, it will be the latest evolution of a beautiful piece of technology that will make so much possible in the hands of those who use it- photography, music, books, podcasts, radio, telephone, email, texts, language translator, mapping, searching the Internet, etc., etc., etc.
    It isn’t ruining my day (the rest of my life does that). I’m just fed up with Apple’s marketing-first behavior. If this rumor is true, it’s just more of the same mindless and meaningless end-stage capitalism.

So many Apple defenders here are explaining the “pro” moniker to those of us complaining about it, and they are all failing to accept a basic problem: “pro” means nothing in a linguistic context. It really does just translate to “more costly”. Why are we so willing to allow words to have no meaning, or so willing to accept euphemisms that hide exploitative marketing?

What has been *added* to the “pro” line of MacBooks that has actually been a differentiator for “professional” usage? It’s now a fairly basic portable computer, requiring extra add-ons to be used in a professional production environment. It’s not an impressive offering, especially at the base price. With the tiny storage, insufficient ports & connections, it has the outward impression of a cost-reduced variety of MacBook Pro, compared to its own predecessors. What cost was actually reduced? Apple’s expenses in building them, of course. The consumer actually pays MORE for these devices that require more add-ons. It is a market designed to cut production costs, encourage third-party product development to fill in the holes, and is marketed with a “pro” moniker to make them sound like they justify their higher cost. It’s disingenuous business practice, yet anyone pointing this out gets slammed by the corporate boot-licker crowd.

Why have Apple so dramatically shrunken the market for their own “Mac Pro” line, compared to all prior models? Is THAT what “pro” means to Apple? Clearly not, because the MacBook Pros are fairly basic.

Which definition of “pro” will be used on a phone? What can you possibly do to an iPhone to justify raising the cost even further than the current stupidly expensive iPhone by adding a “pro” moniker? And then what comes next? The iPhone Pro XS? The iPhone Pro XS Professional? This is a game for raising prices and nothing else. What will become of the non-pro models? Will basic functionality be dropped while not actually reducing the costs for consumers?

When the Masters of Business Administration mindset takes charge of a company (as has been the case at Apple for a while now), the outward appearance is of immediate value increases, but the long view is always poor. The leadership will eventually harm the products (this has been happening since 2013), their customers, and the business.

The Wall Street cult doesn’t want to consider the long view, because it doesn’t need to: Whatever happens to Apple with this kind of leadership, the executives at the top, the people sitting on the board, the people holding the majority of shares, etc... they will all be fine no matter how much damage their “leadership” does to the company and customers. They’ll have their golden parachutes and will land on the next public corporation to continue feeding.
    canukstormgatorguymuthuk_vanalingamfreethinkingcornchipblurpbleepbloopchemengin1
  • Reply 69 of 102
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    How much chunkier would an iPhone really feel if the whole phone was just as thick as the lens bump? Just filled with added battery capacity? Most cases are as fat, if not slightly fatter than the bump. But cases mostly add bulk because of the frame, no? This huge bump does not really appeal to me aesthetically.
    cornchipchemengin1
  • Reply 70 of 102
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    palegolas said:
    How much chunkier would an iPhone really feel if the whole phone was just as thick as the lens bump? Just filled with added battery capacity? Most cases are as fat, if not slightly fatter than the bump. But cases mostly add bulk because of the frame, no? This huge bump does not really appeal to me aesthetically.
    1) The battery already lasts a long time. If you need more then get a battery case which adds protection, removes the pens bump, and gets you even more capacity.

2) You’re forgetting their weight and cost it would add. Whether you may want this or not is irrelevant to what Apple feels is best for getting the maximum number of sales. if you think that the bump detracts users or that making the device considerably thicker and heavier wouldn’t, then you’re probably wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 102
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple should have named the X “Pro” as it was a big jump in technology (and price) at the time.

Naming any of this year’s releases “Pro” in order to arrest flagging sales will just be a transparent marketing gimmick (ref. men’s shavers and laundry detergent).
  • Reply 72 of 102
    macxpress said:
    Slap Pro on the name and raise the price. Phil Schiller’s Apple.
    Or Steve Jobs'....Or Tim Cook's, or Jeff Williams', etc....
    With Steve Jobs, the prices of new products were either the same as the model it replaced, or less expensive...in most cases.  Rare cases, such as the original MacBook Air and Power Mac G4 Cube, came with a premium price...but also failed...as the MacBook Air soon became a sub-$1,000 notebook.  Tim Cook is all about price hikes for no real substantial reason.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 73 of 102

Slap Pro on the name and raise the price. Phil Schiller’s Apple.
    Still grinding that axe, eh? As someone who follows multiple Apple websites and bloggers, you of course know that pro designates higher-tier models. Higher-tier models have more, do more, and cost more. For some reason you seem to pretend you’re entitled to the additional features without the additional cost. Very bizarre. 

If this rumor is true we’ll see what additional features they offer. If they offer an attractive value proposition, people will pay. If not, you’re free to get a different model, aren’t you?
    You seem to forget that not too long ago, the word 'Pro' only meant a FireWire 800 port on a MacBook Pro.  The iPad Pro only means pencil support and not much else to convince anyone to buy it...as the majority of consumers do not find the value in it.  Now the basic iPad can use a pencil.  Apple's use of the word 'Pro' is kind of a joke, especially if they want to claim a phone is 'Pro'.  
    gatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 74 of 102
    clexman said:
    So what does a professional need out of a telephone that goes beyond the current models? I can only guess they will say the camera capabilities are professional quality.
    Exactly.  I guess the new 'Pro' iPhone will allow free phone calls and the basic models will require you to insert a quarter to make a phone call.  The camera in any smartphone is far from professional quality.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 75 of 102
    Considering that the 'Pro' devices that Apple currently sells DO have a reason for being labelled as such, perhaps people should wait to see what tech is being included in this rumored 'Pro' version of the iPhone? Might make more sense than immediately flying off the handle. 
    You mean how popular the Xs was last year?  That was their 'flagship' model and the sales of that model have been dismal compared to the Xr.  
    williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 76 of 102
    rossb2 said:
    "pro" seems ridiculous in a phone context. You dont have to be a professional to use a phone....
    You also don’t have to be a professional to use a MacBook Pro... 
    And you proved his point.  The word 'Pro' is a joke.  Apple only uses the term to increase the price.  As I commented before, the only difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, not too long ago, was the addition of a FireWire port.  Hardly worth being called a 'Pro' for one common-use port, even on an iMac.
    williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 77 of 102
    chasm said:
    rossb2 said:
    "pro" seems ridiculous in a phone context. You dont have to be a professional to use a phone....
    This may come as a shock to you, but the name "pro" on something is a marketing marker to denote more power/potential and/or price. That's it.

To those of us out here actually doing pro work, the word "pro" is short for "professional," meaning "someone who is trained and skilled and gets paid for their work." Since that meaning of "pro" can't apply to machines, "pro" has always been a marketing moniker to attract the attention of professionals, but can be important to literally any kind of customer.

It's nearly 2020, and I'm having to explain this to people.
    It is a meaningless marketing term.  Anyone in any career can be considered a 'professional' in that line of work.  Your doctor, lawyer, plumber, welder, contractor, garbage man, janitor, fast food clerk, server, pilot, computer user, youtuber, blogger, pest control, road kill collector....are all considered 'professionals' in their field.  Your explanation is only to boost your ego when anyone in any field is a professional.  It is meaningless...except to fool the consumer to pay a higher price.
    williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 78 of 102
    Rajka said:
    Pro means nothing any longer with Apple products. Well, not entirely; it generally means Apple is charging a higher Apple tax on that product so the customer can earn the privilege of buying one.
    Wrong. Pro has always, always meant better-tier product offering. Simply take a look at MBPs, iPad Pros. It’s a term they use to market their higher-equipped models. Always has been. 

Further, Apple products are less expensive than crappier computers when TCO is calculated. IBM and others have white papers on this. 
    Funny that you intentionally left out the 2013 Mac Pro.  That was not better in any of the reasons you suggested.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 79 of 102
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    iPhone XI Max Pro
    (Aligns with the “Mac Pro” naming).

I’ve never been fond of just “Max”, but I could get behind “Max Pro”.   My 7 Plus is still working great, so probably 2020 might by next upgrade date.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Just like the last round of updates to the watch, MacBooks, etc. which came with an unjustified price hike, and the ridiculous $1,000 stand for a monitor, the new iPhone 'Pro' (which is just plain stupid), will also come with a significant price hike...for nothing more than a name.  The Xs was a failure for Apple, as well as iPhone sales, because they are constantly pushing the trade-in to get people to buy an Xr....still doing it 11 months later!  Apple doesn't even place the Xs on the top of the page.  The mediocre features and the price hike of the Xs was a failure as more people were not willing to shell out $999 - $1,449 for the top of the line model (with all iPhone sales, most prefer the higher capacity models), instead going for the $750 Xr.  So they can come out with their Pro and likely the price will start at $1,299 or more, and people will boo in the audience once again, as they did with the $1,000 monitor stand.

Sadly, Apple still won't get it.  Jobs wanted the iPhone to be affordable for everyone.  Cook wants it affordable only for the super-elite in Cupertino.  The word Pro is just a silly marketing term.  If those three-camera and out of placed flash are any close to being real, that is one ugly phone.  I think consumers stuck it to Apple with their wallets by preferring the lower cost Xr over the not-worth-the-money Xs.
    williamlondon