Apple, Samsung slapped with class action over handset RF emissions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
  • Reply 22 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple news: "RFGate!! Apple is killing their customers!!!!!"

Samsung news: .......
    Absolutely, the evening news will jump on this with wild abandon and it will all be directed at Apple. Samsung won’t even be mentioned.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 23 of 44
    As a ham radio operator, these emissions are very low compared to our amateur radios. I think when someone sensible points out that this RF is far less than others (fire, police, EMT, etc.), then I hope this goes away real soon. Unfortunately, some people will continue spree this hogwash farther.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobralolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,935member
    I want answers. A lawsuit & its findings will help us get the results. I trust independent labs rather than ‘apple’ sanctioned labs.Whoever did the lawsuit , thank you 🙏 
    And you think that a lawsuit will actually give balanced, thoughtful, scientific answers???? Keep holding that phone as close to your brain as possible...
    watto_cobralolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,935member
    deepriver said:
    As a ham radio operator, these emissions are very low compared to our amateur radios. I think when someone sensible points out that this RF is far less than others (fire, police, EMT, etc.), then I hope this goes away real soon. Unfortunately, some people will continue spree this hogwash farther.
    like @mike_wuerthele pointed out, it's not quite that simple. Ham radio uses frequencies in the kHz range; much lower energy. Beyond that, you're typically not standing immediately adjacent to the antenna.

I'm not saying that there is a problem with cell phones; I actually think there's not, but we need to look at the relevant data and be careful of making inappropriate generalizations.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    MplsP said:
    deepriver said:
    like @mike_wuerthele pointed out, it's not quite that simple. Ham radio uses frequencies in the kHz range; much lower energy. Beyond that, you're typically not standing immediately adjacent to the antenna.

I'm not saying that there is a problem with cell phones; I actually think there's not, but we need to look at the relevant data and be careful of making inappropriate generalizations.

However, when I hold a hand held 7 watt radio in the same range.  Police, fire, etc, are all in the same range, normally 4-5 watts.  The RF is far more than a smartphone. If you are talking about sitting in my shack speaking on 900 watts at 160 Meters, then yes, there is a difference.  But hand helds, in the same frequency range, are far more dangerous.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Kelley EidemKelley Eidem Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Apple's refusal to include the date regarding their new phone should tell us all we need to know. It wasn't an "Oopsie!" as the independent tests confirm.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    Apple's refusal to include the date regarding their new phone should tell us all we need to know. It wasn't an "Oopsie!" as the independent tests confirm.
    What are you talking about?
    gatorguywatto_cobradewmelolliver
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Kelley EidemKelley Eidem Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    *data
  • Reply 30 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    *data
    No one does this. Yet Apple is held at different standards.

Apple is friggin' responsible for world peace!
    radarthekatwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 31 of 44
    *data
    Apple has a series of pages with FCC-approved SAR ratings for all of its iPhones. It isn't private data. And, the iPhone 7 is three years old, and not new.

edited August 2019 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 32 of 44
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 933member
    In an MSNBC interview one of the investigators said at one inch the iPhone radiation was within allowed limits, moving it into contact ( to simulate how we currently carry phones) and the measurement was “off the charts”. Which is, to not put too fine a point on it: physically impossible by the known laws of physics, changing the source to sensor distance by an inch simply will not have that large an impact on the received radiation. The choice is they screwed up or they’re lying. 
    edited August 2019 radarthekatlolliver
  • Reply 33 of 44
    JFC_PA said:
    In an MSNBC interview one of the investigators said at one inch the iPhone radiation was within allowed limits, moving it into contact ( to simulate how we currently carry phones) and the measurement was “off the charts”. Which is, to not put too fine a point on it: physically impossible by the known laws of physics. The choice is they screwed up or they’re lying. 
    Well, regardless, the limit is 1.6 Watts per gram at 5mm. The discussion of 2mm is one for another day. If the attorneys were interested in justice, the beef would be with the FCC.
    radarthekatwatto_cobralolliverdewme
  • Reply 34 of 44
    JFC_PA said:
    In an MSNBC interview one of the investigators said at one inch the iPhone radiation was within allowed limits, moving it into contact ( to simulate how we currently carry phones) and the measurement was “off the charts”. Which is, to not put too fine a point on it: physically impossible by the known laws of physics. The choice is they screwed up or they’re lying. 
    Well, regardless, the limit is 1.6 Watts per gram at 5mm. The discussion of 2mm is one for another day. If the attorneys were interested in justice, the beef would be with the FCC.
    Please explain 1.6 watts per gram at 5mm?
  • Reply 35 of 44
    deepriver said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Please explain 1.6 watts per gram at 5mm?
    I’m not sure specifically what you’re asking for. The 1.6 figure is what the feds have established as a legal limit for heating effects from a range of 5mm.

The exposure at 2mm will be higher, but that’s also irrelevant, because the legal limit is 1.6w/g at 5mm. Not 1.6W/g at any range, but 1.6W/g at 5mm. This exposure legal limit is based on what they call a safe level of exposure. The legal limit, the 1.6W/g at 5mm, is calculated by taking 2% of the safe limit. 

This is complicated somewhat by the iPhone 7 that the third party had broadcasting a hair over the legal limit. This isn’t great and should be looked into, but not by an attorney who thinks that this is equivalent to Chernobyl.

is that what you’re asking?
    edited August 2019 MplsPlolliver
  • Reply 36 of 44
    These (cough, cough) Lawyers are ONLY interested in the $$$$$$. Who has the $$$$$$? The FCC don't so they sue Apple.
    One of these days, a case like this will come back and hit those so called Lawyers hard. When Say Apple get a ruling that they have to pay their costs then they are up the creek from a financial POV although I would not put it beyond them to have something in their contract that makes the plaintiffs liable for every cent.
    If that is the case then they really do deserve the title of [redacted].

edited August 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 37 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,391member
    In a parallel study...

"Numerous recent scientific publications, supported by hundreds of scientists worldwide, have shown that time spent living among humans on planet Earth affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines," the filing reads. "Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, anxiety, depression, constipation, diarrhea, delusional thoughts, lead poisoning, bloating, unexpected weight gain, coulrophobia, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans."

Compared to the many other risks that living entails I'm not losing any sleep over cell phone emissions. I'd bet that the probability of dying from distracted driving (or distracted walking or distracted working) while using a cell phone is much greater than the risk of dying due to RF emissions from a cell phone causing a giant tumor to grow inside your brain. 
  • Reply 38 of 44
    MplsP said:
    mobird said:
    A little bit dramatic in my opinion.

"This could be the Chernobyl of the cell phone industry, cover-up and all."
    Yeah. I’ve never seen a trial lawyer exaggerate or be over-dramatic before.

The thing with RF fields is they can be variable and subject to outside interference. Unless the testing methodology was strictly dictated and standardized (and maybe even then,) It’s very possible that the labs that initially did the test for Apple and Samsung got acceptable results while the lab that the Chicago tribune used got slightly different results. Then there’s the proximity sensor and whether it was engaged as well as whether it functions as intended, both for the test and in real life use. (I recall the VW diesel scandal a few years back where VW did the reverse and altered the engine operation when a testing computer was connected to make it look like it ran cleaner when it was taking the test.) Of course, none of this justifies the ambulance chasers at this point. 

The higher the frequency of radio waves, the more energy and the more likely they are to cause damage (which is why the above tests were done at the highest frequency.) Part of the 5G spec involves higher frequencies than currently used, so as everyone races to 5G they will also be racing towards something potentially more harmful. 
    That's an okay generalization from a straight physics standpoint, but biological manifestations are not as simple as that.
    Is not okay generalization even with physics standpoint. More importantly they should be concentrating on the wavelength. And different types of radiation. Some substances are technically transparent until a specific wavelength/frequency limit. And even after that as you said biological manifestations are not as simple as that. Basic dosage pretty much anywhere in the planet is more dangerous than the RF from phones. And that's from the naturally happening radioactive decay. And then there is the Sun and cosmic background radiation. 

Your average lightbulb shoots radiation from 400-750 THz, and no one is worried. Stadium lights operate at those frequencies and are like 1,5 kilowatts per lamp. And they can have serious effects in eyesight etc. I know this is grasping straws. But even breathing is technically killing you every lungful. 5G is not the new asbestos... 

Only problem here I see is likely quality control.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    nadriel said:
    MplsP said:
    mobird said:
    A little bit dramatic in my opinion.

"This could be the Chernobyl of the cell phone industry, cover-up and all."
    Yeah. I’ve never seen a trial lawyer exaggerate or be over-dramatic before.

The thing with RF fields is they can be variable and subject to outside interference. Unless the testing methodology was strictly dictated and standardized (and maybe even then,) It’s very possible that the labs that initially did the test for Apple and Samsung got acceptable results while the lab that the Chicago tribune used got slightly different results. Then there’s the proximity sensor and whether it was engaged as well as whether it functions as intended, both for the test and in real life use. (I recall the VW diesel scandal a few years back where VW did the reverse and altered the engine operation when a testing computer was connected to make it look like it ran cleaner when it was taking the test.) Of course, none of this justifies the ambulance chasers at this point. 

The higher the frequency of radio waves, the more energy and the more likely they are to cause damage (which is why the above tests were done at the highest frequency.) Part of the 5G spec involves higher frequencies than currently used, so as everyone races to 5G they will also be racing towards something potentially more harmful. 
    That's an okay generalization from a straight physics standpoint, but biological manifestations are not as simple as that.
    Is not okay generalization even with physics standpoint. More importantly they should be concentrating on the wavelength. And different types of radiation. Some substances are technically transparent until a specific wavelength/frequency limit. And even after that as you said biological manifestations are not as simple as that. Basic dosage pretty much anywhere in the planet is more dangerous than the RF from phones. And that's from the naturally happening radioactive decay. And then there is the Sun and cosmic background radiation. 

Your average lightbulb shoots radiation from 400-750 THz, and no one is worried. Stadium lights operate at those frequencies and are like 1,5 kilowatts per lamp. And they can have serious effects in eyesight etc. I know this is grasping straws. But even breathing is technically killing you every lungful. 5G is not the new asbestos... 

Only problem here I see is likely quality control.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/21/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-radiation-from-your-wi-fi-router-or-iphone
    lolliver
  • Reply 40 of 44
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I'm not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories however corporations have a track record of concealing damaging research when huge amounts of profits are involved. The tobacco industry promoted cigarettes for decades when their own research discovered the threat their product had to users. 

I think we have all asked ourselves at least once "will holding a device which transmits radio frequency be perfectly safe to us"?
    There are Billions of dollars at stake here, I am glad for an independent study into devices which my affect my and others health. Don't leave the foxes in charge of the hen house.