13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    nadriel said:
    MplsP said:
    mobird said:
    A little bit dramatic in my opinion.

"This could be the Chernobyl of the cell phone industry, cover-up and all."
    Yeah. I’ve never seen a trial lawyer exaggerate or be over-dramatic before.

The thing with RF fields is they can be variable and subject to outside interference. Unless the testing methodology was strictly dictated and standardized (and maybe even then,) It’s very possible that the labs that initially did the test for Apple and Samsung got acceptable results while the lab that the Chicago tribune used got slightly different results. Then there’s the proximity sensor and whether it was engaged as well as whether it functions as intended, both for the test and in real life use. (I recall the VW diesel scandal a few years back where VW did the reverse and altered the engine operation when a testing computer was connected to make it look like it ran cleaner when it was taking the test.) Of course, none of this justifies the ambulance chasers at this point. 

The higher the frequency of radio waves, the more energy and the more likely they are to cause damage (which is why the above tests were done at the highest frequency.) Part of the 5G spec involves higher frequencies than currently used, so as everyone races to 5G they will also be racing towards something potentially more harmful. 
    That's an okay generalization from a straight physics standpoint, but biological manifestations are not as simple as that.
    Is not okay generalization even with physics standpoint. More importantly they should be concentrating on the wavelength. And different types of radiation. Some substances are technically transparent until a specific wavelength/frequency limit. And even after that as you said biological manifestations are not as simple as that. Basic dosage pretty much anywhere in the planet is more dangerous than the RF from phones. And that's from the naturally happening radioactive decay. And then there is the Sun and cosmic background radiation. 

Your average lightbulb shoots radiation from 400-750 THz, and no one is worried. Stadium lights operate at those frequencies and are like 1,5 kilowatts per lamp. And they can have serious effects in eyesight etc. I know this is grasping straws. But even breathing is technically killing you every lungful. 5G is not the new asbestos... 

Only problem here I see is likely quality control.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/21/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-radiation-from-your-wi-fi-router-or-iphone
    That's a nice summation of effects of RF radiation. From old news I remember that laptops could cause infertility for men, because they warm up our testicles too much.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 42 of 44
    jdw said:
    Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the Chicago Tribune is to blame for indirectly initiating the lawsuit.  They tested differently than Apple or Samsung did.  From what I understand, at the time Apple tested and passed FCC, it didn't have to test under conditions that would have the phone right up against human skin, which seems to be how Chicago Tribune tested.  I also read that one Samsung phone was 5 times over the FCC limit, yet hardly anyone is talking about that and most of the news I see is bashing the iPhone, especially the iPhone 7.  I highly doubt that Apple circumvented the FCC by submitting a phone that produced lower emissions than production iPhones.
    Well its not right that the manufacturers don't test the phones right up to the skin. You have to hold the phone so your hand is touching it and if you put it in your pocket like most guys do, your not making sure the inside of your pocket is 5mm away from your skin. They just tested them the way most people use them not the way manufacturers dream up you use them
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 43 of 44
    TomE said:
    Just put the telephones on Speaker or move them slightly away from your ear.  The RF signal decays Exponentially with Distance from the Radiation Source.  Same as for the power lines near your home - move away from them and then there is no possible problem.

I’ve been using wired headsets for years (Etymotic hf3 currently). 

• Reply 44 of 44
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jdw said:
    Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the Chicago Tribune is to blame for indirectly initiating the lawsuit.  They tested differently than Apple or Samsung did.  From what I understand, at the time Apple tested and passed FCC, it didn't have to test under conditions that would have the phone right up against human skin, which seems to be how Chicago Tribune tested.  I also read that one Samsung phone was 5 times over the FCC limit, yet hardly anyone is talking about that and most of the news I see is bashing the iPhone, especially the iPhone 7.  I highly doubt that Apple circumvented the FCC by submitting a phone that produced lower emissions than production iPhones.
    Well its not right that the manufacturers don't test the phones right up to the skin. You have to hold the phone so your hand is touching it and if you put it in your pocket like most guys do, your not making sure the inside of your pocket is 5mm away from your skin. They just tested them the way most people use them not the way manufacturers dream up you use them
    Why would they need to? The FCC approval spec is at 5mm. The safe limit is 50x what the 1.6W/KG legal limit is at 5mm -- that 5mm is literally a required part of the specification for RF absorption. The lawsuit, which only seems to have a slipshod association with science and exposure, seems to think that this 1.6W/KG is at any range, when it is very clearly not.

It isn't magically going to be 50x higher on contact.
    edited September 2019