Apple makes iOS 13.1, iPadOS 13.1 developer betas available for testing [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
Apple has made available iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 betas, releasing point update beta test versions prior to a full version release for the first time.

The release was first spotted by Federico Viticci. Downloads were available for a few minutes, then stalled for about six minutes -- but have since resumed.

A more likely scenario is the binary is in actuality the ninth developer beta of iOS 13, just mislabeled. Apple's download page was updated to reflect the iOS 13.1 beta later than it normally does following a beta release.

The developer download page retains versions of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 restore images.

So Apple just posted the first beta for iOS 13.1...? pic.twitter.com/MH0PUOAZiQ

-- Federico Viticci (@viticci)

An associated link for the beta redirects to Apple's main developer portal page in Safari. A different page for the brief release talks about features for the release including Audio sharing compatible with AirPods and PowerBeats Pro, and some continuing issues with the "Find My" app.

AppleInsider has reached out for Apple for comment. If this is labeled correctly, it is the first time that Apple has released a point update beta to developers for testing prior to the initial release.

Update 1:31 P.M. Eastern Time: The betas are continuing to download after a five-minute stall.
Update 1:41 P.M. Eastern Time: Apple's developer page hosting profile downloads for the betas was updated, reflecting the iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 betas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    It is iOS 13 Beta 8 as per Documentation.

• Reply 2 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    yuck9 said:

It is not. Both Beta 8 of iOS 13 and the first 13.1 beta are available concurrently.

• Reply 3 of 24
    While it seems odd, this is not unexpected to me at all. iOS 13.0 is a disaster and since beta 2 I've known that this was going to be a bomb of a release. And clearly they know it, because they are going to move right past 13.0 (never releasing it to the general public) and skip to 13.1 which will be the bare minimum for public consumption.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 4 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    What sort of diaster? My iPad has been running all the public beats without any major issues.

But it’s a beta, there are supposed to issues, yet people are whining about issues. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But as an enterprise developer, i can tell you it’s not unusual to have multiple releases in the pipeline. 13.1 is likely additional features for testing and not defect resolution for open items in the 13.0 release. That’s how it normally works. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    While it seems odd, this is not unexpected to me at all. iOS 13.0 is a disaster and since beta 2 I've known that this was going to be a bomb of a release. And clearly they know it, because they are going to move right past 13.0 (never releasing it to the general public) and skip to 13.1 which will be the bare minimum for public consumption.
    ha what?

whatever is released to the public first is iOS 13.0
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 24
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    If anything, chances are 13.0 will be released perfectly fine and 13.1 will be for some October/November hardware to be released.

but ofcourse, just another guess...
  • Reply 7 of 24
    fordeefordee Posts: 31member
    Metriacanthosaurus said: "While it seems odd, this is not unexpected to me at all. iOS 13.0 is a disaster and since beta 2 I've known that this was going to be a bomb of a release. And clearly they know it, because they are going to move right past 13.0 (never releasing it to the general public) and skip to 13.1 which will be the bare minimum for public consumption." The most likely explanation is that they cap the features and changes for 13.0 and work solely on bug fixes for that release to coincide with hardware releases in September. Meanwhile, iOS 13.1 will continue with changes to frameworks like SwiftUI and Combine to be released later.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 8 of 24
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    what do I do if I don't want 13.1? i want to stop my beta installs at 13.0
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Hm. Updated an iPhone 7 and a 5SE straight out of software update. On iPhone X and my iPads it appears not to be available, even though I installed the updated profile. 
  • Reply 10 of 24
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Maybe I’m in the minority, but the iOS 13 Public betas have been rock solid for me. No crashes, no funny business. The only app that doesn’t work for me is my credit union app. But everything else works fine. And I’m sure that’ll be fixed once iOS 13 is publicly released. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 24
    iOS 13 Public Betas have been very stable for me. Just a few minor and expected hiccups, which is to be expected. And I'm running it on a non-daily driver iPad mini 5. 
    StrangeDaysPetrolDave
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    What sort of diaster? My iPad has been running all the public beats without any major issues.

But it’s a beta, there are supposed to issues, yet people are whining about issues. ߤ簟Fzwj;♂️

But as an enterprise developer, i can tell you it’s not unusual to have multiple releases in the pipeline. 13.1 is likely additional features for testing and not defect resolution for open items in the 13.0 release. That’s how it normally works. 
    It is unusual IMHO to have multiple beta release branches exposed outside of the internal development team, i.e. production branches. This creates more work for the dev team and increases the likelihood that a bug fix on one release branch would be missed on the other, unless they are going to be merged and 13.0 is never going to see the light of day as a product release. I'm sure Apple has a rational explanation for doing what they're doing. Hey, it's not like they'd accidentally revert a bug fix in a later release... doh! 

I assume that real beta testers (as opposed to experimenters and test drivers) who install iOS 13.1 will not be able to effectively beta test the iOS 13.0 RC on the same machine they've been using to test iOS 13.0 unless they do a full install or revert to iOS 13.0. This is what makes this concurrent beta release strategy awkward to me. It's not a BFD but a new way of doing things versus past beta programs. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 13 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    dewme said:

But it’s a beta, there are supposed to issues, yet people are whining about issues. ߤ簟Fzwj;♂️

It is unusual IMHO to have multiple beta release branches exposed outside of the internal development team, i.e. production branches. This creates more work for the dev team and increases the likelihood that a bug fix on one release branch would be missed on the other, unless they are going to be merged and 13.0 is never going to see the light of day as a product release. I'm sure Apple has a rational explanation for doing what they're doing. Hey, it's not like they'd accidentally revert a bug fix in a later release... doh! 

I assume that real beta testers (as opposed to experimenters and test drivers) who install iOS 13.1 will not be able to effectively beta test the iOS 13.0 RC on the same machine they've been using to test iOS 13.0 unless they do a full install or revert to iOS 13.0. This is what makes this concurrent beta release strategy awkward to me. It's not a BFD but a new way of doing things versus past beta programs. 
    Multiple branches for additional features is not unusual, especially when its .0 and .1. Source: veteran enterprise developer of 20 years. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Perhaps there is something significant coming in iOS 13.1 that Apple has not announced yet, but will do so at their September event.
    frantisek
  • Reply 15 of 24
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    yuck9 said:

It is not. Both Beta 8 of iOS 13 and the first 13.1 beta are available concurrently.

I know what I saw when reading the notes. 

• Reply 16 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    dewme said:

But as an enterprise developer, i can tell you it’s not unusual to have multiple releases in the pipeline. 13.1 is likely uAt eadditional features for testing and not defect resolution for open items in the 13.0 release. That’s how it normally works. 

Multiple branches for additional features is not unusual, especially when its .0 and .1. Source: veteran enterprise developer of 20 years. 
    Multiple feature branches, absolutely, multiple release branches feeding concurrent active beta programs, not so much. I’m sure Apple can handle the extra work involved. The confusion on the beta tester side is that the iOS 13.1 update showed up in the update queue just like the previous 8 beta versions of iOS 13.0. If you reflexively installed the iOS 13.1 beta thinking it was the next one in the iOS 13.0 beta (like AppleInsider insinuated as being a labeling error) you effectively severed yourself from the iOS 13.0 program and signed up to be an iOS 13.1 beta tester. Not a big deal since 13.1 is essentially 13.0 with some of the earlier promised but not-ready-for-prime-time features turned back on. 
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Nice trolling....you copied and pasted the same drivel at 9to5 too.  Nice that you made that assumption after a second beta release, without using any of the others...skipping beta 3 through 7 and continued betas to be released.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 18 of 24

Perhaps there is something significant coming in iOS 13.1 that Apple has not announced yet, but will do so at their September event.
    They removed features from the betas in iOS 13 because they could not get them ready for the .0 release.  They are restored in the .1 beta for further testing.  Some features in Maps and Automation were removed from the betas.
  • Reply 19 of 24

mazda 3s said:
    Maybe I’m in the minority, but the iOS 13 Public betas have been rock solid for me. No crashes, no funny business. The only app that doesn’t work for me is my credit union app. But everything else works fine. And I’m sure that’ll be fixed once iOS 13 is publicly released. 
    You are in the minority because the betas continually made all of my album art, which is embedded in each AAC file, disappear in both the phone and in CarPlay and the native UI in my vehicle.  The sound settings were non functional in the early betas...the toggle to use the volume buttons was reversed.  The volume slider always reverted to minimum in the settings.  Plenty of other quirks.  I guess you don't use your phone much to test everything.
    razorpit
  • Reply 20 of 24
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    While it seems odd, this is not unexpected to me at all. iOS 13.0 is a disaster 
    This has not been my experience at all.  The latest public beta has resolved all of my reported bugs.
    svanstrom