Steve Wozniak says Apple should have split up long ago, talks push into services and more ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Woz is not a businessman. Woz is not a financial expert. Woz is not a marketing professional. All of his forays into business were abject failures. He even let Jobs screw him over on an Atari game Jobs was paid for but Woz actually coded. Woz is a legendary tinkerer engineer who happened to hook up with a genius to create an entire industry. Of course he is revered for his work on early Apple products but his economic opinions are just that of the common man, nothing special. Because of his celebrity his opinions are news.
    cornchipsarthos
  • Reply 42 of 79
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    kkqd1337 said:
    This guy is totally irrelevant and should stop embarrassing himself 
    Why? He makes a lot of sense I think and leaves room for other opinions.
    Do you?
    GeorgeBMacelijahg
  • Reply 43 of 79
    urahara said:
    dewme said:
    Why the venom in the majority of comments? The Woz is very clear that he is expressing his personal perspectives and not trying to shove his opinions down your throat. There’s nothing disrespectful coming from Woz to us so why sling disrespect back his way? 

Geez, there was a time when men could express themselves and those who didn’t agree with them would politely nod and say “okay.” Now if someone says something people don’t agree with they’re likely to plunge a fireplace poker in the speaker’s face. 

The chill is gone. 
    The problem is that we don’t want to hear his opinion on this matter. He can talk whatever he wants. Why does he yet get attention from media?
    Speak for yourself. 
    GeorgeBMacelijahg
  • Reply 44 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mjtomlin said:
    My biggest problem is the Apple App Store.  I do value the “walled garden” approach, but it’s definitely anticompetitive.  I think there’s momentum to change how some of the things are done at Apple...legislatively.  Apple should make changes preemptively...

Definitely anticompetitive? How so?
    Does Apple have to pay the 30% “Apple Tax”? No.

That’s HUGE competitive advantage.  Apple can develop any service/software and squash the competition (on their platform).  Apple did so with Apple Music and they’ll eventually do so with Apple Arcade, Apple TV, New+ etc.

Anything sold through the Apple App Store is at a competitive disadvantage.  And, that’s the only realistic way to install software.  

Apple App Store... that’s going to be a problem.  I don’t know the answer, maybe make it an Apple subsidiary...  it would throw regulators a bone and increase tax revenues.

Apple is going to hate changing anything and fight anything tooth and nail (they don’t even give iPhone sales numbers anymore) but there is a problem.

I think regulations are going to come at Apple from every direction... I bet Apple Pay and Apple Card have them concerned.  Apple is expanding in to many directions (yes, sometimes to consumers benefit).  It isn’t difficult to find possible antitrust violations.  Does Apple allow other companies Apple Pays level of integration? For example...

The dominance of Android globally, give Apple a strong case for not being considered a monopoly, but that’s a bit different.  I don’t think Apple will be “broken up” but I do expect a settlement (non monetarily) that will requires changes.
    So all the billions Apple spends on creating, managing, and supporting the App Store mean nothing? App developers should be able to hawk their wares on the platform without any compensation to Apple so they can “compete” on your utopian level playing field? Baloney.
    cornchip
  • Reply 45 of 79
    DAalseth said:
    fmp3 said:
    I really get tired of those who downplay profits.  Gross Profit makes the world go round, and, most importantly, funds research for new and better products.
    Very true, the world is built on profit, on making a buck, on cutting a deal and screwing over the other guy. Of getting more things, and bigger things, and newer things than your neighbour. 
    But I wonder why it has to be that way.
    Because yes Apple made record profits this year, Cook got a $115 million bonus for meeting Apple's profit target.
    But within a mile of Apple HQ there are people sleeping on the street and eating garbage. 
    Profit doesn't mean much to them.
    There has to be a better way.

/philosophy

A gold rush brings out the best in men.
    cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:
    Do people really care what Woz thinks? Just because the guy can put together a circuitboard doesn't mean he has a clue as to how to run a Fortune 500 company. Isn't this kinda why Steve Jobs was the business guy at Apple and not Woz?
    Quite clearly people do.
    Because you disagree with him does not make his opinion irrelevant.   Frankly, and no offense intended, but his opinion counts for a whole lot more than yours (or mine).
    elijahg
  • Reply 47 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    dewme said:
    Why the venom in the majority of comments? The Woz is very clear that he is expressing his personal perspectives and not trying to shove his opinions down your throat. There’s nothing disrespectful coming from Woz to us so why sling disrespect back his way? 

Geez, there was a time when men could express themselves and those who didn’t agree with them would politely nod and say “okay.” Now if someone says something people don’t agree with they’re likely to plunge a fireplace poker in the speaker’s face. 

The chill is gone. 
    Nah. Woz is selling his brand by publicly touting his opinions. When you submit ideas in this fashion it is entirely fair game for other people to say, “Those are dumb ideas. Your advice is bad.”
  • Reply 48 of 79

Because the Apple of today is so far removed from his day his opinion is worth as much as any other professional Apple commentator. No more, no less. No need to hate on him. 
    What? Pointing out that he isn’t qualified or that his opinions are nonsense doesn’t imply personal hate. It’s OK to criticize ideas and opinions. They’re not all equal. 
  • Reply 49 of 79
    urahara said:
    dewme said:

The chill is gone. 
    The problem is that we I don’t want to hear his opinion on this matter....
    Fixed that for you....
    elijahg
  • Reply 50 of 79
    macxpress said:
    Do people really care what Woz thinks? Just because the guy can put together a circuitboard doesn't mean he has a clue as to how to run a Fortune 500 company. Isn't this kinda why Steve Jobs was the business guy at Apple and not Woz?
    Quite clearly people do.
    Because you disagree with him does not make his opinion irrelevant.   Frankly, and no offense intended, but his opinion counts for a whole lot more than yours (or mine).
    By what measure? He has little experience in management of public companies, big firms at all, and zero at Apple. He was a hardware engineer at Apple, and that’s as deep as it went. His thoughts on how or why Apple should be split up as as worthless as yours or mine. 
  • Reply 51 of 79
    mjtomlin said:
    My biggest problem is the Apple App Store.  I do value the “walled garden” approach, but it’s definitely anticompetitive.  I think there’s momentum to change how some of the things are done at Apple...legislatively.  Apple should make changes preemptively...

That’s HUGE competitive advantage. 
    Does Target/Walgreens/Kroger have to pay itself “slotting fees” to put items on the shelf? No. That’s a huge advantage to in-house brands and clones of name-brand products. The name-brands have to pay retailers for product placement on highly sought after and limited shelf space. 

Should grocery stores spin off their in-house bakeries? They have an advantage over branded baked goods. 

Nope. Advantages are fine. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 52 of 79
    dewme said:

The chill is gone. 
    Nah. Woz is selling his brand by publicly touting his opinions. When you submit ideas in this fashion it is entirely fair game for other people to say, “Those are dumb ideas. Your advice is bad.”
    There is a BIG difference between disagreeing with another's opinion and trashing that person in order to refute his opinion.
    Lately,  weak leaders in American politics have popularized and normalized the latter strategy.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    larryjw said:
    Apple did spin off Claris/FileMaker. Might make sense to spin off their push into movies and tv shows.

Neither are their core. 
    Great example!
    Claris is such a household name, after the spinoff... probably just as recognizable as Apple itself!!!

FABULOUS idea that Apple should split up into a bunch of Claris Works companies, instead.

/sarcasm
    Technically you're right, but only thanks to the quirks of corporate history. What if Apple had marketed all its standalone software under the Claris name? ITunes would certainly have helped make Claris a household name. Just the critical mass of having a wide variety of offerings would have helped make that happen.

Pundits who remind us that Apple is at heart a hardware company are right, and, under the current structure, Apple's software -- and even the new push into services -- will always serve to sell more devices. I've always considered that a missed opportunity for Apple and a loss for consumers.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    knowitall said:
    DAalseth said:
    fmp3 said:
    I really get tired of those who downplay profits.  Gross Profit makes the world go round, and, most importantly, funds research for new and better products.
    Very true, the world is built on profit, on making a buck, on cutting a deal and screwing over the other guy. Of getting more things, and bigger things, and newer things than your neighbour. 
    But I wonder why it has to be that way.
    Because yes Apple made record profits this year, Cook got a $115 million bonus for meeting Apple's profit target.
    But within a mile of Apple HQ there are people sleeping on the street and eating garbage. 
    Profit doesn't mean much to them.
    There has to be a better way.

/philosophy

A gold rush brings out the best in men.
    Would that that were true. Sadly, history has shown exactly the opposite on numerous occasions.
    GeorgeBMacdavgreg
  • Reply 55 of 79
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Why insights like this that is why Woz is on the outside looking in.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    mjtomlin said:

That’s HUGE competitive advantage.  Apple can develop any service/software and squash the competition (on their platform).  Apple did so with Apple Music and they’ll eventually do so with Apple Arcade, Apple TV, New+ etc.

Anything sold through the Apple App Store is at a competitive disadvantage.  And, that’s the only realistic way to install software.  

Apple App Store... that’s going to be a problem.  I don’t know the answer, maybe make it an Apple subsidiary...  it would throw regulators a bone and increase tax revenues.

Apple is going to hate changing anything and fight anything tooth and nail (they don’t even give iPhone sales numbers anymore) but there is a problem.

I think regulations are going to come at Apple from every direction... I bet Apple Pay and Apple Card have them concerned.  Apple is expanding in to many directions (yes, sometimes to consumers benefit).  It isn’t difficult to find possible antitrust violations.  Does Apple allow other companies Apple Pays level of integration? For example...

The dominance of Android globally, give Apple a strong case for not being considered a monopoly, but that’s a bit different.  I don’t think Apple will be “broken up” but I do expect a settlement (non monetarily) that will requires changes.
    Would dropping the cut to Apple suffice, and prevent the need to break anything up?
  • Reply 57 of 79
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    urahara said:
    dewme said:

The chill is gone. 
    The problem is that we don’t want to hear his opinion on this matter. He can talk whatever he wants. Why does he yet get attention from media?
    Maybe "we" don't want to hear your opinion on the matter either.
    GeorgeBMacJaphey
  • Reply 58 of 79
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member

Because the Apple of today is so far removed from his day his opinion is worth as much as any other professional Apple commentator. No more, no less. No need to hate on him. 
    What? Pointing out that he isn’t qualified or that his opinions are nonsense doesn’t imply personal hate. It’s OK to criticize ideas and opinions. They’re not all equal. 
    I think that’s what I was saying. That “hate on” part was not aimed at you or others with specific criticisms, but others whose negative comments were more of an ad hoc nature. 
  • Reply 59 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    macxpress said:
    Quite clearly people do.
    By what measure? He has little experience in management of public companies, big firms at all, and zero at Apple. He was a hardware engineer at Apple, and that’s as deep as it went. His thoughts on how or why Apple should be split up as as worthless as yours or mine. 
    Woz was a gifted hardware engineer when discrete electronics, the 6502, and assembly language was king. He deserves accolades for that.

But he isn't a player in the industry anymore, so his comments are not really worth all that much, to me at least. People should remember, that at the time of Apple's founding, HP was the premier act in the tech industry; they're barely relevant now.
    edited August 2019 cornchip
  • Reply 60 of 79
    dewme said:

The chill is gone. 
    Ha, if you specify why and be a bit civil, I agree.