Study: Apple Pay at 9% adoption in US, lags far behind PayPal and traditional payment meth...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    It’s very simple! Retailers do not like it or want it because they can’t trace the sale! Retailers use your credit card number to identify you. They use a hashed version of that, and other cards you use, to create a unique customer record on you! The data is used to understand shopper behavior, brand affinity, etc., who helps merchandise stores and select the assortment. Because Apple Pay proves them no traceable data it’s considered like a cash sale and non-traceable. Apple needs to further update the loyalty program capabilities to address some of this so companies like Starbucks will support it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Chet-NYCChet-NYC Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    blastdoor said:
    Apple Watch plus Apple Pay is killer — nothing to pull out of a wallet, faster than a chip reader, and no need to sign. Once you use it, it’s all you want to use. 
    That is exactly what I was going to say.  I use my watch to pay all the time if Apple Pay is used. It is much faster and easier than taking out the credit card and waiting for the chip to be read and verified by the reader.   (When I first started using it a couple years ago, I loved watching people freak out over how I paid for whatever I was getting!!) 

I have no clue why ANY business would turn off contactless payment on their systems.

One other thing that will drive more people to Apple Pay at least here in NYC, is the roll out of OMNY, the new contactless payment system for mass transit. Right now, it's just limited to Staten Island buses and to part of one subway line.  But for that, you don't even need to open up wallet on your phone, or double click the button on the watch.  The Express Transit feature takes care of it automatically when you put the watch or phone by the OMNY reader.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 86
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    USA is still cash driven society. Some restaurants give 10% off when pay cash then credit card and most of restaurant(specially seat down place) does not adapt handheld  pos. So physical credit card or cash still need.

That is why Apple card sent out titanium card instead plastic card. They start late so some incentive needed. Not reward. The titanium card.
    I also have Apple card and there is no reason use physical Apple card at all.

Most of USA consumer has multiple reward credit cards. There is no reason to ditch all credit card to Apple card..
    Most of YouTuber review as Apple card rewards compare to other high reward cards but I think they still not read fine print well..

Some of high reward card always has limit amount that you ca receive high % rewards. Or rotate rewards quarterly. Like DIscover it cards.(5% rewards)
    But you are only get 5% on specific item such as gas for only 3 month and up to $1000 or so.. If you use more than that reward drop to 1%.
    For example if you spend pn gas $100/month then 3 months 5% ended up $15+ rest of other month 1%($9) = $24 rewards.
    Applepay return 2% unlimited so $100/month on gas ended up $24/year rewards anyway..

So unless you use multiple high rewards cards to maximize(like Costco cards then it gives you 4% on gas up to $7,000/year) the return, single card only use does not gives some sort of huge rewards.

You want high reward return then you have remember when to use which cards so you can get high return..
    Any time you want to make money in this world, you have to work on savvy credit card usage.

But if you really don't want to remember which card what return and does not want to open multiple cards and also you can use Applepay 100% of the time then Apple card is not that bad far as I can see.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 86
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    I use Apple Pay with my Apple Watch anyplace it's accepted. Incredibly handy and fast and secure. If the Apple Pay adoption rate is lower than expected, I blame it on two primary reasons: failure to put Apple Pay logos on the payment terminals and cashier education on the Apple Pay process.

Due to the lack of Apple Pay logos on many business payment terminals, people don't try to use Apple Pay. Consequently, I've gotten into the habit of asking before pulling out my wallet. But even that's not foolproof, earlier this summer I stopped at a local soft freeze ice cream store, saw no Apple Pay logo, asked and was told they don't accept it. So I happened to mention it to my wife and she said "Sure they do, I use it." And she was correct, the next time I had a different cashier and got a different answer and used my Apple Watch to pay. So it's also an employee education problem. Apparently there's no monetary incentive (percentage kickback or something) for businesses to install the equipment to accept Apple Pay. If there was and the usage fee was cheaper than credit cards, you can bet merchants would embrace Apple Pay and make it obvious it's accepted. Plus, they'd ensure Apple Pay was on the training syllabus for new employees as well as continuing education for existing employees. 

Gotta spend money to make money. If Apple wants to see that acceptance percentage increase significantly, take a page out of the Square business model with respect to terminals and readers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 86
    "There is little incentive for consumers to ditch credit cards, the top form of payment in America, for a mobile payment alternative, du Toit notes. In some cases, swiping or inserting a credit card into a point of sale terminal is easier than pulling out an iPhone, unlocking it and tapping it on an NFC reader."

WTF, does this guy have any clue on how Apple Pay works?  Apple pay is linked to a credit card.  You are not ditching anything.  Pulling a wallet then the card out of your pocket then sliding it into the reader is not easier than pulling out a phone and tapping it on the reader.  That's another joke.  And you don't have to unlock the phone, just double tap on a button. 

So after reading that, why should I believe any of the stats that his company Bain offered up?  Does not even pass the sniff test.  Apple Pay has been out several years and it being accepted in more and more places.  Only 9%.  Who gave them those figures?  Why does Bain allow people like du Toit make ridiculous public statements like this in their name?

This x1000.

Absolutely ridiculous to think pulling a card from your wallet is easier than tapping your iPhone (or Apple Watch). This is before you consider the fact Apple Pay is actually more secure than using your card.

I guess we’re lucky up here in Canada. Almost everyone accepts tap & pay (which means they accept Apple Pay by default). Two big holdouts are Home Depot and Walmart, which is why I refuse to shop there.

I estimate 95% of my purchases are Apple Pay. The other 5% are the few stores that don’t accept tap or for purchases over $100.
    Home Depot in Canada (BC) just recently updated POS to Apple Pay, I’ve used it a few times now. And I just recently confirmed that Costco accepts Apple Pay MC for up to $200. I always thought the $100 limitation was from the CC side, not the vendor but apparently not, unless it is MasterCard specific. 
    I paid for $190 of stuff with my watch, and didnt even get a surprised look or raised eyebrow from anyone. Even better now that the membership card is on my phone now too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 86
    All 5 major grocery chains where I live have it, as well as the one fast food joint. Lots of tiny hole in the wall businesses like my favorite pizza joint have it.  I like not having to carry my credit card. My position is that if a store doesn’t offer it, like Wally World, they don’t get my business. Plenty of other places to shop.  I think due to the huge benefit to VISA and MC in reduced fraud losses, they will ultimately mandate merchants must offer NFC connectivity. 
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 86
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    payeco said:

benji888 said:
    “In some cases, swiping or inserting a credit card into a point of sale terminal is easier than pulling out an iPhone, unlocking it and tapping it on an NFC reader.”

Only someone who has never used it could write this statement! Total B.S, it is quite the opposite!! And, as already stated, only steps are:

1) get your iPhone or Watch out and place near NFC reader
    2) use touch or Face ID and that’s it, easiest way to pay.
    (Actually, only one step, get your iPhone out, keep thumb on home button while putting it near NFC reader.)

rob53 said:
    Stores are still shutting off Apple Pay capability even though their POS hardware handles it. Home Depot is a perfect example. Until all POS hardware is forced to accept Apple Pay stores will continue to turn it off.  Of course users need to understand what they have and use it. 
    This is the problem in the US!! I do recall being able to use Apple Pay at Home Depot, but, they, like others, have changed POS systems or payment services and they only accept chip or swipe cards now. Some places accept some NFC payments, but not Apple Pay. Some places have dropped everything except swipe. Most food places haven’t updated at all, only swipe, which is ridiculous! It’s not because people weren’t using it, there is some other reason for it. I think paying through an app has become what they all want, that way they can track your purchases and use or even sell that information. I am totally against this, you have to put your credit card information into each app to use it this way...and you have more and more servers where your credit card (and other information) is stored and more and more chances of it being hacked. ...Kroger won’t accept Apple Pay but working on another system like this. They aren’t listening to what we want, but trying to do what they want.

Unfortunately, there is no way to force merchants to accept Apple Pay. Only thing we can do is keep telling these companies we shop where we can use Apple Pay first, because we prefer the security, privacy and ease of use.
    It’s not possible to disable Apple Pay but still allow other contactless payments. The payment terminal has no way of knowing you’re using Apple Pay because it is using industry standard contactless EMV to send your payment information. To the payment terminal it looks like you’re just holding up a physical contactless credit card.
    Not true, they can and have. CVS did, Banana Republic did. NFC enabled, AP disabled. Experienced it myself and the clerks told me it won’t work with AP. 
    GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 48 of 86
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    Chet-NYC said:
    blastdoor said:
    Apple Watch plus Apple Pay is killer — nothing to pull out of a wallet, faster than a chip reader, and no need to sign. Once you use it, it’s all you want to use. 
    That is exactly what I was going to say.  I use my watch to pay all the time if Apple Pay is used. It is much faster and easier than taking out the credit card and waiting for the chip to be read and verified by the reader.   (When I first started using it a couple years ago, I loved watching people freak out over how I paid for whatever I was getting!!) 

I have no clue why ANY business would turn off contactless payment on their systems.

One other thing that will drive more people to Apple Pay at least here in NYC, is the roll out of OMNY, the new contactless payment system for mass transit. Right now, it's just limited to Staten Island buses and to part of one subway line.  But for that, you don't even need to open up wallet on your phone, or double click the button on the watch.  The Express Transit feature takes care of it automatically when you put the watch or phone by the OMNY reader.groc
    Your comment about people freaking out reminds me -- in my experience, the people who seem most impressed (and frankly delighted) are cashiers at busy stores. I know I'm frustrated by how much time is wasted by people in front of me in a line fumbling with credit cards (or god forbid, cash) and then waiting for a slow card reader, signing, etc. But think about the cashier who has to watch that all day long!

I'd love to see a study comparing the throughput of a cashier line where people use chip cards and one where people use Apple Pay on a watch. I bet if retailers (or at least retailers with lots of customers) saw the result of such a study, they'd start giving discounts to people paying with Apple Pay, because of the increase in the efficiency of their checkout lines. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 86
    In my city both the national and the local grocery stores take AP. As do my dry cleaners, and all the fast food joints. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 86
    "There is little incentive for consumers to ditch credit cards, the top form of payment in America, for a mobile payment alternative, du Toit notes. In some cases, swiping or inserting a credit card into a point of sale terminal is easier than pulling out an iPhone, unlocking it and tapping it on an NFC reader."

WTF, does this guy have any clue on how Apple Pay works?  Apple pay is linked to a credit card.  You are not ditching anything.  Pulling a wallet then the card out of your pocket then sliding it into the reader is not easier than pulling out a phone and tapping it on the reader.  That's another joke.  And you don't have to unlock the phone, just double tap on a button. 

So after reading that, why should I believe any of the stats that his company Bain offered up?  Does not even pass the sniff test.  Apple Pay has been out several years and it being accepted in more and more places.  Only 9%.  Who gave them those figures?  Why does Bain allow people like du Toit make ridiculous public statements like this in their name?

You may have taken him too literally.   There are many people who choose to use a card instead of ApplePay and never even load their cards into ApplePay.   For some, they don't understand what ApplePay is or what it does.   For others, they think it is not secure to put their credit card on the iPhone.  Others simply find it simpler to just do it the old way.   Essentially, they can't be bothered to move on and move up to Apple Pay when the old way works just fine for them.

So, while technically ApplePay uses the person's credit card, to the person, it is "either use a card or use Apple Pay".

While you can debate his logic, he is clearly correct because the vast majority of people in the U.S. continue to pull out their credit cards instead of their phones.  You can call them stupid, uneducated, old fashioned or whatever -- but that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority continue to use their card directly.

Someone previously mentioned marketing. I never see Apple talk up the fact Apple Pay is more secure than your actual card. I still here people ask me if it’s safe to store your card on your phone. They don’t understand it’s a substitute number, not your real number.

I’ve mentioned this countless times: I think Apple is prevented from saying anything that would make contactless cards seem insecure. That includes statements that Apple Pay is more secure than your card. All they ever show in their ads is the convenience aspect, not the security aspect.

If people knew how it worked (substitute card numbers, rolling security codes) I think even more would use it. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 86
    jungmark said:
    Not a huge user of ApplePay but I would have thought 9% adoption wasn't bad...
    According to pundits, only Apple must have at least 50% to be a marginal success. Anything less is doom for Apple. 
    These endless “poor, beleaguered Apple” cries in response to every story — from the same predictable group of people — are getting to be a tad tiring. 
    Imagine how tiring it must be to this group to see legions of boneheads actually suggesting non-iPhone-level initiatives are failures. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 86
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    blastdoor said:
    Well,  I really like having some $20 bills folded up and a $100 in my wallet clip.  Guess you do not like real money?  If you like the Apple Watch and others do, that's great.  As big a fan of Apple and a computer geek I am, I choose not to wear a computer on my wrist.  My iPhone does everything that I need, don't see the point of a computer on the wrist. I wear a real watch instead.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 53 of 86
    aikisalaikisal Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I find that many places still don't know about Apple Pay or even mobile payments, and don't know that their systems can handle it. So I wait till the card reader is ready to accept my payment and if I see a 'mobile payments' symbol, I try Apple Pay - most of the times it works. And using an Apple Watch it is super quick too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Tried to use Apple Pay at Smiths grocery store and was told "sorry, we only accept Samsung Pay". WTF? Good thing their competition (Albertsons, Whole Foods, Costco) takes Apple Pay. I just stay away from Smiths now.
    GeorgeBMacchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 86
    In my opinion, a big problem is INFORMING THE CUSTOMER!!! It's stupidly simple too. It's very rare I find a place where the POS terminal is labeled somehow for ApplePay or any NFC payment. When a customer is at the point of sale, what's the main thing on their mind? How to QUICKLY finish the transaction. Andy by labeled, I mean prominently labeled BEFORE the transaction is finished. So I'll be standing there waiting for the cashier to finish, and unless the terminal has been specifically labeled somehow, I have no way to know if they even accept any electronic payment. But guaranteed they take plastic. I'll wait for the cashier to finish with my plastic in-hand, ready for the end of the transaction. I don't want to stand there with my phone, hope they take it and then if they don't, I have to put the phone away, get out my wallet, find my card, and then put it in the machine. Sure, there are many times I'll be waiting for the transaction to complete, credit card in hand, and then AFTER the cashier is finished and totals the order, then I see the NFC logo pop up on the screen. That's way too late to do any good.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    I can't speak for the US, because I live in Canada. But to be honest I haven't started using AP for a couple of reasons.

First I've changed CCs twice and still don't have one that works with AP. My Credit Union has flat out said they have no plans to adopt AP, so my debit card will never work with it. The banks up here and the people up here like their chip cards. Yes a number of the bigger banks have said they support it, but they are the exception.

The second reason is like the well known meme.
    I haven't had a chance to try AP so I honestly have no idea how it works, and by now I'm afraid to ask.

I don't want to be the doddering old guy holding up the line trying to figure out how to pay with my phone. I KNOW I can pull out my card, tap it, and go. AP is more secure, but it sure as heck isn't going to be any faster.

So someday I may start using AP, but that day is looking more distant and hazy.
    Actually, one of the reasons I like ApplePay is its so much quicker than using a card.   In fact, standing in line, I get impatient with those "doddering old guys" (even though I am one!) fumbling around with their old fashioned card.    With my Apple Watch, the whole thing is done in seconds.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 86
    benji888 said:
    “In some cases, swiping or inserting a credit card into a point of sale terminal is easier than pulling out an iPhone, unlocking it and tapping it on an NFC reader.”

Only someone who has never used it could write this statement! Total B.S, it is quite the opposite!! And, as already stated, only steps are:

1) get your iPhone or Watch out and place near NFC reader
    2) use touch or Face ID and that’s it, easiest way to pay.
    (Actually, only one step, get your iPhone out, keep thumb on home button while putting it near NFC reader.)

But if you take your phone or watch out and they don't take NFC, then you have to put your phone away, dig out your wallet, find the card, etc. Just label the darn thing so a customer can tell right away (as in BEFORE the end of the transaction) if they take NFC payments.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Tried to use Apple Pay at Smiths grocery store and was told "sorry, we only accept Samsung Pay". WTF? Good thing their competition (Albertsons, Whole Foods, Costco) takes Apple Pay. I just stay away from Smiths now.
    Pretty much the same here:   If they don't take ApplePay I avoid shopping there if at all possible.   That's partly because ApplePay is quicker and more secure.   But also I've found it to be indicative of how they value and treat their customers.   For me that started when my information got hacked at Target -- but then they refused to accept ApplePay.   That told me all I needed to know about Target.

(I know they now accept it, but I still avoid the place because they demonstrated how much they value me and my business)
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 86
    andyring said:
    In my opinion, a big problem is INFORMING THE CUSTOMER!!! It's stupidly simple too. It's very rare I find a place where the POS terminal is labeled somehow for ApplePay or any NFC payment. When a customer is at the point of sale, what's the main thing on their mind? How to QUICKLY finish the transaction. Andy by labeled, I mean prominently labeled BEFORE the transaction is finished. So I'll be standing there waiting for the cashier to finish, and unless the terminal has been specifically labeled somehow, I have no way to know if they even accept any electronic payment. But guaranteed they take plastic. I'll wait for the cashier to finish with my plastic in-hand, ready for the end of the transaction. I don't want to stand there with my phone, hope they take it and then if they don't, I have to put the phone away, get out my wallet, find my card, and then put it in the machine. Sure, there are many times I'll be waiting for the transaction to complete, credit card in hand, and then AFTER the cashier is finished and totals the order, then I see the NFC logo pop up on the screen. That's way too late to do any good.
    What to do is:
    1)  Hold your phone to the terminal.
    2)  When the cashier says "we don't take ApplePay"
    3)  Say in very loud voice:  "WHAT?   You don't take Apple Pay?   You're kidding!  RIght?   Well, let me see if I have one of those card things...."
    4)  Then fumble around with the card as the line gets longer and longer....

A little obnoxious.   But, it gets the point across.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 86
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    " According to eMarketer, Starbucks' system is the most used app in the U.S. with 23.4 million users, the report said. Apple Pay is a close second with 22 million users and is followed by Google Pay's 11.1 million adopters." ......I saw recent piece somewhere that put Apple Pay at near parity with Walmart Pay at around 31 million users. That surprised me. Apparently Walmart automation push bearing fruit. With push in services, and AppleCard, there are so many more incentives and entry points to use ApplePay.
    watto_cobra