Study: Apple Pay at 9% adoption in US, lags far behind PayPal and traditional payment meth...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    payeco said:
    not_anton said:
    It’s very simple! Retailers do not like it or want it because they can’t trace the sale! Retailers use your credit card number to identify you. They use a hashed version of that, and other cards you use, to create a unique customer record on you! The data is used to understand shopper behavior, brand affinity, etc., who helps merchandise stores and select the assortment. Because Apple Pay proves them no traceable data it’s considered like a cash sale and non-traceable. Apple needs to further update the loyalty program capabilities to address some of this so companies like Starbucks will support it. 
    Starbucks supports Apple Pay in Finland, just like any other NFC payment methods. Don't let businesses screw you, and they won't.
    They support Apple Pay here too. He’s talking about Starbucks’ loyalty program. He wants that made Apple Pay compatible likes some other retailers have.
    There's a work around for that:  Get a Starbuck's gift card and load it into the Starbuck's app.   Then replenish the card as needed from ApplePay.   It works very quickly and smoothly.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 86
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,300member
    M68000 said:
    blastdoor said:
    Apple Watch plus Apple Pay is killer — nothing to pull out of a wallet, faster than a chip reader, and no need to sign. Once you use it, it’s all you want to use. 
    Well,  I really like having some $20 bills folded up and a $100 in my wallet clip.  Guess you do not like real money?  If you like the Apple Watch and others do, that's great.  As big a fan of Apple and a computer geek I am, I choose not to wear a computer on my wrist.  My iPhone does everything that I need, don't see the point of a computer on the wrist. I wear a real watch instead.
     I am not young.  But it is reassuring to know that I am not too, too cold. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 83 of 86
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    not_anton said:
    It’s very simple! Retailers do not like it or want it because they can’t trace the sale! Retailers use your credit card number to identify you. They use a hashed version of that, and other cards you use, to create a unique customer record on you! The data is used to understand shopper behavior, brand affinity, etc., who helps merchandise stores and select the assortment. Because Apple Pay proves them no traceable data it’s considered like a cash sale and non-traceable. Apple needs to further update the loyalty program capabilities to address some of this so companies like Starbucks will support it. 
    Starbucks supports Apple Pay in Finland, just like any other NFC payment methods. Don't let businesses screw you, and they won't.
    They support Apple Pay here too. He’s talking about Starbucks’ loyalty program. He wants that made Apple Pay compatible likes some other retailers have.
    There's a work around for that:  Get a Starbuck's gift card and load it into the Starbuck's app.   Then replenish the card as needed from ApplePay.   It works very quickly and smoothly.

But you still have to unlock the phone, find the Starbucks app, open and and pull up your loyalty/payment. That defeats the whole point. People don’t wan to pay with Apple Pay just for the sake of it. People want loyalty cards in Apple Pay for the convenience. 

At Walgreens for instance, which has their loyalty card in Apple Pay, you just use Apple Pay to pay like you normally would and the wallet detects you’re paying at Walgreens and automatically sends your loyalty info at the same time as the payment info. It’s incredibly seamless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 86
    CVS has been using Apple Pay hereabouts for nearly two years.

The article was a little strange, comparing apples (sorry) and paper bags: Apple Pay assumes at least one credit card account, so why attempt to draw a contrast between NFC payment methods, Apple Pay in particular, and credit cards?

The article also omits the strongest selling point of Apple Pay: secure transactions that can't be scammed by skimmers, used by the merchant to sell your buying habits, or counterfeited.

And if I read the article correctly, the real news her tis that Apple Pay has 90% of the US adoption of NFC point of sale transactions. I'd say that's good news.

While its may be different for other consumers, I seem to wait in checkout lines more than I used to (probably retailers trying to save a few bucks in checker salaries), and a lot of people have their cell phones out well before they get to the checker, simply to stave off boredom. Beats digging in your wallet/pocketbook/wherever for a credit card.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    I use Apple Pay whenever I can, with my Watch. In the UK most shops have an unlimited amount so is much more useful than a card tap and go which has a £30 limit. It also saves carrying excess stuff about and avoids being caught out if you don’t have a card or phone with you and suddenly need to make a payment. Even my wife who is very technophobic uses Apple Pay whenever she can.