Unsurprisingly, the Apple Card isn't 100% titanium

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    In the article photo, the name Michael Ohara doesn't have an apostrophe. My question is this: are apostrophes unsupported characters in the Apple Card? What about dashes? I know lots of people with dashes and apostrophes in their names. Are there any other special symbols besides those two that are permitted? Does an Apple Card user from foreign countries where English isn't spoken have to use the Romanized version of his name, or can he use the local alphabet, including pictograph names? In some languages their names are written vertically, does the Apple Card support that? I'd like to see names printed on Apple Cards for people whose unromanized names are in Burmese, Sinhalese, Georgian, Tagalog and also Taa/!Xóõ.
    Oddly enough, I couldn't figure out how to get my middle initial on my card.  So unlike my other cards, it just says "Random Person" (without the I).
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,916administrator
    How much titanium was in the PowerBook G4?
    The PB G4 Ti case was CP (commercially pure) titanium. Essentially 100% pure. But that also meant it wasn't very strong, not that anyone needs superstrong laptop cases. Stiff, yes, but not strong.
    The PB G4 Ti was a a Ti-Al foil (not like the foil you have in the kitchen, though), supplied mostly by TitaniumX, wrapped around a carbon-fiber support frame for rigidity. There was probably the same amount of titanium in a PBG4 as there is in about seven Apple Cards.
    edited September 2019 1stStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 32
    How much titanium was in the PowerBook G4?
    The PB G4 Ti case was CP (commercially pure) titanium. Essentially 100% pure. But that also meant it wasn't very strong, not that anyone needs superstrong laptop cases. Stiff, yes, but not strong.
    Indeed not strong. Mine cracked at the hinge point after a year or so. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    In the article photo, the name Michael Ohara doesn't have an apostrophe. My question is this: are apostrophes unsupported characters in the Apple Card? What about dashes? I know lots of people with dashes and apostrophes in their names. Are there any other special symbols besides those two that are permitted?

Does an Apple Card user from foreign countries where English isn't spoken have to use the Romanized version of his name, or can he use the local alphabet, including pictograph names? In some languages their names are written vertically, does the Apple Card support that? I'd like to see names printed on Apple Cards for people whose unromanized names are in Burmese, Sinhalese, Georgian, Tagalog and also Taa/!Xóõ.
    For EMV cards:

https://www.emvlab.org/emvtags/?description=Cardholder+name

Tag: 5F20

So an apostrophe could be Ok.

It has to meet ISO 7813
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 25 of 32
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    bfranks said:
    I’m waiting for a clear aluminium card.  Scotty was able to create it on an original Mac. So how hard could it be ?  ;)
    Aluminum oxide is transparent. It's perhaps better known as sapphire.

I wouldn't want a credit card made out of it, though. It tends to shatter when struck (or bent) with enough force.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    jimh2 said:
    Literally who cares. It is a credit card and its sole purposes are to spend money and flash the Apple logo. It is white and will get dirty because your wallet is dirty, the card rubs against your wallet, people touch it with dirty fingers (including yourself), and the machines you stick it into are dirty. People are f'd in the head about a credit card.
    I think it shows the higher standard to which Apple is held.
    My plastic cards all look like worn-out crap within a few months -- but I haven't heard any complaints about them.
    It’s also the ‘higher standard’ that Apple sets for themselves. Had they simply made a white plastic card, no one would have batted an eye if it got dirty, nor would they have cared what type of plastic it was made out of. No one questions the appearance or composition of a Citibank card because Citibank doesn’t advertise it.   

By advertising it as Titanium and making its appearance a selling point, they invited the scrutiny. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    flyingdp said:
    “In order to facilitate the few swipe-based and chip-and-pin transactions that may be required from time to time, a physical token is also provided, consisting of a white card made from titanium bearing a magnetic strip, a chip,”

This statement, unfortunately, is utter nonsense or wishful thinking. I’m in the US and more  than half of my card transactions are by chip, swipe or actual card number input. Many merchants and vendors still require a chip or swipe including major hotel chains, food vendors, restaurants, and gas stations, to name a few.

To be actually useful, I don’t think you can have an AppleCard account without getting a physical card.
    Disagree, I’m only using the Wallet card and not the physical card (tho I do have it in a drawer). I use a different card for swipes. 

All my grocery stores (local and national), pet store, coffee, fast food, and dry cleaners all use modern NFC terminals and accept Apple Pay. US bars and restaurants will be the last for some reason. 
    robin huber
  • Reply 28 of 32
    MplsP said:
    jimh2 said:
    Literally who cares. It is a credit card and its sole purposes are to spend money and flash the Apple logo. It is white and will get dirty because your wallet is dirty, the card rubs against your wallet, people touch it with dirty fingers (including yourself), and the machines you stick it into are dirty. People are f'd in the head about a credit card.
    I think it shows the higher standard to which Apple is held.
    My plastic cards all look like worn-out crap within a few months -- but I haven't heard any complaints about them.
    It’s also the ‘higher standard’ that Apple sets for themselves. Had they simply made a white plastic card, no one would have batted an eye if it got dirty, nor would they have cared what type of plastic it was made out of. No one questions the appearance or composition of a Citibank card because Citibank doesn’t advertise it.   

By advertising it as Titanium and making its appearance a selling point, they invited the scrutiny. 
    Nah, if they had released it as plastic people would be mocking it as “unapologetically plastic” and the like. People bitch about Apple, either way. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,402member
    It appears G-S or whoever had the card issued may have used your name as Apple showed it in their file.

My name is two initials and my last name, my preference but not what anybody requires when asking for 'legal' name. Yet that's what appeared on my card. All my other cards have my full legal name and in all upper case. I do like the look of all upper case for my chosen preference, but I'm ok with what I got. 

As a gag, I'd be tempted to put a P-Touch type black on white label over my name and use something else. Certainly it would be noticed when handed to a server, and I wonder how they'd react.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Actually, what was used for the analysis was SEM/EDS. The SEM causes the sample to emit characteristic x-rays and the EDS (Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectrometer) measures the x-rays forming a spectrum which identifies elements in the sample. I've been in this business since 1977 so I am quite familiar with this.

Titanium is often alloyed with aluminum. Actually, the common alloy includes 6% Al and 4% V (vanadium). The V K-alpha peak is heavily overlapped by the Ti K-beta peak. At just 4% it would have been easy for the professor to miss this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_alloy

1st said:
    even 90% is high (possibly the location that construct the card using the alloy strip of Ti-Al is 90%, but not the whole card).  SEM has limited sensitivity for light elements.  I suspect something missing or the card use very little alloy.  IMHO.  We will never know unless we can get hold of the Lab report.  

Actually, SEM/EDS has has good light element detection, excluding H, He and Li. If there were appreciable amounts of light elements they would have been seen, appreciable being more than about 5% by weight.

Probably the card itself is a sheet of Ti alloy with a white coating ( titanium oxide? ) and a strip of magnetite alloyed with something to improve its magnetic properties and the embedded chip. It would be a big job to analyze every part of the card. This would also involve destroying the card. SEM/EDS measures very tiny points on a sample (less than a micron). Characterizing a large sample is a synthesis of many separate analyses. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    “Aluminum hardens the card” that’s a bit of surprise to me. I’ve always thought aluminum was a soft metal, certainly softer than titanium!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    macgui said:
    It appears G-S or whoever had the card issued may have used your name as Apple showed it in their file.

My name is two initials and my last name, my preference but not what anybody requires when asking for 'legal' name. Yet that's what appeared on my card. All my other cards have my full legal name and in all upper case. I do like the look of all upper case for my chosen preference, but I'm ok with what I got. 

As a gag, I'd be tempted to put a P-Touch type black on white label over my name and use something else. Certainly it would be noticed when handed to a server, and I wonder how they'd react.
    How did you manage that?  I'm guessing that you entered your two initials as your "first name"?  So I should have entered "Random I." as my first name if wanted that on my card, I suppose.  I wonder what Apple has against middle initials.