Apple to live-stream September special event on YouTube for first time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Apple on Friday posted a placeholder to its official YouTube channel informing fans that it will be using the popular video-sharing platform to stream next week's special media event.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple plans to stream the Sept. 10 event live on YouTube in what will be a first for the company.

While Apple routinely offers live video coverage of its product unveilings on Apple.com and through the Apple Events app, and later uploads those presentations to YouTube, the company has never leveraged Google's platform to host an event livestream. Considering YouTube's near ubiquity, Apple's decision opens viewing options to a myriad of mobile, desktop and streaming devices.

Fans interested in watching the stream on YouTube rather than Apple's own platform can visit the company's page and set a localized reminder for showtime.

Apple has in the past used similar mechanisms to advertise upcoming events on social media outlets. Last year, for example, the company issued a promoted tweet from its official Twitter account that, when "liked," enrolled users to receive an automated reminder to tune in to the iPhone XR and XS unveiling. An identical tweet was sent out for 2018's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Apple has yet to tweet out a reminder for the Sept. 10 gathering, but on Thursday updated the Apple Events app for iOS and tvOS in preparation of what is expected to be the introduction of new iPhone and Apple Watch models. Also rumored to debut are Tile-like tracker devices for use with iPhone and potentially a special "one more thing" surprise.

AppleInsider will provide live coverage of the event starting at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I often feel Apple may have missed a big opportunity in not buying YouTube many years ago. Though monetizing it may have been the issue. Not sure if Apple wanted to have it be ad based.

Does AppleInsider have any info on Apple ever considering buying YouTube? Sorry if i missed an article. 
  • Reply 2 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    8thman said:
    I often feel Apple may have missed a big opportunity in not buying YouTube many years ago. Though monetizing it may have been the issue. Not sure if Apple wanted to have it be ad based.

Does AppleInsider have any info on Apple ever considering buying YouTube? Sorry if i missed an article. 
    AFAIK Apple never showed any interest in buying Youtube. They did however have an interest in buying an ad platform, AdMob, and eventually outbid by Google. Not willing to be outdone Apple then bought a different ad placement company, Quattro Wireless. 

Apple hasn't always been against ad targeting and they've spent hundreds of $millions trying to be successful with it. They just haven't been very good making money from it so far but still have a fingertip in the game. They haven't completely given up. 
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Weird. WTF wants to bother with YouTube when one can just watch it on the apple site? 
  • Reply 4 of 32
    cornchip said:
    Weird. WTF wants to bother with YouTube when one can just watch it on the apple site? 
    Watching video in a browser is so...year 200X.  Sarcasm aside, I was always surprised these events weren’t streamed directly through iTunes/Apple Music, but I suppose a web browser is more universally available to a wider non-Apple audience.  I’d be surprised if either if those apps weren’t capable of hosting a live video stream. 
  • Reply 5 of 32
    It can’t hurt to make the steams available from other locations. My only concern is with watching from YouTube is the incessant ads every few minutes. If that’s what going to happen with the live stream Apple should just make it available as a replay. 
  • Reply 6 of 32
    nikos said:
    It can’t hurt to make the steams available from other locations. My only concern is with watching from YouTube is the incessant ads every few minutes. If that’s what going to happen with the live stream Apple should just make it available as a replay. 
    FWIW I don't remember the last time I saw a YouTube ad. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:
    I see them so many times I lost count.  I always try to click off the ads.
    StrangeDayslkrupppscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 32
    macseeker said:
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:
    I see them so many times I lost count.  I always try to click off the ads.
    I never get ads on YouTube. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cornchip said:
    Does it work with every browser?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Whatever. I'll watch it through their site, on Safari, which I can pop out and layer over my work through macOS Mojave. No feeding the Mountain View Ad Company for me.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:

NRWA (Not Really Worth Anything)
    Saw two yesterday. 

But a third ad I went looking for.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3rvyhu2PbkA
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Quite interested in seeing if this Apple tag comes to anything. We have a cat who’s been trying to upgrade to wealthier owners for a while now. A tag might help keep track of her ungrateful fuzzy ass. 

IreneWradarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:
    You must not use YouTube very often. They come up every single day on any channel that is monetizing.
    edited September 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Hope Apple made good agreement to avoid live stream being interrupted by ads.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    The tweet is long there? Have you even bothered to go to Twitter and check?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:
    You must not use YouTube very often. They come up every single day on any channel that is monetizing.
    Every single day. Music, photography topics and gear reviews, an occasional how-to for some home project, automotive upgrades and installation help, science and tech...

Your iPhone wasn't free, nor is your provider. YouTube isn't either. So you have two choices. Pay with your eyeballs (like watching over-the-air TV, seen an NFL or college game lately) or pay for a subscription that avoids that form of monetizing. Fortunately Youtube is one of those that offers that option. I pay for a subscription.

Complaining "OMG the ads" but not willing to pay to change it? If you're too cheap to pay for a subscription, or simply don't have much reason to use it,  you don't really have anything to complain about IMHO. 
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    nikos said:
    Every single day. Music, photography topics and gear reviews, an occasional how-to for some home project, automotive upgrades and installation help, science and tech...

Your iPhone wasn't free, nor is your provider. YouTube isn't either. So you have two choices. Pay with your eyeballs (like watching over-the-air TV, seen an NFL or college game lately) or pay for a subscription that avoids that form of monetizing. Fortunately Youtube is one of those that offers that option. I pay for a subscription.

Complaining "OMG the ads" but not willing to pay to change it? If you're too cheap to pay for a subscription, or simply don't have much reason to use it,  you don't really have anything to complain about IMHO. 
    Do you pay for a YouTube subscription?

it also seems to depend on the content you’re watching and the device on which you watch it, but yes, I see them almost every time I watch a video, but there are some times I don’t. Then there are times I don’t and then when I reload the video I do. 

As as far as live-streaming on YouTube goes, I’m not really clear on the benefit. Taking the load off of Apple’s servers? Browsers are virtually universal; if there’s someone that wants to watch it, I can’t imagine that would be a barrier. I never felt compelled to watch anyway. I’ll read the summary on AI and go back to watch the relevant stuff if I’m interested. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I wonder which stream is lower bandwidth?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    I've noticed a big uptick in ads on YouTube very recently but that is the nature of the beast nowadays so I accept it as I'm not interested in subscribing.

If it ever got to the levels of OTA TV I would stop using it (I rarely watch TV nowadays).

Using YouTube will grant them a wider audience. The reasons may be technical or marketing, I don't know.

I normally watched them after the event but skipped last year's presentation completely. They became overly long and stuffed with 'we have a video to show you' and the combination of a spaced out Jony Ive staring into skyward and Tim's monotonous tone made me want switch off.

Craig is worth the time although I liked it years ago when he was a bundle of nerves and had that edge to things where you wanted to edge him on. Phil also used to be fun but today he's just a corporate cog.

I'll try to tune in live if my schedule allows. I hope Jony doesn't make a video appearance and that Tim quickly hands over to others.
    Carnage
  • Reply 20 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cornchip said:
    There are countless TVs and media streaming appliances that have a YouTube app built-in.