Apple debuts iPhone 11 Pro from $999 with triple rear camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    All I can says 2500 Aud for a phone is now getting ridiculous.  
  • Reply 102 of 171
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gskibum said:
    Sticking with my iPhone 7 for another year. Or until it stops working reliably.
    That’s a smart move because it’s the last year the modem was always from QualComm.   I think these phones still have Intel modems.   My iPhone 7+ is much better than my iPhone 8+.   I’m waiting another year for the QualComm based phones.   Very Glad they wised up and lowered the price of the 11 but still not very compelling to upgrade.

• Reply 103 of 171
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Wow, the Filmic Pro demo was impressive.
    Agreed. That Chinese game company was impressive also. 
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 171
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    evilution said:
    Matthew C said:
    Lightning connector on a phone labeled as PRO, what is apple thinking!
    What's un-pro about Lightning? There are some very un-pro Android phones with USB-C.
    Don’t encourage these trolls. Maybe they’ll just go away. 
  • Reply 105 of 171
    I have been trying to upgrade my iPhone but when it gets to accessing the Upgrade Program information, everything stops with the circle going around and around for hours.  
    Anybody else has this problem?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 171

Basically, the dullest Apple keynote I can recall. I said some weeks ago that I expected one that was somewhere in the spectrum of ‘blah’ to ‘meh’: that turned out to be a wildly optimistic prediction.

Apple appears to be currently in a holding pattern vis-à-vis its products and services. Looking on the bright side, the stock was flat.

I’ll wait for 2020.

What a shock. Maybe next year you can delight and surprise us by not complaining so much in advance?
    Will do. Oh, I should have added (as I mentioned in another thread), the format of these keynotes is getting to be quite stale. It needs to be reimagined.
    You've misunderstood the purpose of the keynotes -- it isn't to alleviate  boredom, it's to announce and demo new products and services. Visit a rollercoaster park if you're looking for something more exciting. 
    I know what to do/where to go for excitement. I generally don’t take advice from anonymous nothings on the internet. Thanks anyway.
    edited September 2019 gatorguySpamSandwichchemengin1
  • Reply 107 of 171
    StrangeDays said:
    5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    I've heard the hype -- so fast it's going to change everything. Yyyeaah. For most people, that means faster loading web pages on the bus.
    Theres no arguing with ignorance.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 108 of 171
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    78Bandit said:
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Cmon man, A camera with a processor bump. Really?

I didn't expect much more as I stated in my post. 

You may post a lot but I'm sure many people would agree that LATELY (so you don't take it out of context) Apple's iPhones have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW
    You don't get Apple. It's almost always been evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations. They're tools, they aren't designed to alleviate you of boredom on a Tuesday afternoon.

Apple is the one who titled the event "By Innovation Only".  Personally I didn't see anything that would be considered innovative.
    The Watch certainly continues to be innovative, as is Apple's A13 SOC, and I have no complaints about the triple camera being extremely user friendly, an innovation that similar Android OS devices seem to lack.
  • Reply 109 of 171
    A thousand bucks is just too much for a phone. Count me out
  • Reply 110 of 171
    Jordanf1 said:
    All I can says 2500 Aud for a phone is now getting ridiculous.  
    Get one of the cheaper tiers. If you don’t need the top-tier offering, you don’t need it. Certainly aren’t entitled to it. 
    lolliverbrucemcCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 171

Basically, the dullest Apple keynote I can recall. I said some weeks ago that I expected one that was somewhere in the spectrum of ‘blah’ to ‘meh’: that turned out to be a wildly optimistic prediction.

Apple appears to be currently in a holding pattern vis-à-vis its products and services. Looking on the bright side, the stock was flat.

I’ll wait for 2020.

What a shock. Maybe next year you can delight and surprise us by not complaining so much in advance?
    Will do. Oh, I should have added (as I mentioned in another thread), the format of these keynotes is getting to be quite stale. It needs to be reimagined.
    You've misunderstood the purpose of the keynotes -- it isn't to alleviate  boredom, it's to announce and demo new products and services. Visit a rollercoaster park if you're looking for something more exciting. 
    I know what to do/where to go for excitement. I generally don’t take advice from anonymous nothings on the internet. Thanks anyway.
    LOL, nice jab son. Cool, then keep on being disappointed. The dissemination of info and demos by office workers isn’t designed to relieve you of life’s doldrums. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 171

StrangeDays said:
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    I've heard the hype -- so fast it's going to change everything. Yyyeaah. For most people, that means faster loading web pages on the bus.
    But there is arguing with boneheadery. What do most people do? Surf the web. Faster downloads on a bus (maybe) isn’t life shattering. You’ve fallen for the hype I’m afraid. They must love you at the dealership.  
    edited September 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 171

dougd said:
    Cool, get the regular iPhone, $699. Oh but you waaaant the Pro. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 171
    dougd said:
    Then don't get the phone that costs that much. There was also another brand new iPhone that is much cheaper than that with great features.

You know...I want a $40,000 car too but I'm not pissing and moaning about the price of it in a forum because I cannot afford it when I can just get another car that's half the price with similar features. Believe it or not, Apple did exactly what most wanted and lowered their prices. When is it ever enough? Do you want a free phone or something?
    edited September 2019 lolliverbrucemcwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 115 of 171
    78Bandit said:
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

Cmon man, A camera with a processor bump. Really?

I didn't expect much more as I stated in my post. 

You may post a lot but I'm sure many people would agree that LATELY (so you don't take it out of context) Apple's iPhones have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW
    You don't get Apple. It's almost always been evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations. They're tools, they aren't designed to alleviate you of boredom on a Tuesday afternoon.

Apple is the one who titled the event "By Innovation Only".  Personally I didn't see anything that would be considered innovative.
    Maybe they should've titled it "By Iteration Only"
    gatorguyanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 116 of 171

StrangeDays said:

But there is arguing with boneheadery. What do most people do? Surf the web. Faster downloads on a bus (maybe) isn’t life shattering. You’ve fallen for the hype I’m afraid. They must love you at the dealership.  
    AR is a feature that's gonna rely heavily on 5G. And we all know how Tim Cook feels about AR.
    dicebier1anantksundaram
  • Reply 117 of 171

dougd said:
    Just wondering....are you working as a PR rep for Apple? People....check his threads....its ridiculous, he critisizes anyone who doesn't drink every ounce of cool aid that is poured by Apple.

and as far as me "reading up" on Apple's history? Cmon man....

iPhone 1 was REVOLUTIONARY
    iPhone 4 was REVOLUTIONARY
    iPhone 7 was arguably the best iPhone made
    Biometrics was REVOLUTIONARY 

there were plenty of REVOLUTIONARY products released in the past 10 years so please show me a post where you don't defend anything that Apple shows you.

BTW don't EVEN call me a troll, I love Apple and their products and their ecosystem BUT I will call out when something deserves a yawn.

Apparently you won't
    anantksundaramchemengin1
  • Reply 118 of 171
    Apple has unveiled its 2019 refresh of the OLED-based iPhone models, with the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max an extra rear camera, and extended battery life.

Fundamentally similar to the 2018 iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max were revealed at Apple's "By innovation only" event at the Steve Jobs Theater on Tuesday. Equipped with new Super Retina XDR 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays, the new models might look similar to their predecessors, but add significant speed improvements and new functions like novel camera capabilities.

The new triple-camera system brings the expected Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto lenses. The Ultra Wide camera captures four times more scene, while the new Wide sensor comes with 100 percent Focus Pixels to enable a Night mode. Together with the software in iOS 13, Night mode greatly improves photos shot in both indoor and outdoor low-light situations.

All three cameras record 4K video at 60 frames per second with what Apple claims is an extended dynamic range and with cinematic video stablization for action videos.

When users switch between the different lenses, the iPhone 11 Pro models have an Audio Zoom feature that matches the audio to the current video framing. The iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max also add a new spatial audio feature offering Dolby Atmos and surround sound.

New color finishes for the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
    New color finishes for the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Alongside automatic features such as this, the Photos app in iOS 13 has gained video editing tools to allow rotation, cropping, filters and exposure controls at a touch.

Apple has also improved the battery life of both its iPhone 11 Pro models.

"We are so excited to tell you that with iPhone 11 Pro you get four hours longer in your day," said Phil Schiller. "With iPhone 11 Pro Max, you get up to five hours longer."

As predicted, the iPhone 11 Pro models retain the Lightning connector but Apple is providing the 18W USB-C charger for faster charging. Qi charging remains.

The new Super Retina XDR display is a custom-designed OLED one with up to 1,200 nits brightness, wide color support, system-wide color management and True Tone. It provides a two million-to-one contrast ratio and is more power efficient than its predecessor in the 2018 iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

Schiller also presented what he called a sneak peek of Deep Fusion, a feature that is going to be added to the iPhone 11 Pro with a software update later in this fall.

It uses the neural engine of the A13 Bionic processor and machine learning. When you press the shutter button, the camera has already taken four shots and it then takes four more afterwards. The iPhone then analyses 24 million pixels across all these images to optimize for detail and low noise.

"This is the first time a neural engine has been responsible for generating the output image," he said.

The iPhone 11 Pro has the familiar 5.8-inch 2436-by-1125 pixel resolution display, with the Pro Max bumping it up to a 6.5-inch 2688-by-1242 resolution version, with both having an identical pixel density of 458 pixels per inch, with a 2,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

Inside both models is the 64-bit A13 Bionic processor, a 7-nanometer chip. For this year's iteration, the A13 has a quad-core GPU and a 6-core CPU, with each offering performance improvements of approximately 20 percent over last year's release, the A12.

New Night Mode on iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
    New Night Mode on iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Due to the use of an extra camera, the camera bump on the back has been given a makeover, with it taking a square formation to accommodate the additional sensor and lens. The bump is wider than in previous versions, meaning those upgrading from the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be forced to acquire a new case at the very least.

On the front is the TrueDepth Camera array, which is used to power Face ID. The sensor has been upgraded to take 12-megapixel images, as well as providing Portrait Lighting effects including bokeh and depth control, smart HDR, and Animoji and Memoji support.

Both the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max will come in silver, gold, space gray and new midnight green finishes. Regardless of finish, the iPhone 11 Pro will retail from $999, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max begins at $1,099. The phones will ship September 20.
    64gb base in 2019 😂😂😂are you freaking kidding me , I’ll pass on this phone 
    dicebier1chemengin1
  • Reply 119 of 171

dougd said:

No I'm keeping my 7+

dicebier1anantksundaram
  • Reply 120 of 171
    You get an evolution [revolution by any other vendor] of the guts and structure and much more with the iPhone 11 series [I'm going to get the MAX and let my 8 PLUS be a back up] upgrade and yet it is quite clear if you have a Developer subscription and checking out the hardware that this phone and watch hands down are miles ahead of their respective competition.

The software coming for the 11 Pro line to truly leverage the film making capabilities w/o breaking the bank is limited only by the limited imagination of the simpletons who still rave about my former boss, Steve Jobs, as if he would have offered something beyond the Moon today, when he would have just delivered the same products with more polish in the Keynote address.
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobrafastasleep