Apple's macOS Catalina causing problems with select eGPU setups

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    Who's talking about "third graders"?  I certainly didn't insinuate that about anyone here so I'm assuming that you're stating that I'm talking down to people, which I haven't done.  I'm also not talking about using the 10-15% use case to define the entire usage paradigm.  That's bad  logic, all the way around.  

Umbrellas usually stop the rain.  Oh but oops, once I had this umbrella and it BROKE during the rain.  Ergo, now the application of umbrellas is "complex".  No, no it's not. It's simple.  sometimes umbrellas can fail.  Usually they work.  That's called living in the real world.

Keeping things simple for new initiates into egpu use is exactly what we have to do.  Not pretend that things are more complicated than they usually are, just because on exceptional use cases, things may go wrong.

There is no "egpu in bootcamp".  Bootcamp loads Windows. The egpu is in Windows. Once the efi has finished and the Mac has booted into Windows, it is no longer in "bootcamp".  I never said Apple supported egpus in Windows.  I said the OPPOSITE. And that's because once the computer boots through bootcamp into Windows, it's a Windows computer.

I'm going to put my money with my mouth is, and rather than replying to someone who just accused me of lying and "talking crap", I'm going to address the other readers:

If you are curious about egpus and you want to try it out or are open to the idea of buying an egpu-based system for work or play,  feel free to PM me and I'll help you get set up.  I'm someone that has 3 egpu systems (all functioning properly) in his house (used for several years), 2 with thunderbolt 3 and one with thunderbolt 1 (2 AMD and 1 nVidia).  If you'd rather take other people's word on the issue, that's your prerogative.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    madan said:
    Who's talking about "third graders"?  I certainly didn't insinuate that about anyone here so I'm assuming that you're stating that I'm talking down to people, which I haven't done.  I'm also not talking about using the 10-15% use case to define the entire usage paradigm.  That's bad  logic, all the way around.  

Umbrellas usually stop the rain.  Oh but oops, once I had this umbrella and it BROKE during the rain.  Ergo, now the application of umbrellas is "complex".  No, no it's not. It's simple.  sometimes umbrellas can fail.  Usually they work.  That's called living in the real world.

Keeping things simple for new initiates into egpu use is exactly what we have to do.  Not pretend that things are more complicated than they usually are, just because on exceptional use cases, things may go wrong.

There is no "egpu in bootcamp".  Bootcamp loads Windows. The egpu is in Windows. Once the efi has finished and the Mac has booted into Windows, it is no longer in "bootcamp".  I never said Apple supported egpus in Windows.  I said the OPPOSITE. And that's because once the computer boots through bootcamp into Windows, it's a Windows computer.

I'm going to put my money with my mouth is, and rather than replying to someone who just accused me of lying and "talking crap", I'm going to address the other readers:

If you are curious about egpus and you want to try it out or are open to the idea of buying an egpu-based system for work or play,  feel free to PM me and I'll help you get set up.  I'm someone that has 3 egpu systems (all functioning properly) in his house (used for several years), 2 with thunderbolt 3 and one with thunderbolt 1 (2 AMD and 1 nVidia).  If you'd rather take other people's word on the issue, that's your prerogative.
    I was clear about what I meant by third-graders, and I explained it fully in the accompanying paragraph.

And, your umbrella analogy is ludicrous. In regards to your 10-15% use case, this isn't even remotely accurate. Apple sells more 13-inch MacBook pros than they do 15-inch, and always have. So, sure. If you want to call the 35%+ of the user base that's trying to do this on a 13-inch MacBook pro not the "entire usage paradigm," that's up to you, I guess. You'd be accurate about it not being the entire use case, but tell that to the 35% that have a 90% failure rate, and they probably won't agree with you.

Having a 13-inch MacBook Pro that isn't the currently shipping model is in no way an "exceptional use case."

Windows can't do a single thing about Apple's choices in regards to PCI-E channel allocation on these 13-inch machines, which is the core of the matter that you keep glossing over. Thus, the workarounds that, again, the site you linked to talks about.

If you want to get into an appeal to authority with that last paragraph, you really, really don't want to fight me on this. You might want to check the bylines on nearly every eGPU piece of any sort that AI has published in the last three years. It's good that you want to help folks, but when you do, especially if you try to help out AI readers, be realistic about it, and the operational concerns.
    edited October 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 43 of 48
    I'm not going to an appeal to anything. I'm offering my help. Period. I'm not going to defend people making ridiculous allegations about me "talking crap".  This thread has turned hostile and you're not helping.  If everyone here says it doesn't work well, I'll prove to the people that contact me that it works pretty damned well.  And everyone can march off in their own direction believing whatever the hell they want.

That's it.  You're ascribing intent to me, where none exists.  

As for the rest of the conversation...I'm not just counting macbooks.  Mac Minis. iMacs.  Mac Pros are all targets for egpus. Hell, you could even try Windows laptops/boxes.  I've gotten most of those systems to work (Never tried a Mac Pro).  So I'm willing to help anyone that pms me. That's it.

You can sit there and tell everyone differently for all I care.  
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    madan said:
    I'm not going to an appeal to anything. I'm offering my help. Period. I'm not going to defend people making ridiculous allegations about me "talking crap".  This thread has turned hostile and you're not helping.  If everyone here says it doesn't work well, I'll prove to the people that contact me that it works pretty damned well.  And everyone can march off in their own direction believing whatever the hell they want.

That's it.  You're ascribing intent to me, where none exists.  

As for the rest of the conversation...I'm not just counting macbooks.  Mac Minis. iMacs.  Mac Pros are all targets for egpus. Hell, you could even try Windows laptops/boxes.  I've gotten most of those systems to work (Never tried a Mac Pro).  So I'm willing to help anyone that pms me. That's it.

You can sit there and tell everyone differently for all I care.  
    If I was ascribing intent to you, it would be obvious. My discussions are about your overly-rosy view of the situation which are not supported by a sample size larger than your own hardware. And, like I said, eGPUs are good, overall. I didn't say anything to you about "talking crap" -- that was somebody else.

I am telling you this now, though. Do not give AI readers bad or incomplete information. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't, it's a problem to troubleshoot.
    edited October 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 48
    It was obvious.  You took simple willingness to help and conflated to a comparison of egpu resumes.  I believe in this technology.  It's the best compute value technology on the Mac platform.  What are you other options?  A 10 grand Mac pro? A 6 grad iMac Pro?  That's about it.

As for what hardware I own, I've already said what I own.  I don't need to prove anything to you.  But here, if it makes some people feel better, here's one of my rigs.

I always eat my own dogfood and I stand by what I say.  And the offer stands.  Anyone that needs help with egpus...pm me.  
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 46 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lol

Never back down dude, your experience is the only one that matters, everyone else is the exception.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    madan said:

I get some of you don't like Windows.  It certainly has flaws and issues. (1903 post .300...grrr) but acting like it doesn't do something when it clearly does...is misleading and FUD.
    I qualified my statement, and then deferred to people with actual experience with the issue. Just because you have had good luck, doesn't mean everyone will, and your own cited sources say the same thing. Go FUD yourself. 
  • Reply 48 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    madan said:
    It was obvious.  You took simple willingness to help and conflated to a comparison of egpu resumes. 
    You talk a big game, and while some of what you've said here is helpful (as in the Mac Pro thread), but you're a terrible listener.