Three episodes of AppleTV+ 'For All Mankind' coming on November 1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple debuted the alt-history drama "For All Mankind" on Tuesday night, and shared a few details about what to expect when AppleTV+ launches on November 1.

Apple premiered "For All Mankind" today at the Regency Village Theater in Westwood, California. Besides reiterating that the drama is coming exclusively to Apple TV+ on November 1, Apple also said that the first three episodes of the show will be available to watch concurrently when the Apple TV+ service launches.

Apple will be following a weekly release schedule until the entire run has aired. New episodes will continue to roll out weekly, every Friday.

Created by Ronald D. Moore, previously known for his work on "Star Trek," the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica," and "Outlander," "For All Mankind" is based on the what-if scenario of the Soviet Union beating the United States to land on the Moon. The failure to be first to Earth's satellite prompts NASA to further its development to become the first to complete other space endeavors, with the show telling the story from the viewpoint of the astronauts, engineers, and their families.

Moore is an Executive Producer for the show, working alongside Maril Davis, Matt Wolpert, and Ben Nedivi. The stars of the show include Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones, and Jodi Balfour.

Left to right: Jodi Balfour, Joel Kinnaman, Sarah Jones, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten.
Left to right: Jodi Balfour, Joel Kinnaman, Sarah Jones, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten.

Rather than being limited to one country, Apple will be rolling out Apple TV+ to 100 markets at launch on November 1. Along with Apple devices like the Apple TV, iPhone, and Mac, Apple is also making the service available on third-party hardware, starting with select Samsung smart TVs. Purchasers of a new device in September and on will get a free year of the service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is just MY PERSONAL OPINION. I was seven years old when Sputnik was launched into orbit by the USSR. I was a teenager during the space race in the 1960s. I lived through it all glued to the television screen. I remember it all as if it happened yesterday. So excuse me if I scoff at the “what-if” premise of this offering by Apple. I’m pretty sure we will be treated to a revisionist, politically correct version of American history while they’re at it. The truth is that to this very day the Russians have never landed a Cosmonaut on the moon. Communism did not conquer the world with its superior technology and economic system. Period.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    This is just MY PERSONAL OPINION. I was seven years old when Sputnik was launched into orbit by the USSR. I was a teenager during the space race in the 1960s. I lived through it all glued to the television screen. I remember it all as if it happened yesterday. So excuse me if I scoff at the “what-if” premise of this offering by Apple. I’m pretty sure we will be treated to a revisionist, politically correct version of American history while they’re at it. The truth is that to this very day the Russians have never landed a Cosmonaut on the moon. Communism did not conquer the world with its superior technology and economic system. Period.
    Space: 1999 must have really bothered you.
    tmayJWSCfastasleeplolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    Well said. And I also wanna talk about something else that everyone here seems too afraid to talk about.

Will Smith never saved us from aliens. It's BS that they would try to trick the American people into believing Independence Day was declared because of him. Alien races did not conquer the world or are not superior as far as their technology. Period. 
    rare commentmatrix077jahbladeWgkruegertmayfastasleeplolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey seven times when it came out. I listened to commentary by Arthur C. Clark during the moon landing. I love good, well thought out SciFi, not the trash that TV was offering and still offers, except for Star Trek of course. Asimov, Clark, and Heinlein are my SciFi gods. Do you grok?
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 5 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    Well said. And I also wanna talk about something else that everyone here seems too afraid to talk about.

Will Smith never saved us from aliens. It's BS that they would try to trick the American people into believing Independence Day was declared because of him. Alien races did not conquer the world or are not superior as far as their technology. Period. 
    I like what you’re doing. :)
    jahbladefastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 6 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    lkrupp said:
    Amazon seems to have something in a similar vein which has been very well received;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_(TV_series)

Perhaps you are not the intended demographic?

fastasleeplolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 17
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    lkrupp said:
    An AppleTV+ Space 1999 reboot would be awesome!  I’d subscribe just for that.  It would have to be renamed to Space 2099 or something like that.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    lkrupp said:

That right!  Space aliens never conquered the earth.  Our robot overloads saw to that.
    edited October 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Just thinking about the title space 1999 depresses me. I have a model of the transporter. Why did we stop? Which I presume is the original premise of this show.
    Look, I know where Lkrup is coming from. Some great concepts can get wrecked by writers, enabled by their so sophisticated producers, who are over eager to communicate their message with a sledgehammer to the point you just wanna do the opposite. 

Edit: Also, get off my lawn.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 10 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    Amazon seems to have something in a similar vein which has been very well received;

I was just going to post about this. I love that show. Imagine refusing to enjoy fantasy TV because of they have very strong feelings about reality. 

Still this isn’t as funny as the guy complaining that kids were going to watch Dickenson and write school papers based on what’s obviously historical fantasy. The horror. 
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

I was just going to post about this. I love that show. Imagine refusing to enjoy fantasy TV because of they have very strong feelings about reality. 

Still this isn’t as funny as the guy complaining that kids were going to watch Dickenson and write school papers based on what’s obviously historical fantasy. The horror. 
    They will. Easier than reading the poems themselves.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    What part of “alternative history” fiction are you struggling with? Did you likewise moan about the Japanese and Germans not winning WW2 when Amazon released Man in The High Castle? 

“Yyyyyeaaaahhh....”
  • Reply 13 of 17

entropys said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

They will. Easier than reading the poems themselves.
    No, watching an entire series takes longer than reading poetry. Nobody, nobody is going to inadvertently write their term papers on her life based on the modern-lingo sitcom TV show. That’s just creative fiction in your head.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I can’t believe you have not had teachers regale you with tales of students doing a critique obviously based on the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, or grade 7 boys describing their favourite book of Conan the Barbarian written by Arnold Swarzeneggar. 
    Heck even that Emma Stone flick Easy A had a running gag about that very thing regarding The Crucible (which should be compulsory reading for much of the world today BTW).
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    What part of “alternative history” fiction are you struggling with? Did you likewise moan about the Japanese and Germans not winning WW2 when Amazon released Man in The High Castle? 

“Yyyyyeaaaahhh....”
    Shhh, Philip K. Dick wasn't in his vetted sci-fi writer list.
    tmay
  • Reply 16 of 17

entropys said:
    I can’t believe you have not had teachers regale you with tales of students doing a critique obviously based on the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, or grade 7 boys describing their favourite book of Conan the Barbarian written by Arnold Swarzeneggar. 
    Heck even that Emma Stone flick Easy A had a running gag about that very thing regarding The Crucible (which should be compulsory reading for much of the world today BTW).
    So? We should abolish all historical fiction because some kids did something stupid? Did you come out as strongly against Cliff's Notes? Wikipedia? The Internet in fucking general?

They'll get the grade they deserve. I got a solid D+ on the Grapes of Wrath after bullshitting my way through a written exam having only read one chapter, and that was more than I should've earned. Kids do stupid shit, news at 11.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Not at all. I am looking forward to it. Part of the fun is fearing what the tosses will do to it though.