Apple Watch saves Calgary woman from rapist

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2019
The Apple Watch has been credited with preventing the rape of a woman in Calgary earlier this year, after the wearable device was used to contact her partner following a suspected break-in attempt at her apartment.

John Joseph Macindoe pleaded guilty at a court in Calgary on Tuesday, on charges of breaking and entering with intent to sexually assault a woman, whose identity is protected by a publication ban. While the crime that was committed was breaking and entering, Macindoe's possession of a bag containing supplies that were clearly intended for rape, as well as the circumstances of the incident, exacerbated the charges.

On April 1, the woman was asleep in her home following a day at work, but woke to the sound of her dogs barking. On seeing a figure moving around her home, CBC reports she texted her boyfriend via her Apple Watch, who in turn called 911.

It was discovered Macindoe had spent time hovering over the intended victim, and at one point attempted to touch her feet. The woman feigned a shift in her sleep to counter the touch. On the arrival of the police, Macindoe hid in the kitchen as the woman opened the door.

Macindoe was found to be in possession of a rape bag, which included a balaclava, buck knife, pliers, zip ties, condoms, lubricant, Benadryl, a ball gag, bondage straps, and pink animal-print duct tape. Macindoe had apparently planned the rape for some time, and had taken the trouble to clone her building's access card and key.

On searching his apartment, investigators found other sinister elements, including three pairs of the woman's underwear, a bag containing her hair, and a blueprint of the building with her apartment highlighted. A computer at the building also had the woman's image used as a screensaver.

The investigation determined the two people knew each other, but were not involved in any sort of relationship at all.

Sentencing for the crime has yet to be determined.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    "she texted her boyfriend via her Apple Watch, who in turn called 911."

Weird. I wonder if she contacted her boyfriend first because police tend to take their sweet time? She probably thought he would show up faster.
    cy_starkmancornchipjony0
  • Reply 2 of 40
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    This man needs to be locked up for a good long while to think about his actions, and his apparent obsession, maybe even get some serious help.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Weird. I wonder if she contacted her boyfriend first because police tend to take their sweet time? She probably thought he would show up faster.
    Texting 911 isn’t available everywhere, nd where it is available you can’t expect everyone to know you can do that. 
    GeorgeBMacPickUrPoisondysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    neilm said:
    bsimpsen said:
    The author must not know the definition of "rape kit"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_kit

The previous, deleted post called for a re-write of the headline, which I think is appropriate.

ETA: The headline of the cited CBC articles is "Apple Watch likely saved Calgary woman from man who had bag of rape tools" which correctly describes the situation.
    I was baffled by the headline too.

I'd also add that this story doesn't seem to have much to do with the Apple Watch. An iPhone or the cheapest feature phone that fell to hand would have served to send a text.
    I thought that maybe she was pushed which initiated the emergency call from fall detection, but this has been possible with every cellphone, landlines, and even some pagers for decades.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    According to Profiling Violent Crimes, 4th Edition, the term "rape kit" can also be used to describe the bag of tools and implements to be used in the crime. The headline usage, though somewhat confusing, is correct.
    netmagerandominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Texting 911 isn’t available everywhere, nd where it is available you can’t expect everyone to know you can do that. 
    Not "texting" but doesn't Apple Watch have an obvious emergency call function?
    The person was inside the house. I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader why making a call on speaker might be a bad idea.
    edited October 2019 netmagecornchipjbdragonzhiro
  • Reply 7 of 40
    wizard69 said:
    Delete.
    Delete.
    Delete.
    Yes some people need to be deleted from society.    
    I don’t believe I posted three times? If so, it must’ve been on the server side. I only posted one response because the headline looked really wrong, then after reading the story more carefully it appeared to be correct, but confusing. So, I deleted my comment.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    neilm said:
    bsimpsen said:
    The author must not know the definition of "rape kit"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_kit

The previous, deleted post called for a re-write of the headline, which I think is appropriate.

ETA: The headline of the cited CBC articles is "Apple Watch likely saved Calgary woman from man who had bag of rape tools" which correctly describes the situation.
    I was baffled by the headline too.

I'd also add that this story doesn't seem to have much to do with the Apple Watch. An iPhone or the cheapest feature phone that fell to hand would have served to send a text.
    From the linked CBC article: “ She tried to look around without moving her head and noticed her phone was gone. Anna realized she was wearing an Apple Watch and managed to text her boyfriend, who called 911”. 

So, there was no iPhone or cheap feature phone that could “fall to hand”.
    netmageGeorgeBMaclolliverfastasleepcornchipcaladaniansteveaugenovellejbdragonkurai
  • Reply 9 of 40
    James Bond had a watch that concealed a powerful laser.  Now that would have been an effective tool against this sicko.  Tim Cook, are you listening?
    SoliuraharacornchipStrangeDaysjbdragonzhirowatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 40
    ciacia Posts: 253member
    RapeKit is a terrible name for a new API.
    SolirandominternetpersonEric_WVGGStrangeDayszhirokuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    cia said:
    sounds like an internal facebook api for advanced targeted advertising.
    cornchipchiaStrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Texting is not one of Apple Watch's strong suits -- if you can't talk to it (which I assume she couldn't) then you have to draw each letter which is very slow and tedious.  Thankfully she had time to put together a coherent message that got results.

Apple Watch is just amazing.  It promotes your health while protecting your safety in a thousand different ways -- which is the main reason why I got one.   But I also very much enjoy all the other cool things it does as well.
    cornchipgregoriusmcy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40
    James Bond had a watch that concealed a powerful laser.  Now that would have been an effective tool against this sicko.  Tim Cook, are you listening?
    cia said:
    HAHA Love these posts!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Might as well as stapled a confession to his forehead.  If I was a woman I’d own a shotgun, it saves time and lawyer fees...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

The person was inside the house. I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader why making a call on speaker might be a bad idea.

Makes sense. I was under the impression she was in a different room when she texted.

I still would have called 911 first unless of course police in her area are as bad as mine. They won't cancel their donut break for you.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Macindoe was found to be in possession of a rape bag, which included a balaclava, buck knife, pliers, zip ties, condoms, lubricant, Benadryl, a ball gag, bondage straps, and pink animal-print duct tape.

What's the Benadryl for?  And the pliers for that matter?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Macindoe was found to be in possession of a rape bag, which included a balaclava, buck knife, pliers, zip ties, condoms, lubricant, Benadryl, a ball gag, bondage straps, and pink animal-print duct tape.

In case she had cats? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    randominternetpersonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40

Makes sense. I was under the impression she was in a different room when she texted.

I still would have called 911 first unless of course police in her area are as bad as mine. They won't cancel their donut break for you.
    They saw the person, who also at one point was hovering over them and trying to touch their feet. Not sure why you keep saying what you would've done differently.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40

Benadryl = antihistamine = sedative
    StrangeDayszhirodysamoriakuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member

You don't always think straight in a stressful situation. That may just have been her instinctive reaction. My dad was having atrial fibrillations and called me instead of an ambulance… I am very not a health care professional, nor do I play one on TV.
    StrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobra