Apple rumored to introduce MacBook with scissor switch keyboard in mid 2020

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
A noted Apple analyst in a research note released on Tuesday presented a more definitive timeline of the company's MacBook plans, saying a new laptop model featuring a traditional scissor switch keyboard will debut in the middle of 2020.

MacBook Pro

Without citing sources, Ming-Chi Kuo of TF International Securities says Apple manufacturing partner Wistron has been tapped as the primary supplier of parts for MacBook's scissor switch keyboards in 2020.

An unidentified MacBook with scissor mechanism technology is set to arrive late in the second quarter or early in the third quarter of 2020. The report fails to specify MacBook variant or screen size, but Kuo is likely referencing updated 2020 MacBook Air or 2020 MacBook Pro models. Alternatively, Apple could be plotting a return of the affordable 12-inch MacBook which was axed from its laptop range this summer.

Apple last updated its MacBook offerings in July with a cheaper Retina display-toting MacBook Air and speed-bumped 13-inch MacBook Pro. The July refresh also nixed function key MacBook Pros in favor of Touch Bar-equipped versions with Touch ID.

Kuo first relayed predictions of Apple's expected move away from the four-year-old butterfly switch to more robust scissor switch keyboards in late July, saying a new 16-inch MacBook Pro would be the first to benefit from the transition. That report noted all MacBook Pros -- 13-, 15- and 16-inch models -- and the 13-inch MacBook Air would eventually adopt scissor switch keys in 2020, a design to be carried forward into 2021.

Subsequent rumors pegged an October release for the 16-inch device, with some analysts guessing Apple will ultimately phase out the current 15-inch variant in favor of a larger-screened option. A report in October claimed mass production of the 16-inch laptop had commenced at manufacturing partner Quanta.

Kuo's note does not appear to suggest a delay in Apple's launch plans for the hotly anticipated top-tier MacBook Pro, as the analyst previously reported manufacturer Sunrex -- not Wistron -- would supply scissor switch mechanisms for the rumored machine. Still, with the end of month just a day away, the chances of an October launch are becoming increasingly slim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    If this happens, it’s really an admission that the butterfly mechanism is inherently flawed.
    cat52bloggerblogchemengin1lkruppdysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    elijahg said:
    If this happens, it’s really an admission that the butterfly mechanism is inherently flawed.
    How so? I certainly don't prefer the feel and Apple surely doesn't like stigma associated with it, but neither of those are definitions for "inherently flawed."
    fastasleeptmayjeffharrisStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 40
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:
    How so? I certainly don't prefer the feel and Apple surely doesn't like stigma associated with it, but neither of those are definitions for "inherently flawed."
    They’ve been so insistent that it’s great and “magical” etc, to abandon it now can only be an admission that it’s flawed, be that flaw mechanical or the perception from users that it’s not as good, or the noise/feel thing people seem to complain about. Otherwise why change it?

I have a 2019 iMac and I love the keyboard on that. Its shorter travel than the 2015 Macbooks, though it’s apparently not butterfly. Maybe that’s what the 16 inch MacBook is going to have. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    elijahg said:
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:
    They’ve been so insistent that it’s great and “magical” etc, to abandon it now can only be an admission that it’s flawed, be that flaw mechanical or the perception from users that it’s not as good, or the noise/feel thing people seem to complain about. Otherwise why change it?

I have a 2019 iMac and I love the keyboard on that. Its shorter travel than the 2015 Macbooks, though it’s apparently not butterfly. Maybe that’s what the 16 inch MacBook is going to have. 
    Is LCD flawed because they moved to OLED on their higher end iPhones? Didn't AI state that the failure rate is about the same for the keyboards? Companies change things up without them being "inherently flawed," just like Apple switched from the scissor mechanism to the butterfly mechanism. We get major HW and SW updates from Apple annually, bu that doesn't means that your device is "inherently flawed" or, as many like to complain, "obsolete" when a newer version comes out.

Did you state years ago that it's removal is "an admission that the scissor mechanism is inherently flawed." Often companies will change things once there's an overwhelming negative stigma that affects sales, regardless of  anything else. We've seen product names and even company names change to get away from it. They may have decided that there is a stigma and that the scissor mechanism is better or that their new scissor mechanism is better, but that doesn't mean that keyboard I"m typing on right now is "inherently flawed" or, as another comment I saw on AI recently, "totally useless."
    edited October 2019 fastasleepforegoneconclusiontmayjeffharrislkruppStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    All I know from my 30 years with Apple - is that it will be an additional upgrade charge to have a keyboard that works...
    caladanianlkruppirelandpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:

Is LCD flawed because they moved to OLED on their higher end iPhones?
    Had they move back to LCD from OLED because of a flaw that couldn’t be resolved then yes.
    atomic101caladanianchemengin1elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Are these the same keyboards that are on the Pros?  Those keyboard are the freakin' worse I've ever used in my life, apart from the Timex Sinclair 1000.  The Sinclair 1500 is actually better.  You'd think Apple would be better than a Timex from the 80s.
    irelandpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 40
    How can you keep on selling MBPs with a faulty keyboard??? This really sucks. I will never ever but a MBP with a butterfly keyboard. 
    ireland
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Flawed or not the butterfly keyboard has such a negative street hype that Apple could have decided it’s just not worth it to keep pushing the design.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    elijahg said:
    That’s a ridiculous statement, Apple has already confirmed the butterfly keyboard suffers from a number of issues, including:
    • Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
    • Letters or characters do not appear
    • Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner
    There seem to be fewer problems with the 2019 revision, according to AI. They’ll either keep the butterfly, switch back to scissor or maybe develop a new type. Who knows? 
    razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 40
    am I seriously the only one here without issue with the keyboard? I enjoy the butterfly keyboard. my wife has the MacBook with the butterfly keyboard too and thinks that she types faster on it. I like the less travel and the evenness of the keystrokes. I have never had any issue and I use mine every day. To be fair, I also have a no food/drink near the computer policy that is strictly enforced. 
    firelockcincymacjeffharris
  • Reply 12 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    revenant said:
    am I seriously the only one here without issue with the keyboard? I enjoy the butterfly keyboard. my wife has the MacBook with the butterfly keyboard too and thinks that she types faster on it. I like the less travel and the evenness of the keystrokes. I have never had any issue and I use mine every day. To be fair, I also have a no food/drink near the computer policy that is strictly enforced. 
    With these keyboards you can be fine and possibly think people are overly sensitive to issues, only to be struck yourself when you least expect it.

Look at the wording of Apple's keyboard repair extension programme:

"Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:"

The keyword here is 'percentage' instead of 'number'.

Clearly, this isn't a component or manufacturing issue. If that were the case you would be able to pump your serial number into the system and see if you are potentially affected.

This issue applies to all machines in the affected series and most of them are butterfly keyboards. Apple will only cover you for four years from the purchase date but, due to the design of recent MB/MBPs, the repair itself (if needed) can be quite expensive. Far more expensive than a what a keyboard issue should cost.

My conclusion is that buying one of these machines gets you a free entry to Apple's special lottery because that's basically what it is.

You can be fine today and borked tomorrow and the underlying reason isn't manufacturing or component failure in the classic sense - it is the design.

In late 2016 I decided not to touch anything with a butterfly keyboard (among other things) and I am still using older generation MBPs and an Air.
    muthuk_vanalingamargonautdysamoriaelijahgirelandBigDann
  • Reply 13 of 40
    My dream of buying a new MBP will have to wait until 2020 to get a new keyboard and 32GB in a 13" model.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    My dream of buying a new MBP will have to wait until 2020 to get a new keyboard and 32GB in a 13" model.
    It might even be 14” by then :)

• Reply 15 of 40
    Soli said: Is LCD flawed because they moved to OLED on their higher end iPhones? Didn't AI state that the failure rate is about the same for the keyboards? Companies change things up without them being "inherently flawed," just like Apple switched from the scissor mechanism to the butterfly mechanism. We get major HW and SW updates from Apple annually, bu that doesn't means that your device is "inherently flawed" or, as many like to complain, "obsolete" when a newer version comes out.
    This is the most logical way to look at it. And the reports sound like the mechanism to be used will be a new version of the scissor that is more stable and has less key wobble, which is one of the primary reasons Apple originally moved to the butterfly design. If true, Apple isn't "returning" to a prior design. Plus, it's virtually guaranteed that any introduction of a new scissor mechanism will have internet "influencers" and the tech media falling over each other to be the first to show a stuck key. And they will, since scissor keyboards have always had the same types of issues as the butterfly design. The idea that you can avoid stuck keys or keyboard failures by buying a scissor mechanism laptop has always been false. 
    SoliStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    elijahg said:
    Flawed is a poor choice of words.   There are all sorts of keyboard mechanisms available each with their good and bad points. 

In more general terms Apples laptops have not been meeting the expectations of many users like me.  That doesn’t make them flawed but rather poorly engineered.  Sadly the days Apple well bling and not the tools many of us need and want.  
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:

Is LCD flawed because they moved to OLED on their higher end iPhones?
    Had they move back to LCD from OLED because of a flaw that couldn’t be resolved then yes.
    That is asinine, who makes the decision on what is flawed and what is a normal failure mode?   Of all the things that drove me off the MBP series a year and a half ago, the keyboard was the least of my concerns.  I certainly couldn’t call it flawed but I can most certainly say I didn’t like it.  
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 40
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    I would be happy if they bring back the old keyboard. However, I don't dislike the Butterfly keyboard, they are accurate and feel clicky. However, what grinds my gears is that if they fail, they have once already but I have applecare, but if they do after my applecare is past, I am fucked! So I need to get the new ones before this goes to the trash!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 40
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    avon b7 said:
    In late 2016 I decided not to touch anything with a butterfly keyboard (among other things) and I am still using older generation MBPs and an Air.
    You are full of shit as usual.

You've waxed poetic about Huawei devices including laptops, phones, and even recently tablets, and foldable, not to mention all of Huawei's non consumer technology, and given that you have stated explicitly that you loathe iOS, you are in fact a poseur here at AI, not a potential buyer of any Apple products. 

edited October 2019 StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I finally decided to buy a new 13” MacBook Pro recently and I have been very concerned about the keyboard due to all of the negative media. However, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I like the keyboard a lot. I am a writer who has been a touch-typist for nearly 40 years and am very picky about my keyboards. I can’t make any claims as to the durability, given that I have only had the laptop a few weeks, but I am not too concerned as my daughter’s 2017 MacBook has a similar keyboard and she has had no problems despite heavy use at college for several years.
    revenant