Compared: Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro vs the 2019 15-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81

How does the GPU ray tracing compare to a NVIDIA Windows laptop for half the price?
    Who cares, you'd be stuck running a crappier OS.
    williamlondonjeffharrisbb-15watto_cobrapscooter63redgeminipalkrupprazorpit
  • Reply 22 of 81

k2kw said:
    Great product now that Apple is fixing the mistakes of Ive.   I think that this will be a big seller as pros upgrade from the Butterfly keyboard and the pre2016 models.  I think it is the best that Apple could do given what Intel is providing.   I’m looking forward to a future model with 10th gen 10nm chips and Lpddr.
    Unless you work within the design lab, you have no idea how much influence one man among the entire teams had on its design. Hint: Ive on announced his retirement from Apple recently, while this has surely been in development for over a year at least.
    edited November 2019 williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 81

I assume the memory is user-replaceable?
    I wouldn't make that assumption at all, considering that the current models aren't. 
    watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 24 of 81

While this seems to be largely similar to the 15-inch, the processors in the 16-inch are 9th-generation versions, which generally offer better performance.
    They're similar because they are. Both are 9th-generation Coffee Lake processors. The only difference is the memory bus speed.
    watto_cobraPickUrPoison
  • Reply 25 of 81
    If that's the case, it is absolutely a 16.0-inch diagonal display.
    Got a link to that statement? Because nowhere on their website does it state: 16.0 inch screen

• Reply 26 of 81

hoodslide said:
    Where does it say it's a 16" laptop? Websites are comparing the previous 15" vs the new 16". But the previous model was 15.4' Is the new model 16.0"? Can anyone confirm, did Phil say this?
    Yes, 16.0 inches. https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/ The old model was 15 inches in the same sense that a VIC-20 actually had a 22 character-wide display.
    That page doesn't say 16.0 inches. It says 16 inch. And the old model wasn't 15 inch. You're saying the new model is 1.0 inch larger, diagonally?
  • Reply 27 of 81
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member

hoodslide said:
    Where does it say it's a 16" laptop? Websites are comparing the previous 15" vs the new 16". But the previous model was 15.4' Is the new model 16.0"? Can anyone confirm, did Phil say this?
    Yes, 16.0 inches. https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/ The old model was 15 inches in the same sense that a VIC-20 actually had a 22 character-wide display.
    That page doesn't say 16.0 inches. It says 16 inch. And the old model wasn't 15 inch. You're saying the new model is 1.0 inch larger, diagonally?
    What I and others are saying is that because it's listed as 16 inches, it means it's 16.0 inches because they dropped off the trailing zeros because they're not needed, like when calling not calling the 13.3" MBP a 13.30" MBP.
    ronnwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 28 of 81
    I wish my 2015 macbook pro lasted 6 more months :(. Oh well at least I have the lighter laptop.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,530member
    You might try actually reading the article, which quotes the specs (kind of the point of the article) directly off Apple's spec sheet.
    ronnwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 30 of 81
    So here’s something interesting ....

the 1TB 15’ - i9 - 32gb - Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

is more expensive than the maxed (1TB) 16’
    Radeon pro 5500M 8GB 64gb

anyone know why that would be???

I also purchased a 15’ last Saturday and was not expecting the 16’ to be so affordable ....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Now compare it to a thin and light Windows gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 GPU. I double dog dare you!
    bobolicious
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Now compare it to a thin and light Windows gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 GPU. I double dog dare you!
    I'd love to. Can you find me a thin and light Windows gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 GPU with an 11 hour battery life using a 16" 226 PPI IPS display with 500 nits of brightness? Because those are specs that are important to me.
    edited November 2019 ronnchiabb-15watto_cobrapscooter63s.metcalfredgeminipatyler82
  • Reply 33 of 81
    The Touch ID button is discrete like the Esc key, not integrated in the Touch Bar as suggested in the Spec Comparison. 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Soli said:
    I'd love to. Can you find me a thin and light Windows gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 GPU with an 11 hour battery life using a 16" 226 PPI IPS display with 500 nits of brightness? Because those are specs that are important to me.
    This is just curiosity on my part, but is there a 1 for 1 comparison (or as close as you can get if not) Windows laptop with similar specs and how does it compare price wise? I’m not looking at just raw physical components, I’m curious about comparing Adobe Photoshop or similar graphic intensive programs for Windows to MacBook versions and the real performance you are likely to get with either. 

I can’t afford or justify by need either a Mac or Windows laptop anyway so it’s just curiosity on my part. 
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,922member
    And for out next Magic trick, here’s the new iMac… Which is totally missing. 
    Huh? iMac was last updated less than a year ago, in March. 
    He probably meant the iMac Pro...which should technically be at least refreshed. 
    watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 36 of 81

I assume the memory is user-replaceable?
    No...just like all MacBook models nothing is user replaceable inside. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Very little people actually do this in the end. 
    watto_cobraredgeminiparonn
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Why would anyone care...
    watto_cobrapscooter63redgeminiparonn
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Got a link to that statement? Because nowhere on their website does it state: 16.0 inch screen

Are you happy now? Straight off Apple's website. Its a fuckin 16" MacBook Pro. Stop being an asshat! 

edited November 2019 jeffharriswatto_cobraredgeminiparazorpitronn
  • Reply 39 of 81
    macxpress said:

Are you happy now? Straight off Apple's website. Its a fuckin 16" MacBook Pro. Stop being an asshat! 

Slow your roll. He’s not being an asshat. He’s inquiring about the size to the tenth of an inch, like other Macs are stated. As already noted, since Apple doesn’t list it as 16.0” it could be 15.5” to 16.4” if they rounded. Of course, begins 16.1” or larger you would expect Apple to tout that, but his point still stands. We are just assuming (albeit an extremely likely guess) it’s 16.0” since Apple has dropped the trailing zero for the display size.
    watto_cobrapscooter63s.metcalf
  • Reply 40 of 81
    DRBDRB Posts: 34member
    I live in Kuwait.  No such thing here unfortunately :(. we don't have apple stores, only authorised resellers.
    Your country does have a 14 day return policy, it's the law in that country.  https://www kuna net kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2473449&language=en

watto_cobras.metcalf