Russia to ban iPhones and all devices not pre-loaded with local apps

Posted:
in General Discussion
New legislation will require all smartphones, computers and even smart televisions to have Russian-made software included from July 2020. Supporters say it promotes local technology, but detractors believe that a fear of surveillance apps will make manufacturers pull out of Russia.

Apple's iPhones are expected to be subject to Russia's forthcoming ban
Apple's iPhones are expected to be subject to Russia's forthcoming ban

Russia's lower house of parliament has passed legislation that will make it mandatory for devices such as Apple's iPhone that feature apps to include pre-loaded Russian-made ones. It does not dictate that other apps, such as the manufacturer's own, cannot be installed. However, phones, computers and televisions without locally-made apps will be banned from sale from July 2020.

According to to BBC News, the details of which devices are involved or what Russian-made software will be required is still to be determined.

"When we buy complex electronic devices, they already have individual applications, mostly Western ones, pre-installed on them," co-author of Russia's legislation, Oleg Nikolayev said.

"Naturally, when a person sees them," he continued, "they might think that there are no domestic alternatives available. And if, alongside pre-installed applications, we will also offer the Russian ones to users, then they will have a right to choose."

However, Russia's own Association of Trading Companies and Manufacturers of Electrical Household and Computer Equipment decries the legislation. BBC News reports that the organization has said it will not be physically possible to install such software on every device. It believes that manufacturers may simply pull out of the Russian market instead.

Apps that are pre-loaded because of legislation would presumably not have to pass through a vetting process such as Apple's with App Store submissions. There would be no way for users to know whether or not these apps contained state-supported official spyware.

The new legislation comes after the country has introduced increasing control and limitations on the internet. So far, companies have complied with the various laws, including Apple, which agreed to store user data on Russian servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Could the pre-installed apps be deleted? That would seem to solve any issues people had about being spied upon.
    rinosaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I thought they did that for use when you went through customs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I’m thankful for the freedoms that we here. They really get taken for granted sometimes. 

This could be a Cyber Security nightmare. Wonder what Apple will do. Pull out or stay on? They have to obey the laws of the countries they operate in. Yikes!!
    kurai_kagerazorpitcornchipcaladanianwatto_cobraolsnewBeliever
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Soli said:
    That’s China, not Russia.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 41
    pujones1 said:
    I’m thankful for the freedoms that we here. They really get taken for granted sometimes. 

This could be a Cyber Security nightmare. Wonder what Apple will do. Pull out or stay on? They have to obey the laws of the countries they operate in. Yikes!!
    Don’t worry, they will obey just fine. That’s no biggie, just include some free apps from the App Store that can be deleted and that’s it.
    cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    "Naturally, when a person sees them," he continued, "they might think that there are no domestic alternatives available. And if, alongside pre-installed applications, we will also offer the Russian ones to users, then they will have a right to choose."

Er, except they won't have the right to choose not to have state-mandated software pre-installed on their devices. 

And that's pretending they won't use this as a Trojan horse, which is likely, IMO...this being the same country that banned "disrespecting the government" online:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/06/russian-parliament-outlaws-online-disrespect

Fuuuck Russia. Seriously. It's time the world begin shunning these authoritarian regimes like Russia and China, and stop normalizing their anti-human rights initiatives. Especially as they start invading their neighbors (Russia) and funding global propaganda projects (China).

edited November 2019 neo-techforegoneconclusionluisfrochawilliamhlostkiwimagman1979bonobobmac_doglenny491watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Any US leader that sucks up to Putin won't get my vote. 
    luisfrochalordjohnwhorfinStrangeDaysramanpfaffdewmedavenmagman1979bonoboblenny491netrox
  • Reply 8 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    Then you won’t be voting I guess.
    cornchipdavenprismaticsnewBelieverjbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 41
    "When we buy complex electronic devices, they already have individual applications, mostly Western ones, pre-installed on them," co-author of Russia's legislation, Oleg Nikolayev said."

Good thing the iPhone is not a complex device then.

"Naturally, when a person sees them," he continued, "they might think that there are no domestic alternatives available."

Naturally, Russians, unlike you sir, don't have a single-digit IQ. They will look for alternatives if they feel the need to do so.

What a diptwat.

lostkiwicaladanianbshank
  • Reply 10 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    This clown must really hope his citizens are that stupid. 
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 41
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    My bet is that all of the tech companies cave, including Apple, and do not pull out of Russia.   But it would be nice if Apple could implement some technology into the OS that when one deletes an app, it does a true cleanup and would delete any accompanying spyware, Trojan horses, etc.   I could live with that compromise because users could simply delete the apps they don't like and still feel secure. 

bonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    In Russia, TV watches you!
    StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 13 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sflocal said:
    This clown must really hope his citizens are that stupid. 
    I doubt it was his idea. My guess is this comes from the top: Putin. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 41
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Then you won’t be voting I guess.
    Other than the GOP, I don’t know any Putin suckups. Who are you referring to?
    dysamoriabshankmuthuk_vanalingamtmay
  • Reply 15 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Could the pre-installed apps be deleted? That would seem to solve any issues people had about being spied upon.
    Ha. Doubtful since it’s Russia. 

What if the Apps don’t pass the App Store test? Will companies be forced to add them anyway?
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 16 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    That’s China, not Russia.
    Seriously? You don’t think Russia would do such a thing? They meddle with elections at home and around the world, hack everyone they can, and poison people on foreign soil but you don’t think they’d put spyware on a device entering their country? are you one to those people that thinks Putin is a great person because a certain someone likes to suckle from his teet?
    edited November 2019 magman1979bonobobbshankmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Legal texts are usually vague or too abstract. Such a move makes sense only if it is related to system services, such as search engine, maps, weather, Find My... Something like:
    Google / Yandex
    Apple Maps / Yandex Maps
    Facebook / vKontakte...

Or Apple may choose to implement system services by means of local partners, like Chinese iCloud operated in China totally by a local operator. Apple does not license iOS but that doesn't mean it won't license utility services.

If it was related to AppStore apps Apple is fulfilling that requirement since it begun selling iPhones in Russia. "Russian made software? Sure, we offer Russian made software all at once in the App Store, they are all present in the iPhone, simply not loaded, users choose to load them." 

So, that doesn't make sense... There is a misunderstanding here...
    edited November 2019 dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    This can be managed. If this sets a precedent that spreads into other locales I suppose Apple could implement a locale-specific virtual machine inside iOS that hosts all of the mandated local apps. These local apps would run inside a managed and monitored sandbox that is isolated from the native OS and must communicate to the OS using standard, encrypted, far-model based communication schemes rather than local (near-model) calls. The performance and quality of service that these locale-specific apps receive would be less than built-in apps but probably still quite good because all of Apple's iOS platforms are quite robust so the additional overhead would be tolerable. the native OS's hypervisor would monitor the interaction behaviors of the locale-specific apps and if anything unusual occurs, kill the suspect virtual machine. This sounds rather restrictive, but it's actually a very common architectural pattern used in many systems that provide app, container, virtual machine, etc., hosting services and high-availability computing architectures.
    rcfaAnilu_777
  • Reply 19 of 41
    the article and commenters are leaping to some conclusions which just make them seem like cold war hold outs.

where does the legislation say that specific state sponsored applications must be used.

it just says apps written in russia. not one speci ifi
  • Reply 20 of 41
    There is too much left to-be-determined in the legislation to really know if it could cause Apple to do anything special. If the state-mandated apps were not subject to Apple’s review/approval process, then that would be a deal-breaker, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.