How to get an old macOS installer from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    MackyMac said:
    If you ever used createinstallmedia to build a thumb drive installer, you probably found this site:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
    Bookmark this page, it has download links for the 5 most recent macOS versions, as well as the syntax needed to build a bootable thumb drive using the Terminal app. 
    Best three-line post ever.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    ecarlseen said:
    MackyMac said:
    If you ever used createinstallmedia to build a thumb drive installer, you probably found this site:
    Bookmark this page, it has download links for the 5 most recent macOS versions, as well as the syntax needed to build a bootable thumb drive using the Terminal app. 
    Too kind!
    As a side note, I have a 32 GB thumb drive partitioned into 4 volumes, with installers for the next 4 older versions (Lion, Mtn Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite) and I just tested them out before rebuilding.  Glad I did, as they work fine. Apparently the certificate expiration issue did not affect these iterations.  They all loaded and began installation just fine.  Times like this I'm glad to have an older Mac kicking around.  It just so happened I have a 2009 MacBook with which to boot these installers on...

• Reply 23 of 45
    Just wondering if anyone else had the issue of downloading macOS High Sierra (10.13.x), when it gets thru to the App Store I get a message saying;

Update not found
       The requested version of macOS is not available.

anyone else seen this or how to get round it?
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Thank you very much for this article. If you are able to find older installers up to OS X 10.7 Lion, that would be a tremendous help. The support download page only offers updates, not the original installers.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Thank you very much for this article. If you are able to find older installers up to OS X 10.7 Lion, that would be a tremendous help. The support download page only offers updates, not the original installers.
    That's because Lion isn't free:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
  • Reply 26 of 45
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,145member
    Is it possible to downgrade a new Macbook Pro 16" to Mojave?
    No, and primarily because Mojave won't have drivers for the 5X00 series GPUs or other new components.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    If you previously downloaded older versions, they are still in your "purchased" history - just not available when running Mojave or Catalina.
    Try installing an older version on an external drive (a fast thumb drive, an SSD, whatever) and boot from that.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904
  • Reply 28 of 45
    jdiamond said:
    Guys, I don't think these links have changed at all.  When I download them fresh, MacOS still says something like "this install file is broken", which I assume is because it thinks the certificate has expired.  Guess I'll just have to do the date trick.

If you have tried to open/install from one of the expired installers since your last restart, you will continue to get that error on the new installer. Restart your Mac, then try the new installer, and you should not receive that error.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 493member
    Samhain said:
    Just wondering if anyone else had the issue of downloading macOS High Sierra (10.13.x), when it gets thru to the App Store I get a message saying;

Update not found

Ditto.  I got that same message when an article about this was posted back in October, as well.  I'm running Mojave, so maybe it works with other OS versions?  I have a stash of many old installers, but honestly, I'm not sure why anyone with a machine that isn't too ancient to do so wouldn't run one of El Capitan, Mojave, or Catalina.  Or I guess 10.6, if you need Rosetta's PPC emulation.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    gilby said:
    The Tiger downloads are for Updates only - e.g. 10.4.6 and 10.4.11.  You still need the Tiger install DVD.
    The actual Tiger install DVD is also 4.7GB, not 340MB.
    spheric
  • Reply 31 of 45
    ecarlseen said:
    MackyMac said:
    I was trying to make bootable installers from Sierra and found those downloads do not have the resources folder with the createinstallmedia file. So when trying the terminal command you will get an error that the createinstallmedia cannot be found. The installer is a package file, doesn't look like your normal installer that has those other files in it. You can't right click the package and show it's contents. It doesn't exist.
    I chatted with a senior OS X adviser on Apple's support site. So hopefully I got there attention and they will fix those installer files soon.
    ecarlseen
  • Reply 32 of 45
    horvatic said:
    ecarlseen said:
    MackyMac said:
    I was trying to make bootable installers from Sierra and found those downloads do not have the resources folder with the createinstallmedia file. So when trying the terminal command you will get an error that the createinstallmedia cannot be found. The installer is a package file, doesn't look like your normal installer that has those other files in it. You can't right click the package and show it's contents. It doesn't exist.
    I chatted with a senior OS X adviser on Apple's support site. So hopefully I got there attention and they will fix those installer files soon.
    I think the PKG installs the installer app, which is what contains createinstallmedia.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Maltz is correct.
    Usually the installers download directly to the Applications folder. Sierra does not. Find it in your downloads folder, open it, run the installer package, and it should result with the Sierra installer app appearing in your Applications folder. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Samhain said:

Update not found

Same here
  • Reply 35 of 45
    >Happily, my Snow Leopard install DVD has no such expiration issues. It’s also still the fastest and most bug-free version of Mac OS X.
    snow leopard rules! opera and pale moon still work, and a firefox sometimes.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    I was able to directly download Sierra. Instead, for Mojave, after I download it from the Apple Store I get a warning saying that that version cannot be installed and I can't find the diskimage in the download folder. Where has been the diskimage downloaded?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator
    I was able to directly download Sierra. Instead, for Mojave, after I download it from the Apple Store I get a warning saying that that version cannot be installed and I can't find the diskimage in the download folder. Where has been the diskimage downloaded?
    In the Applications folder.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    nevsonevso Posts: 1member
    Hearing from friends that there are issues with the installation of Drivers for the latest audio interfaces on Catalina. So they are reinstalling High Sierra which will accept the driver installation. Seems there are problems with Apple Security and Privacy in System prefs? I have that problem and can install audio drivers on H Sierra but not Catalina? 
    Hoping apple has a fix in next update as some studios are abandoning Apple Macs running Catalina for Windows 10. 
  • Reply 39 of 45
    bekksOKbekksOK Posts: 1member
    Can you use the Luna Display software to connect a new 2019 MacBook pro to an old imac (I think 2011) when the imac has a damaged harddrive?  I'd like to use the imac as a monitor as there is no HDD when I look on disk utility.  I've tried all the advice listed to reinstall OS on mac but it sounds like the seagate drive is just dead.  Would love to repurpose it and Luna Display sounds like it might work...anyone know?

I've tried to connect my new MacBook pro to imac w/thunderbolt but it doesn't display...just flashing folder with ? or will reboot to disk recovery window.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    tmpctmpc Posts: 1member
    For people who use a computer for mainstream activities (photos, email, etc.), updating to the latest OS usually isn't a problem.  But, there is another type of computer user that uses a computer as a tool.  I am one of those people.  I write and record music using computers.  But, like musicians who rely on a particular piano or guitar, I can't imagine not having access to certain sound producing or modifying software.  For people like me, updates are scary.  For that reason, I was very diligent about downloading installers and updates when they appeared.  I now find that Apple has stabbed me, and people like me, in the back.  I find it ironic that a company that was so influential and supportive of people using computers for artistic pursuits has done this.
    philboogie