Apple Maps, Weather app now shows Crimea as Russian territory

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    I can’t imagine employees inside Apple are happy about this, Tim Cook should be ashamed,
    1983propodspliff monkey
  • Reply 42 of 100
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    WTF Apple! I could see their point of view when it came to the Hong Kong app debacle, but this! No excuses here. 
    edited November 2019 spliff monkey
  • Reply 43 of 100
    The majority of people in Crimea are Russian. Has anybody of the posters above me acknowledged this? No, certainly not as it doesn't serve American interests.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    seanjseanj Posts: 319member
    Unfortunately many companies from the free democracy West are prepared to comply with the requests of authoritarian regimes or ignore human rights abuses in order to sell into their markets or to offshore their manufacturing there. Simply to make more profits.

China has imprisoned one million ethnic Muslims in concentration camps, yet who is pulling their sakes and manufacturing from the country?
    China illegally occupied Tibet, Russia the Crimea.
    And any western company that dares list Taiwan as a separate country risks being sanctioned by the Chinese government.
    svanstromrazorpitpropodurahara
  • Reply 45 of 100
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    svanstrom said:
    Never would have guessed that I’d go from long term Apple fanboy to phasing out Apple products due to them sucking up to China and Russia. Crazy times. 

spliff monkey said:
    Jesus Christ. I’ve owned Apple computers since they were beige. I’ve had enough. Legitimately done. 

This is disgusting. What a topper to Kowtowing to China and fucking over Hong Kong protesters. 

I think this is the proverbial straw for me.  
    Hope you aren’t planning to switching to Google — they did the same thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/27/apple-and-google-maps-accommodate-russias-annexation-of-crimea/

...because that’s the law in Russia, and they’re required to follow the law in the countries they do business in. Only other option is to pull out of Russia. Perhaps worth it, I don’t know. I’d love for them to give Putin the finger and exit Russia. But it’s silly to say Apple shouldn’t follow the law they’re currently compelled to follow if they wish to operate in Russia. 
    Thanks I was going to post if anyone knew if Google did the same thing. These are corporations who want to maximise profits only, they will do that by kowtowing and selling their goods and services.
    of course I’d swing it around and claim Apple should also abide by international tax laws too.. but the. That affects those profits so they have no problem ignoring those laws and electing to not recognise the legal bodies representing them, like the EU! 
    So personally on this matter I don’t care what Apple does here as it’s hypocrisy in the matter is palpable. They’ll agree to what governments want if it makes them money regardless if it’s right or wrong.
    prismaticsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 100
    the more interesting story here is that a country is recognising that tech companies are more powerful in defining reality than they are.

also, russia is not demanding countries throw out all their maps, globes and atlases - for fear of sanctions etc.

the nation state is giving way to incorporated global thought franchises. In this case the populations of Apple and Google.

Either have populations larger than China or India. (note: i am including the children attached to the registered accounts/device owners)
    That’s a bit of a stretch dude.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    hexclock said:
    The good news is that in a couple of hundred million years or so, the continents will merge into a new super continent, and we can one big, happy family again. 
    Humanity will be extinct and long gone by then. To the relief of the planet. Still, I got the humor.
    davgregurahara
  • Reply 48 of 100
    svanstrom said:
    Never would have guessed that I’d go from long term Apple fanboy to phasing out Apple products due to them sucking up to China and Russia. Crazy times. 

spliff monkey said:
    Jesus Christ. I’ve owned Apple computers since they were beige. I’ve had enough. Legitimately done. 

This is disgusting. What a topper to Kowtowing to China and fucking over Hong Kong protesters. 

I think this is the proverbial straw for me.  
    Hope you aren’t planning to switching to Google — they did the same thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/27/apple-and-google-maps-accommodate-russias-annexation-of-crimea/

...because that’s the law in Russia, and they’re required to follow the law in the countries they do business in. Only other option is to pull out of Russia. Perhaps worth it, I don’t know. I’d love for them to give Putin the finger and exit Russia. But it’s silly to say Apple shouldn’t follow the law they’re currently compelled to follow if they wish to operate in Russia. 
    It's a fuss of nonsense. This is standard behaviour for cartography. The local map is defined by the local government and this isn't the only border that will change as you move around the globe.

If you really want to make a difference, actually address the issue with people who can help return Crimea to the Ukraine, not a tech company that is beholden to the same laws that everyone else has to follow, a virtual border means squat if the country is still annexed.

If you live in the USA, contact your local politician to pressure the government on Russia, since there is a lot that is still not being done because of your puppet of a president.

If you live in a country not in Europe/EU, North America, Australia/New Zealand or Japan: Then ask your politicians why they have not applied sanctions on Russia, instead of being a keyboard warrior who complains in a forum, but can't manage as much as an email to their representative.
    smiffy31fastasleepurahara
  • Reply 49 of 100
    1983 said:
    the more interesting story here is that a country is recognising that tech companies are more powerful in defining reality than they are.

also, russia is not demanding countries throw out all their maps, globes and atlases - for fear of sanctions etc.

the nation state is giving way to incorporated global thought franchises. In this case the populations of Apple and Google.

Either have populations larger than China or India. (note: i am including the children attached to the registered accounts/device owners)
    what is?

The population of Apple? Apple alleges 1billion registered devices.. no kids attached to those people?!

Android claims more. Facebook claims 2 billion, much larger than any nation.

or that countries are realising companies have influence over more people than they do?
  • Reply 50 of 100
    So long as it does not show the U.S. as part of Russia territory I am ok with it.
    Wait a couple of years before Russia will claim Alaska back (it belonged to Russia, as you might know).
    razorpitspliff monkey
  • Reply 51 of 100
    1983 said:

what is?

The population of Apple? Apple alleges 1billion registered devices.. no kids attached to those people?!

Android claims more. Facebook claims 2 billion, much larger than any nation.

or that countries are realising companies have influence over more people than they do?
    In this case, the change is only visible to people inside Russia.
    urahara
  • Reply 52 of 100
    The majority of people in Crimea are Russian. Has anybody of the posters above me acknowledged this? No, certainly not as it doesn't serve American interests.
    I acknowledge that the biggest ethnic group in Crimea are Russians. I also acknowledge that Apple has to abide the laws of the country they are in. And I acknowledge that Russia annexed the Crimea by military invasion. 

Russia is an aggressor and Putin is a bully. Have you acknowledged these facts? No, certainly not as it doesn't serve your interests.

spliff monkey
  • Reply 53 of 100
    There are lots of examples of enclaves like that all over the world, and that just isn't enough for another country to get their military out and claim that area as their own; so there's nothing to "acknowledge" about that.

Like Sweden can't just DNA-test their way to a couple of counties in USA, no matter if the people there all speak Swedish (or even have Swedish citizenships); and China can't just sneak a couple of million people into Portugal and then claim half of it because there are so many Chinese there.
    muthuk_vanalingamuraharafastasleepspliff monkey
  • Reply 54 of 100
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    Apple is not very freedom focused sometimes, and bends to mere financial reasons, to the chagrin of Cook who pretends he always stands behind what is right and just.  
    Prove it. What is the financial reason in Russia? How big are the revenues based on their economy?

Cook has said the reason they stay in countries with laws we don’t agree with, like Russia, China, and Saudi Arabia, is that they feel people there still benefit more from having Apple devices than not having them. 

Women weren’t even allowed to drive in Saudi Arabi until this year, don’t see anybody losing sleep over it. But redrawing the map to show Russian occupation of a territory is a hard stop for you? Ok...
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Apple, Google, and other companies who produce maps, and all other tools that provide convenience services that are based on geopolitical data assigned by a Ruling Authority, have absolutely zero control or influence over the assignment of the attributes associated with the services they provide for convenience to users. If the ruling authority says a peninsula has the tag “Russia” assigned as part of its name then the provider of the convenience service is obliged to present that information as part of the full description if they wish their tool to be as accurate as possible for the benefit of their users.

As a user of a mapping tool I’d really want to know that when I approach a geopolitical border the information presented on the map accurately reflects what the ruling authority of the territory has stipulated. I can absolutely guarantee you that if Apple or Google labeled a disputed border with a label that reflected their personal assertion of who the ruling authority is, or the prevailing opinion in their home country, it wouldn’t matter one iota when I attempted to cross the border. Apple is neither an authority on border disputes nor an arbitrator of political disagreements. Does any rational person believe that they would be able to assert “Apple Maps Authority” to gain entry into a country that has a controlled border - because Apple Maps labeled the territorial border based on Apple’s political stance? Gimme a break. Nobody is that stupid, and especially not Apple.

Apple doesn’t even hold piss-ant status when it comes to arbitrating geopolitical issues. They just make a mapping tool as a convenience service for their users. The last thing Apple wants to do is put their users at risk by exposing them to scenarios within their tools that may be misconstrued by real authorities, as opposed to fake authorities like political posers, as being controversial. Quit looking to Apple to solve problems that are not within their purview to solve. Yes, Apple demonstrates amazingly effective leadership when it comes to delivering world class consumer products to market. But Apple’s leadership is domain specific. Even though we see a very pathetic lack of leadership in our political leaders at a time when we see great leadership by Apple, we have to refrain from expecting Apple to cross over into the underserved side of our dilemma because they are simply neither equipped nor empowered to do so. This, and other similar contemporary political shitstorms, are not Apple’s problems to solve. We all know where the problem is, and it ain’t centered in Cupertino.  

StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 55 of 100
    dewme said:
    Apple is not very freedom focused sometimes, and bends to mere financial reasons, to the chagrin of Cook who pretends he always stands behind what is right and just.  
    Prove it. What is the financial reason in Russia? How big are the revenues based on their economy?

Cook has said the reason they stay in countries with laws we don’t agree with, like Russia, China, and Saudi Arabia, is that they feel people there still benefit more from having Apple devices than not having them. 

Women weren’t even allowed to drive in Saudi Arabi until this year, don’t see anybody losing sleep over it. But redrawing the map to show Russian occupation of a territory is a hard stop for you? Ok...
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Apple, Google, and other companies who produce maps, and all other tools that provide convenience services that are based on geopolitical data assigned by a Ruling Authority, have absolutely zero control or influence over the assignment of the attributes associated with the services they provide for convenience to users. If the ruling authority says a peninsula has the tag “Russia” assigned as part of its name then the provider of the convenience service is obliged to present that information as part of the full description if they wish their tool to be as accurate as possible for the benefit of their users.

As a user of a mapping tool I’d really want to know that when I approach a geopolitical border the information presented on the map accurately reflects what the ruling authority of the territory has stipulated. I can absolutely guarantee you that if Apple or Google labeled a disputed border with a label that reflected their personal assertion of who the ruling authority is, or the prevailing opinion in their home country, it wouldn’t matter one iota when I attempted to cross the border. Apple is neither an authority on border disputes nor an arbitrator of political disagreements. Does any rational person believe that they would be able to assert “Apple Maps Authority” to gain entry into a country that has a controlled border - because Apple Maps labeled the territorial border based on Apple’s political stance? Gimme a break. Nobody is that stupid, and especially not Apple.

Apple doesn’t even hold piss-ant status when it comes to arbitrating geopolitical issues. They just make a mapping tool as a convenience service for their users. The last thing Apple wants to do is put their users at risk by exposing them to scenarios within their tools that may be misconstrued by real authorities, as opposed to fake authorities like political posers, as being controversial. Quit looking to Apple to solve problems that are not within their purview to solve. Yes, Apple demonstrates amazingly effective leadership when it comes to delivering world class consumer products to market. But Apple’s leadership is domain specific. Even though we see a very pathetic lack of leadership in our political leaders at a time when we see great leadership by Apple, we have to refrain from expecting Apple to cross over into the underserved side of our dilemma because they are simply neither equipped nor empowered to do so. This, and other similar contemporary political shitstorms, are not Apple’s problems to solve. We all know where the problem is, and it ain’t centered in Cupertino.  

Who was the Ruling Authority that decided in this case?  
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 56 of 100
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    dewme said:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Who was the Ruling Authority that decided in this case?  
    Russia
    Above_The_Godsspliff monkey
  • Reply 57 of 100
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

razorpit said:
    I really wish someone would stick it to Putin.
    Unfortunately the last president became “more flexible” with Putin and Russia after he was re-elected. 

Would have been nice if the press and congress would have bothered to follow up on that instead of tilting at windmills like they are now.
    If you’re honestly trying to suggest Obama was more Putin-friendly than Trump, and failing to understand why current congress standing up to the current president’s allegiance to Putin and Russia is a thing, then you have greater problems than we can solve on this forum. 

The problem in one photo:

I am, and he was.

LOL, two ignorant guys with t-shirts. Yep, that sure proved your case. That definitely beats Obama on a hot mic saying he’s going to be more flexible after the election. Gosh could you imagine what would have happened had that been Trump?  
  • Reply 58 of 100
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    svanstrom said:
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
    That makes it sound like the two options are equal in all things, and that there's nothing to do; but we're talking about Apple choosing profits by sucking up to regimes that have people killed just because their views are inconvenient, or because they are religious or not heterosexual.

China and Russia will just continue doing what they are doing if there are no negative consequences, and Apple will apparently just keep picking profits over people if there are no negative consequences to them. So our only option is to make things inconvenient until those in power, political or business, have to start valuing human rights. Just like what was done when companies like Apple kept ignoring how the workers at the factories were treated; people made it inconvenient, and bad for business, for them to keep ignoring that.
    I'm pretty sure that Russia doesn't kill homosexuals. US ally Saudi Arabia most definitely does. Human rights are great and all, but it is good to be consistent. 
  • Reply 59 of 100
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    If you are making a map it seems the obvious thing is to mark places according to who controls the territory.

It is more than obvious that Russia now controls the Crimea regardless of claims otherwise or the wishes of the toothless United Nations. The same is true regarding Tibet and the West Bank. The map should reflect the world as it is and not as someone wishes it could/should be.
    dewme
  • Reply 60 of 100
    That is the situation on the ground. Deal with it.
    dewme