Mac Pro, Pro Display XDR orders start December 10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    No NVidia support. This is DOA. Apple is stubborn beyond belief. $6000 base price includes an anemic GPU. Ridiculous. I wanted to love the new Mac Pro. They gimped it and then limited hardware compatibility. Tim Cook is bad for Apple. This latest release is not the only reason. I considered buying one. High price for pointless omissions and limitations. I’ll pass.
    It's not Apple's fault they don't use NVIDIA. When NVIDIA decides to start supporting Metal, then maybe you'll start seeing NVIDIA chips in Macs. Until then, its AMD graphics and the graphics you can get is no slouch.

This is priced no higher than any other high-end professional workstation. Where I work, we buy Dell Precision towers that cost well over $10,000 per tower depending on the config. $6,000 is nothing! This Mac Pro isn't necessarily meant for a freelancer, but rather people who need serious (and I mean serious) power. Do yeah, don't buy one because its not likely not meant for you anyways. 
    edited December 2019 StrangeDaysjdb8167bb-15uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Looking forward to watching real world reviews of this new computer and monitor.  Yes it may seem expensive, but when you think that it's possible to get 10 years out of a computer this powerful and this monitor will certainly not be obsolete any time soon - is it really that expensive over time ?   Instead of buying 2 or 3 high end desktops\laptops in 10 years - just buy this... 
    I think it all depends on what you're doing. I doubt any serious professional (company) is gonna buy one and expect it to last 10yrs. For most companies the standard length they keep a computer around (Mac or PC) is 3yrs before its considered EOL (End of Life). That doesn't mean its useless, its just a standard some companies go by. 

I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years. My current laptop is 6 years old and still good as new, running Mojave. And do you remember the XP years? Windows XP lasted 10 years, and people ran it on the same hardware that whole time. So the three-year timespan is questionable in my mind, and I think the Mac Pro has 10 years in it, easy. It's a real workhorse.
    I’ve worked American enterprise as a contractor for almost 20 years, none of the many companies I’ve worked for had us using machines older than a few years. My personal computer at home, yes (last iMac went 8 years), but never corporate machines. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 91
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    macxpress said:
    No NVidia support. This is DOA. Apple is stubborn beyond belief. $6000 base price includes an anemic GPU. Ridiculous. I wanted to love the new Mac Pro. They gimped it and then limited hardware compatibility. Tim Cook is bad for Apple. This latest release is not the only reason. I considered buying one. High price for pointless omissions and limitations. I’ll pass.
    It's not Apple's fault they don't use NVIDIA. When NVIDIA decides to start supporting Metal, then maybe you'll start seeing NVIDIA chips in Macs. Until then, its AMD graphics and the graphics you can get is no slouch.

To add to your comment, search quora for an article titled "Why exactly does Apple use AMD graphic cards instead of NVIDIA?" then scroll down to Quinn FitzGerald's comment. Expand it and see where Quinn talks about the Kepler licensing issues and that whole fiasco. Quinn also mentions --

Nvidia, when it came to Apple, did not have as many advantages as in the desktop arena. They had, and still have, worse OpenCL support than AMD. Their power efficiency almost completely vanishes in the power envelopes that Apple demanded. And even worse, AMD has shown to be more willing and able to work with other companies. A great example of this is the original 5K iMac which used custom work to enable the screen to run at 60hz.

I don't know who Quinn is but his comments sound reasonable.
    macxpresspscooter63bb-15rundhviduraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 91
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Looking forward to watching real world reviews of this new computer and monitor.  Yes it may seem expensive, but when you think that it's possible to get 10 years out of a computer this powerful and this monitor will certainly not be obsolete any time soon - is it really that expensive over time ?   Instead of buying 2 or 3 high end desktops\laptops in 10 years - just buy this... 
    I think it all depends on what you're doing. I doubt any serious professional (company) is gonna buy one and expect it to last 10yrs. For most companies the standard length they keep a computer around (Mac or PC) is 3yrs before its considered EOL (End of Life). That doesn't mean its useless, its just a standard some companies go by. 

I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years. My current laptop is 6 years old and still good as new, running Mojave. And do you remember the XP years? Windows XP lasted 10 years, and people ran it on the same hardware that whole time. So the three-year timespan is questionable in my mind, and I think the Mac Pro has 10 years in it, easy. It's a real workhorse.
    I’ve worked American enterprise as a contractor for almost 20 years, none of the many companies I’ve worked for had us using machines older than a few years. My personal computer at home, yes (last iMac went 8 years), but never corporate machines. 
    I worked for a large US government contractor and even though we transitioned to Apple products in the late 80's, the Windows people started forcing their way in, getting new PCs whenever they wanted then while I had to justify getting Macs. We kept out Macs for much longer than 3 years and supported them with only a handful of people while the PC users had an entire department supporting them. It all depends on where you work(ed) and who was in charge (people who know things or stupid bean counters).
    caladaniancgWerkspscooter63bb-15dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 91
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    steven n. said:
    Appleish said:
    I just want the XDR to go with my 16-inch MBP.

Or maybe I'll just stick with the LG 5K.
    Or a second monitor to my iMac Pro. Yummy.

I bought the 30” Cinema Display when it first came out. $3000 plus a $700 video card and that was around 15 years ago.

Given I can’t get this to work on my iMac Pro....

yummy. 
    It’s strange that Apple has not announced whether the TB3 Macs, the ones with a discrete GPU at least, support the Pro Display XDR. They all use the same Titan Ridge TB3 chips do not they not? They certainly have the GPU power to drive it is they support 2 5K displays.

I wouldn’t buy it though. Way way way out of my league. The MBP15 + LG UF 5K combo I have for work is great, except for the security and device management crap IT puts on it. DPI is identical which makes using both displays a little more pleasant.

When my home iMac (2013 model) dies, I’m switching to a Mac mini and 34” display. Too bad Apple doesn’t come out with a half Mac Pro and a more consumer oriented 32” display because I’d be willing to stretch to $4k for a home system that can last for 6 to 8 years.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 91
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Even iMac Pro start at $5000. Yeah it is include 27' 5K panel..
    But for that you loose upgrade ability unless remove 5K panel.
    Also RAM slot is 4 vs 12.
    iMac Pro, you can't upgrade video card but Mac Pro you can at any time.

I rather pay another $1000 for Mac Pro.

For 5 years, $1000 or $1200 per year. Around $84 vs $100 per month.
    I think most of freelancer can afford this as well. As long as they makes money.

Even Apple make Mac Pro mini as half height with 4 PCI-E slot, 6-8 RAM slot for $4000, I would buy it at heart beat.
    I think if Apple do this then iMac Pro will be end of life and introduce iMac 5K with space grey model for extra money.

People will not pay this then you can go for hacintosih.route. These days even AMD Ryzen build without much hiccup.
    And you can buy that Dosh(?) Mac Pro look alike PC case and entire system build for less money..
    Even you can build intel Nuc for less money then Mac mini these days.
    fastasleepmobirddysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 91
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Tim Cook is bad for Apple.

Yeah, it's terrible how they've almost gone out of business since he's been running the company, lolz.... ...collapsing stock price, shrinking product lineup, no services strategy....

/S

I certainly haven't agreed with all of his decisions, and while the Mac line is getting some long-delayed love, it could certainly get more - still, as a follow up to an unfollowable act (Steve Jobs), he's done a truly amazing job all in all, especially when you compare him to those who've followed other charismatic founders.

I.e., the whole "Tim Cook sucks" routine is getting provably a little old.
    edited December 2019 StrangeDaysthtfastasleeppscooter63bb-15macxpressrundhvidcy_starkmanmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:

I worked for a large US government contractor and even though we transitioned to Apple products in the late 80's, the Windows people started forcing their way in, getting new PCs whenever they wanted then while I had to justify getting Macs. We kept out Macs for much longer than 3 years and supported them with only a handful of people while the PC users had an entire department supporting them. It all depends on where you work(ed) and who was in charge (people who know things or stupid bean counters).
    Not really. Like I said, I’ve contracted for *enterprise* (including federal and municipal govt contractors, Fortune 100s, dot coms, national banking, etc) almost twenty years, and the “ten years” of business use Cool suggested is not a thing in enterprise. Few years, then new machines. It’s built into the overhead. 
    edited December 2019 cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Finally a new professional workstation. Looking forward to that. About the screen I have to say that is the dumbest thing in the universe. Only 32" at 6k? Way too small! With 6k I'd expect 55" or more. Otherwise you'll need a microscope to work!
    This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. You DO realize this is NOT a TV, right? And that viewing distance is MUCH different than a TV? I don't know a single professional that works with a 55" monitor. Which is why 55" screens are called TVs, not MONITORS. You really want to work with a 55"+ display inches away from your face?

Some of these posts here just absolutely blow my mind. So much ignorance mixed with so much confidence. 
    caladanianlkruppShapeshiftingFishGabypscooter63bb-15OkiRundysamoriawatto_cobradanh
  • Reply 30 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I have a feeling trolls like you don't have the need for even 1% of this machine, I very much doubt you do anything even remotely professional. No, you never "wanted to love" the Mac Pro, nor did you ever consider buying one.  This is a pretty tired line that predictable trolls like you use. How is it "gimped"? It will most likely wipe the floor with almost everything, all things considered. And what exactly did you plan to use this machine for? The people that ACTUALLY have a use for this machine don't balk at the price. 

And do you actually think that Tim Cook fucking personally chose the specs? You're THAT confident that under another CEO, even SJ, the specs would have been to your liking? You do recall that SJ enraged the spec-whores literally every single day, right?

Some of you have such a personal, raging hard-on against Cook that it's unbelievable. And you articulate that through dishonest statements continually dishonest statements and utter lack of context. In no rational world has Tim Cook been "bad" for Apple. The company has experienced mind-blowing and continued success through his leadership in pretty much every single respect, from their product line, to the technology, to services, features, software, to retail, to stock price, sales, etc. It is more successful and healthy today, in all aspects, than at any other time in it's history. The fact that a niche, unreleased product (Mac Pro) doesn't support some videocard you want does not negate all that. Well, maybe it can, to a 4 year old. 

edited December 2019 chabigGabypscooter63bb-15uraharawatto_cobradanh
  • Reply 31 of 91
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    slurpy said:
    Finally a new professional workstation. Looking forward to that. About the screen I have to say that is the dumbest thing in the universe. Only 32" at 6k? Way too small! With 6k I'd expect 55" or more. Otherwise you'll need a microscope to work!
    This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. You DO realize this is NOT a TV, right? And that viewing distance is MUCH different than a TV? I don't know a single professional that works with a 55" monitor. Which is why 55" screens are called TVs, not MONITORS. You really want to work with a 55"+ display inches away from your face?

Some of these posts here just absolutely blow my mind. So much ignorance mixed with so much confidence. 
    Yeah, I remember using a 30" Cinema display and it was so wide you had to physically turn your head side to side. I can't see anything larger than 32" as being useful. These aren't meant to be mounted on the wall.
    caladanianbb-15dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 91
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:

Ive been working corporate for 20 years as a contractor as well. What I see is a "policy" to refresh your computer every 3 years. However, the refreshed computer is just another persons old computer and your old computer goes to someone else. So you get a "new to you" computer every 2-3 years. 
    caladaniancanukstormcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 91
    M68000 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    You are correct it does depend on what you're doing, I'm talking more about the average Joe who works out of his house - not some huge production company with truckloads of money to throw around.
    The "average Joe" needs to learn how to build computers so that they don't have to buy an entire computer every time they need more processing power. Incremental upgrades where needed is the smartest approach here.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Wow, finally, the day that seemed it might never come. Even though this isn't in my budget, congrats to those who it is. Maybe someday.
    It will be interesting to see what all the various options cost, but I'd be pretty thrilled with the base model.

Appleish said:
    I just want the XDR to go with my 16-inch MBP.
    Or maybe I'll just stick with the LG 5K.
    Yeah, I don't quite get the fuss over the display, in terms of people agonizing over whether they will get one with their Mac Pro or not. To me, they are two completely separate products outside a certain segment. If you don't *need* that display, why in the heck would you spend that much extra money... just to have matching design? Seriously? On the other hand, for people who need that display, they'll get it whether they are getting a Mac Pro or not!

rob53 said:
    3 years might be standard for PCs but it never was for Macs, at least not where I worked.
    Yeah, the whole 3 years is a pretty new thing, for the most part. Consumers almost never bought new stuff that fast in the past. Businesses might keep buying new stuff and pushing older stuff down the line, but they didn't just retire or junk the stuff after 3 years (unless it was a cheap PC). The whole phone craze seems to be blurring peoples' view of the past.

rob53 said:
    ... and there comes a time when some things are just fast enough for the current software applications. 
    This is the big one, IMO. Years ago, people would make decisions over which OSs and software licenses to update, often keeping them for years. Now, the the companies push the need to update OSs (for some good reasons, too), which drives the need to update the software, which also impacts the hardware.

No NVidia support. This is DOA. Apple is stubborn beyond belief. $6000 base price includes an anemic GPU. Ridiculous.
    I think the place where Nvidia is important is a shrinking pie. Isn't it mostly Adobe junk with CUDA? For the rest of the world, I think AMD stuff is fine. Sure, I'd like Nvidia to be an option, too. But, I don't see the need for it to be anywhere near as great as it used to be. As for the base GPU in the Mac Pro... if you need more, you'll update it. But, someone buying a Mac Pro for a non-GPU-intensive purpose isn't going to want more than that. Also, the Radeon 580 isn't that anemic. It's more mid-tier.

rob53 said:
     It all depends on where you work(ed) and who was in charge (people who know things or stupid bean counters).
    No doubt. Unfortunately, too often the bean counters have too much influence, or the IT staff aren't much better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 91
    If you do the math, it’s about the same resolution as 27” 5k.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 91
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    This whole product line feels like a setup for Apple to close the chapter on a desktop for professionals; "we made the best computer and display possible and nobody bought - there is no market so we are exiting"
    dysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 91
    rain22 said:
    This whole product line feels like a setup for Apple to close the chapter on a desktop for professionals; "we made the best computer and display possible and nobody bought - there is no market so we are exiting"
    That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Going though the effort to design and manufacture a system just to prove that no one would buy it is a really expensive and potentially embarrassing way to prove a point. If they thought there was no value in the market they would have discontinued the product line much like the Xserve, Xserve Raid, eMac .... 
  • Reply 38 of 91
    I hope it sells like gangbusters and encourages Apple to sell more upgradeable Macs.
    mobirdththucom2000dysamoriawatto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 39 of 91
    I just bought an HP Z27 4K 27" monitor for my 2013 Mac Pro for $479. It's fabulous.  The new Apple display is not worth the difference
    davgreg
  • Reply 40 of 91
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years.
    I've gotten close to 10 years out of early model Mac Pros and PowerMacs, but Apple has established a policy of providing only 5 years of OS support. Gotta keep that in mind. The last few years of my use will likely only be for providing legacy customer support but still might not be worth it when virtualization on newer, more efficient hardware may provide a better alternative.
    edited December 2019