Mac Pro, Pro Display XDR orders start December 10

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Looking forward to watching real world reviews of this new computer and monitor.  Yes it may seem expensive, but when you think that it's possible to get 10 years out of a computer this powerful and this monitor will certainly not be obsolete any time soon - is it really that expensive over time ?   Instead of buying 2 or 3 high end desktops\laptops in 10 years - just buy this... 
    I think it all depends on what you're doing. I doubt any serious professional (company) is gonna buy one and expect it to last 10yrs. For most companies the standard length they keep a computer around (Mac or PC) is 3yrs before its considered EOL (End of Life). That doesn't mean its useless, its just a standard some companies go by. 
    I don't know how this varies by country, or even companies, but the company I work for charges the cost of computers used for development as R&D expenses, and somehow uses that amount to offset taxes over a three year period. So basically, if we get more time out of a system, it's money ahead for the company. It's an accounting thing I don't pretend to understand, but for us at least it's where that three years comes from.
    There are no accounting tricks going on, it's just a standard depreciation schedule and formula for capital expenses that are associated with business production. Pretty much any capital asset that depreciates in value over time, i.e., has a finite lifetime, has a published schedule/formula for reducing its intrinsic value over time. This accounting and economic practice has been in place for many decades and has always been a key part of the time-value-of-money calculations that go into economic-driven business decisions and the supporting rationale. Part of the economic formula for capital asset value includes estimating any residual, or salvage, value of the asset at the end of its depreciation schedule. I'm not sure how companies estimate the salvage value of computers. The notion of depreciation involves much more than just computers and includes capital assets like factories, buildings, and manufacturing machinery. 

Keep in mind that businesses are not obliged to replace assets that have gone beyond their depreciation schedules. Depreciation schedules are sometimes tweaked by governing bodies to spur economic investment and benefit the underlying suppliers, OEMs, and business sectors. Just because the depreciation schedule for a business computer has bottomed out for capital asset calculations (and related tax liability) does not mean that the computer is no longer delivering value to the business. Purchasing a new computer still requires up-front capital expenses and companies often choose to hold on to existing assets longer than their depreciation schedule and direct new capital investments in other areas of their business. In other words, the depreciation schedule for capital assets like computers is not a hard indicator of the length of time the assets, in this case computers, can deliver business value. It's actually linked into many other macro economic, social, and political factors that are quite far removed from what we experience at the computer keyboard.  
  • Reply 62 of 91
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    emig647 said:
    Super excited for this. My trashcan has done great through the years for software development, video editing / encoding and audio processing. I think it will become a rack computer as a git/web/3D model rendering server. I definitely got my money out of it and can't wait to get a new one.

I think  did the right thing with this new design, it selfishly fits my needs perfectly. I can see how others may see the cost as a bit much to swallow. I believe  could have done more to make it a little easier to obtain for the average prosumer. Perhaps a different motherboard with a single cpu desktop configuration, sans-ECC memory and some other downgrades.

For those of us that have been asking for a new Mac Pro on this scale, it's time to put our money where our mouth is to show this is what we wanted. Let  know there is a market and hopefully they will see it to produce smaller scale Mac Pros for prosumers.
    The new Mac Pro will be great for running MacOS but it looks to be a rather slow solution at debut.  I’m hoping Intel/Apple has a surprise in the box but the reality is AMD’s Thread Ripper CPUs are burying every thing Intel offers at the moment.    For some professionals this new Mac Pro is not a competitive solution.  
  • Reply 63 of 91
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Looking forward to watching real world reviews of this new computer and monitor.  Yes it may seem expensive, but when you think that it's possible to get 10 years out of a computer this powerful and this monitor will certainly not be obsolete any time soon - is it really that expensive over time ?   Instead of buying 2 or 3 high end desktops\laptops in 10 years - just buy this... 
    I think it all depends on what you're doing. I doubt any serious professional (company) is gonna buy one and expect it to last 10yrs. For most companies the standard length they keep a computer around (Mac or PC) is 3yrs before its considered EOL (End of Life). That doesn't mean its useless, its just a standard some companies go by. 

I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years. My current laptop is 6 years old and still good as new, running Mojave. And do you remember the XP years? Windows XP lasted 10 years, and people ran it on the same hardware that whole time. So the three-year timespan is questionable in my mind, and I think the Mac Pro has 10 years in it, easy. It's a real workhorse.
    I’ve worked American enterprise as a contractor for almost 20 years, none of the many companies I’ve worked for had us using machines older than a few years. My personal computer at home, yes (last iMac went 8 years), but never corporate machines. 
    I worked for a large US government contractor and even though we transitioned to Apple products in the late 80's, the Windows people started forcing their way in, getting new PCs whenever they wanted then while I had to justify getting Macs. We kept out Macs for much longer than 3 years and supported them with only a handful of people while the PC users had an entire department supporting them. It all depends on where you work(ed) and who was in charge (people who know things or stupid bean counters).
    Not really. Like I said, I’ve contracted for *enterprise* (including federal and municipal govt contractors, Fortune 100s, dot coms, national banking, etc) almost twenty years, and the “ten years” of business use Cool suggested is not a thing in enterprise. Few years, then new machines. It’s built into the overhead. 
    Baloney!    The place I’ve worked run PC’s into the ground.   Unless of course you are an executive which means a new PC when ever you want.  
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    sjworld said:
    M68000 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    You are correct it does depend on what you're doing, I'm talking more about the average Joe who works out of his house - not some huge production company with truckloads of money to throw around.
    The "average Joe" needs to learn how to build computers so that they don't have to buy an entire computer every time they need more processing power. Incremental upgrades where needed is the smartest approach here.
    I have built PCs for decades. It is NOT stress- or time-effective!!  Nor is the damned OS. I swore I would never do it again. It’s just effing voodoo. I’d rather have “less computer” for higher cost than “more computer” with infinitely more irritation.

PCs and Windows have been a nightmare for me. It never was acceptable, in hindsight, but I just took a long time to get fully disgusted and fed up. I used them all of my life, and I used to just go with the flow of “reinstall” as the only solution to every problem; NO MORE!!
    pscooter63cornchipwatto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 65 of 91

I hope it sells like gangbusters and encourages Apple to sell more upgradeable Macs.
    I hope so too, but I doubt it. Apple have chosen a tiny market to sell to (this pricing completely dumps hobbyists, and probably many small businesses). That means they will likely sell a rather small number of units overall. Self-inflicted injury, but they will probably announce “we gave you what you asked for and you didn’t buy it!!” 
  • Reply 66 of 91
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    macxpress said:
    No NVidia support. This is DOA. Apple is stubborn beyond belief. $6000 base price includes an anemic GPU. Ridiculous. I wanted to love the new Mac Pro. They gimped it and then limited hardware compatibility. Tim Cook is bad for Apple. This latest release is not the only reason. I considered buying one. High price for pointless omissions and limitations. I’ll pass.
    It's not Apple's fault they don't use NVIDIA. When NVIDIA decides to start supporting Metal, then maybe you'll start seeing NVIDIA chips in Macs. Until then, its AMD graphics and the graphics you can get is no slouch.

This is priced no higher than any other high-end professional workstation. Where I work, we buy Dell Precision towers that cost well over $10,000 per tower depending on the config. $6,000 is nothing! This Mac Pro isn't necessarily meant for a freelancer, but rather people who need serious (and I mean serious) power. Do yeah, don't buy one because its not likely not meant for you anyways. 
    I think the point of the post is "$6000 base price".  If you want a Mac with internal expansion, the only option you have is the Mac Pro at +$6000.  Compare that to the Dell Precision 5800 that starts at +$1200.00.  IMO, that's the problem with Apple.  You only have a single option with internal expansion, and it's too expensive for the workflow of many professional customers.
    The issue with your analogy is, you assume most professionals want to upgrade their Macs. Bad assumption! 

The point if his post was really just to troll and bitch about something that isn't Apple's fault. Had they done a little research they would have known that. 
    It has far LESS to do with upgradeability than it does THERMAL ISSUES. The desire to use PCIe devices is there, somewhat, but my PRIORITY is a machine with proper THERMAL tolerances. Obviously you don’t have such a need. I do. Others do. Don’t presume YOU are the norm. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 91
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    urahara said:
    danvm said:
    macxpress said:
    No NVidia support. This is DOA. Apple is stubborn beyond belief. $6000 base price includes an anemic GPU. Ridiculous. I wanted to love the new Mac Pro. They gimped it and then limited hardware compatibility. Tim Cook is bad for Apple. This latest release is not the only reason. I considered buying one. High price for pointless omissions and limitations. I’ll pass.
    It's not Apple's fault they don't use NVIDIA. When NVIDIA decides to start supporting Metal, then maybe you'll start seeing NVIDIA chips in Macs. Until then, its AMD graphics and the graphics you can get is no slouch.

This is priced no higher than any other high-end professional workstation. Where I work, we buy Dell Precision towers that cost well over $10,000 per tower depending on the config. $6,000 is nothing! This Mac Pro isn't necessarily meant for a freelancer, but rather people who need serious (and I mean serious) power. Do yeah, don't buy one because its not likely not meant for you anyways. 
    I think the point of the post is "$6000 base price".  If you want a Mac with internal expansion, the only option you have is the Mac Pro at +$6000.  Compare that to the Dell Precision 5800 that starts at +$1200.00.  IMO, that's the problem with Apple.  You only have a single option with internal expansion, and it's too expensive for the workflow of many professional customers.
    You are wrong.

You are just guessing what was the point of the comment (same as me though). The most impactful 2 sentences were in the beginning of the comment "No NVidia support. This is DOA." The user talks about NVidia and how Apple failed by not using it.

Stating that something is too expensive for someone is just a shortsighted view. Just because you can't justify its price doesn't mean it's a badly priced product.
    Maybe I miss understood the post, but it may refer that the only Apple device with internal expansion starts a $6000.  Like I posted before, many customers would benefit from an Apple device with internal expansion in the $2K - $5K.  The current Mac Pro maybe too expensive for professional users with lighter tasks and workflows.  I don't think it has to do with device itself.

On support for CUDA, I don't think its DOA for the Mac Pro.  But definitively it's something that benefit many professional users, and for some it's a requirement.  
    edited December 2019 watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 68 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    wizard69 said:
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:

I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years. My current laptop is 6 years old and still good as new, running Mojave. And do you remember the XP years? Windows XP lasted 10 years, and people ran it on the same hardware that whole time. So the three-year timespan is questionable in my mind, and I think the Mac Pro has 10 years in it, easy. It's a real workhorse.
    I’ve worked American enterprise as a contractor for almost 20 years, none of the many companies I’ve worked for had us using machines older than a few years. My personal computer at home, yes (last iMac went 8 years), but never corporate machines. 
    I worked for a large US government contractor and even though we transitioned to Apple products in the late 80's, the Windows people started forcing their way in, getting new PCs whenever they wanted then while I had to justify getting Macs. We kept out Macs for much longer than 3 years and supported them with only a handful of people while the PC users had an entire department supporting them. It all depends on where you work(ed) and who was in charge (people who know things or stupid bean counters).
    Not really. Like I said, I’ve contracted for *enterprise* (including federal and municipal govt contractors, Fortune 100s, dot coms, national banking, etc) almost twenty years, and the “ten years” of business use Cool suggested is not a thing in enterprise. Few years, then new machines. It’s built into the overhead. 
    Baloney!    The place I’ve worked run PC’s into the ground.   Unless of course you are an executive which means a new PC when ever you want.  
    Not baloney at all. Maybe you're working at mom & pop's, but in enterprise that certainly is not the case. MarketWatch, Target, Petco, multiple divisions of Capital One and Shell, city gov't, federal gov't, take your pick. Not an executive, just a IT worker. Machines are routinely replaced after a few years, and no enterprise I have ever heard of has workers on 10-year-old machines as was claimed.
    edited December 2019 tht
  • Reply 69 of 91
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    wizard69 said:
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:

Not baloney at all. Maybe you're working at mom & pop's, but in enterprise that certainly is not the case. MarketWatch, Target, Petco, multiple divisions of Capital One and Shell, city gov't, federal gov't, take your pick. Not an executive, just a IT worker. Machines are routinely replaced after a few years, and no enterprise I have ever heard of has workers on 10-year-old machines as was claimed.
    I can add my experience to yours. In the 27+ years I’ve worked, the typical length of time for office automation computer replacement cycles has been 3 years. It’s a lease, not a buy to own. It costs from $50 to $150 per month depending on model. If the cost structure is such, the shorter the replacement cycle, the better. They contractor probably refurbishes them and sends them out to other contracts, sells them, whatever, after we are done with them.

Company owned computers can be in service much longer, and typically are dedicated machines for one purpose. Or if someone wanted a better monitor, that would be in service much longer. The company owned Apple TB2 27” monitor I had since 2012 is still being used by someone else. Heh, our Apple TV pucks, bought them as display dongles essentially, are about 6 years old now and are still being used.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 70 of 91
    sjworld said:
    M68000 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    You are correct it does depend on what you're doing, I'm talking more about the average Joe who works out of his house - not some huge production company with truckloads of money to throw around.
    The "average Joe" needs to learn how to build computers so that they don't have to buy an entire computer every time they need more processing power. Incremental upgrades where needed is the smartest approach here.
    Upgrade ability and an excessive focus on it is a double edged sword.   Eventually old tech has to be left behind to hit new performance goals.    Currently AMD is a good example here.  Their mainstream socket is being phased out and Thread Rippers are on a different platform and chipset.     The fact remains significant advancements mean leaving past standards behind and with it goes your upgrade ability.  

That doesn’t mean I support Apples approach where few of their machines have proper expansion.   I’m really hoping this new Mac Pro is the start of something new at Apple.   They still don’t have a midrange desktop and that hurts them a lot.   
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 71 of 91
    rain22 said:
    This whole product line feels like a setup for Apple to close the chapter on a desktop for professionals; "we made the best computer and display possible and nobody bought - there is no market so we are exiting"
    Yep!    There certainly is not enough high end business there for this machine.   Frankly many pros have little choice these days but to look at AMD as the hardware they have for pros is really amazing.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 72 of 91
    danvm said:
    macxpress said:

Not to mention that professional usage covers a broad territory beyond media production where Apple will never have a play.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 73 of 91
    I'm somewhat surprised why Apple didn't take the AMD Threadripper devices. 

Key factors:
    PCIe 4.0
    64+ PCIe Lanes each supporting Infinity Fabric Link to AMD GPUs (effectively reducing latency and allowing for perfect workload scalability using PCIe4.0 SerDes)
    (soon) up to 64 cores and 8 memory channels
    extremely cheap price for a workstation class CPU (32 core for 2k$)

Hell they could even go full house with two EPYC 7742 64-core processors (for a total of 128 cores that have combined 256 PCIe 4.0 lanes (or an equivalent of 530% bandwidth compared to the intel part) that cost retail even combined less than what Intel asks for its 28-core part while consuming about a third of energy per unit of performance when compared against the Intel device in question. Imagine performing tasks with such a setup, the render is just a click away, almost real-time!

The Intel platform looks kindof End-of-Life by now. It's specs look years old. The socket does not support PCIe4.0 speeds, it doesn't supply enough memory channels for acceptable bandwidth scalability going above 32 core. I'm sure they considered Threadripper, there must be very special contracts that prevent Apple from using the better product. I really hope Apple doesn't design themselves inside a corner with this.

Mac Pro as a platform currently kinda looks obsolete for seriously professional computing looking forward considering the Threadripper parts are proven to be a big time saver by the time it ships. It doesn't seem to be a viable investment so I'll be waiting for their next Mac Pro and meanwhile continue using the Threadripper workstation I have built last year that is still faster.
    This is the big issue.    Professionals in touch with what’s available from AMD will not be buying Intel based machines if they want to be competitive.    AMDs shipping hardware is massively impressive.  
  • Reply 74 of 91
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    wizard69 said:
    danvm said:
    macxpress said:

Not to mention that professional usage covers a broad territory beyond media production where Apple will never have a play.  
    Agree, only because there is no option from Apple below $6K.  Other vendors have many options in the $2K - $5K range, and I think Apple will benefit from being in that market.  For example, with HP you don't need to buy the top of the line Z8 if you need a dual-socket workstation.  A Z6 works just fine.  And there is a list of different options for single-socket workstations, that you can configure based on how much expansion you need.  IMO, Apple should do the same with the Mac Pro line.  
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 91
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    (not that anyone cares), but "Prosumers" like myself do. I'm about to upgrade my '09 Mac Pro to get another couple years out of it till I can afford the NNMP. And by the looks of it, this one will be even easier to upgrade & more future-proof than the old-school "cheese grater". May even wait for the update and get a used/refurbed. Can't wait. Awesome machine.

edited for clarification.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 76 of 91
    SEJUSEJU Posts: 46member
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    3 years might be standard for PCs but it never was for Macs, at least not where I worked. I'd say the new Mac Pro could easily last for 5-7 years because of the modularity of the system. The motherboard would need to be replaced to upgrade to faster bus speeds but Thunderbolt 4 and PCIe5 are still in the approval stage and there comes a time when some things are just fast enough for the current software applications. 
    I am not sure, but to my knowledge PCIe 4 has been in adoption for some time and PCIe 5 is to be considered final or almost final. How often has Apple gone with draft standards? WiFi N anyone remembers? No way they will offer motherboard replacement when they finally willl adopt 4 or 5. You will have to buy a new one...

When I bought my MP 5.1 in 2010 PCIe 3 was standard, but Apple used PCIe 2 .... great!

To me the PCIe standard is probably the most important piece in this equation
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 91
    SEJUSEJU Posts: 46member
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    3 years might be standard for PCs but it never was for Macs, at least not where I worked. I'd say the new Mac Pro could easily last for 5-7 years because of the modularity of the system. The motherboard would need to be replaced to upgrade to faster bus speeds but Thunderbolt 4 and PCIe5 are still in the approval stage and there comes a time when some things are just fast enough for the current software applications. 
    To my knowledge PCIe 4 has been in adoption for some time and PCIe is final. Apple has gone with draft standards many times before, To use a 10 year old standard for the backbone of the system is for me no acceptable. When I bought my MP 5.1 in 2010 PCIe 3 was in use, but I got PCIe2. Wont make the same mistake again.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Another thing to think contemplate for this generation of Mac Pro is that we may be approaching a transition to ARM based Macs. There is no way to know for sure but there is strong speculation that Apple is going to move at least some of its Macs to its own ARM CPUs.

If Apple made the prosumer Mac Pro that many here seem to want in the the $2k-$5k range and then next year announces the ARM transition. What happens next? The howls of anger would be overwhelming. This is less likely to happen with very high-end professional machines that are generally going to be depreciated on a regular schedule.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Now if they had only been clear *WHAT TIME* will these go on sale.  I've awake on and off since midnight checking in to see when I can place an order.  I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    macxpress said:
    Yeah, I remember using a 30" Cinema display and it was so wide you had to physically turn your head side to side. I can't see anything larger than 32" as being useful. These aren't meant to be mounted on the wall.
    I have a 32” LG 4K Display sitting on my desk- driven by a Mac mini - and it is just about the perfect size.