Mac Pro, Pro Display XDR orders start December 10

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

ArcaSwiss said:
    I just bought an HP Z27 4K 27" monitor for my 2013 Mac Pro for $479. It's fabulous.  The new Apple display is not worth the difference
    I am sure the Apple display at that price point makes sense for somebody- just not me.

I can justify the expense of the Mac Pro,  but you can get a nice 4K monitor at a reasonable price these days. Bought a new 32” LG 4K monitor on Black Friday pricing from B&H and it will work just fine.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I can’t wait for the new iMac Pro - the Mac Pro is way too expensive for me. 

And if they do, I hope they finally take the step to redesign it. I still find it idiotic to glue a high quality screen to a CPU/GPU. 
    At the office we have over 8 old iMac collecting dust. All 8 have perfectly working monitors and no one is able to use them.
    If the iMacs could be easily (as in no glue or proprietary screws) be expanded, repaired and upgraded it would be a good option.

Right to repair is a reasonable thing that Apple fights tooth and nail.

Some of us want/need to be UTD, but do not want to buy a complete unit every 2-3 years. I do music, photography, video and all the usual stuff on my Macs and prefer internal storage instead of a hydra with cables, wall warts and boxes all over the place. I also want a very quiet unit- the iMacs are not as quiet under load as my Mac Pro tower. I want to be able to buy memory and plug it in without having to take my computer apart.

When my 2010 Mac Pro power supply went out, I ordered another and dropped it in. No drama. Was able to plug the HDs into a ProBox and access them on another Mac until the power supply came. If that was some sealed up iMac how long would you have to wait and how much more would it have cost?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 83 of 91
    "Order Dec 10th"

Did they mention the year? 'Cause I sure as hell don't see any "Buy" button...and it's almost 6pm at my end...

• Reply 84 of 91
    dysamoria said:
    Wow, seriously? Released for order on my birthday?? It’s like Apple is TRYING to mock me.

I've been saving every bit of money I could save for about TEN YEARS and was planning to buy a Mac Pro, if ever Apple finally made a proper desktop workstation again (with an Apple-made display)...

...and they went and produced a machine with a starting price that is TWICE what the last model was. By the time I’ve saved enough for this machine (by itself, not with a display), I’ll be 50 years old and Apple will have a machine that starts at $12,000 and a single display option that starts at $8000!
    Nobody cares. It’s not all about you. 
  • Reply 85 of 91
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    rain22 said:
    This whole product line feels like a setup for Apple to close the chapter on a desktop for professionals; "we made the best computer and display possible and nobody bought - there is no market so we are exiting"
    What would possibly make you think nobody is going to buy?

ArcaSwiss said:
    I just bought an HP Z27 4K 27" monitor for my 2013 Mac Pro for $479. It's fabulous.  The new Apple display is not worth the difference
    The new Mac Pro display isn't worth it for *anyone* unless you need that kind of display performance.... or just have a ton of money to burn to buy a matching accessory. I don't understand why people don't get that it is a very specialized display for certain use-cases. It isn't simply the display Apple intends to be paired with every Mac Pro sold.

disneylandman said:
    The average joe working out of his house is not going to spend $12K for the base model Mac Pro and display.  They likely switched to a PC after the trash can failure of 2013, or they bought an iMac Pro.  Apple made another 'designer' computer that is priced out of reality.  
    Sure they are. It is simple math. MKBHD ran some tests last night doing some video compression.... MBP 20m8s, iMac Pro 11m56s, Mac Pro 4m20s.
    If what you do benefits from that kind of time savings, and you make good money doing it, that $12k is irrelevant, whether you work from home or the office.

dysamoria said:
    Wow, seriously? Released for order on my birthday?? It’s like Apple is TRYING to mock me.

I've been saving every bit of money I could save for about TEN YEARS and was planning to buy a Mac Pro, if ever Apple finally made a proper desktop workstation again (with an Apple-made display)...

...and they went and produced a machine with a starting price that is TWICE what the last model was. By the time I’ve saved enough for this machine (by itself, not with a display), I’ll be 50 years old and Apple will have a machine that starts at $12,000 and a single display option that starts at $8000!
    I hear you... we're just not making enough money yet. I'd like one too but can't yet justify it. Maybe some day. But, I'll tell you what, I'm pretty happy with my 2018 Mac mini and Blackmagic eGPU. It is kind of the tiny mini Mac tower of power. It's sort of like a 0.5 model in-between the 2013 MP and this new one. (Also, you don't need that display, unless you do.)

dysamoria said:
    I have built PCs for decades. It is NOT stress- or time-effective!!  Nor is the damned OS. I swore I would never do it again. It’s just effing voodoo. I’d rather have “less computer” for higher cost than “more computer” with infinitely more irritation. 

PCs and Windows have been a nightmare for me. It never was acceptable, in hindsight, but I just took a long time to get fully disgusted and fed up. I used them all of my life, and I used to just go with the flow of “reinstall” as the only solution to every problem; NO MORE!!
    Yep. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I even worked for a company for years that built workstations and servers for companies. It just isn't worth it. I'm sure some shops still try it, but most smart companies have moved on back in the early 90s.

wizard69 said:
    Yep!    There certainly is not enough high end business there for this machine.   Frankly many pros have little choice these days but to look at AMD as the hardware they have for pros is really amazing.  
    There is plenty of the high end work that would support buying such a machine. But, I suppose the question is what percentage of that market is still Mac. But, also realize that while higher end CAD/3D or such has moved (if it ever was Mac to begin with), a lot of video/photo work and stuff like that has become mostly Mac at the high end. My gosh, just the YouTubers with enough $ to buy one can't be too small a market anymore.

People who spend $50k on a camera are wondering how many they are going to buy, not if buying one will cost $5k too much.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    cpsro said:
    I could be living in a totally different world, but I've seen companies (and myself!) hold onto the same computers for 10 years.
    I've gotten close to 10 years out of early model Mac Pros and PowerMacs, but Apple has established a policy of providing only 5 years of OS support. Gotta keep that in mind. The last few years of my use will likely only be for providing legacy customer support but still might not be worth it when virtualization on newer, more efficient hardware may provide a better alternative.
    Virtualization doesn’t offer support of third-party hardware, does it? Just because you can RUN Snow Leopard in a virtual machine doesn’t mean it can still run older audio interfaces and whatnot that need OS-level drivers.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    dysamoria said:
    Virtualization doesn’t offer support of third-party hardware, does it? Just because you can RUN Snow Leopard in a virtual machine doesn’t mean it can still run older audio interfaces and whatnot that need OS-level drivers.
    Hmm, yeah. That seems problematic, especially for stuff like the kind of special hardware. I wonder how deep that runs, though. Would something like a software-dongle thing work because it probably has USB support? I never thought about this too much (or tried it).
  • Reply 88 of 91
    dysamoria said:

Ad hominem AND straw man; how lazy. Pay attention. I’m not the only person in this position; not by far. I’ve seen countless other people comment that there’s no mid-tier solution for prosumers that need machines like this (not disposable and anorexic iMacs, minis, and MacBooks), but cannot in any way justify effing $6000 for a home studio!
  • Reply 89 of 91
    cgWerks said:

dysamoria said:

I hear you... we're just not making enough money yet. I'd like one too but can't yet justify it. Maybe some day. But, I'll tell you what, I'm pretty happy with my 2018 Mac mini and Blackmagic eGPU.
    I recently learned that eGPUs aren’t supported in Bootcamp Windows mode. Even if I could do 3D again on a Mac mini (or whatever) with an eGPU attached between it and the display, I’d still need a new PC for gaming.

That’s one of the reasons I wanted a proper Apple workstation: something to do double-duty as a Mac and a moderate gaming PC. Why spend another $2000+ to get a gaming system and another display for it? That’s why I’m still holding on to a 2008 PC that’s rapidly spiraling downward in reliability (not that it ever was reliable, but it’s getting worse and I’ve played all I can play with it and its NVidia 8800 GTX GPU).

One box to rule them all, you know? I don’t need a hard-core gaming rig. I just need an acceptable one. That requires Windows. I hate it but I’ll accept it as necessary for hosting games. But I don’t want the nightmare voodoo of supporting PC builds. It’s supposed to be entertainment and recreation, not MORE WORK.

I swore “never again” with PC builds, but it looks like Apple wants me to buy an anorexic Mac (which cannot handle hot & heavy workflows), and a THIRD-PARTY display (to avoid having a display glued to a machine), and another NON-Apple computer for entertainment.  What kind of psychology is going on at Apple where they can’t see the market from which they’re not even attempting to get money??

Middle child, middle employee, middle citizen slipped to poverty, middle consumer... I should be used to this existential marginalization by now...
  • Reply 90 of 91
    dysamoria said:
    I recently learned that eGPUs aren’t supported in Bootcamp Windows mode. Even if I could do 3D again on a Mac mini (or whatever) with an eGPU attached between it and the display, I’d still need a new PC for gaming.
    Yeah, it kind of depends on what we mean by supported. Bootcamp is a mess, but I've got a 2018 mini with eGPU running Bootcamp. It just took some mucking about and reading forums. I'm a bit scared that Microsoft will try and force me to the latest, which might break that. We'll see. But, I hear you in terms of a single machine that can do it all. Apple should have something like that that doesn't cost $6k+. (But, you'd probably have the same issue with Bootcamp even if you had a new Mac Pro... it's more a Bootcamp/Apple problem.)
  • Reply 91 of 91
    dysamoria said:
    dysamoria said:

Ad hominem AND straw man; how lazy. Pay attention. I’m not the only person in this position; not by far. I’ve seen countless other people comment that there’s no mid-tier solution for prosumers that need machines like this (not disposable and anorexic iMacs, minis, and MacBooks), but cannot in any way justify effing $6000 for a home studio!
    I have been paying attention, and you keep beating this very dead horse. You could’ve been well served with an iMac Pro which you can get at a significant discount at this point, and have plenty of horsepower for your hobbyist needs. Instead, you continue to bray about thermals and stuff that literally have not been a problem for actual professionals who use those machines to get work done. Maybe you can even mod It with liquid cooling using tears from all your crying over this.