Inside -- and outside -- the 2019 Mac Pro in pictures

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2019
Apple's newest Mac Pro is here. AppleInsider shows you Apple's 2019 Mac Pro to see how well-designed the machine truly is.

Apple's 2019 Mac Pro and accessories
Apple's 2019 Mac Pro and accessories

Deboxing and outside the Mac Pro

Apple's new Mac Pro arrives in a massive box, copiously covered in warning stickers due to the overall weight. Even at this scale, Apple's unboxing experience is wonderful. Velcro straps hold together the paper packaging which lifts free, revealing the tower inside.

The largest Apple logo we've seen on a product is stamped on either side of the aluminum housing, sitting between the two polished stainless steel handles that make up the frame.

The front 3D mesh pattern of the Mac Pro looks great and allows maximum airflow.
The front 3D mesh pattern of the Mac Pro looks great and allows maximum airflow.

Much has already been said about the unique lattice grille on the front of the machine. Behind the 3D mesh is a matte black grille, to prevent objects or large debris from getting into the interior.

Mac Pro power and upper case

The top most IO ports of the Mac Pro
The input and output ports on the top of the Mac Pro

On top of the body is a circular power button used to turn the machine on. It resides next to a pair of Thunderbolt 3 ports for charging or connecting anything from your iPhone to the black peripherals Apple includes in the box.

The expansive openings on the back of the enclosure are for PCIe expansion that will help future-proof your Mac Pro. On the bottom, is the user-replaceable power supply, and a pair of 10-gig Ethernet ports. The factory-installed video card sits above it -- in this case, it is the Radeon Pro 580X with two HDMI ports.

On top of the back is Apple's default IO board, which has dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, a headphone jack, and two USB-A ports.

If you look at the top of the Mac Pro again, you may notice the plastic patterns that are under the handles. This is where Apple was able to hide Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennae to work around the metal case that would block the signal.

How to open the Mac Pro

A handle flips upwards from the top and is rotated 90-degrees to open the case and access the Mac Pro internals. As the handle is rotated, the casing will move upwards just a bit before allowing you to pull it the remainder of the way off.

Right on the top of the machine, we find a series of pogo pins. These connect to the power button on the case. When that connection is broken, the power to the Mac Pro is cut off. That means you can't use the Mac Pro with the case removed.

Pogo pins connect to the power button on the case
Pogo pins connect to the power button on the case

Inside the Mac Pro

On the right side of the case, it is mostly bare. The only visible clue as to its inner secrets is a set of lock buttons.

The two RAM bays sandwiched between the speaker module
The two RAM bays sandwiched between the speaker module

When pressed, these eject the covers that protect the multitude of RAM slots.

Pulling these buttons releases the RAM covers
Pulling these buttons releases the RAM covers

There are twelve RAM slots in total, split into two bays of six, each with their own housing. In our base configuration, four slots are used for 32GB of RAM.

Apple can charge up to $25,000 for 1.5TB of RAM, though you can save significant money by doing the replacement yourself with aftermarket vendors.

RAM is easy to swap on the Mac Pro
RAM is easy to swap on the Mac Pro

Considering it took us only about 30 seconds to gain access to the RAM slots, we're sure this will be something many users will opt to do.

Mac Pro's speaker output
Mac Pro's speaker output

Between each of those RAM bays is the speaker module. You can see it sandwiched between in the above shots, and you can see the forward-facing output fro the front.

The Mac Pro SSD
The Mac Pro SSD

On the right side, if we remove the blower fan housing, we see the Mac Pro flash storage modules. Modules installed here are tied to the T2 chip and not user-replaceable -- but there are still many other ways to add storage to the Mac Pro.

Mac Pro's processor heat sink
Mac Pro's processor heat sink

On the top left, we see the Mac Pro logo emblazoned on a massive heat sink that hides the processor.

An interior USB-A port on the Mac Pro
An interior USB-A port on the Mac Pro

Slightly below that and to the right, is an interior USB-A port. This is a standard USB-3.0 type-A port, intended primarily for authentication dongles. The case can then be locked shut with a Belkin lock, securing hardware authentication keys inside the computer.

The PCIe and MPX slots of the Mac Pro
The PCIe and MPX slots of the Mac Pro

The 2019 Mac Pro can utilize two MPX modules with up to four GPUs. In total, there are eight PCI-E slots. Of those, four are occupied when using two MPX modules, and one is a half-sized slot used by Apple's default IO board.

How to install a PCI-E card or MPX module in a Mac Pro

Apple individually numbered the steps to remove the MPX module or the PCIe cards. First, the cards are unlocked via a switch near the top adjacent to the internal USB-A and SATA ports. Then the two guards are removed on either side via a Philips screwdriver.

Finally, the lever is pulled on the MPX module to free it from the Mac Pro. Not only can the MPX module be removed, but the IO board and power supply can also be removed similarly from the same side.

In our time with the Mac Pro, we're very pleased with Apple's attention to detail. Everything is very modular and easy to repair, swap, or upgrade. We were able to remove the fans, speaker, and power supply with nothing but standard tools.

Everything on the inside is precisely laid out, and well-labeled for easy access, no manual required.

Apple's 2019 Mac Pro
Apple's 2019 Mac Pro

Stay tuned to AppleInsider for additional Mac Pro coverage in the coming days.

Additional imagery

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    But... does it have the startup sound?
    cornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Wait, the base model doesn’t have thunderbolt connections on the GPU? There’s no GPU output via thunderbolt? I thought everything was supposed to be through thunderbolt now.

What’s the socket next to the SATA ports? Is that where the optional power connector goes for third-party GPUs?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I know I’m not the power user that this machine is designed for, but dang, it’s beautiful!  My 15” MBP is new and working fine, but this machine  has me specking out iMacPros...
    Logical? No. Still, I wonder if this could create a “desktop halo” effect (or if it’s just me...)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    dysamoria said:
    Wait, the base model doesn’t have thunderbolt connections on the GPU? There’s no GPU output via thunderbolt? I thought everything was supposed to be through thunderbolt now.

What’s the socket next to the SATA ports? Is that where the optional power connector goes for third-party GPUs?
    A good question would be if the video could be output through the TB3 ports on the IO card and the TB3 ports at the top of the case. Video output should be multiplexed through the those Titan Ridge TB3 controllers, so the answer should be yes. It’ll be answered soon enough.

The socket next to the SATA ports look like a power connector for the SATA drives, namely for the after market 2-drive Pegasus 3.5” HDD cage.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    tyler82 said:
    Nice!   LOL...  but I truly miss the startup chime on modern Macs.  The chime represented something unique and gave the Macs character.  Instantly everyone around knows you have a Mac and the chime exudes style.   If I was in charge at Apple this would be brought back unless there is some technical reason against it.
    randominternetpersonStrangeDaysprairiewalkerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I’d very much like to know the manufacturer of the FPGA chip inside the Afterburner card?

Major FPGA vendors, like Altera (Intel) and Xilinx, don’t support a Mac version of their VHDL tools. So either Apple has developed their own, with a less known supplier, or developed it without a Mac.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tht said:
    dysamoria said:

A good question would be if the video could be output through the TB3 ports on the IO card and the TB3 ports at the top of the case. Video output should be multiplexed through the those Titan Ridge TB3 controllers, so the answer should be yes. It’ll be answered soon enough.

The socket next to the SATA ports look like a power connector for the SATA drives, namely for the after market 2-drive Pegasus 3.5” HDD cage.
    There is no TB3 connector on the GPU. Everything still is through Thunderbolt 3. 

Your answer about the upper ports for video is here, in short, yes, the upper TB3 ports can be used for displays. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210319

And yes, the header to the right of the SATA ports is power. The power connectors for third-party video are to the left of the PCI-E slots, nearest to the fans.
    edited December 2019 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    It's pure artwork.

How's the sound quality from the built-in speakers?

radarthekatcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    It's pure artwork.

Okay. Not fantastic.
    cornchipradarthekatcoolfactordoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Absolute masterpiece of electronics engineering. Can’t wait to get my hands on one! Some sweet day!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    M68000 said:
    tyler82 said:
    Nice!   LOL...  but I truly miss the startup chime on modern Macs.  The chime represented something unique and gave the Macs character.  Instantly everyone around knows you have a Mac and the chime exudes style.   If I was in charge at Apple this would be brought back unless there is some technical reason against it.
    I do miss the sound, but based on my current usage pattern most months I would never hear it.  Except for systems updates, I simply never have a need to reboot my MBP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tyler82 said:
    I do miss this on my iMac. Tried the console
    hack but still nothin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Can the power interrupt be easily defeated, if one wants to check things out while the system is running?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    tht said:
    dysamoria said:
    Wait, the base model doesn’t have thunderbolt connections on the GPU? There’s no GPU output via thunderbolt? I thought everything was s upposed to be through thunderbolt now.

There is no TB3 connector on the GPU. Everything still is through Thunderbolt 3. 

Your answer about the upper ports for video is here, in short, yes, the upper TB3 ports can be used for displays. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210319

And yes, the header to the right of the SATA ports is power. The power connectors for third-party video are to the left of the PCI-E slots, nearest to the fans.
    What about the TB3 ports on the IO card, accessible in the back?

I have it in my head that if the GPU is a MPX module, that means the video is being multiplexed to the Titan Ridge controllers that Apple is using. So, both the top ports and the back ports. 

Too bad they didn’t make a couple of front ports on the desktop box, like they did the rack mount. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tht said:
    tht said:
    dysamoria said:
    Wait, the base model doesn’t have thunderbolt connections on the GPU? There’s no GPU output via thunderbolt? I thought everything was s upposed to be through thunderbolt now.

What about the TB3 ports on the IO card, accessible in the back?

I have it in my head that if the GPU is a MPX module, that means the video is being multiplexed to the Titan Ridge controllers that Apple is using. So, both the top ports and the back ports. 

Too bad they didn’t make a couple of front ports on the desktop box, like they did the rack mount. 
    Those too!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    It's pure artwork.

Okay. Not fantastic.
    They're there to make some noise but I'm still curious how small this thing is.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Part of the cost of this unit is the ease in which it can be enhanced/expanded. If the intention is to buy the entry model and then not to enhance it, then it's certainly not Apple's best bang-for-buck performance wise. E.g. Despite being 2 years old the 2017 8 core iMac Pro is a cheaper all-in-one that inches out the 8 core MacPro in geekbench performance scores, at the expense of being locked into the spec, with no very limited options to expand.

If you're needing performance but not the ability to expand, then I recommend waiting for an updated iMac Pro.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    So, am I only seeing one cable? Nice.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    And now.... to start playing the lottery.
    watto_cobra