Final 'big four' Australian bank folds, announces Apple Pay rollout by mid-2020

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 41
    lolliver said:

During the standoff, ANZ broke rank and became the first Australian bank to support Apple Pay. After the ACCC denial, Commonwealth Bank of Australia activated support in January of 2019, while the National Australia Bank followed suit in May.
    This is how I ended up swapping to ANZ. Would be interesting to know how many customers Westpac have lost due to their holdout. Can't imagine any of them will be returning. 
    iqatedo said:

Good! If consumers want something other than Apple Pay, they can buy a different device. Simple.

It's at the point in Australia where you're pretty safe to go shopping, eating and clubbing without taking a physical credit card. You can make almost all (if not absolutely all) payments from an Apple watch. Public transport is the hold-out. I guess that competition doesn't exist in the sector, hence the lack of imperative to modernize.

I haven't had to use a bank card anywhere for a couple of years now. Public Transport/Drivers Licence is the last remaining hurdle for most. But I just keep those cards with my phone. 
    No, I won’t be returning to Westpac after I switched to ANZ. I would have lost nearly four years of Apple Pay on my watch and phone otherwise.