Intel 'Tiger Lake' mobile processors will use new Xe GPU architecture

Posted:
in General Discussion
Intel's next generation of mobile processors, codenamed "Tiger Lake," will help improve machine learning and artificial intelligence on mobile workstations, with high performance gains and a new Xe graphics architecture touted for the chip line.

Chips under the Tiger Lake codename will be made using Intel's already-established 10nm+ process, but will include a variety of extra optimizations to improve performance. The changes included in the mobile-oriented processor is claimed by Intel EVP Gregory Bryant to include "groundbreaking advances in every vector and experience that matters."

As a "first-look" of the processor, the CES 2020 presentation offered a general overview for the chips, which will have optimizations for the CPU, AI accelerators, and the GPU to achieve "double-digit performance gains."

The GPU will be based on Intel's new Xe graphics architecture, an integrated graphics system that will offer "discrete-level" performance, at least double that of earlier versions. This potentially saves vendors like Apple from having to add a separate discrete GPU in their products, as is the case with the 16-inch MacBook Pro line, and some earlier models.

While Tiger Lake's GPU will be integrated into the chip, Intel is also working on making the Xe architecture work for discrete graphics as well. A preview of one such effort, codenamed "DG1," was made onstage at the event, albeit without Intel saying when the project will result in discrete chip production.

Given the likelihood the discrete GPU will be quite similar to the integrated version, one option is for Intel to use both the integrated and discrete GPUs together for enhanced graphical performance. This would, in theory, be similar to how some workstations and gaming PCs use multiple graphics cards in concert, with the workload shared among the collective GPUs.

Intel has been working on its first discrete GPUs for some time, as its integrated versions have not really lived up to the needs of users and device producers, typically forcing the addition of a discrete GPU. The disparity has already forced Intel into working in other directions, such as partnering with long-time rival AMD to combine an Intel CPU with an AMD GPU on the same board.

During the presentation, Intel confirmed it will be the first processor range from the company to include support for Thunderbolt 4.

Intel did not provide processor details as part of the Tiger Lake effort, but it does intend to ship the first chips under the codename later in 2020.

Intel's announcements also covered Project Athena's first verified Chromebooks and an expanded partnership with Google, and new form factor designs including dual-screen and foldable mobile computers. This includes a foldable OLED concept codenamed "Horseshoe Bend," which uses a Tiger Lake processor in a notebook similar in size to one with a 12-inch display, but the folding touchscreen can be unfurled to more than 17 inches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Not sure about Intel anymore. AMD is making the breakthroughs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    More importantly, Tiger Lake will support Thunderbolt 4, at, from what Intel is saying, 4 times the speed of usb, assumed to be the latest 20Gb/s, giving TB 4 a speed of 80Gb/s.

while the early Tiger Lake CPUs will be for thin laptops, later in the year, we can expect that to move to their other lines, hopefully the Xeon, allowing a new PCIe 4 Mac Pro to add TB 4.

this us why I decided to wait.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    For decades, Intel was king of laptop/desktop/server processors. Now AMD. Here is one example where AMD will win 2020 laptop market. Ryzen 7 4800U features eight Zen 2 cores, 16 threads, up to 4.2GHz boost, 1.8GHz base, eight Radeon cores and 15W TDP. Graphics will be 28% better than Intel's Core i7, 90% better on multi-thread performance and 4% higher on single-thread performance. If no Apple made CPU/GPU than should Apple move to AMD for it's 2020 13(or14" ) MBP and MBA ?
    Intel trying to assure customers that they still have many irons in fire to fight back AMD. Time will tell !!!

• Reply 4 of 29
    wood1208 said:
    For decades, Intel was king of laptop/desktop/server processors. Now AMD. Here is one example where AMD will win 2020 laptop market. Ryzen 7 4800U features eight Zen 2 cores, 16 threads, up to 4.2GHz boost, 1.8GHz base, eight Radeon cores and 15W TDP. Graphics will be 28% better than Intel's Core i7, 90% better on multi-thread performance and 4% higher on single-thread performance. If no Apple made CPU/GPU than should Apple move to AMD for it's 2020 13(or14" ) MBP and MBA ?
    Intel trying to assure customers that they still have many irons in fire to fight back AMD. Time will tell !!!

I don’t expect AMD to “win” anything, and by win, I assume you mean taking a large percentage of marketshare, possibly more than 50%. This has been the dream of AMD enthusiasts for a couple of decades, at least. But realistically, more than 8 cores has little benefit for most anyone. It’s not as thought Intel is standing still. Now with 10nm on line, equivelant to about everyone else’s 7nm, we’ll see them equalizing the competitive landscape. It could take a year or so to do it, but they will. Intel was counted out before, but the soothsayers were proven wrong. I predict they will be again.
    edited January 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 29
    melgross said:
    I don’t expect AMD to “win” anything, and by win, I assume you mean taking a large percentage of marketshare, possibly more than 50%. This has been the dream of AMD enthusiasts for a couple of decades, at least. But realistically, more than 8 cores has little benefit for most anyone. It’s not as thought Intel is standing still. Now with 10nm on line, equivelant to about everyone else’s 7nm, we’ll see them equalizing the competitive landscape. It could take a year or so to do it, but they will. Intel was counted out before, but the soothsayers were proven wrong. I predict they will be again.

I think AMD consistently gaining market share in server, HEDT, and consumer desktop space is definitely "winning" for them, but it doesn't mean intel has to "lose".  My excitement for AMD is based around their consistent IPC improvement with Ryzen.  They currently are matching intel in single core performance in many applications at lower clock speeds.  I can't help but be reminded of intel in the Pentium 4 days.  They just kept pushing clock speed without improving the IPC of their chips.  I feel like their entire "lake" series of chips is just slight clock speed bumps without much improvement in chip design.  I also don't see anything on their published roadmap that really changes this.  The 10nm transition will allow them to improve power efficiency and boosts clock some more, but it may be time for a redesign like the P4 days where they switched to the Pentium M architecture. 

AMD bet big on the chiplet design with the infinity fabric, and they have been consistently delivering.  Even if Apple never adopts AMD chips, they benefit from the massive price drops Intel has been forced to make to stay competitive in the desktop space.  If AMD can deliver similar results in the mobile space, it will force intel's hand on the mobile pricing.  Seeing vendors at CES debuting new laptop models with AMD chips is not something that I remember ever happening, and has to have at least put a little fear in team blue.

**Anyone who didn't read about the intel price cuts, they were around 50% on the high end skylake chips, because the cascade lake chips were launching with the same core counts at much lower prices.

MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    melgross said:
    More importantly, Tiger Lake will support Thunderbolt 4, at, from what Intel is saying, 4 times the speed of usb, assumed to be the latest 20Gb/s, giving TB 4 a speed of 80Gb/s.

while the early Tiger Lake CPUs will be for thin laptops, later in the year, we can expect that to move to their other lines, hopefully the Xeon, allowing a new PCIe 4 Mac Pro to add TB 4.

It isn’t even certain Apple will stay with Intel in the Mac Pro.   AMD has moved so far forward for advanced desktop chips that the current Mac Pro looks like a toy. 
  • Reply 7 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:

I’m just hoping Apple can make a 10nm based MBP with 64GB LpDDR4 Ram in 2020.   Hopefully Untel has that chip finally.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    melgross said:

I think AMD consistently gaining market share in server, HEDT, and consumer desktop space is definitely "winning" for them, but it doesn't mean intel has to "lose".  My excitement for AMD is based around their consistent IPC improvement with Ryzen.  They currently are matching intel in single core performance in many applications at lower clock speeds.  I can't help but be reminded of intel in the Pentium 4 days.  They just kept pushing clock speed without improving the IPC of their chips.  I feel like their entire "lake" series of chips is just slight clock speed bumps without much improvement in chip design.  I also don't see anything on their published roadmap that really changes this.  The 10nm transition will allow them to improve power efficiency and boosts clock some more, but it may be time for a redesign like the P4 days where they switched to the Pentium M architecture. 

AMD bet big on the chiplet design with the infinity fabric, and they have been consistently delivering.  Even if Apple never adopts AMD chips, they benefit from the massive price drops Intel has been forced to make to stay competitive in the desktop space.  If AMD can deliver similar results in the mobile space, it will force intel's hand on the mobile pricing.  Seeing vendors at CES debuting new laptop models with AMD chips is not something that I remember ever happening, and has to have at least put a little fear in team blue.

**Anyone who didn't read about the intel price cuts, they were around 50% on the high end skylake chips, because the cascade lake chips were launching with the same core counts at much lower prices.

AMD doubled sales in one year, that is pretty much a win for them.  They have taken significant share from Intel, that is a win.  

In any event gent championing AMR here is not being a fan boy.   Rather it is recognition of a measurably better product.  
  • Reply 9 of 29
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I've been really underwhelmed with Intel the past few years.  AMD is on fire at the moment and from a growth standpoint, they really surpassed anything that Intel has done during those years.  

Intel at the moment seems to be the deer in the headlights with AMD fast approaching.  

It's time to bring PCI4, Thunderbolt 4, and start actual innovation.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    This is what I need in a 13" MBP or Mac-Mini. Guess I'll be waiting till the end of the year to replace my 2013 MBP 15".

It's pretty sad when a 2013 15" MBP with an ancient dedicated GPU is barely beat out by a 2019 13" MBP.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    melgross said:

They themselves stated that their big hope in HPC didn't work out. In fact, they lost share there.

remembering Intel in the Pentium Netburst days, is good, but remember what happened right after. That’s more important.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29

wizard69 said:
    melgross said:

It isn’t even certain Apple will stay with Intel in the Mac Pro.   AMD has moved so far forward for advanced desktop chips that the current Mac Pro looks like a toy. 
    I doubt they will move to AMD. Yes, a few people who hope they’ll move to them keep saying that it’s possible, there’s a total lack of evidence that they will.

remember that Apple has knowledge of what Intel’s doing that isn’t public yet. Also remember how we felt when Hobs announced that Apple was going to go to Intel. But Apple was right. They knew what was coming, even though no one else did. Not impressed with and, even now. Much of what they have is illusion. It won’t hold up.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    melgross said:

I own over 1000 Intel stocks over last 15 years but now I am worried. Intel's past performance is no future guarantee. Intel was a leader in CPU because it's DNA had :"paranoid survives". Intel lost it's way in last few years. Apple didn't loose Steve Job's DNA and that is why Apple stock is at $300 and over $1T company.
    I always said, in Steve Job's Apple, we Trust. Today, for AMD, in Dr. Lisa Su we Trust. Hope, Intel gets back to it's root and I will say again. in Intel's paranoid survives DNA, we Trust.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    So how many cores inside this Tiger Lake?

Four?  I'd rather hope for AMD.
    Eight? Is it -U?  No?  ...

I'd rather hope to switch ARM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    DuhSesame said:

In the higher end, 8.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    melgross said:
    DuhSesame said:

In the higher end, 8.
    That will give them a hard time to compete.  AMD is treating -U and -H almost the same, if cooling is alright (not any worse than Ice Lake), Intel is going to have a hard time.

I think they already have, consider AMD have doubling the cores in almost every categories.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:

They don’t need to “win”, as long they’re no worse than the past:
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    DuhSesame said:
    melgross said:
    DuhSesame said:

In the higher end, 8.
    That will give them a hard time to compete.  AMD is treating -U and -H almost the same, if cooling is alright (not any worse than Ice Lake), Intel is going to have a hard time.

I think they already have, consider AMD have doubling the cores in almost every categories.
    Feh. Almost nobody needs more than 8 cores, and the large majority of those don’t need more than four. Everybody seems to think that they’re special, and so the more cores the better, but that’s nonsense.
  • Reply 19 of 29

DuhSesame said:
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

I can pretty much guarantee than in two to three years, AMD will be back where they’ve always been. The same thing was said about AMD in the latter years of the Netburst era, when Intel was relying on their superior process technology, and AMD found that they had to go wider instead with their inferior tech. And was running much sliver (like IBM) so they weren’t hit as much by the 90nm problems if the day. But just when Intel was being counted out by the AMD fans, they changed what they were doing and crushed AMD.

I’m not saying the exact same scenario will occur, but anything AMD can do, Intel can do. They’ve learned from their 10nm problems of trying to do everything at once, and that’s behind them. If 7nm comes on schedule around when we expect it, they will be even, or slightly ahead in process. That’s when we’ll really see where things will be.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    melgross said:
    DuhSesame said:
    melgross said:
    DuhSesame said:

In the higher end, 8.

Feh. Almost nobody needs more than 8 cores, and the large majority of those don’t need more than four. Everybody seems to think that they’re special, and so the more cores the better, but that’s nonsense.
    For what I do now, I can still live with two, but everyone knows what to choose when they have the option of eight, that's their game.  Intel still adding two more in the latest.

melgross said:

DuhSesame said:
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:

I can pretty much guarantee than in two to three years, AMD will be back where they’ve always been. The same thing was said about AMD in the latter years of the Netburst era, when Intel was relying on their superior process technology, and AMD found that they had to go wider instead with their inferior tech. And was running much sliver (like IBM) so they weren’t hit as much by the 90nm problems if the day. But just when Intel was being counted out by the AMD fans, they changed what they were doing and crushed AMD.

I’m not saying the exact same scenario will occur, but anything AMD can do, Intel can do. They’ve learned from their 10nm problems of trying to do everything at once, and that’s behind them. If 7nm comes on schedule around when we expect it, they will be even, or slightly ahead in process. That’s when we’ll really see where things will be.
    Yeah we'll see, so far it looks they did worse than Netburst.  They've been struggled with heat, performance increase, and now, the competition.  When they got their 7nm ready, TSMC will be moving towards 5nm.  I know, not that smaller always means better, but the huge advantage once exists were gone.

And thanks to them, the 15" Pro keep souring on RAM.