Oprah backs out of sexual assault documentary bound for Apple TV+, film will not air on Ap...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2020
Oprah Winfrey on Friday said she is no longer attached to a high-profile documentary that explores sexual misconduct in the music industry, adding that the film will not debut on Apple TV+ as planned.

Tim Cook and Oprah
Apple CEO Tim Cook and Oprah Winfrey debut Apple TV+.

Winfrey in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter said she is stepping away from the as-yet-untitled documentary citing creative differences with filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. The film, which was set to debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January, follows a former music executive who accused industry titan Russell Simmons of rape.

"I have decided that I will no longer be executive producer on The Untitled Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering documentary and it will not air on Apple TV+," Winfrey said. "First and foremost, I want it to be known that I unequivocally believe and support the women. Their stories deserve to be told and heard. In my opinion, there is more work to be done on the film to illuminate the full scope of what the victims endured, and it has become clear that the filmmakers and I are not aligned in that creative vision."

She goes on to suggest that Dick and Ziering are rushing the film's completion to make a premiere at Sundance.

"Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering are talented filmmakers. I have great respect for their mission but given the filmmakers' desire to premiere the film at the Sundance Film Festival before I believe it is complete, I feel it's best to step aside," Winfrey said. "I will be working with Time's Up to support the victims and those impacted by abuse and sexual harassment."

Dick was previously nominated for an Academy Award for "Twist of Faith," which sought to expose sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. The filmmaker has worked with producer Ziering on multiple films surrounding sexual assault and rape, including the Oscar-nominated "The Invisible War" (2012) and Emmy-nominated "The Hunting Ground" (2015).

Apple secured rights to the Simmons documentary in December as part of a wider deal with Winfrey.

The tech giant failed to provide a detailed overview of the upcoming film, but a description published by Sundance goes deeper and confirms Simmons accuser Drew Dixon is indeed the documentary's subject. As noted by The Hollywood Reporter, Simmons was accused of raping Dixon, who served as an executive under the Def Jam Recordings co-founder, in 1995.

Winfrey is still on tap to provide content for Apple TV+ with a pair of documentaries, one covering workplace harassment and another on mental health, and the revival of her famous book club.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    So far Apple + is not really excelling in the content arena.

they have a long way to go.  And they are currently going the wrong way.

rogifan_newivanhlkruppchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    At first glance it looks like a Major fail by the directors. Better to skip Sundance and keep Oprah & Apple onboard. 
    ronnjony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    She’s not the right person to be preaching about sexual misconduct considering her affiliations with Harvey Weinstein and Jon of God. A hypocrite at best. 
    dbvaporentropysrazorpitanton zuykovmichelb76chemengin1gordy
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Apple’s deal is with Winfrey, not Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering.  

When Winfrey pulled out, Apple no longer had a part in the project.  Some are acting like this is Apple’s doing, it’s not.
    cornchipDAalsethhcrefugeeronnjony0beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 30
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Spineless Oprah not on Apple TV - boo hoo, Go back to pitching Weight Watchers commercials to prop up your stock.
    dbvapor
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Fatman said:
    Spineless Oprah not on Apple TV - boo hoo, Go back to pitching Weight Watchers commercials to prop up your stock.
    She’s still contracted with Apple to provide content for Apple + the project mentioned is just no longer in the plans.

I’m indifferent to Oprah but she does attract subscribers... and seems like a smart business woman.
    ronn
  • Reply 7 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    So far Apple + is not really excelling in the content arena.

they have a long way to go.  And they are currently going the wrong way.

I have to disagree with this summary, even in what is obviously early days (and with many more shows in the pipeline). While not every show appeals to me, all the ones I've sampled are beautifully shot, acted, and directed IMO. The Morning Show is not to my taste, but I'm enjoying Dickinson rather a lot. See is a little slow, but it's gorgeous and its doing enough to keep me interested. For All Mankind is quite good, and Helpsters and Ghostwriter hit their marks for their target market very well indeed. Even though I'm not a kid, I'm loving Snoopy in Space. The Elephant Queen was brilliant, and I'm eagerly awaiting Amazing Stories and Foundation, and looking forward to Mythic Quest.

There's a fair amount of stuff I haven't checked out as well. Do I get $5/month worth of entertainment out of it? Easily, even if I wasn't on the free year. Is it the most exciting and amazing subscription service in the world? No, and that's absolutely not what it's going for.

Think more like PBS meets HBO. A reputation for quality and diversity with high-budget content that just keeps coming. I think they're off to a good start (way better that their first stabs at TV shows, that's for sure). The high quality and diversity appeal to me, but I guess some people have too short an attention span to "enjoy the journey" of watching a new service grow.
    fastasleepolsn2itivguyhcrefugeesacto joeronnpscooter63jony0
  • Reply 8 of 30
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I'm continually super disappointed by Apple's conduct these days. From Genius Bar scams, to forum censorship, to now this bait n switch technique. Two prime examples of this include: iTunes. iTunes used to be a "digital jukebox" which has now morphed into a bloated horrible punishing confusing app, that primarily now spams &  sells you Apple's music service.  AppleTv. Apple Tv used to be a great way to experience movies, tv shows, in a way that was annoying/horrible on other platforms. Can you say logins/id's please? Or go to  whatever site / activate and Verify to view. Apple TV came up with an elegant solution to this problem and bundled it to a new app called Apple TV. Now with Apple TV + we once again get Apple's payed services shoved down our apple pi-holes . (there is a secret n there)  :pensive: Now my user experience  is awful. I counted almost in every row, and more than 6 times, Apple TV + encouraging me to "learn more"  "just try it"  "free trial" ya whatever Apple. The only thing I'm going to try is the freaking awesome ROKU imbedded tv that I set up for a friend. This thing had a software tuner, built-in to the Roku, which made for a seamless experience between streaming tv apps/channels/content, and actual cable box tuning. The only thing keeping Apple on top is that the Other's suck worse. From what I just experienced, at the start of this year, this could be changing. Apple beware. 
  • Reply 9 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    digitol said:
    I'm continually super disappointed by Apple's conduct these days. From Genius Bar scams, to forum censorship, to now this bait n switch technique. Two prime examples of this include: iTunes. iTunes used to be a "digital jukebox" which has now morphed into a bloated horrible punishing confusing app, that primarily now spams &  sells you Apple's music service.  AppleTv. Apple Tv used to be a great way to experience movies, tv shows, in a way that was annoying/horrible on other platforms. Can you say logins/id's please? Or go to  whatever site / activate and Verify to view. Apple TV came up with an elegant solution to this problem and bundled it to a new app called Apple TV. Now with Apple TV + we once again get Apple's payed services shoved down our apple pi-holes . (there is a secret n there)  :pensive: Now my user experience  is awful. I counted almost in every row, and more than 6 times, Apple TV + encouraging me to "learn more"  "just try it"  "free trial" ya whatever Apple. The only thing I'm going to try is the freaking awesome ROKU imbedded tv that I set up for a friend. This thing had a software tuner, built-in to the Roku, which made for a seamless experience between streaming tv apps/channels/content, and actual cable box tuning. The only thing keeping Apple on top is that the Other's suck worse. From what I just experienced, at the start of this year, this could be changing. Apple beware. 
    I’m super disappointed that you rambled at length off topic
    n2itivguytorstiSoliLukeCageJaiOh81ronnpscooter63danhjony0FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jd_in_sb said:
    digitol said:
    I find his resume quite interesting & full of recognizance (whether off-topic depends on your narrow perspective)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    digitol said:
    I’m pretty sure this guy is providing disinformation against Apple for a marketing company contracted by one of their competitors. It’s the only way his rant could possibly make sense.
    torstironndanhjony0fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Could it have something to do with this?

"I don't understand why Oprah is going after black men," he wrote. "No Harvey Weinstein, No Epstein, just Micheal jackson and Russell Simmons this ... is sad."

- 50 Cent

Mr. 50 Cent does seem to have a point. I saw one photo where Oprah seemed to be very cozy with the sexual predator Harvey Weinstein, kissing him on the cheek, and yet she is making a documentary about sexual predators and metoo, yet Harvey Weinstein, a high profile sexual predator that has been all over the news is somehow omitted from the documentary?

There seems to be a conflict of interest here, and perhaps she pulled out, due to all of the criticism she was facing.

And then there's that Apple movie with Samuel Jackson that is on hold due to sexual and violence accusations against one of the producers. If a company is going to get all involved in making "woke" content, then they had better make sure that there are no skeletons hidden in their own closet and the closet of those making that content, otherwise they might run into a few problems.

edited January 2020
  • Reply 13 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jd_in_sb said:
    digitol said:
    I find his resume quite interesting & full of recognizance (whether off-topic depends on your narrow perspective)
    Recognizance?  Are you sure that's the word you meant to use?
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 30
    apple ][ said:
    Could it have something to do with this?

"I don't understand why Oprah is going after black men," he wrote. "No Harvey Weinstein, No Epstein, just Micheal jackson and Russell Simmons this ... is sad."

- 50 Cent

Mr. 50 Cent does seem to have a point. I saw one photo where Oprah seemed to be very cozy with the sexual predator Harvey Weinstein, kissing him on the cheek, and yet she is making a documentary about sexual predators and metoo, yet Harvey Weinstein, a high profile sexual predator that has been all over the news is somehow omitted from the documentary?

There seems to be a conflict of interest here, and perhaps she pulled out, due to all of the criticism she was facing.

And then there's that Apple movie with Samuel Jackson that is on hold due to sexual and violence accusations against one of the producers. If a company is going to get all involved in making "woke" content, then they had better make sure that there are no skeletons hidden in their own closet and the closet of those making that content, otherwise they might run into a few problems.

The photo you are referencing is from 2014 and well before Weinstein’s issues came into the public. Suggesting that it represents a conflict of interest is simply ridiculing. The documentary is also about sexual misconduct in the music industry. Weinstein worked in film not music so him not being in the documentary isn’t really surprising. 
  • Reply 15 of 30
    The photo you are referencing is from 2014 and well before Weinstein’s issues came into the public.
    The public might not have known about it, but I believe that it was a well known open secret in Hollywood circles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41588203/harvey-weinstein-s-behaviour-was-open-secret
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 16 of 30
    apple ][ said:
    The photo you are referencing is from 2014 and well before Weinstein’s issues came into the public.
    The public might not have known about it, but I believe that it was a well known open secret in Hollywood circles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41588203/harvey-weinstein-s-behaviour-was-open-secret
    Your claim is the Oprah knew and your stated evidence is a picture. So your belief that she knew lacks any sort of substance and based on very weak conjecture. I would think that if someone you knew was accused of sexual misconduct that you would object to people saying you were aware of the behavior simply because you were pictured with them. Maybe not, maybe you enjoy being the target of baseless accusations. 
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 17 of 30
    digitol said:
    What the f are you talking about. None of that is true. 
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 30
    apple ][ said:

Your claim is the Oprah knew and your stated evidence is a picture. So your belief that she knew lacks any sort of substance and based on very weak conjecture. I would think that if someone you knew was accused of sexual misconduct that you would object to people saying you were aware of the behavior simply because you were pictured with them. Maybe not, maybe you enjoy being the target of baseless accusations. 
    Nope, there's also the claim that hollywood knew, outlined by the bbc link, and Oprah being one of the most powerful players would have certainly known, if that claim is true.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

Nope, there's also the claim that hollywood knew, outlined by the bbc link, and Oprah being one of the most powerful players would have certainly known, if that claim is true.
    This was your initial claim:

"I saw one photo where Oprah seemed to be very cozy with the sexual predator Harvey Weinstein, kissing him on the cheek, and yet she is making a documentary about sexual predators and metoo, yet Harvey Weinstein, a high profile sexual predator that has been all over the news is somehow omitted from the documentary?"

You are clearly claiming that based on "one" photo you saw that the two had a "cozy" relationship, implying she knew how about Weinstein's behavior and that because of that "cozy" relationship she is omitting him from a documentary about sexual predators. 

To get to your claim you had to misrepresent what the film was actually about and draw a lot of conclusions from a single photograph. You are engaging in deception and conjecture in an attempt to smear someone. It's really vile behavior. I'm out. 

• Reply 20 of 30
    jd_in_sb said:
    digitol said:
    You’re using the word “recognizance” wrong.