Rumor: 'iPhone 12' will look like a slimmer, taller iPhone 11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Rumblings out of Apple's East Asian supply chain this week offer fresh insight into this year's iPhone release cycle, with a report on Monday claiming the company's 2020 handsets will be similar in design to the iPhone 11 lineup albeit with a few sizing tweaks.

iPhone 11
iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro.

Citing an unnamed Chinese supplier, Mac Otakara reports Apple's next-generation iPhone range, tentatively dubbed "iPhone 12," will share a case design with iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro.

Until today, most predictions pointed to the adoption of a squared metal frame design that harkens back to iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Noted TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo first delivered word of the "significant" design change last September, saying the new frame structure would rely on a "more complex segmentation design, new trenching, and injection molding procedures."

Today's report casts doubt on Kuo's expectations and suggests iPhone will retain a metal chassis with gently bowed edges.

Seemingly confirming rumors that Apple will field three screen sizes in 2020 -- 5.4-, 6.1- and 6.7-inch variants -- sources claim to have information on chassis dimensions. The height of the smallest 5.4-inch version is said to be between that of the iPhone SE and iPhone 8, while the 6.1-inch model lies between the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. The "iPhone 12 Pro Max" predicted to boast a 6.7-inch screen, will supposedly be slightly taller than this year's iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The report goes on to say Apple's 2020 iPhone range will boast a depth of around 7.40 millimeters, much thinner than the 8.1mm iPhone 11 Pro or 8.3mm iPhone 11. Bezel size is expected to be about 2mm, roughly equivalent to current generation iPhones.

All 2020 models are anticipated to benefit from OLED screens, a new "A14" system-on-chip processor and 5G connectivity. The entry-level 5.4- and 6.1-inch iPhones will likely sport dual rear-facing cameras, while the top-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch versions should carry over iPhone 11 Pro's triple-camera array. High-end iterations are also predicted to gain VCSEL time of flight sensors for depth sensing operations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Come on Apple...let's do USB-C this year too. Fingers crossed.
    yojimbo007pascal007Ofercaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 56
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 
    pascal007Ofer
  • Reply 3 of 56
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 
    Because you know the complaining from the general public will be front page news for two weeks...

chasm
  • Reply 4 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    It's my hope the rumors about the iPhone12 possibly having design aspects of the iPhone4 be true.  The iP4 was imho the best-looking iPhone, followed by the iP5.  
    right_said_fredausmachcrefugeecaladanianmacplusplus
  • Reply 5 of 56
    MacMDMacMD Posts: 10member
    What a snooze....
  • Reply 6 of 56
    It’s not iPhone 12. 

We’re just calling it “iPhone” for 2020. 
  • Reply 7 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    StrangeDaysmike1guscat
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Just upgraded from iPhone 6s Plus to iPhone 11 Pro Max. OOOOOO MMMMMM GGGGGG !!! Best decision EVER :) 
    doozydozenGeorgeBMacguscat
  • Reply 9 of 56
    I would like a slightly smaller screen and a thicker body (more battery capacity).  This obsession with trying to be as slim as possible is driving me nuts 
    netroxelijahg80s_Apple_GuyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Who’s asking for a taller phone? I think the Samsung phones are hideous. I hope Apple isn’t going that route.
    caladanianretrogusto
  • Reply 11 of 56
    No. USB connectors have always been horrible.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    The height of the smallest 5.4-inch version is said to be between that of the iPhone SE and iPhone 8”

Huh?? Doubts. 
  • Reply 13 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    Not just "the current standard" but because it's a great connector that the iPads and Macs have already adopted.

While I don't care if the next iPhone has Lightning, I'd certainly prefer if it was USB-C.
    racoleman29fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Nope, no cable connector, wireless charging only....

eliminates a dust/water problem
    further reduces jail breaks
    increases internal space, for larger battery and improves options for internal layouts
    bluetooth 5.x

• Reply 15 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    In a word...compatibility. Period.
    caladanian
  • Reply 16 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    Exactly - the obsession with a switch to USB-C is just another manifestation of “I want it because it’s new”, while not actually spending any time thinking thinking of the ramifications (or why USB-C would be a terrible choice for iPhone, aside from bringing about zero benefits).
    GeorgeBMacmike1
  • Reply 17 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    lkrupp said:
    Exactly - the obsession with a switch to USB-C is just another manifestation of “I want it because it’s new”, while not actually spending any time thinking thinking of the ramifications (or why USB-C would be a terrible choice for iPhone, aside from bringing about zero benefits).
    While I prefer the durability of the lightning connector, it’s generally known that the reason Apple went to lightning is because USBc was not out yet and they had to get off that horrible 30-pin adapter.

well it’s out now and truth be told, it’s time for USBc to be the de facto connector.  It’s already in the iPad, it’s on Macs now.  It just makes sense.  Sure, people will complain like they did the old connectors, but in the end it will be better.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 56
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    Apple will go portless
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Dear Apple, I already have a computer at home; three of them in fact. So just give me a damn phone already!!
  • Reply 20 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bageljoey said:
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 
    Because you know the complaining from the general public will be front page news for two weeks...

... And justifiably so...
    The general, non-technical public doesn't give a damn about technology or trying to keep up with it.   It is only concerned with:  "What does this thing do for me?".   Not only does USB-C do nothing for them but instead means they have to buy a bunch of new charging cords.  So no, they won't be happy. 
    mike1