Apple to launch new affordable iPhone model in March

Posted:
in iPhone
Adding to a raft of rumors surrounding a low-cost iPhone model tentatively dubbed "iPhone SE 2," a report on Tuesday claims the hotly anticipated iPhone SE-tier follow-up is going into production next month.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Apple suppliers are slated to begin manufacturing the as-yet-unannounced affordable iPhone variant in February ahead of a public debut in March.

Apple last launched a handset aimed at the mass-market with the iPhone SE in March 2016. That model borrowed a design from iPhone 5s, which was two years old at the time, and packed it with then-current tech including an A9 processor and a 12-megapixel camera. The model was priced at $399.

The tech giant is expected to follow a similar strategy with "iPhone SE 2." According to analyst predictions, the upcoming handset is anticipated to share an external design with iPhone 8, currently the cheapest iPhone offering at $449. A 4.7-inch screen is also expected, as is the inclusion of a Touch ID home button for biometric authentication and user interface navigation.

Like iPhone SE, the next-generation low-cost iPhone is rumored to boast Apple's latest processor technology, the A13 Bionic, as well as current-generation camera technology.

A number of trade industry publications have speculated on Apple's 2020 iPhone roadmap, with some claiming the company might launch two low-cost models in 2020. Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested Apple is indeed developing a larger-screened "iPhone SE 2," but intends to release the handset in 2021. Other rumblings suggest Apple is working on an "SE 2" variant with full-face display and Face ID, though the validity of those assertions are shaky at best due to prohibitive production costs.

Hon Hai, Pegatron and Wistron have been tapped to assemble the next-generation affordable iPhone, according to today's report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    It’s going to be the iPhone 11 SE. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 24
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I’m going with iPhone Nein!
    baconstangradarthekattokyojimucincyteeFileMakerFellerfreethinking
  • Reply 3 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I continue to use my 8+ interchangeably with my 11 Pro Max. It’s my kick around phone I use for the gym and connected to my controller to fly either of my drones and for capturing time lapses (so I can still have access to my main phone during that lengthy process).  And when I’m out in the local markets here in the Philippines, where pickpocketing is a possibility.  I don’t find it to be substandard for these uses compared to the 11 Pro.  It’s a perfectly great phone, just a bit slower when editing videos.  So a new SE based on the 8 or 8+ with the latest processor would be a great phone for half the cost of the flagship.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone 9/SE2 64GB at $399 price point is acceptable to upgrade to for those budget conscious and still on iPhone 6/6s/7.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Funny to read that the most successful smartphone series in the world is now aiming for the “mass market”. 
    fotoformattmayrazorpitFileMakerFellercornchipwatto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 6 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Not long to see if this rumour proves to be true, but if this materialises it will be a step in the right direction.

The icing on the cake would be a modern exterior design but if you absolutely need or want to be on iOS and are on a budget, a powerful, affordable option is worth its weight in gold.

It is also a carrot for possible Android switchers.

Launching outside the typical end of year refresh cycle also makes a lot of sense. It gives marketing something to talk about and will get some attention when the world has all its attention on MWC. 
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Funny to read that the most successful smartphone series in the world is now aiming for the “mass market”. 
    They should call it ™ turnover model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mattinoz said:
    They should call it ™ turnover model. 
    Mmmmm... me loves an Apple Turnover!
    GG1mattinozcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Why is the media treating this as something special? CNN even is running an article saying a cheap iPhone is coming as if it’s something Apple has never done before. iPhone 8 currently starts at $449. This phone will be an 8 style body with updated internals and probably $50 cheaper. In other words another SE type phone.

OT, but can I just say I hate how all the prices quoted on Apple’s website now are based on trade-in? Just give me the full and monthly installment price of the phone. None of this asterisk crap based on the maximum possible value you could get if you had a device to trade-in.

cornchipSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 10 of 24
    The main feature of the SE is size not price.

if I wanted a big ass phone I’d just buy a current gen iPhone Pro Max Ultimate Hardcore. or whatever bullshit name the come up with next.
    cornchipchuck1252oldenboomleftoverbaconatomic101
  • Reply 11 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Why is the media treating this as something special? CNN even is running an article saying a cheap iPhone is coming as if it’s something Apple has never done before. iPhone 8 currently starts at $449. This phone will be an 8 style body with updated internals and probably $50 cheaper. In other words another SE type phone.

OT, but can I just say I hate how all the prices quoted on Apple’s website now are based on trade-in? Just give me the full and monthly installment price of the phone. None of this asterisk crap based on the maximum possible value you could get if you had a device to trade-in.

Yep. This is the same advertising model the Chevy dealership down the street uses. Chevy sells a lot of cars, so I guess we can expect this trend to continue.  :s
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 24
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone 9/SE2 64GB at $399 price point is acceptable to upgrade to for those budget conscious and still on iPhone 6/6s/7.
    Lol. I am budget conscious. Just bought SE 64GB for 120 USD to upgrade my 5s.
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I thought Apple had moved on from big bezels limiting screen size.

Putting out a phone with big bezels replacing big chunks of screen would be like a car manufacturer putting out a 1930's style car with the big fenders sticking out over the wheels.  I'm sure some will buy it regardless, but this is not the future,   It is the past.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    wood1208 said:
    So the budget conscious paid for an iPhone 6/6s or 7 presumably new, but are budget conscious and looking for an iPhone at $399.00?  Were these phones that cheap at launch or am I missing something?  Are we assuming everyone that is using those phones bought them years later?

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    What a quarterly report we are in store for at the end of the month.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I thought Apple had moved on from big bezels limiting screen size.

Putting out a phone with big bezels replacing big chunks of screen would be like a car manufacturer putting out a 1930's style car with the big fenders sticking out over the wheels.  I'm sure some will buy it regardless, but this is not the future,   It is the past.

If it’s a significant portion of their market and it costs very little to produce, then why not continue making and selling them? Has nothing to do with the past when people are still willing to buy them in the future.

jcs2305 said:
    wood1208 said:
    So the budget conscious paid for an iPhone 6/6s or 7 presumably new, but are budget conscious and looking for an iPhone at $399.00?  Were these phones that cheap at launch or am I missing something?  Are we assuming everyone that is using those phones bought them years later?

Haha! Good point!

Those people still on iPhone 6/6s/7 aren’t budget conscious, more than likely they are wary of Face ID and prefer Touch ID.

Now, there may be a lot of people who bought those models when they were “yesterdays” models and got them cheap, maybe those are the people they’re alluding to?

The SE wasn’t about being “cheap” is was about keeping an older much-desired design around longer. It was inexpensive because it didn’t cost as much to produce. (No new tooling/manufacturing/assembly lines had to be set up.)
    edited January 2020 cornchipwatto_cobrachuck1252
  • Reply 17 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member

What are you talking about? When you go to the ‘Buy’ page it asks you if you have a trade in and lists two boxes, “Yes from $xx/mo or $xxx” and “No from $yy/mo or $yyy” just click the ‘no’ box and carry on. If you use the page that compares iPhones it lists the prices for the base models. 

As far as the SE2 goes, I think it’s a great idea to offer a budget priced model, but as others have pointed out the base model 8 is already down to $450. If they release it for the next model cycle it would essentially be like keeping the 8 in the lineup and dropping the price along with everything else. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 24
    A "discount" iPhone will still be priced comfortably in the high tier among all phones. It is no race to the bottom.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I would be surprised if this actually happens. First of all, this is coming from Bloomberg and they are citing "supply chain sources." Secondly, Apple is a company that will drop the old to follow the new hotness when they deem it clearly superior; they had to backtrack on the Mac Pro but I don't see the same factors affecting iPhones.

In essence, there are two things people are making noise about:

1. Affordability. What people really want is a return to the time when carriers would provide a phone at no charge since they made the handset cost back in service fees. Carriers have now realised that they can continue to charge outrageous service fees without subsidising the handsets, the handsets are more expensive because they're doing more, and if you are willing to forego the latest hardware you can get an older model for a discount. If you think Apple's approach is wrong and they're missing out on sales... well, there's total revenue of US$190bn for the 2019 year to consider. Try and convince Apple's Board of Directors.

2. Size. The original iPhone was mocked for not being big enough, but it still sold incredibly well. The bigger devices helped increase iPhone revenue in 2015 to US$153bn, up from US$101bn the year before, so there is clearly demand for the larger devices too. The iPhone SE is supposedly the optimum form-factor for people wanting a smaller phone; this rumour says the new phone will be based on the iPhone 8, which (while comfortable for everyone I know who has one), is larger than the SE and not significantly smaller than the 11 Pro.

In the end, I see a slight chance that Apple will do this - it has, after all, been four years since the release of the iPhone SE, so they've had time to complete a full re-design if that was their intention - but I truly doubt it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Good move. A cheap(er) iPhone with better camera abilities and a fast processor is a winner. I currently have 128gb on my phone but have never come anywhere near getting it even half full. Just about everything I do is on iCloud / AppleMusic, so I just don't need much storage. As for face ID v touch ID, I don't really care. Face ID is nice but worth the premium? Not really. The older I get the more I appreciate minimalism. My wife has an iPhone 8 and honestly it is still a wickedly capable device.
    cornchipwatto_cobra