Apple earns record $91.8B in first quarter revenue on strong iPhone 11 sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Daaaaam. Don’t worry, Apple is still doomed. Like our sun. 
    Wgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Strong quarter, for Apple, in what is traditionally their best quarter. Good job!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Uh oh, better fire Tim Cook like all those knuckleheads said to do.
    Actually considering the revenue they have now I would expect much more out of Apple than we are getting.   The Mac line is a significant mess.   They could do with  better management of all operating system lines too.  

In otherwords we really need to see Apple investing in its future.  
    baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wizard69 said:
    Actually considering the revenue they have now I would expect much more out of Apple than we are getting.   The Mac line is a significant mess.   They could do with  better management of all operating system lines too.  

And it’s future ain’t the Mac.
    tmayStrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Once again the so-called 'experts' not even in the ball park.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    sirozha said:
    Today Coronavirus deaths increased by another 25% in 24 hours after having increased 25% in the previous 24 hours. The number of deaths now stands at 131 and exceeded the number of deaths caused by SARS. Over 60 million Chinese are under quarantine and are staying at home. The US is considering canceling all flights to and out of China. 

Watch the AAPL take a dive. This epidemic is for real. 
    Great...  you should be guaranteed to cash in big when you short AAPL right?  Put your money where your mouth is and show us how it's done.

StrangeDaysbaconstangchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 58
    I read an article to day that kinda explains it. When analysts come with predictions of revenue, profit, margins, EPS, etc. it’s really just guesses in their part. So if Apple doesn’t meet those predictions the interpretation is that Apple screwed up but the reality is that the analysts just made stupid guesses. Again, when Apple exceeds those predictions it really means the analysts screwed up. These so-called experts are just county fair tent show fortune tellers with a crystal ball and a turban hat. Some pf them probably use Tarot Cards and  Ouija Boards.  /s
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:

It might not be a huge part of Apples future but without a Mac like product they can realize a future where home automation, true smart homes, come into existence.    Even today the only reason I have to spend a lot of money with Apple is in the Mac line and right  now that would be a waste of money.   The lack of attention with respect to Mac hardware is disgusting. 

The other issue alluded to is the state of their system software software on all platforms.   Even iOS is suffering from an endless line of bugs.    It has gotten so bad that I’m closing out Safari many times a day as it starts to malfunction.  In some cases I just close out all apps and start over.   It has been along time since I thought that was a useful action 

You are free to blindly defend Apple but I see their lack of investment in products to be dangerous leaving them open to competition they can’t handle.  In many ways they are a modern day RIM that doesn’t believe a superior product can unseat them. 

Of course Apples greatest near term threat is the coming election and the misguided desire to tear big business apart.   It is saddening to think about what might happen to Apple because a broken up Apple would seriously impact the ability of the resultant companies to compete.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    I read an article to day that kinda explains it. When analysts come with predictions of revenue, profit, margins, EPS, etc. it’s really just guesses in their part. So if Apple doesn’t meet those predictions the interpretation is that Apple screwed up but the reality is that the analysts just made stupid guesses. Again, when Apple exceeds those predictions it really means the analysts screwed up. These so-called experts are just county fair tent show fortune tellers with a crystal ball and a turban hat. Some pf them probably use Tarot Cards and  Ouija Boards.
    I’m not even sure how analyst managed to grab such influence in the mainstream media.   Even AI is guilty here and frankly should know better.    Even if this wasn’t Apples “best quarter ever” (whatever that means) it isn’t like the company is at risk of failure.  

Frankly I’ve worked at a place where the CEO was under intense pressure from Wall Street for better and better quarters even if the company was growing at a decent rate and had good products in the market.  In the end the focus on quarterlies has become symptomatic of greed on Wall Street.  

It would make the world a far better place if the focus was on long term plans.   Few companies will go down the tubes with one “bad” quarter any will without a long term strategy.   We really need to see that Apple isn’t caught up in this nonsense and has a long term vision.    Frankly I see some of the attitude they have with rep left to the Mac line creeping into other product lines.  IPad for example is suffering from drawn out revision cycles and software is often not touched for years on end in a meaningful way.    You might be right that Mac isn’t a strong component in Apples future but the disgraceful way it is handled within the company appears to be spreading like the corona virus.   
    chemengin1williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 58
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:

It might not be a huge part of Apples future but without a Mac like product they can realize a future where home automation, true smart homes, come into existence.    Even today the only reason I have to spend a lot of money with Apple is in the Mac line and right  now that would be a waste of money.   The lack of attention with respect to Mac hardware is disgusting. 

The other issue alluded to is the state of their system software software on all platforms.   Even iOS is suffering from an endless line of bugs.    It has gotten so bad that I’m closing out Safari many times a day as it starts to malfunction.  In some cases I just close out all apps and start over.   It has been along time since I thought that was a useful action 

You are free to blindly defend Apple but I see their lack of investment in products to be dangerous leaving them open to competition they can’t handle.  In many ways they are a modern day RIM that doesn’t believe a superior product can unseat them. 

Of course Apples greatest near term threat is the coming election and the misguided desire to tear big business apart.   It is saddening to think about what might happen to Apple because a broken up Apple would seriously impact the ability of the resultant companies to compete.  
    Well, if what you claim is even remotely true, terrible software, horrible hardware, bug riddled everything it begs the question... why are you still using Apple hardware and software? I ask that in all sincerity. Many like you are constantly ranting about your Apple gear, bugs, QA, lack of innovation, etc. If you bought a refrigerator and experienced nothing but trouble and repair bills, why would you buy the same brand again? 

And just for the record I experience none of the problems you claim you have with Safari and it’s running all day long. My last system boot was 18 days ago. Same goes for Mail (another app that people like to rant about). I have a hard time believing what you say you experience.
    StrangeDayschiawatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Apple fucking killed it in 2019. One of their most productive, and frankly best, years of recent memory. And that's saying a lot. 

iPhone 11/Pro, Airpods 2, Airpods Pro, Macbook Pro 16", new iPad Air, Apple Watch series 5, Mac Pro, XDR display, iOS13, iPadOS, WatchOS6, Catalina, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, Apple News +, Apple Card, etc. 

Looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeves for 2020. 
    edited January 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    Not knuckleheads but ASSHATS, and many of them live here. Can’t wait for the armchair CEOs to expound on how Apple could have done much better if it had followed their advice. All the blathering about Tim Cook, Apple’s QA “decline”, crappy software, lack of a headless Mac with slots, political stances, environmental policies, the list goes on for ever. All the blowhards that come in here ranting about Apple can take a slow boat to China, but remember to wear a mask, losers.
    This is all you talk about and you never actually contribute anything good here. Go home and stay off. It only makes you look like the asshat as you like to call everyone else that has a different opinion than yours. 
    There's whole range of people who like nothing but to bash Tim Cooke, and tell us how awful of a CEO he is. It's one of the really tedious things about Apple comment sections are all of the people posting frankly ignorant criticisms about Apple. Of course, if you want to contribute something, you could actually try pointing out what was wrong with this comment instead of going off on it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,422member
    wizard69 said:
    Actually considering the revenue they have now I would expect much more out of Apple than we are getting.   The Mac line is a significant mess.
    Keep fucking that chicken. 
    SolitmaylkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 58
    apple ][ said:
    Great numbers! 

I wonder if AAPL continues to rise, will they be doing a split again sometime in the future?
    Would enjoy that myself, but I think they were in the $700+/share last time they split - so I’m feeling like it’s not likely at the current cost. 
    The reason Apple split at $700 was they became a Dow component. The Dow, being a price weighted index doesn't allow a company's share price to get too high or it will have too much influence on its'  movement. One reason Goog, Amzn, Brk.a etc. aren't Dow components. Anyone know how high a share price the Dow will allow before they have to split?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nicely done.  :)

It’s gratifying to see Services in particular doing so well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    It would have been interesting if Apple released the 16" Macbook Pro at the beginning of the quarter. I bought my daughter one at the end of the year, and I know a few others who also bought one in January. A lot of us were hoping for a new iPad Pro in October, but that didn't arrive either. March is my current guess. That would have made a difference as well. I can easily see a million of us waiting for that.

If those two things arrived early in the quarter, Apple could have easily matched last years sales for the Mac and iPad for the quarter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,899member
    lkrupp said:
    Not knuckleheads but ASSHATS, and many of them live here. Can’t wait for the armchair CEOs to expound on how Apple could have done much better if it had followed their advice. All the blathering about Tim Cook, Apple’s QA “decline”, crappy software, lack of a headless Mac with slots, political stances, environmental policies, the list goes on for ever. All the blowhards that come in here ranting about Apple can take a slow boat to China, but remember to wear a mask, losers.
    This is all you talk about and you never actually contribute anything good here. Go home and stay off. It only makes you look like the asshat as you like to call everyone else that has a different opinion than yours. 
    Nonsense. He makes valid criticisms over the type of opinions we often see. Faulty opinions, IMO, and thus the criticism is reasonable. 

Your post, however, is just a personal insult. Ad
    hominem attacks. 
    tmaywatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 58
    wizard69 said:

Record quarter, still not good enough. I rest my case. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 58

wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:

There it is - Apple’s management of one of the longest and most successful computer lines is “disgusting”! lol. Personally I think you’re nuts. We have awesome Macs today — a nice iMac 5K (I bought one in 2019, it’s so, so much better than my 2011), a powerful mini, excellent new MBP, and of course the new Pro for those who demand the most. So, no idea what you’re on about. Other than wanting a DIY tinkerer Pro tower...but Apple still not being interested in this is hardly “disgusting!”

Curious, I have no such problems with Safari requiring restarts or reboots. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. 

As for bugs, they *will* be endless. That’s the nature of bugs in continually developing software platforms. You don’t ever reach a point of getting them all. 
    edited January 2020 fastasleepwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 58
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not a chance. The doomsayers and naysayers deserve to be confronted, rebutted, ridiculed for being consistently, unerringly, spectacularly, ridiculously wrong at every turn when it comes to Apple. 

Now, as for your apparent annoyance at my opinions and intolerance for the naysayers and haters, you have the option to block me at any time and I’m gone from your radar. Or maybe if you complain hard enough to management they will ban me altogether. I’m about ready to can my membership in the various Apple tech blogs because of the constant negativity that pervades them all. 
    Negativity for its own sake is simply a pain in the ass. Thanks for calling them out. 
    StrangeDayschiawatto_cobra