Apple earns record $91.8B in first quarter revenue on strong iPhone 11 sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    brisance said:
    Please edit the headline of the article. In accounting and finance, “earns” means “profit”, which is a very specific concept as opposed to “revenue” aka “sales”. This misleads the reader into believing that Apple made more money (profit) than it actually generated. 

Terms are important and are not interchangeable based on the whims of the author. It affects the credibility and accuracy of the article and the site in general. 
    I’m interpreting this as the verb “to earn”. In that case it’s revenue. Just like “I earn $40/hour” does not mean that’s what I take home unless you specify. They’re speaking to the average reader, rather than stock analysts or accountants. 
  • Reply 42 of 58
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Encountered this Chart today under a page heading of:

Tesla isn’t the only company millennials are betting on

at https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-stock-millennial-investors-top-10-list/

I found number 9 interesting in terms of their component business rather than whole systems/devices. Tesla is on a tear too.
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 58
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    Uh oh, better fire Tim Cook like all those knuckleheads said to do.
    Actually considering the revenue they have now I would expect much more out of Apple than we are getting.   The Mac line is a significant mess.   They could do with  better management of all operating system lines too.  

In otherwords we really need to see Apple investing in its future.  
    And it’s future ain’t the Mac.
    It might not be a huge part of Apples future but without a Mac like product they can realize a future where home automation, true smart homes, come into existence.    Even today the only reason I have to spend a lot of money with Apple is in the Mac line and right  now that would be a waste of money.   The lack of attention with respect to Mac hardware is disgusting. 

The other issue alluded to is the state of their system software software on all platforms.   Even iOS is suffering from an endless line of bugs.    It has gotten so bad that I’m closing out Safari many times a day as it starts to malfunction.  In some cases I just close out all apps and start over.   It has been along time since I thought that was a useful action 

You are free to blindly defend Apple but I see their lack of investment in products to be dangerous leaving them open to competition they can’t handle.  In many ways they are a modern day RIM that doesn’t believe a superior product can unseat them. 

Of course Apples greatest near term threat is the coming election and the misguided desire to tear big business apart.   It is saddening to think about what might happen to Apple because a broken up Apple would seriously impact the ability of the resultant companies to compete.  
    Well, if what you claim is even remotely true, terrible software, horrible hardware, bug riddled everything it begs the question... why are you still using Apple hardware and software? I ask that in all sincerity. Many like you are constantly ranting about your Apple gear, bugs, QA, lack of innovation, etc. If you bought a refrigerator and experienced nothing but trouble and repair bills, why would you buy the same brand again? 

And just for the record I experience none of the problems you claim you have with Safari and it’s running all day long. My last system boot was 18 days ago. Same goes for Mail (another app that people like to rant about). I have a hard time believing what you say you experience.
    I have a hard time believing that your entire Apple experience is all roses and think nobody eve has problems with their Apple experience. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 58
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

lkrupp said:
    Not knuckleheads but ASSHATS, and many of them live here. Can’t wait for the armchair CEOs to expound on how Apple could have done much better if it had followed their advice. All the blathering about Tim Cook, Apple’s QA “decline”, crappy software, lack of a headless Mac with slots, political stances, environmental policies, the list goes on for ever. All the blowhards that come in here ranting about Apple can take a slow boat to China, but remember to wear a mask, losers.
    This is all you talk about and you never actually contribute anything good here. Go home and stay off. It only makes you look like the asshat as you like to call everyone else that has a different opinion than yours. 
    Nonsense. He makes valid criticisms over the type of opinions we often see. Faulty opinions, IMO, and thus the criticism is reasonable. 

Your post, however, is just a personal insult. Ad
    hominem attacks. 
    Not at all. Just tired of you an him acting like bullies and thinking you own this space. People are allowed to voice their own opinion even if it’s different from yours. I own a ton of Apple crap and think most of it is great. But I’m not delusional like you both and think Apple is perfect. There’s plenty of things Apple does that sucks. You guys just don’t believe it b
    williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    Actually considering the revenue they have now I would expect much more out of Apple than we are getting.   The Mac line is a significant mess.   They could do with  better management of all operating system lines too.  

In otherwords we really need to see Apple investing in its future.  
    And it’s future ain’t the Mac.
    It might not be a huge part of Apples future but without a Mac like product they can realize a future where home automation, true smart homes, come into existence.    Even today the only reason I have to spend a lot of money with Apple is in the Mac line and right  now that would be a waste of money.   The lack of attention with respect to Mac hardware is disgusting. 

The other issue alluded to is the state of their system software software on all platforms.   Even iOS is suffering from an endless line of bugs.    It has gotten so bad that I’m closing out Safari many times a day as it starts to malfunction.  In some cases I just close out all apps and start over.   It has been along time since I thought that was a useful action 

You are free to blindly defend Apple but I see their lack of investment in products to be dangerous leaving them open to competition they can’t handle.  In many ways they are a modern day RIM that doesn’t believe a superior product can unseat them. 

Of course Apples greatest near term threat is the coming election and the misguided desire to tear big business apart.   It is saddening to think about what might happen to Apple because a broken up Apple would seriously impact the ability of the resultant companies to compete.  
    Well, if what you claim is even remotely true, terrible software, horrible hardware, bug riddled everything it begs the question... why are you still using Apple hardware and software? I ask that in all sincerity. Many like you are constantly ranting about your Apple gear, bugs, QA, lack of innovation, etc. If you bought a refrigerator and experienced nothing but trouble and repair bills, why would you buy the same brand again? 

And just for the record I experience none of the problems you claim you have with Safari and it’s running all day long. My last system boot was 18 days ago. Same goes for Mail (another app that people like to rant about). I have a hard time believing what you say you experience.
    I have a hard time believing that your entire Apple experience is all roses and think nobody eve has problems with their Apple experience. 
    Of course we do, everyone does, on every single platform. But Safari has always been rock solid here as well. Claiming it has to be restarted daily is a joke. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

lkrupp said:
    Not knuckleheads but ASSHATS, and many of them live here. Can’t wait for the armchair CEOs to expound on how Apple could have done much better if it had followed their advice. All the blathering about Tim Cook, Apple’s QA “decline”, crappy software, lack of a headless Mac with slots, political stances, environmental policies, the list goes on for ever. All the blowhards that come in here ranting about Apple can take a slow boat to China, but remember to wear a mask, losers.
    This is all you talk about and you never actually contribute anything good here. Go home and stay off. It only makes you look like the asshat as you like to call everyone else that has a different opinion than yours. 
    Nonsense. He makes valid criticisms over the type of opinions we often see. Faulty opinions, IMO, and thus the criticism is reasonable. 

Your post, however, is just a personal insult. Ad
    hominem attacks. 
    Not at all. Just tired of you an him acting like bullies and thinking you own this space. People are allowed to voice their own opinion even if it’s different from yours. I own a ton of Apple crap and think most of it is great. But I’m not delusional like you both and think Apple is perfect. There’s plenty of things Apple does that sucks. You guys just don’t believe it b
    Oho so now it’s me too! Lol. Look son, you’re going to have to learn the difference between criticizing *ideas*, vs attacking people. He was criticizing ideas. You attacked him. Me and several others pointed it out, so then you attacked me. You’re on the fritz. 

Nobody said you’re not allowed to share your opinions. Nobody said we never have problems or Apple can do no wrong — go ahead, quote me otherwise. But you won’t. You can’t. It’s not my position. Thus you’re making another logical fallacy, the straw man. Look it up. 

This started when I said the group of people who have expressed the need for Cook to resign are foolish. That’s an idea. A valid one, IMO. I never called you or anyone else out or claimed it was your position.

Are you seeing how this works?
    tmaywatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 58
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,690member
    On the subject of the title, and taking into account the audience, I don't see a problem with it.

Yesterday was an 'earnings' call which encapsulates everything in a financial context.

The short reading would be:

"Apple earns $98.1B in revenues"

That is perfectly acceptable in my view.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 58
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,690member
    cincytee said:
    avon b7 said:
    On the subject of the title, and taking into account the audience, I don't see a problem with it.

Yesterday was an 'earnings' call which encapsulates everything in a financial context.

The short reading would be:

"Apple earns $98.1B in revenues"

That is perfectly acceptable in my view.
    I don't understand "taking into account the audience". Does the audience not want to know the actual numbers of Apple's earnings and revenues?
    This is a general audience, not a financial audience. The verb 'earn' means:

(of an activity) cause (someone) to obtain (money).

That money could be revenue, profit, interest etc. The 'earnings' call also goes into those various elements and as such is a simple catch all umbrella term in itself.

I think this audience can get the gist of the use of the word without problems.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not a chance. The doomsayers and naysayers deserve to be confronted, rebutted, ridiculed for being consistently, unerringly, spectacularly, ridiculously wrong at every turn when it comes to Apple. 

Now, as for your apparent annoyance at my opinions and intolerance for the naysayers and haters, you have the option to block me at any time and I’m gone from your radar. Or maybe if you complain hard enough to management they will ban me altogether. I’m about ready to can my membership in the various Apple tech blogs because of the constant negativity that pervades them all. 
    You go Lkrupp. Love your comments. Ignore the haters. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 58
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    Well Apple did cut the Price of the iPhone11 from what the XR started at.   And their updates have taken a while to work out bugs.   But Google makes a good phone one year, then a bad one the next - Apple is always more reliable despite missteps like the butterfly keyboard which they deserved the criticism.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    iqatedo said:

I found number 9 interesting in terms of their component business rather than whole systems/devices. Tesla is on a tear too.
    Apex Clearing seems to be a highly unethical company releasing that kind of information from customers who should be able to trust their service.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 58
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    sflocal said:
    sirozha said:
    Today Coronavirus deaths increased by another 25% in 24 hours after having increased 25% in the previous 24 hours. The number of deaths now stands at 131 and exceeded the number of deaths caused by SARS. Over 60 million Chinese are under quarantine and are staying at home. The US is considering canceling all flights to and out of China. 

Watch the AAPL take a dive. This epidemic is for real. 
    Great...  you should be guaranteed to cash in big when you short AAPL right?  Put your money where your mouth is and show us how it's done.

I did. Sold it all. 2 million worth. I don’t believe in this company anymore, so I am putting my money where my mind is. 

I’m not interested in swapping my iPhone for a new model every year. I’m completely apathetic toward the iPad, as I have no use for it due to I t crippled OS. And that is after being an iPad evangelist in the early 2010s. 

I still love macOS, but there hasn’t been a Mac released since 2015 that I would want to buy. The new 16” MacBook Pro is simply too huge for a portable computer, and everything else has a horrid keyboard. I own a 2018 MacBook Air, and it’s an overpriced flawed laptop with so many defects and a puny CPU. The only reason
    I bought it was that my previous 2015 MacBook Pro died. 

I’m not planning to buy a new Apple Watch every year. My 2.5 year-old Apple Watch 3 is still fine. I am not interested in the HomePod or Airpods Pro. I have 3-year-old Airpods, which are still fine. I have zero interest in Apple TV+ as a service, as Netflix and Amazon Video
    are far better deals. 

I stopped watching Apple Keynotes a couple years ago. I used to be glued to
    the screen and watched every minute of every keynote. I simply cannot  bear watching Tim Cook. It’s like watching paint dry. 

I think my next smartphone will be an Android, as I find Android much more useful for
    me, especially with Android Auto vs CarPlay. I’ve been using a cheap Android phone permanently docked in my car for 2 years now for Android Auto and car phone, as well as for the smart assistant. It’s light years ahead of what iPhone can do with CarPlay. Apple has no
    interest in improving Siri or in-car experience with CarPlay. It’s simply sad. 

My house is completely outfitted with smart devices that use HomeKit. HomeKit has been buggy for years, and Apple is not fixing the bugs. Fortunately, all my smart devices are compatible with Google Home and Amazon
    Echo, so it won’t be a painful transition. 

My Apple TV’s are a few years old and are still fine. I won’t be buying new ones for years. 

Basically, after investing in Apple for almost two decades and being excited about the innovation, I completely lost any interest in the company. I haven’t been to an Apple store in over a year. I find Apple as boring as Microsoft now. I believe in the principle of only investing in companies I’m excited about. Apple is no longer one of them. However, I will probably remain a Mac user for a while unless I decide to fully transition to Linux, which I’m already in the process of doing with some of my systems.

Good luck with everything. 
    edited January 2020 avon b7
  • Reply 53 of 58
    iqatedo said:

Apex Clearing seems to be a highly unethical company releasing that kind of information from customers who should be able to trust their service.
    Uh...why?
  • Reply 54 of 58

sirozha said:
    sflocal said:
    sirozha said:
    Today Coronavirus deaths increased by another 25% in 24 hours after having increased 25% in the previous 24 hours. The number of deaths now stands at 131 and exceeded the number of deaths caused by SARS. Over 60 million Chinese are under quarantine and are staying at home. The US is considering canceling all flights to and out of China. 

Watch the AAPL take a dive. This epidemic is for real. 
    Great...  you should be guaranteed to cash in big when you short AAPL right?  Put your money where your mouth is and show us how it's done.

I did. Sold it all. 2 million worth. I don’t believe in this company anymore, so I am putting my money where my mind is. 

I’m not interested in swapping my iPhone for a new model every year. I’m completely apathetic toward the iPad, as I have no use for it due to I t crippled OS. And that is after being an iPad evangelist in the early 2010s. 

I still love macOS, but there hasn’t been a Mac released since 2015 that I would want to buy. The new 16” MacBook Pro is simply too huge for a portable computer, and everything else has a horrid keyboard. I own a 2018 MacBook Air, and it’s an overpriced flawed laptop with so many defects and a puny CPU. The only reason
    I bought it was that my previous 2015 MacBook Pro died. 

I’m not planning to buy a new Apple Watch every year. My 2.5 year-old Apple Watch 3 is still fine. I am not interested in the HomePod or Airpods Pro. I have 3-year-old Airpods, which are still fine. I have zero interest in Apple TV+ as a service, as Netflix and Amazon Video
    are far better deals. 

I stopped watching Apple Keynotes a couple years ago. I used to be glued to
    the screen and watched every minute of every keynote. I simply cannot  bear watching Tim Cook. It’s like watching paint dry. 

I think my next smartphone will be an Android, as I find Android much more useful for
    me, especially with Android Auto vs CarPlay. I’ve been using a cheap Android phone permanently docked in my car for 2 years now for Android Auto and car phone, as well as for the smart assistant. It’s light years ahead of what iPhone can do with CarPlay. Apple has no
    interest in improving Siri or in-car experience with CarPlay. It’s simply sad. 

My house is completely outfitted with smart devices that use HomeKit. HomeKit has been buggy for years, and Apple is not fixing the bugs. Fortunately, all my smart devices are compatible with Google Home and Amazon
    Echo, so it won’t be a painful transition. 

My Apple TV’s are a few years old and are still fine. I won’t be buying new ones for years. 

Basically, after investing in Apple for almost two decades and being excited about the innovation, I completely lost any interest in the company. I haven’t been to an Apple store in over a year. I find Apple as boring as Microsoft now. I believe in the principle of only investing in companies I’m excited about. Apple is no longer one of them. However, I will probably remain a Mac user for a while unless I decide to fully transition to Linux, which I’m already in the process of doing with some of my systems.

Good luck with everything. 
    Ten bucks says this guy buys the 14” MBP this Spring and a new iPhone this Fall. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 58
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    How did you like today’s AAPL drop of 4.43%? The bulls run for the hills at the first sign of a possible trouble with manufacturing capabilities in China. This AAPL rally was a bubble like never before. Same thing is now happening to TSLA. There are no fundamentals for either stock to grow like it has in calendar Q4 2019. 

Apple didn’t recover its China sales numbers or revenue since the 18% drop a year ago. Yes, Apple did much better than last year in China, but still worse than two years ago. 

TSLA made $200 million in profit last quarter, and the stock is 4.5 times what it was half a year ago. That’s simply crazy. 

The situation in China is very serious. It’s getting worse by the day. The number of infections and deaths is steadily growing by about 30% every day. This exponential growth will shut down all manufacturing in China for a foreseeable future. No one knows when the activity of this Coronavirus will start slowing down. We know that influenza subsides significantly in warm months, but we have no idea about this strain of Coronavirus. 

The Coronavirus emergency will pop the AAPL and TSLA bubbles. I won’t be surprised if we retest last year’s lows in the $150 per share  range for both AAPL and TSLA. 

edited January 2020
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Apple has announced that its shutting down all its stores in mainland China until February 9. That’s for now. They will most likely keep their stores closed indefinitely until the epidemic of Coronavirus is gone, which is when? No one knows. 

The Chinese manufacturing of Apple products will probably be halted too. If not starting next Monday, then soon enough - next week most likely. 

Hong Kong scientists are suspecting that over 75,000 people may already be infected in the Hubei province alone. The Coronavirus is now spread to 31 provinces in mainland China. Forty-five medical staff contracted the virus just in one hospital. 

The city of Hianghang orders its 7.4 million residents to stay home and not venture outside. 

Nineteen mainland Chinese provinces and municipalities  ordered all their businesses to remain closed until February 10, 2020, the earliest. These provinces and municipalities accounted for 80% of GDP and 90% of exports last year. What will the impact to the Chinese economic growth and the availability of Chinese made products will these closures have? 

Apple keeps very little stock on hand, as it has its products manufactured on demand. As we heard just a couple weeks ago, Apple was asking its manufacturing partners to boost iPhone production by 10%. The existing iPhone stock will dry out quickly if the manufacturing is halted.

What percentage of the Chinese are brave enough to buy an iPhone online and have it delivered to their home? Will it come with a virus in the box? How can one be sure? 

What percentage of the Chinese are willing to spend $1000 or more on an iPhone when food prices are rising daily and there is no paycheck coming in the foreseeable future? 

Are you brave enough to buy an iPhone, a Mac, Airpods, iPad, etc. in your own country? Are you 100% sure that when you remove the shrink wrap from the box, you are not releasing Coronavirus inside your home? The fear of unknown will probably keep 50% of people from buying anything Apple until after the epidemic is gone or even months past then. When is this again? 

This is the time of reckoning for AAPL. The bulls are taking the profits and running for the mountains. Since the rise to above $300 was meteoric in nature, the fall will be just as spectacular. There’s way too much money on the table to ride this AAPL rollercoaster all the way down.  
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 57 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sirozha said:
    Apple has announced that its shutting down all its stores in mainland China until February 9. That’s for now. They will most likely keep their stores closed indefinitely until the epidemic of Coronavirus is gone, which is when? No one knows. 

The Chinese manufacturing of Apple products will probably be halted too. If not starting next Monday, then soon enough - next week most likely. 

Hong Kong scientists are suspecting that over 75,000 people may already be infected in the Hubei province alone. The Coronavirus is now spread to 31 provinces in mainland China. Forty-five medical staff contracted the virus just in one hospital. 

The city of Hianghang orders its 7.4 million residents to stay home and not venture outside. 

Nineteen mainland Chinese provinces and municipalities  ordered all their businesses to remain closed until February 10, 2020, the earliest. These provinces and municipalities accounted for 80% of GDP and 90% of exports last year. What will the impact to the Chinese economic growth and the availability of Chinese made products will these closures have? 

Apple keeps very little stock on hand, as it has its products manufactured on demand. As we heard just a couple weeks ago, Apple was asking its manufacturing partners to boost iPhone production by 10%. The existing iPhone stock will dry out quickly if the manufacturing is halted.

What percentage of the Chinese are brave enough to buy an iPhone online and have it delivered to their home? Will it come with a virus in the box? How can one be sure? 

What percentage of the Chinese are willing to spend $1000 or more on an iPhone when food prices are rising daily and there is no paycheck coming in the foreseeable future? 

Are you brave enough to buy an iPhone, a Mac, Airpods, iPad, etc. in your own country? Are you 100% sure that when you remove the shrink wrap from the box, you are not releasing Coronavirus inside your home? The fear of unknown will probably keep 50% of people from buying anything Apple until after the epidemic is gone or even months past then. When is this again? 

This is the time of reckoning for AAPL. The bulls are taking the profits and running for the mountains. Since the rise to above $300 was meteoric in nature, the fall will be just as spectacular. There’s way too much money on the table to ride this AAPL rollercoaster all the way down.  
    It's really creepy how excited you are that a virus is causing worldwide devastation. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    This is the last time this will be said.

The use of the verb "earns" is appropriate in this context. While we appreciate the difference between "earnings" and "earns" -- there is a difference between what the two words mean. If you don't like it, take it up with AP and the english language.

This avenue of conversation on these forums has concluded.