tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    I realize that no one is following this thread, but I call bullshit on those purporting that the WHO was allowed into China to help with COVID-19;

Here follows that details;

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-02-18/coronavirus-threat-means-who-should-demand-more-help-from-china

"In late January, the World Health Organization began offering to send an international team of experts to China to observe and help with the outbreak of a novel coronavirus. On Monday, that team of experts was finally allowed to start its investigations. The Chinese government, however, will not let them to visit epidemic-stricken Hubei province or the city of Wuhan, the likely source of the virus now called Covid-19 and the site of the largest quarantine in history. According to one prominent Communist Party-controlled news outlet, Hubei is simply too busy and “cannot spare the time and people to receive the experts.”

For weeks, the World Health Organization and its director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, have been under fire for a tepid and slow-moving response to the deadly new virus — an approach that appears overly deferential to China’s political demands. Some of the criticism is unfair. The WHO cannot organize a response to a global health emergency if the country at its center won’t cooperate. But recent history shows that too much political deference in a health emergency is a global risk in its own right. The WHO is uniquely positioned to demand more from China. It needs to do so now."

Yes, absolutely, China is attempting to hide what is happening in the Hubei province from the WHO, so why the fuck should we trust the data that they have been posting to the world?

You don’t trust the World Health Organization. Got it.

Go be afraid of corona, SARS, Ebola being pandemics that will wipe you out in whatever American city you live in and go be mad at China for its resources and South Korea for winning Best Picture because Trump said so, but please don’t pass your unfounded fears on others.
    It isn't about "unfounded fear". It is about trust, and the Chinese keep hiding the truth. Why should we trust them on anything?

Well of course, we shouldn't.

I'll keep posting, and you can content yourself with sticking your head up your ass.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-now-a-tremendous-public-health-threat-cdc

"Federal officials announced Friday that their tally of 2019 novel coronavirus cases in the United States had increased to 34, with more infections expected sooner than later, even as questions lingered about how efforts at containing the deadly illness had fallen short so far.

The jump came after the State Department repatriated 18 infected U.S. citizens from aboard a cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japan. Three other people confirmed to have the disease have been repatriated, in addition to 13 other American travelers who fell ill upon returning from abroad, as The New York Times reported. "

“This new virus represents a tremendous public health threat,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said on a call with reporters."

https://www.cdc.gov/ncird/index.html

That's the CDC talking, so go fuck yourself for calling me out, you piece of shit.

1) Some sure is sensitive for being called out for fear mongering and spreading propaganda.

2) What does Messonnier's comment have to do with anything? It does "represent a tremendous public health risk", which is why it's being dealt with by professionals. They're trying to keep it from being a "tremendous public health risk" to you. She's not saying you're already as good as dead. Can you really not understand the difference or the harm that you and Sirozha are causing. I just hope it's simply your irrationality at work and not conscious effort to cause harm by inciting panic and fear.

Almost all of my comments have been links to the effect that China hasn't been trustworthy with its data to date, which is absolutely true, or didn't respond quickly enough, also which is factually true. It is also factually true that the public health threat still remains, including in other parts of the world, and COVID-19 transmissibility is still not fully understood. That certainly doesn't imply that I am "fear mongering" because low information people such as George and yourself, it appears, are too lazy to read the nuance and details of the links.

I have not stated anything at all of what Sirozha has stated. Perhaps you just decided to lump us together, again because you are too fucking lazy to read the details.

https://www.vox.com/world/2020/2/23/21149540/coronavirus-outbreak-covid-19-south-korea-threat-level

"By raising the threat level, the president has given the government the ability to take drastic measures: officials can now restrict public transportation, flights to and from South Korea, bar tourists, lock down cities, and close schools. None of these measures have been implemented as of yet, but Moon said he will not shy away from doing whatever it takes to contain the Covid-19. 

“We are faced with a watershed moment in the case of the coronavirus,” the president said, according to The New York Times. “The coming few days will be a critical time for us. This will be a momentous time when the central government, local governments, and the whole people must wage an all-out, concerted response to the problem.”

"To be clear, a pandemic refers to how widely a disease spreads, not how many people die from the virus. It is still unclear how deadly the Covid-19 virus is, although a report from the China’s CDC found it to be less lethal than SARS. Nonetheless, the sheer number of people that need treatment could overwhelm any country’s health care system, leading to a shortage of hospital beds or medical equipment for those suffering from other maladies. Although the US only has 35 confirmed Covid-19 cases so far, South Korea, Italy, and Iran are case examples of why it is necessary to stay prepared."

Does that sound like "fear mongering", or is it just a government providing the proper response to an impending threat?

Admit it.   You bought into the right wing fear mongering and hatred of China -- and you use Google search looking for anything to back that nonsense up with so called "facts".   What plays into your favor is that the world is not black and white but grey -- so you can always find a little piece of black in there if you look for it and ignore any white you see.

The truth is that China has done FAR better containing it than the U.S. ever could have.  And, you better hope that it does not start over here, because we simply could not do what China has been doing and it will run wild in this country if it gets here.
    Admit it. You are an apologist for China because "Trump". You are too illiterate to be able to consume news, so you attempt to mock people that do. 

You must be a member of the "No Nothing" party, as you are certainly not a member of the Democratic Party. 

More to the point, you presume to understand Public Health Policy because you assume that Authoritarianism make it easy to get people to do what they want. I actually posted a link to the exact meme that shows it to be false, any you ignore that.

I'm embarrassed for you, acting like a child. 

I'll repost so that you can rub your poo in it;

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/02/18/diseases-like-covid-19-are-deadlier-in-non-democracies

Data rules, not your mindless posts.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0221-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

These are adults taking about public health, not you talking out of your ass.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/23/1921362/-The-window-to-avoid-a-global-pandemic-is-narrowing-as-COVID-19-grows-in-Italy-South-Korea-Iran

Dailykos is a Liberal/Progressive blog supporting Democrats, so certainly not likely to offer "right wing rants"

LOL...  So you are comparing known diseases being treated by well developed countries with fully developed health care systems to poor countries with poor healthcare systems -- and equating that to trying to contain a brand new highly infectious ilness.

Yes, data rules -- as long as it's the right data pertinent to the point and all of the data.  But, that's what the right wing does:  They are masters of cherry picking data, using false equivalencies and only showing one side of the coin - and then shouting FACTS! 
    See lower legend.

GDP per person at purchasing power parity means that the chart is corrected for income.

It's evident that you cannot comprehend the chart. Illiteracy at work.

LOL.... The trouble is that I DID -- and called you on it!
    So you can't actually see that each data point is "Deaths from epidemics by GDP, by type of government" as the chart is titled?

Did you not understand that "Coronavirus in China 2020" in the chart is a data point?

You are illiterate.

I already pointed out the fallacy of your argument.  Spinning it further won't change that.

Spinning it?

LOL!

Come back when you can comprehend a chart, or anything, for that matter.
    TMay, don't waste any more time with him. He is apparently not going to do anything more than call "right wing" whatever when he can't disprove something you posted. That's all he's done for several posts now. 

@GeorgeBMac ;will offer no evidence of his own, no links even to something he knows of outside of using Google. He is either unwilling to offer us a view to whatever sources he has so we can read for ourselves and decide, or has no sources at all. One or the other. Ignore him until he can do something more. Otherwise you are doing all the difficult and time investing work with research and it takes him only a minute to say "it's just spin" or "right-wing fear-mongering", or "Bush lied" or 'LOL" with no thinking required.  

Note the pattern and don't waste your efforts until he decides to post more honestly.  That's my advice. 
  • Reply 122 of 124
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    I realize that no one is following this thread, but I call bullshit on those purporting that the WHO was allowed into China to help with COVID-19;

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-02-18/coronavirus-threat-means-who-should-demand-more-help-from-china

"In late January, the World Health Organization began offering to send an international team of experts to China to observe and help with the outbreak of a novel coronavirus. On Monday, that team of experts was finally allowed to start its investigations. The Chinese government, however, will not let them to visit epidemic-stricken Hubei province or the city of Wuhan, the likely source of the virus now called Covid-19 and the site of the largest quarantine in history. According to one prominent Communist Party-controlled news outlet, Hubei is simply too busy and “cannot spare the time and people to receive the experts.”

For weeks, the World Health Organization and its director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, have been under fire for a tepid and slow-moving response to the deadly new virus — an approach that appears overly deferential to China’s political demands. Some of the criticism is unfair. The WHO cannot organize a response to a global health emergency if the country at its center won’t cooperate. But recent history shows that too much political deference in a health emergency is a global risk in its own right. The WHO is uniquely positioned to demand more from China. It needs to do so now."

Yes, absolutely, China is attempting to hide what is happening in the Hubei province from the WHO, so why the fuck should we trust the data that they have been posting to the world?

Go be afraid of corona, SARS, Ebola being pandemics that will wipe you out in whatever American city you live in and go be mad at China for its resources and South Korea for winning Best Picture because Trump said so, but please don’t pass your unfounded fears on others.
    It isn't about "unfounded fear". It is about trust, and the Chinese keep hiding the truth. Why should we trust them on anything?

I'll keep posting, and you can content yourself with sticking your head up your ass.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-now-a-tremendous-public-health-threat-cdc

"Federal officials announced Friday that their tally of 2019 novel coronavirus cases in the United States had increased to 34, with more infections expected sooner than later, even as questions lingered about how efforts at containing the deadly illness had fallen short so far.

The jump came after the State Department repatriated 18 infected U.S. citizens from aboard a cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japan. Three other people confirmed to have the disease have been repatriated, in addition to 13 other American travelers who fell ill upon returning from abroad, as The New York Times reported. "

“This new virus represents a tremendous public health threat,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said on a call with reporters."

That's the CDC talking, so go fuck yourself for calling me out, you piece of shit.

1) Some sure is sensitive for being called out for fear mongering and spreading propaganda.

2) What does Messonnier's comment have to do with anything? It does "represent a tremendous public health risk", which is why it's being dealt with by professionals. They're trying to keep it from being a "tremendous public health risk" to you. She's not saying you're already as good as dead. Can you really not understand the difference or the harm that you and Sirozha are causing. I just hope it's simply your irrationality at work and not conscious effort to cause harm by inciting panic and fear.

Almost all of my comments have been links to the effect that China hasn't been trustworthy with its data to date, which is absolutely true, or didn't respond quickly enough, also which is factually true. It is also factually true that the public health threat still remains, including in other parts of the world, and COVID-19 transmissibility is still not fully understood. That certainly doesn't imply that I am "fear mongering" because low information people such as George and yourself, it appears, are too lazy to read the nuance and details of the links.

I have not stated anything at all of what Sirozha has stated. Perhaps you just decided to lump us together, again because you are too fucking lazy to read the details.

https://www.vox.com/world/2020/2/23/21149540/coronavirus-outbreak-covid-19-south-korea-threat-level

"By raising the threat level, the president has given the government the ability to take drastic measures: officials can now restrict public transportation, flights to and from South Korea, bar tourists, lock down cities, and close schools. None of these measures have been implemented as of yet, but Moon said he will not shy away from doing whatever it takes to contain the Covid-19. 

“We are faced with a watershed moment in the case of the coronavirus,” the president said, according to The New York Times. “The coming few days will be a critical time for us. This will be a momentous time when the central government, local governments, and the whole people must wage an all-out, concerted response to the problem.”

"To be clear, a pandemic refers to how widely a disease spreads, not how many people die from the virus. It is still unclear how deadly the Covid-19 virus is, although a report from the China’s CDC found it to be less lethal than SARS. Nonetheless, the sheer number of people that need treatment could overwhelm any country’s health care system, leading to a shortage of hospital beds or medical equipment for those suffering from other maladies. Although the US only has 35 confirmed Covid-19 cases so far, South Korea, Italy, and Iran are case examples of why it is necessary to stay prepared."

Does that sound like "fear mongering", or is it just a government providing the proper response to an impending threat?

Admit it.   You bought into the right wing fear mongering and hatred of China -- and you use Google search looking for anything to back that nonsense up with so called "facts".   What plays into your favor is that the world is not black and white but grey -- so you can always find a little piece of black in there if you look for it and ignore any white you see.

The truth is that China has done FAR better containing it than the U.S. ever could have.  And, you better hope that it does not start over here, because we simply could not do what China has been doing and it will run wild in this country if it gets here.
    Admit it. You are an apologist for China because "Trump". You are too illiterate to be able to consume news, so you attempt to mock people that do. 

You must be a member of the "No Nothing" party, as you are certainly not a member of the Democratic Party. 

More to the point, you presume to understand Public Health Policy because you assume that Authoritarianism make it easy to get people to do what they want. I actually posted a link to the exact meme that shows it to be false, any you ignore that.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/02/18/diseases-like-covid-19-are-deadlier-in-non-democracies

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/23/1921362/-The-window-to-avoid-a-global-pandemic-is-narrowing-as-COVID-19-grows-in-Italy-South-Korea-Iran

Dailykos is a Liberal/Progressive blog supporting Democrats, so certainly not likely to offer "right wing rants"

LOL...  So you are comparing known diseases being treated by well developed countries with fully developed health care systems to poor countries with poor healthcare systems -- and equating that to trying to contain a brand new highly infectious ilness.

Yes, data rules -- as long as it's the right data pertinent to the point and all of the data.  But, that's what the right wing does:  They are masters of cherry picking data, using false equivalencies and only showing one side of the coin - and then shouting FACTS! 
    See lower legend.

GDP per person at purchasing power parity means that the chart is corrected for income.

So you can't actually see that each data point is "Deaths from epidemics by GDP, by type of government" as the chart is titled?

Did you not understand that "Coronavirus in China 2020" in the chart is a data point?

You are illiterate.

I already pointed out the fallacy of your argument.  Spinning it further won't change that.

Spinning it?

LOL!

TMay, don't waste any more time with him. He is apparently not going to do anything more than call "right wing" whatever when he can't disprove something you posted. That's all he's done for several posts now. 

@GeorgeBMac ;will offer no evidence of his own, no links even to something he knows of outside of using Google. He is either unwilling to offer us a view to whatever sources he has so we can read for ourselves and decide, or has no sources at all. One or the other. Ignore him until he can do something more. Otherwise you are doing all the difficult and time investing work with research and it takes him only a minute to say "it's just spin" or "right-wing fear-mongering", or "Bush lied" or 'LOL" with no thinking required.  

Note the pattern and don't waste your efforts until he decides to post more honestly.  That's my advice. 
    I will just block him.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    tmay said:

See lower legend.

You are illiterate.

Spinning it?

LOL!

I will just block him.

Please!   But then all you'll ever hear is right wing propaganda without any actual truth to balance it out.  That would be a shame for you.
  • Reply 124 of 124
    GeorgeBMac said:

... right wing propaganda ...
    Keep fucking that chicken.
    tmay