Unannounced Ecobee camera to support Apple HomeKit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
New FCC filings have revealed that Ecobee's as-of-yet unannounced smart camera will be equipped with support for Apple's HomeKit.

We've heard rumors of Ecobee's intention to release a new smart camera, adding to its existing lineup of smart thermostat and switches, but new documents found by Zatz Not Funny on Friday have seemingly confirmed support for HomeKit.

Ecobee is already a staunch HomeKit supporter with Apple's smart home platform already baked in to its current products. Alongside Apple's HomeKit, Ecobee's new smart home camera will also work with Amazon's Alexa.

At the moment, while it seems HomeKit is all but certain, thanks to the FFC's filings showing the HomeKit pairing sticker, the extent of HomeKit support is still unknown. It could simply support streaming video through HomeKit or it could include HomeKit Secure Video.

HomeKit Secure Video would allow you to store the camera's recordings in iCloud. Recently, we've seen more cameras adopt HomeKit Secure video including an update to the Netatmo Smart Indoor Camera and the upcoming Eve Cam.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have 3 Ecobee 3 thermostats all connected via HomeKit. Of all of my HomeKit devices they are the one that show "No Response" the most. Based on that I would be hesitant to use one of their cameras. While it isn't a huge deal when a thermostat is unresponsive it could be more of a problem if a camera was.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have one Ecobee 3, and it has rarely shown "No Response". The remote sensor always shows a response, including occupied/temp. I have 5 Wemo devices, and they almost always show "No Response" (I would say about 50% of the time one of my 5 Wemo's show no response)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Any recommendations for HomeKit compatible home security cams? I’ve been holding out to purchase a couple, as it doesn’t seem there are many options right now. 
    Anyones hands on experience/recommendation would be most welcomed!
    The options I can find are either Logitech’s Circle 2, or also the Logitech Circle 2 lol.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Any recommendations for HomeKit compatible home security cams? I’ve been holding out to purchase a couple, as it doesn’t seem there are many options right now. 
    The options I can find are either Logitech’s Circle 2, or also the Logitech Circle 2 lol.
    This was just posted the other day, it’s a Netatmo camera. They also have an outdoor camera but I’m not sure if it’s HomeKit compatible yet. 

edited February 2020 Panamaniak
  • Reply 5 of 9

Check out Eufy. I don’t have first hand experience with them, but I’ve also been looking into HomeKit Camera solutions, and they look as good as any. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    Check out Eufy. I don’t have first hand experience with them, but I’ve also been looking into HomeKit Camera solutions, and they look as good as any. 

• Reply 7 of 9
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    This was just posted the other day, it’s a Netatmo camera. They also have an outdoor camera but I’m not sure if it’s HomeKit compatible yet. 

I have one of their outdoor cameras. Unlike my Logitech Circle internal ones it has yet to say not responding. Also two people can view it at the same time which is not possible with the Circles.
    Panamaniak
  • Reply 8 of 9

lukei said:
    I have one of their outdoor cameras. Unlike my Logitech Circle internal ones it has yet to say not responding. Also two people can view it at the same time which is not possible with the Circles.
    oh wow, have not seen those, I missed the post first time around. Thx guys checking it out now, this may do the trick
  • Reply 9 of 9
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    I have 3 Ecobee 3 thermostats all connected via HomeKit. Of all of my HomeKit devices they are the one that show "No Response" the most. Based on that I would be hesitant to use one of their cameras. While it isn't a huge deal when a thermostat is unresponsive it could be more of a problem if a camera was.
    First thing I would check is to make sure they have the latest firmware.  Call the company if you have troubles, they could force an update.