2020 iPad Pro models feature 6GB of RAM, U1 chip across the board

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2020
Code discovered in the gold master of iOS 13.4 reveals each of Apple's new iPad Pro models, released on Wednesday, boast 6GB of RAM and the company's U1 Ultra Wideband chip, the latter of which could be used to locate rumored "AirTag" device trackers.

iPad Pro

Code spelunking performed by 9to5Mac shows all versions of the new 2020 iPad Pro get identical 6GB allotments of system memory, 2GB more than all but the highest tier 1TB configuration of 2018's iPad Pro.

The additional RAM will assist iPad Pro's new A12Z processor chew through critical tasks and should allow more apps or browser tabs to be open simultaneously in the background.

Not much is known about Apple's A12Z processor beyond its 64-bit architecture and 8-core graphics capabilities, but Apple claims the chip outpaces most laptop PCs available today.

Beyond memory, iOS 13.4 code reveals the fourth-generation iPad Pro integrates Apple's U1 Ultra Wideband chip. The company fails to mention U1 support in documentation released today as part of the hardware announcement, but it can be assumed that the tablet will include features similar to iPhone 11.

Introduced in 2019 with iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, the U1 chip uses UWB technology for spatial awareness as it applies to other similarly equipped devices. For example, iPhone 11 can precisely determine its location relative to another nearby iPhone 11 or, as revealed today, 2020 iPad Pro.

Currently, the U1 is limited to prioritizing AirDrop recipients (accomplished by pointing an iPhone 11 to another iPhone 11 or 11 Pro), but that is expected to change in the near future. Apple is rumored to release a Tile-like tracker that is a shoo-in for UWB integration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Well that's good to hear since I already ordered mine! :D The only thing that my 9.7 inch iPad Pro needed really was more RAM. Part of me is bummed about the lack of A13, but if I remember from the presentation the A13 was really geared more toward power efficiency for phones they didn't get a massive performance boost out of it. I'm just really hoping this doesn't turn out to be some BS update where they release another one in the fall with an A14X that blows this one out of the water.
    davenbala1234rezwitsaderutterdavgregjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Well that's good to hear since I already ordered mine! :D The only thing that my 9.7 inch iPad Pro needed really was more RAM. Part of me is bummed about the lack of A13, but if I remember from the presentation the A13 was really geared more toward power efficiency for phones they didn't get a massive performance boost out of it. I'm just really hoping this doesn't turn out to be some BS update where they release another one in the fall with an A14X that blows this one out of the water.
    I think there is a good chance they will do just that. I am hanging on to my iPad Pro 10.5 inch until the 5G version ships.
    netmage
  • Reply 3 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wonder how much the keyboard weighs. It seems like it should be pretty hefty to be able to hold the iPad like that.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think there is a good chance they will do just that. I am hanging on to my iPad Pro 10.5 inch until the 5G version ships.
    Do what? Release another iPad Pro in the fall? Nah, fat chance.

There might be a release of a regular iPad and/or iPad Air sometime later this year, but it wont be the Pro.
    gregoriusmStrangeDayschasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    Totally gonna get that new keyboard. One question though, what’s happened to the Magic Connector on the iPad? Has it been deprecated, eliminated? Does the new keyboard get power or power the iPad? I see the USB-C port, so I’m guessing no connection to the iPad. Bummer.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    PShimiPShimi Posts: 38member
    I too am wondering about this. Despite the time between updates of the iPad Pro - I had expected the update in Sept/Oct this year.
    Could it be that Apple rushed out an update now for all those who suddenly have to work from home? Maybe (but unlikely).
    It is suspect that the keyboard will not be ready till May though. As if they were not originally planning to release it that early.

Thoughts of the iPad3 come to mind. I remember the iPad 2 came out, and it felt like an improved though warmed over iPad 1. I knew the retina display would be coming, so gave it a pass. Eventually it did - in the form of the ipad 3 - with it's massive back and larger battery. It was the iPad everyone had been waiting for. Six months later, along came the iPad 4 - thinner, lighter, faster.

I would not be surprised if a new version of the iPad pro comes out later this year with a better CPU.

On another topic - how do you all feel about the price? iPad Pro 12.9 + 512GB upgrade + wifi/cell + keyboard + pencil = ¥220,000 (about $2060).
    MacBook Air 2020 + i7 1.2Ghz 10th Gen + 512GB + 16GB = ¥170,000 (about $1600)
    Interestingly, Mac Book Pro 13 2019 i7 1.7GHz 8th gen + 512GB + 16GB = ¥230,000 (about $2150)

I remember when the iPad was significantly cheaper than a laptop. It's no longer the case (for iPad Pro).
    It makes it a difficult proposition to sink that much money into a machine that has the limitations of the iPad (and believe me, I do want one - I've been waiting for this update to buy the 12.9 model).
    The Air config above is likely exactly the same in terms of overall performance to the Mac Book Pro. The Air is not really 'lighter' (something like 80 grams) it is not really smaller (the volume is about the same); the screen is almost as good as the pro, the keyboard is better than the pro (I'm sure a Pro update is in the works), better battery life, though you lose the touchbar. I wonder if $550 is really worth the difference to most people?

(For those that wonder about the CPU difference):
    The Air i7 1.2GHz option is likely the i7-10510Y (though the turbo boost speed 4.5 single core, 3.2 all cores does not match Apple's 3.8 spec - it's not clear what Apple's spec really means - single core, or all cores, or two cores?)
    The Pro i7 1.7Ghz option is likely the i7-8557U (passmark 10470)
    Can't find any benchmarks on the i7-10510Y even though it came out in Aug 2019... odd. The memory bus speed of the Air i7 1.2GHz is lower than the pros, but the generation is 10 vs 8, so the overall performance is likely not too different that it would make any meaningful difference in day to day use (I have no stats to back this up, because I can't find any, it's just a hunch).

edited March 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 29
    AniMill said:
    Totally gonna get that new keyboard. One question though, what’s happened to the Magic Connector on the iPad? Has it been deprecated, eliminated? Does the new keyboard get power or power the iPad? I see the USB-C port, so I’m guessing no connection to the iPad. Bummer.
    I think the connector is unchanged. The keyboard for the iPad Pro 2020 will work on the iPad pro 2018 - so the connector must be exactly the same for that to be possible.
    netmagechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    The odds of Apple releasing a new iPad Pro in 6 months are zero. 
    tmaygregoriusmStrangeDayschasm
  • Reply 9 of 29
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how much the keyboard weighs. It seems like it should be pretty hefty to be able to hold the iPad like that.

I am pretty curious about it too. The ad shows a person using it on their lap, so it won't be as flimsy as the Surface Pro keyboards.

It looks like an engineering marvel.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    outpaces most laptop PCs“ sounds like Apple is starting to prepare consumers for ARM-based Macs as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    PShimi said:
    I too am wondering about this. Despite the time between updates of the iPad Pro - I had expected the update in Sept/Oct this year.
    Could it be that Apple rushed out an update now for all those who suddenly have to work from home? Maybe (but unlikely).
    It is suspect that the keyboard will not be ready till May though. As if they were not originally planning to release it that early.

Thoughts of the iPad3 come to mind. I remember the iPad 2 came out, and it felt like an improved though warmed over iPad 1. I knew the retina display would be coming, so gave it a pass. Eventually it did - in the form of the ipad 3 - with it's massive back and larger battery. It was the iPad everyone had been waiting for. Six months later, along came the iPad 4 - thinner, lighter, faster.

I would not be surprised if a new version of the iPad pro comes out later this year with a better CPU.

On another topic - how do you all feel about the price? iPad Pro 12.9 + 512GB upgrade + wifi/cell + keyboard + pencil = ¥220,000 (about $2060).
    Interestingly, Mac Book Pro 13 2019 i7 1.7GHz 8th gen + 512GB + 16GB = ¥230,000 (about $2150)

I remember when the iPad was significantly cheaper than a laptop. It's no longer the case (for iPad Pro).
    It makes it a difficult proposition to sink that much money into a machine that has the limitations of the iPad (and believe me, I do want one - I've been waiting for this update to buy the 12.9 model).
    The Air config above is likely exactly the same in terms of overall performance to the Mac Book Pro. The Air is not really 'lighter' (something like 80 grams) it is not really smaller (the volume is about the same); the screen is almost as good as the pro, the keyboard is better than the pro (I'm sure a Pro update is in the works), better battery life, though you lose the touchbar. I wonder if $550 is really worth the difference to most people?

The Air i7 1.2GHz option is likely the i7-10510Y (though the turbo boost speed 4.5 single core, 3.2 all cores does not match Apple's 3.8 spec - it's not clear what Apple's spec really means - single core, or all cores, or two cores?)
    Can't find any benchmarks on the i7-10510Y even though it came out in Aug 2019... odd. The memory bus speed of the Air i7 1.2GHz is lower than the pros, but the generation is 10 vs 8, so the overall performance is likely not too different that it would make any meaningful difference in day to day use (I have no stats to back this up, because I can't find any, it's just a hunch).

Right now the best value is the Air or an older model Pro.  If I buy another iPad it’s going to be a $500 device without the bells and whistles. I don’t know who would buy a top of the line iPad over the Air or Pro.  Maybe there is a business case to be made for the purchase, but I don’t consider it a consumer device any longer. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 12 of 29
    PShimi said:

Right now the best value is the Air or an older model Pro.  If I buy another iPad it’s going to be a $500 device without the bells and whistles. I don’t know who would buy a top of the line iPad over the Air or Pro.  Maybe there is a business case to be made for the purchase, but I don’t consider it a consumer device any longer. 
    Which is exactly the point. Apple seem to be trying to shift people from buying a traditional laptop, to buying an iPad and accessories. I have no doubt the iPad is cheaper to manufacture, and extra accessories all add profit to Apple's bottom line. Considering this, the iPad is quite simply, over priced. The Air is definitely the better buy, by a long shot. It just isn't as cool and hip as all Apple's ads try to tell you the iPad is.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    AniMill said:

The keyboard takes power from the iPad, the USB-C port is pass through to charge the iPad, when connected you have two USB-C ports on the iPad, one to charge and one for something else.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    apple ][ said:
    Not heavy at all. The iPad itself is very light, so it wouldn’t take much weight for the base to hold it down. It’s all physics.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    So what kind of trade in will Apple offer for the (recently) current iPad Pro?

• Reply 16 of 29
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    The amount of RAM is the most important factor in future proofing iPads. The only technical difference between iPad 6 and iPad 7 is the extra gig of Ram in iPad 7. The CPU’s have evolved to an almost over engineered state. RAM will always be a factor.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 29
    PShimi said:
    Which is exactly the point. Apple seem to be trying to shift people from buying a traditional laptop, to buying an iPad and accessories. I have no doubt the iPad is cheaper to manufacture, and extra accessories all add profit to Apple's bottom line. Considering this, the iPad is quite simply, over priced. The Air is definitely the better buy, by a long shot. It just isn't as cool and hip as all Apple's ads try to tell you the iPad is.
    I am confused by what you are suggesting. You are correlating the iPad with the cost of an iPad Pro, which is disingenuous. If you are simply wanting a consumption device, then the iPad or maybe the iPad Air is for you. These are both substantially cheaper than the Pro. For those that want to supplant their current laptop and iPad workflow with one that is just an iPad, like what I have done, then the iPad Pro is the choice. I could either buy a 64 GB iPad Air and the best MacBook Air for 2188 CDN plus tax OR I could buy a 256 GB 12.9 iPad Pro with the pencil and magic keyboard for 2000 CDN plus tax. For me I would rather have just one device for all my needs, then two; saving me 200 dollars. This may not be for everyone, but it is definitely not over priced.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    AniMill said:
    The Smart Connector moved to the back of the newer iPad Pros. If you look at https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/ you can see where the Smart Connector is located in the images at the top of the page.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I wish they would have allowed the iPad to fold down  flat on its back on the keyboard.. ( one would not have to detach the iPad to have it in pure tablet form.
    From what i see .. the only options now are either open in keyboard mode.. or closed with screen covered.

(But maybe its possible  and the animation just does not show that aspect.? )
  • Reply 20 of 29
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member

PShimi said:
    I am confused by what you are suggesting. You are correlating the iPad with the cost of an iPad Pro, which is disingenuous. If you are simply wanting a consumption device, then the iPad or maybe the iPad Air is for you. These are both substantially cheaper than the Pro. For those that want to supplant their current laptop and iPad workflow with one that is just an iPad, like what I have done, then the iPad Pro is the choice. I could either buy a 64 GB iPad Air and the best MacBook Air for 2188 CDN plus tax OR I could buy a 256 GB 12.9 iPad Pro with the pencil and magic keyboard for 2000 CDN plus tax. For me I would rather have just one device for all my needs, then two; saving me 200 dollars. This may not be for everyone, but it is definitely not over priced.
    Ipad pro 12.9 is my main go to computer now... and has been for  a while .. id say good 2 years and more (including  the previous  version)....I rarely touch my imac anymore .
    The ipad satisfies most of my graphics editing/creation. audio and video editing/creation projects.. and of course all the usual consumption and communication needs.

I don't like it for  typing intensive jobs..... i think attaching a bulky keyboard to the tablet defeats its main purpose...  .. maybe the new keyboard will make it better? 

No it is  not a full blow macpro power house... but its powerful enough and there is real great software out there.
    add the directness of the interface and the pencil.... its AWESOME !  

watto_cobra