Apple's anticompetitive behavior has 'gotten worse,' Tile tells congressional panel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Tile, a manufacturer of location tracking hardware and software, on Wednesday told the House Judiciary Committee that Apple continues to participate in anticompetitive behavior despite promising not to do so as part of a resolution reached earlier this year.

Tile

In January, Tile and three other companies met with the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee's antitrust committee to hash out concerns relating to tech giants Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google.

During the panel, Tile VP and General Counsel Kirsten Daru said the company enjoyed an amicable relationship with Apple until 2019. After years of collaboration, the relationship began to sour when reports indicated Apple was readying a tracking device that would compete directly with Tile's offerings.

"Unfortunately, since that hearing, Apple's anti-competitive behaviors have gotten worse, not better," Tile said in a statement to the committee posted online on Wednesday, reports Reuters.

In June of 2019, Apple stopped selling Tile products in its retail outlets. The company later poached a Tile engineer, though it is unclear if the person was brought on to develop a competing product. More recently, Apple locked out third-party access to iPhone 11's U1 UWB radios, technology thought to play an integral role in Apple's rumored tracking system.

Perhaps most threatening to Tile's business was Apple's decision to lock down background processes in iOS 13, specifically geolocation services that Tile's iOS app relies on to function. With iOS 13, Apple replaced the "Always Allow" location services option with "Allow Once," prompting users for authorization each time an app requests device location information.

For products like Tile, which regularly ping iPhone's built-in positioning hardware, background processing is essential to delivering a seamless user experience. Without constant access, certain Tile features like Smart Alerts are rendered useless.

Following Tile's testimony in January, Apple issued a statement suggesting certain trusted developers would be able to re-integrate the "Always Allow" option at a later date.

"We're currently working with developers interested in enabling the Always Allow' functionality to enable that feature at the time of setup in a future software update," Apple said.

That capability was not present in the latest iOS 13.4 update released last week. Tile notes Apple's own apps, including Find My, enable background location tracking without user authorization.

"Despite Apple's multiple promises to reinstate Always Allow' background permissions option for third party apps' geolocation services, Apple has not yet done so," Tile said on Wednesday.

The House Judiciary Committee investigation is one of a handful of government probes into tech companies and their business operations. The U.S. Justice Department, the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general are looking into claims of monopolization, price fixing, anticompetitive practices and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Oh, go fuc* yourself Tile.  You have been in business for a decade and still are niche

Focus on securing “some” competitive advantage
    cornchipmdriftmeyerBeatsStrangeDaysrosse59bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Not sure Apple is targeting Tile, it’s just unfortunate fall out from Apple improving the security of the platform and developing new features. Tile need to remember they are a guest on Apple’s platform. Apple is not stopping them from going to other platforms which would be anticompetitive. Apple should be free to change their platform and develop new products even if they compete with other companies that choose to build their businesses on top of Apple’s products. This is always a risk when you build on top of or use someone else’s work.
    Tile has hardly evolved or diversified as a business since coming on to the scene. The smartphone makers were always in a much better position to deliver a more seamless and integrated experience simply because they created the platform. Tile should have either evolved into other products or looked to be acquired by Google or Apple.
    cornchipjony0dewmegeorgie01ravnorodomjbdragonStrangeDaysbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 56
    I sympathize with Tile.  The optics are bad.  But I plan to buy Apple Trackers as soon as they come out because I am sure they will be better than everyone else’s including the Tiles I own.  
    bloggerblogjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Apple is not stopping them from going to other platforms which would be anticompetitive. 

FTFY ;p

Whoops there’s only One other platform, on which nobody wants to spend any money! 

don't get me wrong though; I do appreciate your point. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    Just go to the Settings app and “Always Allow” will be inside the location settings of every app that requests for location. Not that hard.
    slevit1jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 56
    slevit1slevit1 Posts: 15member
    sjworld said:
    Just go to the Settings app and “Always Allow” will be inside the location settings of every app that requests for location. Not that hard.
    Exactly what I was going to post - the functionality exists today, and as far as I know, was never removed; it was just removed as a default choice. 
    jbdragoncaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    It really gets tiring to see iOS developers complain about Apple, seeming to show no awareness that if it weren’t for Apple’s App Store many of them wouldn’t even have jobs in the first place (no resources to start a company and to sell their work). We so quickly become entitled, like we deserve the good things we have, even when they come from someone else.
    slevit1Beatsradarthekatwilliamlondonpujones1StrangeDaysbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    Genuine question: how much innovation is there in Tile? Isn't it just reading the bluetooth IDs of nearby devices and updating the stats on a GPS map? And are the tiles just dumb terminals that do nothing except consume power and emit a static bluetooth signal?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Innovate Tile!!!  Cry me a River.

As soon as Apple releases the tag I will switch to it. Not because Apple is anti-competitive but because I love their products and the integration that comes with them. My Tiles help when I need them but they have not given me any more functionality except for changing the battery and getting a little louder. They are rarely used. 

Apple spent millions to developed the UWB chip as part of their roadmap not for Tile. I’m sure they will share the capability once there are standardized safeguards for us users from those wanting to access it to seek more of our data. 

I’ll pass my Tiles to friends who own Android devices and who definitely would never buy a Tile. So you’re still in the game Tile. 

Stop whining though. It’s not cute. If you inconvenience the user then you won’t get any sales. You sabotage Apple then you sabotage me. Make a better product and we will buy it. We have options though. Yours or Apple’s or some other party. May the best products win. Let’s keep it that way.
    Beatstmaybshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    i am really surprised at what companies feel is their right to access a proprietary mobile device. i mean, can tile tell ford to open up their systems to allow more third party accessibility? why should apple be forced to let everyone into their system? would it be nice? sure, there can be some cool stuff out there. But it is apple's phone and software, why should they have to open it to all?

i understand the optics here, but tile could make a phone, right? no one is stopping them from out innovating apple.
    BeatswilliamlondonStrangeDaysbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    The App Store is hugely anti-competitive. 
    A 30% cut is ridiculous in 2020, and their ability to push their own software and reject others is also a clear example of that behavior, including the fact you can’t change your default email client, music software, navigation software, etc. Being a ‘third party’ always is second to ‘first party’ Apple. 
    OferBeatswilliamlondonchemengin1mariowinco
  • Reply 12 of 56
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    I'll give Tile the benefit of the doubt: Apple really should have established a date or release by which the "Allow Always" option for similar type products should be re-implemented, or at least incorporated a dialog asking users if they want to "Allow Always" in the case of some functions (like navigation programs) more easily than users having to do it manually (not a big deal for nerds like us, a HUGE deal for non-nerds).

Beyond that, it seems obvious that Tile are using obfuscation (I'm sure they didn't mention the manual option) and FUD to paint Apple in a bad light to cover their own failings. I'm sure Apple will bear that in mind going forward. There's a fine line between "Sherlocking" and "entitlement" by some developers, it seems to me.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    A 30% cut is ridiculous in 2020, and their ability to push their own software and reject others is also a clear example of that behavior, including the fact you can’t change your default email client, music software, navigation software, etc. Being a ‘third party’ always is second to ‘first party’ Apple. 
    Try self publishing on Amazon. You have a choice of two deals. 30%/70% or 70%/30%. Take it or leave it. Many writers use the 70% to Amazon 30% to them. Looking at that, is Apple's 30% all that bad?

BeatsuraharawilliamlondonRayz2016pujones1commentzillabshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    They want full access to Apples developments? WTF?!

No one is entitled to anyone's technology.

What does 2020 have to do with anything? Are you one of those who say "it's [current year], people can do what they want!!" and update the year every year with the same message?

georgie01 said:

It really gets tiring to see iOS developers complain about Apple, seeming to show no awareness that if it weren’t for Apple’s App Store many of them wouldn’t even have jobs in the first place (no resources to start a company and to sell their work). We so quickly become entitled, like we deserve the good things we have, even when they come from someone else.

THIS.
    uraharaStrangeDaysbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    How do you monopolise your own product? When I choose to shop at Walmart they have a monopoly over what is sold in there store or on their web platform. If you don't like it, then Android has a huge free market of crap to enjoy without restriction. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    It's interesting to read the choice of words being used by companies such as Tile. "Locked out" seems popular because it falsely implies the idea that one originally had access to things such as the U1 chip, when no such public API has ever been available - they're busy creating a narrative that Apple is shutting them out to steal their business.

While I can sympathise that some of their features relied on Always On location awareness, the core function of their product doesn't use this and the part which does has been largely ineffective before the change - why? Because Tile simply don't have enough users to begin with, and the technology it's based on provided such little accuracy that unless you were tagging an object the size of a car, then you had little chance of tracking it anyway.

Also, I find it pretty outrageous when a company demands access to part of a system for "competitive" reasons. Make no mistake, Tile use this information to run a live network of knowing where every single user of their products and their tagged-items are world wide - with zero oversight whatsoever. It was obscene when Uber did it, and it's obscene that Tile do it.
    uraharatmayRayz2016pujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:

What does 2020 have to do with anything? Are you one of those who say "it's [current year], people can do what they want!!" and update the year every year with the same message?

georgie01 said:

THIS.
    And if it weren't for third party developers creating apps, the iPhone quite possibly wouldn't have nearly been as successful.  It flows both ways.  If Apple want the benefits of a rich app ecosystem then they should play fair with developers.  If Apple really are ripping off Tile's idea and using their platform owner position as leverage over a developer in their ecosystem, then where's your criticism of their entitlement? 

Apple didn't build their technology in a sealed off  bunker, they stood on the shoulders of other giants.  That's fine, but now they're a giant, and it seem liike all too often they're flicking off and stomping on the newcomers who are trying to stand on their shoulders just a little bit.
    williamlondonavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

georgie01 said:

THIS.
    And if it weren't for third party developers creating apps, the iPhone quite possibly wouldn't have nearly been as successful.  It flows both ways.  If Apple want the benefits of a rich app ecosystem then they should play fair with developers.  If Apple really are ripping off Tile's idea and using their platform owner position as leverage over a developer in their ecosystem, then where's your criticism of their entitlement? 

Apple didn't build their technology in a sealed off  bunker, they stood on the shoulders of other giants.  That's fine, but now they're a giant, and it seem liike all too often they're flicking off and stomping on the newcomers who are trying to stand on their shoulders just a little bit.

No. That argument only holds water if the iPhone became popular while Apple did not charge the 30% fee for apps. The fact is, that 30% has always been in place and both the iPhone and App Store became hugely successful despite that. Apple has and does play fair with developers, but they cannot play fair with EVERYONE. There will be some that lose out due to the natural evolution of the platform, which has to compete with other platforms.

Furthermore, it is Apple's hardware, and iOS only runs on Apple's hardware and always has. Developers know this. And they know Apple will always have some kind of advantage because they create the whole widget.
    williamlondonRayz2016StrangeDaysbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mjtomlin said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

georgie01 said:

THIS.

No. That argument only holds water if the iPhone became popular while Apple did not charge the 30% fee for apps. The fact is, that 30% has always been in place and both the iPhone and App Store became hugely successful despite that. Apple has and does play fair with developers, but they cannot play fair with EVERYONE. There will be some that lose out due to the natural evolution of the platform, which has to compete with other platforms.

Furthermore, it is Apple's hardware, and iOS only runs on Apple's hardware and always has. Developers know this. And they know Apple will always have some kind of advantage because they create the whole widget.
    I don't really know what the 30% cut is supposed to do with this, the OP that brought that up appears to just be ranting, and I don't agree with his point.

The problem here is that Apple are providing both a product and a platform.  The two not particularly compatible and create a conflict of interest.  I think the greater value of iOS is as a platform, I use non-Apple apps far more than I use Apple apps, so I wish Apple would stop pulling this shit.
    edited April 2020 williamlondonavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 56
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

georgie01 said:

THIS.

I don't really know what the 30% cut is supposed to do with this, the OP that brought that up appears to just be ranting, and I don't agree with his point.

The problem here is that Apple are providing both a product and a platform.  The two not particularly compatible and create a conflict of interest.  I think the greater value of iOS is as a platform, I use non-Apple apps far more than I use Apple apps, so I wish Apple would stop pulling this shit.
    Based on your reasoning, Apple offering even the default weather app is a ‘conflict’

The app ecosystem is thriving, the vast majority of downloads are free, consumers LOVE it, and Apple has less than 15% market share.  Last, iOS 14 will allow users to set non-Apple services as defaults

So please stop with the drama and trying to create a mythical problem 

williamlondonStrangeDaysrevenantwatto_cobra