Everything known about Apple's AirTags

Posted:
in General Discussion
There has been a lot said about Apple's forthcoming AirTags in the last six months, including what we'll be able to do with them and how we'll do it once they're in our hands.

Mockup. Apple's AirTags will be shinier -- until they've been in our pocket for months, anyway.
Mockup. Apple's AirTags will be shinier -- until they've been in our pocket for months, anyway.

Even before Apple's usually painstaking secrecy slipped up and showed us the name AirTags in a support video, it's been clear that they are coming -- what may be less obvious is what they will be best used for.

Apple's AirTags will:
  • Track devices for you

• Provide "Find My"-style services for anything

• Pinpoint items to within inches

• Ultimately work with AR

• Leverage Apple's U1 chip for directional finding

• Potentially alert you when you leave an item behind
AirTags will be built into Apple's existing Find My technology, and they will improve on it in two extremely important ways. They're also very much like the existing devices sold by Tile, so even before a single AirTag has been seen in public, we have a startling good idea of what they will be able to do.

A mockup by YouTube channel ZoneOfTech
A mockup by YouTube channel ZoneOfTech

So far Find Me has only worked for locating Apple devices, such as your lost AirPods or AirPods Pro. The new system will extend that to any device you can affix an AirTag to, and it will also improve accuracy.

When a device is not nearby, Find My is able to show you on a map where they are, but sometimes it is only showing you were they were recently. It will show you where the device is right now if it's powered up and online, otherwise it will show you where it was the last time it was both of those things.

This isn't as accurate as you might hope. AppleInsider has seen AirPods Pro, for instance, reporting their location as around a quarter of a mile away from where they really are. In our testing so far, that appears to be tied to Wi-Fi and cellular signal strength. The AirPods Pro were being used at the place Find My reports, and that may be the latest spot where it had sufficient signal to report its location data.

Apple has already improved this by developing its U1 Ultra Wideband (UWB) processor, which makes it possible to a href="https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/05/apples-use-of-location-services-data-tied-to-uwb-management-federal-guidelines">precisely pinpoint the location of items.

UWB is a low-power, short-range radio system that's like Bluetooth in how it can communicate with nearby devices. Unlike Bluetooth, however, it sends pulses at high data rate. It transmits more data than Bluetooth, plus it has better range-finding and more precise location detection.

Apple's U1 implementation of UWB is included in the iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. So far Apple has only said that it is used to facilitate AirDrop. It's used so that if two such phones are pointed at each other, the recipient's phone goes to the top of the list on the sender's AirDrop.

AirTags are not just for Apple devices

AirTags go further because they're not about tracking a device, they are a device that you then track. An AirTag will be a separate, very small hardware device that can be kept with, or affixed, to anywhere.

Add one to your iPhone, keep one in your bag, or leave one in your car. Apple's system will track the AirTags rather than what you've put them on, so you can put them on anything. That said, a thief can just take them off anything, too, so it's not foolproof.

Screen grabbed before Apple noticed and took it away again. Here's the support video's reference to AirTags
Screen grabbed before Apple noticed and took it away again. Here's the support video's reference to AirTags

When it's just that you've misplaced your item with the AirTags, you will be able to use an app to make the AirTags make a sound, just as Tile devices do already. You may also be able to have the app show when you are getting closer to the item.

Equally, you may be informed as you are going further away, as in when you have accidentally left something behind and are leaving. Tile provides the ability for their equivalent to the AirTags to send a notification to your phone, alerting you to how you've forgotten to bring something. Tile provides that as an extra, subscription service.

An appealing but more distant possibility at launch, though, is that the AirTags will be able to exploit Augmented Reality features. It may be that you could look around a room with your iPhone, and the AirTags nearby would show up on your screen.

Finding items far away with AirTags

What's particularly useful about AirTags is that you could use them to find your item wherever it is in the world. If you leave something behind at your hotel, you'll be able to find that out and then direct staff to exactly where it is.

AirTags will be able to do this by leveraging Apple's ecosystem. You may be a hundred miles away from where you dropped your bag, but you can bet someone else with an iPhone is near to it. It's similar to how Apple Maps can give you accurate, regularly updated reports on traffic conditions.

Apple is relying on the fact that so incredibly many people have iPhones and they are all capable of reporting their location data, plus how fast or slowly they're moving. A patent regarding the use of crowdsourced location data for a kind of tagging was filed by Apple as long ago as 2016.

Detail from a patent regarding how a device such as AirTags could work remotely
Detail from a patent regarding how a device such as AirTags could work remotely

With AirTags, this massive collection of Apple devices means that you can tap to search for your lost item, and the nearest iPhone will report back where it is. It does so without that iPhone owner ever knowing, just as you won't know if your iPhone has saved someone's day.

Security issues

All of this technology exists today with Tile, but once Apple has brought out AirTags, the world will notice. It won't be long before there's a TV detective show -- or more likely, something on Apple TV+ -- that has someone being tailed because an AirTag has been slipped into their coat.

That will introduce a whole new meaning to taking security precautions, but as far as technology security is concerned, Air Tags are going to be private. You can expect that Apple will specify that it can prevent other people detecting and using your AirTags, although we don't yet know how.

There's little else that we don't know about the AirTags, except perhaps for why they have taken so long to be launched. When they do arrive, though, these little devices are going to extraordinarily useful for the security conscious -- and the scatterbrains who are forever losing things. We know who we are.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.
bluefire1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    Are there any comments from Tile? I can't imagine this is going to be lawsuit free. 
  • Reply 2 of 34
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Question: how are they powered? Do they require batteries? Or is it like RFID?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    netrox said:
    Batteries are likely. We don't know about that aspect of it yet.
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I use two Tile devices to locate my car keys and wallet, and although very satisfied with them, if the upcoming AirTags go above and beyond, I’ll definitely be switching.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,544member
    I wonder if they use the H-series chip in AirPods Pro, and if they'll be inductively charged. Hopefully they'll be able to use a Watch charger for a few minutes to get months of charging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Air Tag will be great in my cars when I have to park at the airports giant size parking lots and in city parking ramps.  If Air Tags are around $200 each, will buy 5 of them.  Save me alot of frustration.
    edited April 2020 jdiamondwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Air Tag will be great in my cars when I have to park at the airports giant size parking lots and in city parking ramps.  If Air Tags are around $200 each, will buy 5 of them.  Save me alot of frustration.
    $200 each seems excessive. I would expect them to be no more than 1/10th that price per unit.

You know your iPhone already tags your car's location in Maps, right?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207227
    minicoffeestompyGG1chabigalanhmacguichemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    bbh said:
    Are there any comments from Tile? I can't imagine this is going to be lawsuit free. 
    Ideas aren't protected by patent law, only implementations. If Apple implements it differently than Tile, there is no issue. This is how we have an entire world full of various similar products competing with each other.
    dewmepscooter63chabigtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Will I be able to use them to tell if my fridge door or windows are open?
    SnickersMagoostompy
  • Reply 10 of 34
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    bbh said:
    Yup, just read this article https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/04/01/apples-anticompetitive-behavior-has-gotten-worse-tile-tells-congressional-panel
  • Reply 11 of 34
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    bbh said:

Why would a company releasing a competing product merit a lawsuit?  Do you know something that the rest of the planet doesn’t?   Does Apple have a contract with Tile that says it's not allowed to sell competing devices? 

Illuminate us. 
  • Reply 12 of 34
    You can save yourself $200 and just open the Maps app next time you're at the airport. 
    StrangeDayschabigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34

netrox said:
    RFID devices userbatteries or power from the reader.  There would be no reader here.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    bbh said:
    Why?  Tile doesn't have a monopoly on GPS tags.  As long as Apple (or anyone else) doesn't violate Tile's patents, it's fair game.  It's always been that way.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm looking forward to Apple's implantation.  This would make robbery identification so much easier.  We've been having quite a few robberies in my neighborhood from thieves that break into garages.  If we can include tags in high-ticket items, it would make it so much easier to locate and get the police involve.

I liked Tile's original concept, but one would have to download the app in order for it to work.  That's why I never bought one.  It's of no use to me if someone has to download their app in order for it to work.  If Apple bakes this into iOS and any iPhone out in the world with bluetooth turned on would could natively (and silently) locate a tag it would change the game.

Sucks to be Tile.  They backed themselves into a corner. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    the article has no mention at all of GPS.
    i assume it does, but the article doesnt mention GPS at all.

the article should be updated to include that these tags do of course have GPS, in addition to the more locally useful U1 chip.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    azamino said:
    the article has no mention at all of GPS.
    i assume it does, but the article doesnt mention GPS at all.

the article should be updated to include that these tags do of course have GPS, in addition to the more locally useful U1 chip.
    Why do you believe AirTags will have GPS radios and antennas? I'm expecting them to be Bluetooth-based trackers.
    chabigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    They would be great for baggage and suitcases.  Keep the airlines honest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I hope they are wirelessly chargeable (as opposed to having to replace batteries).

And if the batteries are depleted, it would be good to be able to send them back to Apple for replacement & recycling with a considerable discount.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    sflocal said:
    [..]

I liked Tile's original concept, but one would have to download the app in order for it to work.  That's why I never bought one.  It's of no use to me if someone has to download their app in order for it to work.  If Apple bakes this into iOS and any iPhone out in the world with bluetooth turned on would could natively (and silently) locate a tag it would change the game.

Sucks to be Tile.  They backed themselves into a corner. 
    Apple is the only one who can integrate it in iCloud seamlessly. Very anti-competitive behavior (with the benefit of seamless integration of you’re bought into the Apple ecosystem).