Apple releases iOS 13.4.1 & iPadOS 13.4.1 with FaceTime bug fix

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2020
At the same time that it is actively testing iOS 13.4.5, Apple has released iOS 13.4.1 and iPadOS 13.4.1, with minor fixes to the previous release on March 24.

Apple made the update to iOS 13.4 available on Tuesday afternoon at its normal release time. The update includes a fix for FaceTime calls made on a iOS 13.4 device not connecting to an iOS 9 or macOS El Capitan device, and other small bug fixes.

Other fixes include rectification of a bug with the Settings app where choosing Bluetooth from the quick actions menu on the Home screen would fail, and fixing an issue on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (4th generation) and 11-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) where the flashlight may not turn on after tapping the Flashlight button in Control Center or on the Lock screen.

Users can manually update their iPhone and iPad by accessing the Settings app then selecting General, then Software Update, followed by the option to install the update if it is made available to them.

Users with automatic updates enabled will be advised when the update has been downloaded to their device, with a notification informing it is ready to be installed.

Apple's iOS 13.4 brought iCloud folder sharing, full-fledged support for cursor and Bluetooth input peripherals like trackpads, and new Memoji stickers. Other changes include fixes to Mail, better VPN user interface notifications, and some changes to Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Hopefully it also fixes the sharing bug. Don’t know about anyone else, but I couldn’t share anything from any app. About 95% of the time an app would Just freeze whenever the share button was tapped.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I've been having problems (iOS 13.4) with AirPlay. My phone will be streaming music to my Yamaha "MusicCast BAR 400" sound bar (with latest firmware upgrade) just fine, then suddenly it will stop playing; sometimes the connection will also drop, other times it will stay. This is over my small WiFi network with no signal problems. I've also had problems where if I press << to make the track restart, the phone shows the song playing but nothing comes out of the sound bar. And sometimes the volume up/down doesn't work, or seems to get queued up; if I press it a couple of times "just to make sure" then suddenly it will process all of the changes all at once. Has anyone else had this or other AirPlay problems?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    cornchip said:
    Hopefully it also fixes the sharing bug. Don’t know about anyone else, but I couldn’t share anything from any app. About 95% of the time an app would Just freeze whenever the share button was tapped.
    Which apps cause this? Are there any apps that don't?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wasn't even aware of the Facetime bug, but I encountered it a few days ago.

A friend of mine facetimed me multiple times, and I was unable to answer the call no matter which one of my devices I tried to answer with. I was wondering what the hell was going on. No matter what I tried, it didn't work, no iPhone, no iPad no Mac, no whatever.

It now makes sense, because I know that my friend was using an old device with an old version of iOS on it, I think it was OS 9.

I'm glad an update is out already, because that was an annoying bug.

mbenz1962
  • Reply 5 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    cornchip said:
    Which apps cause this? Are there any apps that don't?
    Almost all apps I can think of. I can’t think of one that seems like it wasn’t happening in. Notes, safari, LinkedIn are the big ones I share from a lot, but as I recall there are others. Reddit & Quora too probably. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    cornchip said:
    Most probably an app that provides an extension to the Share sheet is faulty. Remove all the apps one by one until you see the Share sheet is working again.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I've been having problems (iOS 13.4) with AirPlay. My phone will be streaming music to my Yamaha "MusicCast BAR 400" sound bar (with latest firmware upgrade) just fine, then suddenly it will stop playing; sometimes the connection will also drop, other times it will stay. This is over my small WiFi network with no signal problems. I've also had problems where if I press << to make the track restart, the phone shows the song playing but nothing comes out of the sound bar. And sometimes the volume up/down doesn't work, or seems to get queued up; if I press it a couple of times "just to make sure" then suddenly it will process all of the changes all at once. Has anyone else had this or other AirPlay problems?
    I’ve had crap like this with my Mazda 3’s “Mazda Connect” entertainment system forever and it seems to get slightly worse each revision (I’m not yet on iOS 13, and now even less likely to “upgrade”, thanks to iOS 13 breaking Safari iCloud synch with High Sierra).

Bluetooth audio connections are an endless source of irritation.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

cornchip said:
    Most probably an app that provides an extension to the Share sheet is faulty. Remove all the apps one by one until you see the Share sheet is working again.
    Are they not sandboxed plugins?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    They need to send out an update for macOS as well. ‘Cause the latest one has turn my computer into a mess. Endless restarting and long hours online with Apple support to wipe disks and several reinstalls. It was a chore! Now after I thought it was behind us same issue all over again. Not happy at all. Can we please get a stable update Apple please?
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I ran into (and reported) this while running beta versions of Catalina. My mother has an old Mac that can’t be updated. The bug stopped us from Screen Sharing and conducting FaceTime calls

I hope Apple patches the Screen Sharing issue. It’s very hard to help an older user. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    My biggest problem with 13.4 has been losing everything in my HomeKit setup on my iPhone 7. The only way I’ve found to get it back is to fire up my old iPhone 5s, with 12.4.5 on it, which has the HomeKit setup on it, leave it in long enough for the iPhone 7 to somehow “re-learn” the setup, and then I turn the 5s off. 

It’s happened about 5 or 6 times since I’ve had 13.4 on. I’ll see how 13.4.1 helps, if at all. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    This update didn't fix my S2 Watch not updating to 6.2.  Ran the iOS 13.4 update then tried to update my Watch, but no joy. Was on with Apple Support, and that was a joke.

The only thing I haven't tried is restoring from backup on iTunes. I'm not sure I want jump through those hoops. But it may be the only option. It'll be awhile before 13.4.5 is out an that may not fix it either. The 6.2 update doesn't appear to do a thing for the S2 line, but I'm tired of seeing the 6.2 Update Available every time I put my Watch on. I did report this to Apple Feedback but I expected to hear nothing, and my expectations were met.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macgui said:
    This update didn't fix my S2 Watch not updating to 6.2.  Ran the iOS 13.4 update then tried to update my Watch, but no joy. Was on with Apple Support, and that was a joke.

The only thing I haven't tried is restoring from backup on iTunes. I'm not sure I want jump through those hoops. But it may be the only option. It'll be awhile before 13.4.5 is out an that may not fix it either. The 6.2 update doesn't appear to do a thing for the S2 line, but I'm tired of seeing the 6.2 Update Available every time I put my Watch on. I did report this to Apple Feedback but I expected to hear nothing, and my expectations were met.
    Pretty sure I had to unpair and repair to get that update to work if I recall. Not a huge deal, just took a little while.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dysamoria said:
    I’ve had crap like this with my Mazda 3’s “Mazda Connect” entertainment system forever and it seems to get slightly worse each revision (I’m not yet on iOS 13, and now even less likely to “upgrade”, thanks to iOS 13 breaking Safari iCloud synch with High Sierra).

I notice that my 2019 16" MacBook Pro w/ macOS 10.15.2 works just fine with the Yamaha, it's only my iPhone that has the problem.

Upgrading to 13.4.1 right now. Fingers crossed! (But expectations low)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Downloaded it. It’s buggy
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dtb200dtb200 Posts: 47member
    dysamoria said:

I notice that my 2019 16" MacBook Pro w/ macOS 10.15.2 works just fine with the Yamaha, it's only my iPhone that has the problem.

Upgrading to 13.4.1 right now. Fingers crossed! (But expectations low)
    I have had issues with my AirPods and a Samsung sound bar losing connectivity with my MBA since Catalina (I think it was then, a few months at least) and occasionally with my iPhone. All is playing well then connection drops and audio starts playing from MBA speakers instead. I'd assumed it was a bug that would be swiftly sorted but it does not seem to have been.