Apple doubling down on bendable designs for MacBook, MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    W H Y ?

How would this improve a MacBook?
    I can see it as a foldable screen on iPhone/iPad.   But a MacBook?     Would it enable the screen to hold any angle -- even flip over backwards like a Lenovo Yoga? 

It is doubtful it would add any functionality or durability.   The only reason I can see is it might be cheaper than a quality hinge.

Hopefully this is not the hottest product update Apple has in its pipeline.

dysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 28
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I don’t think you are thinking outside of the box enough lol. Imagine a MacBook Pro where one entire side is essentially screen, like a giant ipad.  By its foldable, so it takes the shape of a laptop, but it can be paired with a keyboard become a giant monitor. Like the iPad or iMac 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    tshapi said:
    I don’t think you are thinking outside of the box enough lol. Imagine a MacBook Pro where one entire side is essentially screen, like a giant ipad.  By its foldable, so it takes the shape of a laptop, but it can be paired with a keyboard become a giant monitor. Like the iPad or iMac 
    Exactly. Something like the ThinkPad X1 Fold (H2 2020):

• Reply 24 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Bendable computers. I am a total skeptic. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cornchip said:
    I wonder how many times can it bend...

Forever. 

I have a bendable ruler that operates on this principle. It’s over 20 years old. This is a very clever idea. 
    Can you post a picture or a link? I'm very curious.
    It’s in a box somewhere, but I’ll try to dig it out, yeah! If not maybe I can find a link to it or similar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    I’d still like to see Apple make a touchscreen device (like an iPad) that could then be docked and perform like a full computer (so a merging of an iPad and a MacBook Pro).
    They've been pretty adamant they're not going to do that.
    Yes they have, but their behavior continues to show otherwise. The constant ARM Mac rumors don’t help either.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    This is as bad of a design as Microsoft’s curved flexi-hinge laptop, because there is no way for the screen to fold flat against the base of the computer.  You would always have a gap at the hinge.  Just from an aesthetic point of view, the look that it creates isn’t good, and it of course presents issues with objects that could make their way into the opening and damage the screen, keyboard or trackpad.

I understand that companies have to keep innovating, even if things like this will never see the light of day, but I bugs me that they would even put something like this out there in the first place.
    Not to worry. These are patent drawings, which support specific claims in the patent. They have almost nothing to do with product design.

That being said, I don't see any major advantage here.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    dysamoria said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ofer said:
    I’d still like to see Apple make a touchscreen device (like an iPad) that could then be docked and perform like a full computer (so a merging of an iPad and a MacBook Pro).
    They've been pretty adamant they're not going to do that.
    Yes they have, but their behavior continues to show otherwise. The constant ARM Mac rumors don’t help either.
    The type of processor has zero to do with whether or not it's a touchscreen device.
    jdb8167