Apple's over-ear headphones may be called 'AirPods Studio' & retail for $349

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple's next release in the AirPods family could be its long-rumored over-ear headphones, a leaker claims, with the larger personal audio accessory tipped to have the name "AirPods Studio."

Beats Solo Pro headphones
Beats Solo Pro headphones

Years of rumors have suggested Apple was working on an extension to its audio lineup from its in-ear offerings, such as the AirPods range. Some have even pointed to a possible launch this summer, but a tweet claims to have uncovered the name.

The Saturday tweet by serial leaker Jon Prosser forecasts Apple as "sticking with the 'AirPods' branding for their new over-ear headphones." The audio accessories will apparently be called the "AirPods Studio," have the codename B515, and will cost $349 when it ships.

Looks like Apple is sticking with the "AirPods" branding for their new over-ear headphones.

AirPods Studio
Codename: B515
$349

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

Prosser previously discussed the codename and pricing in April, with the name being the new information. In the earlier tweet, Prosser said Apple was aiming for a WWDC 2020 launch for the headphones.

In terms of what to expect from the headphones, a 2018 note by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested the use of an "all-new" design for premium over-ear headphones, ones which would retain the wireless capabilities of AirPods. Given the pricing it is plausible for active noise cancellation from the AirPods Pro to be a feature in the AirPods Studio.

While Prosser is new to the Apple leaks scene, he has a long-standing one for other manufacturers. He has an excellent track record as it pertains to Apple products, and has accurately reported codenames and expected release dates of products sometimes weeks in advance.
MrUNIMOG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    It's a nice simple name and it fits very well. 
    canukstormMrUNIMOG
  • Reply 2 of 52
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    They should sell a Cochlear implant called AirPods nano
    right_said_fredbaconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 52
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wish they'd develop real studio headphones not just by name.
    SnickersMagoodysamoriawilliamlondonlkruppbaconstangjeffharrisminicoffeespheric
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Beats said:
    I wish they'd develop real studio headphones not just by name.
    They seem to have left room for the AirPods Studio Pro ;-) 
    dysamoriaBeatsright_said_fredbaconstangminicoffeeMrUNIMOGsphericdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I have a Beats branded audio system in my car and I’m not convinced Apple understands how any of this works. It’s literally the worst in-car audio system I’ve ever had. My previous car had Fender audio and it was fantastic. As things are now, I’d never consider another Apple audio system or even these AirPods headphones based on my negative experience with Beats.

And I hasten to add I have absolutely no reason to trash Apple without cause. Most of my personal wealth is tied to their stock.
    edited May 2020 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonlkruppechosonic
  • Reply 6 of 52
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I have a Beats branded audio system in my car and I’m not convinced Apple understands how any of this works. It’s literally the worst in-car audio system I’ve ever had. My previous car had Fender audio and it was fantastic. As things are now, I’d never consider another Apple audio system or even these AirPods headphones based on my negative experience with Beats.

And I hasten to add I have absolutely no reason to trash Apple without cause. Most of my personal wealth is tied to their stock.
    So are you thinking that Apple designed these vehicle systems and put them out under the Beats name. Beats made the car audio deal with Chrysler in 2011 Apple acquired Beats  in 2014. Chrysler LLC makes multiple brands of cars ( Chrysler, Dodge-Jeep RAM Fiat).  I may have missed some. 

My point is I highly doubt Apple bought Beats and then stepped in and redesigned these car audio systems and put them back out still with the Beats name. Leaving you with the garbage you are using today.  It doesn’t seem likely at least to me it doesn’t. I could be wrong?

I can personally attest to HomePod and AirPods Pro having quality sound designed by Apple, because I own and use both products daily. 

SnickersMagooGilliam_BatesronnStrangeDaysshark5150williamlondonlkruppcoolfactorchasmRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    "All-new" design sounds intriguing.  I wonder if the cups will be independent, and attach to your ears/head in an unusual way.

I hope they give some attention to on-device controls.  The Airpods are terrible, the Airpods Pro are just about adequate, and if they start dicking around with touch like the Siri Remote then I doubt I'd get much joy out of them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I bought the Beats Studio 3 last year, and I like it. For the price, considering it’s also doing noise cancellation, it’s comfy and sounds pretty good. $350 is fairly cheap when it comes to good phones. The only real improvement I’d like to see is the use of USB C for charging. This old socket isn’t very Apple-like.

other than a subtle improvement here and there, I can’t figure out what Apple will do with this that will make it better than the ones I have, or at least, different. They styling is fine, and the large number of color ways have everyone covered. I have black and red. Apple may only offer a small number of colors.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    blastdoor said:
    They should sell a Cochlear implant called AirPods nano
    Why not AirPods Coch then?
    hike1272
  • Reply 10 of 52
    crowley said:
    "All-new" design sounds intriguing.  I wonder if the cups will be independent, and attach to your ears/head in an unusual way.
    Actually, you’re halfway right. Just wait and see.
    MrUNIMOG
  • Reply 11 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Meh. I’m fine with my existing non-luxury-priced over-ear studio headphones. 
    williamlondonlkruppbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I figured. Thanks for confirming as much. But wait, if your wealth is tied up in stock... it’s not wealth unless you sell said stock, right?
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 13 of 52
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Personally I think Beats really suck.
    I think Apple buying Beats was a really bad move.
    I expect the opposite from new Apple headphones but we’ll see if they are as good as Sennheiser which is the same price bracket.
    SpamSandwichlkruppbaconstangjeffharris
  • Reply 14 of 52
    aderutter said:
    I expect the opposite from new Apple headphones but we’ll see if they are as good as Sennheiser which is the same price bracket.
    I agree Apple could’ve basically bought the Beats name and image and replaced their lousy engineering with a purchase or licensing agreement with a German audio company.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 15 of 52
    crowley said:

I hope they give some attention to on-device controls.  The Airpods are terrible, the Airpods Pro are just about adequate, and if they start dicking around with touch like the Siri Remote then I doubt I'd get much joy out of them.
    Here is where they might go if there is no headband:

BeatsMrUNIMOG
  • Reply 16 of 52
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

What does any of that have to do with Apple? Apple has never designed or manufactured car audio systems. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonronnRayz2016MrUNIMOG
  • Reply 17 of 52
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

aderutter said:
    If a billion in revenue a month is a bad move, then you must have incredibly high standards for what makes a good move. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonronnRayz2016MrUNIMOG
  • Reply 18 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    flydog said:

aderutter said:
    If a billion in revenue a month is a bad move, then you must have incredibly high standards for what makes a good move. 
    Yeah every time I read one of these "Buying Beats BAD!" comments, in my head I hear "I don't like rap!" which I think is what they mean. There is no question that Beats is a highly profitable business line for Apple, and brought in a streaming music app when Apple was getting into that, and many high-profile relationships. I think it paid off pretty well.
    edited May 2020 ronnMrUNIMOGspheric
  • Reply 19 of 52
    avon b7 said:
    crowley said:

That design is idiotic.
    BeatslkruppMrUNIMOG
  • Reply 20 of 52
    avon b7 said:
    crowley said:

That design is idiotic.
    I'm divided. Historically the headband has served different functional aspects, most of which can be substituted by different wireless options. 

Perhaps the one remaining use for the headband is the 'stability' it offers while wearing them. 

That said they do look somewhat weird on first sight. I saw that video when it was released. Crowley's comment brought it back to memory and I checked it out again prior to posting. They still seemed a little weird but perhaps less so. 

The proof will obviously be in how comfortable they are when compared to an 'overhead' and how compact they can get them. Obviously sound quality too. 

For me the jury is still out. 
    MrUNIMOG