124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Lots of positives in there at first glance.

If they all get the A14 and on SoC 5G, it will be a line-up that will suit many. 

Clearly, the regular iPhone 11 should drop to a very attractive price point too.

Good to see the pricing adjustments continue. 

Hope it's true. The design (iPhone 4 style) was also one of my favourites. 

Respectable reply since you didn't mention the irrelevant iPhoneys but you keep hammering 5G.

What happened with the doom predictions that Apple would fail if they didn't release a 5G iPhone in 2019? Apple is selling better than ever. Just goes to show 5G is only important to those who Huawei and Co. influence. No one else gives a damn right now and if iPhone 12 does not have 5G it will still sell and you guys will move the goal posts to "if iPhone doesn't have 5G this year..."

Firstly, this is a rumour. Therefore everything is conditional. 

Secondly, my opinion on Apple and 5G hasn't changed in the slightest. Why do you think it might have?

Apple without 5G this year would have been a disaster. The deal with QC was to resolve that problem (among others obviously). 

It is rumoured that Huawei is going to release a $400 5G phone in the next few days. Late last year they released the first 5G chipsets on the flagships. Early this year it landed on the mid range phones. By the time the iPhone 12 arrives, Huawei will have almost 20 5G phones on the market at most price points. In April last year they released the world's first 5G module for the automobile industry for testing. This year it is shipping and they have signed on a lot of vendors. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/05/09/millions-of-huawei-users-will-now-get-this-radical-new-android-alternative/

Can you imagine Apple without 5G this year and having to wait until late next year to ship it? Unthinkable, right? That's where QC pops into the situation. If you thought you could smell bacon not too long ago, it was Apple's and QC saved it. Read what you will into the deal but Apple absolutely needed 5G this year at the latest. 

Apple is not selling phones better than ever. That's why the SE just got launched. It is why pricing was adjusted last year and, according to this rumour, will be adjusted again this year AND another model might be added to the spread AND the price mix (including older phones) is looking not shabby at all. 

There would be no need to have done any of that if they were selling phones better than ever.

As for my 'respectable' comment, when have they ever not been respectable?

I call it as I see it. Can't be any simpler than that, LOL. 

If I think Apple is not being competitive, slacking, abusing pricing, making strategic mistakes etc I give my opinion and support it.

They are opinions. No more. No less. 

If I think a product or strategic move is a good move, I say so.

We are writing in a discussion forum, after all. 
    The fact that Huawei has 20 5G phone models out of hundreds of models, including the Honor brand, is irrelevant to Apple having four models with 5g to  be introduced this fall. Without iOS, Huawei can't compete with the iPhone, and frankly, will be worse off without Google Android.

Given that Apple will likely sell around 180 million iPhones in FY2021, and 70% of those will be 2020 models with 5G, Apple will have sold 125 million iPhones with second generation 5G  modems. Huawei only needs to have 5G in half of its units sold to match Apple's 5G units shipped, but at $400, as a midrange, Apple's model range still dominates with ASP, margins, and profits of Huawei's entire model range.

Not seeing how Huawei wins this contest that you imagine, and considering the breadth of Apple's ecosystem, Huawei isn't really doing all that well in the consumer electronics marketplace compared to Apple, with about half the revenue, and about 20% of the margins.

But what else does Huawei have going for it other than owning the Chinese smartphone market? They still trail Samsung in units, revenue and profits, and both trail Apple in revenue and profits.

But hey, it is a discussion forum, after all, and while these are just my opinions, they are well supported by facts and anecdotal evidence.

Oh, and here's another document about Huawei and its control by the Chinese Government, this time from a Swiss Researcher;

https://www.ui.se/globalassets/butiken/ui-paper/2020/ui-paper-no.-5-2020.pdf

"EU member states should adopt a unitary interpretation of the toolbox. A complete ban on Huawei from the rollout of European 5G might not be necessary, but the EU and its member states should strive for a significant reduction in Huawei’s market share." 

You totally missed his point and, as usual, instead launched your usual attack on irrelevancies stemming from your prejudices.
    The other Chinatown guy.
    spock1234
  • Reply 62 of 70
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

If they all get the A14 and on SoC 5G, it will be a line-up that will suit many. 

Clearly, the regular iPhone 11 should drop to a very attractive price point too.

Respectable reply since you didn't mention the irrelevant iPhoneys but you keep hammering 5G.

What happened with the doom predictions that Apple would fail if they didn't release a 5G iPhone in 2019? Apple is selling better than ever. Just goes to show 5G is only important to those who Huawei and Co. influence. No one else gives a damn right now and if iPhone 12 does not have 5G it will still sell and you guys will move the goal posts to "if iPhone doesn't have 5G this year..."

Secondly, my opinion on Apple and 5G hasn't changed in the slightest. Why do you think it might have?

Apple without 5G this year would have been a disaster. The deal with QC was to resolve that problem (among others obviously). 

It is rumoured that Huawei is going to release a $400 5G phone in the next few days. Late last year they released the first 5G chipsets on the flagships. Early this year it landed on the mid range phones. By the time the iPhone 12 arrives, Huawei will have almost 20 5G phones on the market at most price points. In April last year they released the world's first 5G module for the automobile industry for testing. This year it is shipping and they have signed on a lot of vendors. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/05/09/millions-of-huawei-users-will-now-get-this-radical-new-android-alternative/

Can you imagine Apple without 5G this year and having to wait until late next year to ship it? Unthinkable, right? That's where QC pops into the situation. If you thought you could smell bacon not too long ago, it was Apple's and QC saved it. Read what you will into the deal but Apple absolutely needed 5G this year at the latest. 

Apple is not selling phones better than ever. That's why the SE just got launched. It is why pricing was adjusted last year and, according to this rumour, will be adjusted again this year AND another model might be added to the spread AND the price mix (including older phones) is looking not shabby at all. 

There would be no need to have done any of that if they were selling phones better than ever.

If I think Apple is not being competitive, slacking, abusing pricing, making strategic mistakes etc I give my opinion and support it.

The fact that Huawei has 20 5G phone models out of hundreds of models, including the Honor brand, is irrelevant to Apple having four models with 5g to  be introduced this fall. Without iOS, Huawei can't compete with the iPhone, and frankly, will be worse off without Google Android.

Given that Apple will likely sell around 180 million iPhones in FY2021, and 70% of those will be 2020 models with 5G, Apple will have sold 125 million iPhones with second generation 5G  modems. Huawei only needs to have 5G in half of its units sold to match Apple's 5G units shipped, but at $400, as a midrange, Apple's model range still dominates with ASP, margins, and profits of Huawei's entire model range.

Not seeing how Huawei wins this contest that you imagine, and considering the breadth of Apple's ecosystem, Huawei isn't really doing all that well in the consumer electronics marketplace compared to Apple, with about half the revenue, and about 20% of the margins.

But what else does Huawei have going for it other than owning the Chinese smartphone market? They still trail Samsung in units, revenue and profits, and both trail Apple in revenue and profits.

But hey, it is a discussion forum, after all, and while these are just my opinions, they are well supported by facts and anecdotal evidence.

Oh, and here's another document about Huawei and its control by the Chinese Government, this time from a Swiss Researcher;

"EU member states should adopt a unitary interpretation of the toolbox. A complete ban on Huawei from the rollout of European 5G might not be necessary, but the EU and its member states should strive for a significant reduction in Huawei’s market share." 

You totally missed his point and, as usual, instead launched your usual attack on irrelevancies stemming from your prejudices.
    My point that Apple isn't late to the party? 

Or my point that Huawei isn't going to see the 5G buildout that you and AvonB7 want?

As for my prejudices, I'm for fair play. Huawei should try it sometime.

That isn't relevant to what I said or what the OP was talking about (although Apple is actually late to the party) . Why bring it up, then?

Perhaps instead of missing the point you are simply and wilfully ignoring it?

As for fair play, I nearly choked on my curry! 

None of Trump's actions against Huawei fall under the banner of 'fair play' but you support them nonetheless. 

Still no evidence to back up the claims. Not a shred in fact, but there is no need to pump that sorry story into this thread too.
    Half a dozen US intelligence agencies came to the conclusions, and they aren't going to publish their evidence. Just like when they concluded Russia interfered in our elections and we take their word for it. If we believe them when they say Russia interfered in order to help Trump get elected, I see no reason why you will not accept that they have reason to believe a brutal, murderous, authoritarian regime is not to be trusted with the comms of the free world. Hmmm
    patchythepiratespock1234
  • Reply 63 of 70
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,276member
    Looks like a spec bump with an extra camera and Lidar. Hard pass.
    You bothered to create an account to post twice that you're not buying a new iPhone because you have last year's model? Nobody cares.
    You cared enough to go through my posts and reply. Oops...

No, you misunderstood. No one cares if you buy a new phone or not. We are, however, concerned about new members spamming different threads with the same shit.
    shark5150macguispock1234
  • Reply 64 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

My point that Apple isn't late to the party? 

Or my point that Huawei isn't going to see the 5G buildout that you and AvonB7 want?

As for my prejudices, I'm for fair play. Huawei should try it sometime.

That isn't relevant to what I said or what the OP was talking about (although Apple is actually late to the party) . Why bring it up, then?

Perhaps instead of missing the point you are simply and wilfully ignoring it?

As for fair play, I nearly choked on my curry! 

None of Trump's actions against Huawei fall under the banner of 'fair play' but you support them nonetheless. 

Still no evidence to back up the claims. Not a shred in fact, but there is no need to pump that sorry story into this thread too.
    Half a dozen US intelligence agencies came to the conclusions, and they aren't going to publish their evidence. Just like when they concluded Russia interfered in our elections and we take their word for it. If we believe them when they say Russia interfered in order to help Trump get elected, I see no reason why you will not accept that they have reason to believe a brutal, murderous, authoritarian regime is not to be trusted with the comms of the free world. Hmmm
    You have reached a new level of absurdity.

The U.S doesn't have any evidence. We are not even limiting this to public evidence. It could be shared with allies privately. 

No. There is none. Zippo. Nada. 

Germany asked to see it. The UK asked to see it. 

When pressed, the U.S didn't say "we have it but we don't want to show you it". No. They said evidence wasn't necessary! 

Strange, right?

An action that would literally kill the company overnight. The ultimate kill pill and they don't use it. 

Now, should we be surprised? Of course not. The rest of the world saw this a long time ago
    and simply ignored the U.S.

After all, these are the same people who are capable of going out before the world and gleefully claiming that there is a lot of evidence showing that COVID-19 was laboratory created, and almost in the same breath, admit that their best scientists have actually said the exact opposite.

All with a straight face! 

Ok. I will apply your same logic here and join the absurdity club. I just hope the absynth is free. 

If the U.S says the COVID-19 was laboratory created when its top experts say there is nothing to support that (in fact, the evidence points in the other direction), I will assume that everything that passes the lips of these people are outright lies.

Surely, you can understand your own logic. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 65 of 70
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Interesting how this apparent leaker is stating the complete opposite of another supposedly prolific leaker, who states the 5.4” model will have a Samsung display whilst the cheaper 6.1” model with have a display made by BOE and LG.
    I’d say it’s nothing but pure guess work by these people at this stage.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,338member
    StuG said:
    Hang on - the current iPhone 11 is 6.1" and is $699. The iPhone 12 is only cheaper at the smaller size (ie $649 for 5.4", but for the same size it is £50 MORE (ie $749 for 6.1"). Or am I missing something?

You missed the change to OLED screens on all phones starting this year.  That’s the price difference. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 67 of 70
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    Are this worthless bantering and yet no one has asked if these phones are going to have a lightning port, USB-C, or none at all.  

I think the consensus on the webs is lightning.  
  • Reply 68 of 70
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,324member
    It would be great if at least the Pro models moved to USB-C. Wishful thinking, perhaps.
    My guess is that they stick with lightning for now, and remove all charging ports in the next.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

The other Chinatown guy.

LOL... No, just somebody who values truth and reality over lopsided political ideologies and propaganda.  You should try it instead of babbling regurgitated politicized nonsense.

The truth is:   Trump wins by smearing others using lies, distortions and outright fabrications.   And, his foolish followers believe anything he says, no matter how ridiculous.  Others have asked him for proof of his slanders against China.  But, instead of producing proof of his claims (which he can't, because there is none) he instead says:  "Proof is not necessary" -- which his crazy cult takes as de facto proof of his crazy claims!   I'm not sure if that is sad or funny.   Maybe "pitiful" describes it best.
    avon b7
  • Reply 70 of 70
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    If I'm honest, the only thing that interests me in all this are the dimensions of the phones. The rest can wait.

spock1234