Entire 'iPhone 12' & 'iPhone 12 Pro' lineup specs detailed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Fatman said:
    Looks like it will be a hard choice for customers ... balancing price, screen and camera - but all good for Apple! Probably USB-C on all and 5G will only be on the Pro models (people willing to pay a premium for 5G service are willing to pay more for the phone)
    No USB-C has been rumored.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 70
    My only concern is the inclusion of Qualcomm modems and hopefully better antenna design. I had to turn on a Samsung phone because where I live, the iPhone 11 Pro Max either drops calls or the reception is so bad nobody can hear me. Even with WiFi calling on it was unusable. I know mileage varies on this topic but for me personally, the iPhone 11 lineup was the worst at actually being a phone. 
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    My only concern is the inclusion of Qualcomm modems and hopefully better antenna design. I had to turn on a Samsung phone because where I live, the iPhone 11 Pro Max either drops calls or the reception is so bad nobody can hear me. Even with WiFi calling on it was unusable. I know mileage varies on this topic but for me personally, the iPhone 11 lineup was the worst at actually being a phone. 
    The modem on the iPhone has literally no connection to Wi-Fi calling.
    tmayjdb8167roundaboutnowBeatsmike1entropysfastasleepGeorgeBMacwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 24 of 70
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Def frustrating. I’d like the pro. I’m willing to pay $999. I’m not willing to buy a 6.1” phone. 5.4” for $999 is perfect. :(

It sucks they keep making the Pro bigger....I don't want a bigger phone! POCKET SIZE??? When I want/need a bigger screen I grab my iPad

• Reply 25 of 70
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Def frustrating. I’d like the pro. I’m willing to pay $999. I’m not willing to buy a 6.1” phone. 5.4” for $999 is perfect. :(

It sucks they keep making the Pro bigger....I don't want a bigger phone! POCKET SIZE??? When I want/need a bigger screen I grab my iPad

• Reply 26 of 70
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    mike1 said:
    If this is true, I'd be a little disappointment that the Pro models are starting with a 6.1" screen and therefore enclosure. The 5.8" screen on the X, XS and 11 Pro were great. Those who wanted a larger screen could go to the Max versions.
    I and others believe its the same outer dimensions but display pushed out even further
    That's not possible without making the corners square instead of rounded, and even then it would be a slight stretch (but then Apple calls the 11 Pro Max 6.5" when it's slightly less).
  • Reply 27 of 70
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    If this is true... 

Apple will eventually abandon aluminum across their entire line of iPhones/iPads.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Starting to get overly complicated. This is where we were not long ago with all of the Windows versions that were out there. The nice thing about keeping things simple is enabling easy decision making when it comes to purchasing. Apple Store employees might need a PhD to help customers figure all of this out.
    spock1234
  • Reply 29 of 70
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    The 6.1" vs 6.7" size difference doesn't make sense to me. What's the point? I call bs on this.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The phone wouldn't necessarily be any larger based on these specs.

Think about those rounded edges for a second. The current iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen, but those rounded edges expand out. The "footprint" of the iPhone 11 is really 6.33". 

If the iPhone 12 has flat corners and a 6.1" screen, and they're able to keep the bezel around .10" on every size, it could have the same footprint and thus be the same size in your pocket.

anyway… that small one could easily have the same footprint as the iPhone 5/5S/SE! there's your small phone my dude

It's looking, from these specs, that the Pro line phones both moved up in size and, if you still want the small external form factor you are limited to the regular iPhone 12.
    That is, the iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen.   The iPhone 12 described here has a 5.4" screen while the 12 Pro has an Xr/11 sized 6.1" screen.

I think having the same names for different sized phones (or different names for similar sized phones) is going to trip up a lot of people
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 31 of 70
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Lots of positives in there at first glance.

If they all get the A14 and on SoC 5G, it will be a line-up that will suit many. 

Clearly, the regular iPhone 11 should drop to a very attractive price point too.

Good to see the pricing adjustments continue. 

Hope it's true. The design (iPhone 4 style) was also one of my favourites. 

Respectable reply since you didn't mention the irrelevant iPhoneys but you keep hammering 5G.

What happened with the doom predictions that Apple would fail if they didn't release a 5G iPhone in 2019? Apple is selling better than ever. Just goes to show 5G is only important to those who Huawei and Co. influence. No one else gives a damn right now and if iPhone 12 does not have 5G it will still sell and you guys will move the goal posts to "if iPhone doesn't have 5G this year..."
    edited May 2020 tmaywatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 32 of 70
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    It would be great if at least the Pro models moved to USB-C. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Why? There's no discernible benefit and many of us already have a house full of Lightning charging cables.
    igorskyrazorpitwatto_cobranetmagespock1234
  • Reply 33 of 70
    mike1 said:
    If this is true, I'd be a little disappointment that the Pro models are starting with a 6.1" screen and therefore enclosure. The 5.8" screen on the X, XS and 11 Pro were great. Those who wanted a larger screen could go to the Max versions.
    I and others believe its the same outer dimensions but display pushed out even further

That's be fine with me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 70

Huh? You may have another problem with the phone. If you have good WiFi and turn on WiFi Calling, the antenna or performance of the modem is irrelevant.
    fastasleepwatto_cobranetmagespock1234
  • Reply 35 of 70
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Really hoping ProMotion makes it in! 

Sounds like Apple will either go whole hog or not have it at all, which is a shame. If there was a toggle that gave up say 15% of your battery life to turn it on I'd still be in for it, it's been great since the 11. 
    edited May 2020 watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member

It's looking, from these specs, that the Pro line phones both moved up in size and, if you still want the small external form factor you are limited to the regular iPhone 12.
    That is, the iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen.   The iPhone 12 described here has a 5.4" screen while the 12 Pro has an Xr/11 sized 6.1" screen.
    The point I'm making is that all these larger screens can fit inside the same footprints as the existing models. If the sides are flat instead of curved, that creates an additional ~eighth of an inch of "bezel" on every side that can be filled with screen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Starting to get overly complicated. This is where we were not long ago with all of the Windows versions that were out there. The nice thing about keeping things simple is enabling easy decision making when it comes to purchasing. Apple Store employees might need a PhD to help customers figure all of this out.
    I think you're kidding.  4 models that are easily lined up from most affordable to most expensive with features that improve as you move "left to right" is dead simple.
    tmaycanukstormigorskyfastasleepwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 38 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Looks like a killer lineup!

Apple has basically everything covered!

From the very affordable iPhone SE to these 4 new iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models coming later this year!

There is something there for every need and every budget!

And if anybody thinks that the lineup is too complicated, then allow me to suggest that their comprehension and understanding is too limited. This lineup is very simple and easy to understand.

edited May 2020 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 70
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    In my opinion, its not about the new hardware but what they are going to do with the software that matters most. The hardware is more incremental than shout out massive changes because there is a limit how much a leap each iteration can make.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Lots of positives in there at first glance.

If they all get the A14 and on SoC 5G, it will be a line-up that will suit many. 

Clearly, the regular iPhone 11 should drop to a very attractive price point too.

Good to see the pricing adjustments continue. 

Hope it's true. The design (iPhone 4 style) was also one of my favourites. 

Respectable reply since you didn't mention the irrelevant iPhoneys but you keep hammering 5G.

What happened with the doom predictions that Apple would fail if they didn't release a 5G iPhone in 2019? Apple is selling better than ever. Just goes to show 5G is only important to those who Huawei and Co. influence. No one else gives a damn right now and if iPhone 12 does not have 5G it will still sell and you guys will move the goal posts to "if iPhone doesn't have 5G this year..."

Firstly, this is a rumour. Therefore everything is conditional. 

Secondly, my opinion on Apple and 5G hasn't changed in the slightest. Why do you think it might have?

Apple without 5G this year would have been a disaster. The deal with QC was to resolve that problem (among others obviously). 

It is rumoured that Huawei is going to release a $400 5G phone in the next few days. Late last year they released the first 5G chipsets on the flagships. Early this year it landed on the mid range phones. By the time the iPhone 12 arrives, Huawei will have almost 20 5G phones on the market at most price points. In April last year they released the world's first 5G module for the automobile industry for testing. This year it is shipping and they have signed on a lot of vendors. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/05/09/millions-of-huawei-users-will-now-get-this-radical-new-android-alternative/

Can you imagine Apple without 5G this year and having to wait until late next year to ship it? Unthinkable, right? That's where QC pops into the situation. If you thought you could smell bacon not too long ago, it was Apple's and QC saved it. Read what you will into the deal but Apple absolutely needed 5G this year at the latest. 

Apple is not selling phones better than ever. That's why the SE just got launched. It is why pricing was adjusted last year and, according to this rumour, will be adjusted again this year AND another model might be added to the spread AND the price mix (including older phones) is looking not shabby at all. 

There would be no need to have done any of that if they were selling phones better than ever.

As for my 'respectable' comment, when have they ever not been respectable?

I call it as I see it. Can't be any simpler than that, LOL. 

If I think Apple is not being competitive, slacking, abusing pricing, making strategic mistakes etc I give my opinion and support it.

They are opinions. No more. No less. 

If I think a product or strategic move is a good move, I say so.

We are writing in a discussion forum, after all. 
    GeorgeBMacapplecoredmuthuk_vanalingam