Latest leak has "sleek" Apple Glasses coming out in 2021 instead of 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
A prolific leaker says a recent report about Apple Glasses coming in 2022 is wrong -- and he instead expects them to ship in mid-2021.

Credit: Magic Leap

The long-rumored Apple glasses were predicted on Thursday to ship in 2022 because of the complexity of the build according to Ming-Chi Kuo. However, Jon Prosser believes that they will arrive between March 2021 and June 2021.

I can't believe I'm going against Kuo on this one... but I believe he's wrong.

Apple Glasses are aimed for March-June 2021.

Also.
I've seen them.
They're sleek as hell.

Will be showing you soon https://t.co/0GaOYDA5N8

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

In Kuo's report, he stated that lamination and device complexity were the reasons for the 2022 ship date. Additionally, the lamination costs for the so-called "Apple Glasses" are likely to be high, since the device would require multiple layers of lamination to "create (an) innovative MR/AR user experience."

At one point, Kuo had an earlier date forecast for the release of the device. In October 2019, the analyst claimed that Apple could launch its AR glasses in early 2020.

Apple has continued to quietly develop technology for a head-mounted AR experience. In March, it applied for a series of patents for systems like displaying high-resolution AR images and mixing real-world objects with virtual reality. The rumored internal meeting also suggests that Apple will release a pair of AR glasses as well as an AR headset-type device.

The device itself will likely offer capabilities already introduced in Apple's ARKit framework, and could use a suite of 3D sensors similar to the new LiDAR system in the 2020 iPad Pro.

Both Kuo and Prosser have reliable track records on predicting Apple's product plans. Kuo has a longer track record, but Prosser has provided more details on imminent products accurately.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    No matter when they become available, just give me a pre-order date.
    Japheybeowulfschmidtright_said_fredkurai_kagejony0fastasleeptht
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Whether March or June, with these glasses you’ll be able to see other’s thoughts
    (pushing these leakers out of business soon anyway...) 
    edited May 2020 right_said_fred
  • Reply 3 of 36
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Kuo v. Prosser.
    Does anyone want to pick the over/under for the price of these things?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    Japhey said:
    Kuo v. Prosser.
    Microsoft's Hololens 2 is $3,500 for enterprise. So I'd guess something lower than that.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Japhey said:
    Kuo v. Prosser.
    Free with In-Glasses Purchases...
  • Reply 6 of 36
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Will prescription lenses be available?
    randominternetpersoncornchiptht
  • Reply 7 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    JWSC said:
    They will possibly have adjustments for certain sight conditions. A spacer for glasses would make them less sleek I suppose. 
  • Reply 8 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

Do you really expect such details to be available on an unannounced product?
  • Reply 9 of 36
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

Of course not, but he brings up a good point.  The Apple Watch "just" had to displace traditional watches, but Apple Glasses would have to displace regular glasses.  I imagine that the number of people who wear glasses is much higher than the people who used to wear watches.
    cornchipDAalsethdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 36
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

Of course not, but he brings up a good point.  The Apple Watch "just" had to displace traditional watches, but Apple Glasses would have to displace regular glasses.  I imagine that the number of people who wear glasses is much higher than the people who used to wear watches.
    Apple’s glasses are not built to replace or displace the eyeglass market. They are another wearable computing device which currently has no competition except the holo lens which is not a mass market product. This will be a whole new market and Apple will be the first to sell it in mass quantities
    PatchyThePirateV.2jony0
  • Reply 11 of 36
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

Apple’s glasses are not built to replace or displace the eyeglass market. They are another wearable computing device which currently has no competition except the holo lens which is not a mass market product. This will be a whole new market and Apple will be the first to sell it in mass quantities
    If they have built-in cameras they could.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

That’s actually really interesting and I never thought of that. Virtual correction lenses....I stand corrected
    chasm
  • Reply 13 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    If it can double for prescription lenses and doesn't cost more than an engagement ring, I'm in. I've noticed that all the post-Jobs new hardware Apple have come out with are more in-house ... and very impressive. I do have to wonder if this will be a mass-market consumer item, or (at least at the start, like Apple Watch) a targeted to specific audiences type device that gains mass acceptance later.

PS. Article should make it abundantly clear that the photo used for the article is not in any way a representation of the potential product! What a dork-o-vision fail whatever that thing is!
    edited May 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 36
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    chasm said:
    If it can double for prescription lenses and doesn't cost more than an engagement ring, I'm in. I've noticed that all the post-Jobs new hardware Apple have come out with are more in-house ... and very impressive. I do have to wonder if this will be a mass-market consumer item, or (at least at the start, like Apple Watch) a targeted to specific audiences type device that gains mass acceptance later.

PS. Article should make it abundantly clear that the photo used for the article is not in any way a representation of the potential product! What a dork-o-vision fail whatever that thing is!
    The asthetics are on a par with Google Glass - Google is the Borg Collective and you have been assimilated :/
  • Reply 15 of 36
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    If it is good enough, it can replace a lot of things, including monitors, laptops, keyboards, trackpads, so on and so forth. It will all depend on how good the AR objects will look. If it can present a virtual display, with legible text at typical font sizes, that's another monitor beside your laptop monitor sitting in AR space. If the physical object tracking is good enough, it can project a trackpad next to your laptop and you can control a pointer by sliding your finger on the table.

Lots of possibilities here. Latency is going to be crucial.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

I find it funny that they used the word sleek in the title of the article and yet used these monstrosities as the picture. I guarantee that they won't look nearly this bad.
    sunman42mattinoz
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    KITA said:
    Japhey said:
    Kuo v. Prosser.
    Microsoft's Hololens 2 is $3,500 for enterprise. 
    Jesus Henry Christ on Bicycle!
     That's a lot more than I thought they were.
  • Reply 18 of 36

JWSC said:
    Yes..?

This is some seriously out-of-the-box thinking. 

I'm just not sure that I want to see the world in front of me, through screens in front of my eyes. 

But now I'm thinking about  …

A set of Apple glasses:

You open the box, pair them with your iPhone. It asks you to enter your prescription, then it asks if you have another prescription for reading glasses. Or perhaps you'd prefer the bifocal option.

And it the view darkens when you go out in strong sunlight …

Right, I think I've been watching too much Altered Carbon

The thing is, if they're sleek, you can't wear other glasses underneath them. That means you're going to need contact lenses or prescription lenses.

Wow. Loads to think about.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 19 of 36

DAalseth said:

I find it funny that they used the word sleek in the title of the article and yet used these monstrosities as the picture. I guarantee that they won't look nearly this bad.

Remember that hideous gold box they used to drag out for every article for the Apple car? They do it because they know people will comment on it; every second of engagement helps.

DAalseth
  • Reply 20 of 36
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    DAalseth said:

You beat me to the punch(line). "Sleek" is one word I would not use to describe that.... thing. Even Microsoft's Hololens, which displays the design elegance (*cough*) for which Microsoft is known, look orders of magnitude less.... bad than this. Google Glass, by comparison, was downright sexy.

I expect Apple to come up with something the Fearless Spaceman Spiff would want to wear.