'The Joe Rogan Experience' to ditch Apple Podcasts, YouTube for Spotify

Posted:
in General Discussion
"The Joe Rogan Experience" will leave Apple Podcasts later in 2020 to become a Spotify exclusive, it was revealed on Tuesday afternoon.

'The Joe Rogan Experience' will leave both YouTube and Apple Podcasts for Spotify later in 2020.
'The Joe Rogan Experience' will leave both YouTube and Apple Podcasts for Spotify later in 2020.

One of the most popular podcasts that Apple hosts, The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE), has long been unavailable on Spotify, despite being one of the most-searched-for podcasts on that platform. That's due to change on September 1, when Joe Rogan's talk show will move to Spotify as part of a multi-year exclusive licensing deal, Spotify announced in a blog post.

It doesn't appear that JRE will be pulled off of other platforms, like Apple Podcasts, immediately on Sept 1. Spotify said that it'll become an exclusive "later this year."

While past Spotify podcast efforts appeared to have been aimed at Apple, this one also seems to be directed toward YouTube. Joe Rogan is currently one of YouTube's most popular video podcasters, with 8.41 million subscribers on the platform.

YouTube will retain Joe Rogan's channel, but it won't feature full podcast episodes going forward. Along with the audio podcasts, Spotify itself will feature JRE video content as "in-app vodcasts." Spotify maintains that comedian and talk show host Joe Rogan will maintain creative control over the podcast.

The move is just part of a broader push from Spotify into the podcasts market. In February, those efforts appear to have paid off, with Spotify reporting a 200% year-over-year rise in podcast listening on its platform.
raybo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I wonder how much the recent censorship YouTube has been doing played a part in this decision?
    JWSCcornchiptoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    juanguapojuanguapo Posts: 75member
    Who....cares?
    JWSCronnelijahgsergiozmdriftmeyerjahbladeGeorgeBMacpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    razorpit said:
    I wonder how much the recent censorship YouTube has been doing played a part in this decision?
    Nah, this is all about money.  Rogan gets more with an exclusive deal and Spotify attracts more subscribers.
    StrangeDaysjahbladecgWerkstoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 38
    juanguapo said:
    Who....cares?
    Spotify’s stock skyrocketed after the news, so there’s plenty of people that care. It’s still rising after hours.
    chemengin1razorpitZepLepplincaladaniantoysandme
  • Reply 5 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Umm...bye?

I'm sure this is an extremely lucrative deal for both him and Spotify, and I wish them well. I'd normally be against people doing exclusive deals like this, but I find it hard to care about this one.

I mean, he was good in Newsradio, but in real life he's a raving nutbag.

[EDIT] Got my forum software confused again.
    edited May 2020 ronnmknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    I wonder if it will be like Howard Stern, who once he left the airwaves disappeared from public consciousness.
    ronnrandominternetpersoncgWerkstoysandme
  • Reply 7 of 38
    bsnjonbsnjon Posts: 39member
    There is an opportunity for Apple here. Spotify isn’t really profitable, and its business model involves paying musicians tiny amounts for their work.  Their big plan is to take the money they have and spend it NOT on the artists that do the work?

Apple can really play the angle that Apple is the company for music and musicians, by spending a relatively small amount by their standards. Spotify might seem a giant now, but the company is quite fragile. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Gotta be pretty starved for entertainment to listen to him. But hey, good for him.
    ronncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    razorpit said:
    Yeah as others pointed out, this was a stunt pulled by Spotify to attract more subscribers. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    I typically only watch the live or video version on YouTube, so this news is not surprising with all the censorship issues on YouTube. JRE is best in a mature uncensored unfiltered environment. Even though I’m a Spotify subscriber, I’m not fan of exclusive deals, but I understand it’s just business and Spotify will continue to keep it free (for now at least). I’ll continue to watch JRE, but wonder if this means live versions are done. No more live fight companions either? My only question is will there still be a way to watch it live?
    raybowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    Nah, this is all about money.  Rogan gets more with an exclusive deal and Spotify attracts more subscribers.
    Exactly! Even though Spotify will offer the JRE podcast for free (for now at least), more people with sign up for the free version at first and at some point a certain percentage will convert over to premium subscribers. Spotify's bean counters have run the possible numbers and must have deemed the potential free to premium conversion rate worth a big pay day for Joe. Congrats to Joe! 
    cgWerkstoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    razorpit said:
    Zero. Anti-vaxxers, racists, and nutjobs aren't a market anybody cares about.
    tmaylkruppbadmonkgatorguypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    He shtick is not my cup of tea but he certainly is popular. I’m curious if this will actually drive Spotify usage in a meaningful way over the long term. There is probably something to be said or exclusive content but I can’t see Spotify building up enough content produces to make it pay off given they can’t make a profit currently. 
  • Reply 14 of 38
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Increasing the average podcast I.Q. on Apple Podcasts by ten. No hope for YouTube, though. 
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    It sounds a lot like what Howard Stern did with Sirius XM. If you want to listen to Howard you have to pay. Quite frankly I’m not familiar with this Joe Rogan character. What is  his schtick and who listens to him?
    edited May 2020 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    juanguapo said:
    Who....cares?
    190 million downloads a month in 2019, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 190 million people care.
    ZepLepplincaladaniangatorguychemengin1cgWerkstoysandme
  • Reply 17 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

lkrupp said:
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    It sounds a lot like what Howard Stern did with Sirius XM. If you want to listen to Howard you have to pay. Quite frankly I’m not familiar with this Joe Rogan character. What is  his schtick and who listens to him?
    If only there were some kind of online encyclopedia where you could look up basic facts about stuff.
    geekmeecornchiprazorpitchemengin1cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I watch a lot of Joe’s podcasts on YouTube via Apple TV. I skip some, but the majority are interesting. One thing I’ve noticed is the constant concern of being demonetized on YouTube. I’m sure this has something to do with the Spotify deal.
    chemengin1toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Interesting, we will have to wait and see.
    But there are two things in mind that don’t change this business equation.
    1.) Spotify is still a 1 product company 
    2.) They just put all their money in 1 person.

Diversification is not always the answer, but its generally a safer bet than putting all your money on 1 horse.

If I were Joe Rogan, I would’ve done the same thing.
    But looking at Spotify, not so much.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    juanguapo said:
    Who....cares?
    The people who like his podcast. 
    raybochemengin1