T-Mobile issue sparks widespread outage reports across US [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A problem with voice and data service on T-Mobile's network appears to be causing widespread outage reports across the U.S., including complaints from users on other networks.

Credit: T-Mobile
Credit: T-Mobile

Service tracking site DownDetector noted a peak of 117,015 T-Mobile outage reports at 3:03 p.m. Eastern. Impacted users across social media reported being unable to make or receive calls. Some other users reported issues with data, although Wi-Fi calling appeared unaffected.

T-Mobile's technology president, Neville Ray, acknowledged the issue at 4:18 p.m. Eastern.

Our engineers are working to resolve a voice and data issue that has been affecting customers around the country. We're sorry for the inconvenience and hope to have this fixed shortly.

-- Neville (@NevilleRay)

Interestingly, reports of widespread outages also appeared for Sprint, AT&T and Verizon, although the two former companies have said that their networks are working fine.

According to Protocol editor Mike Murphy, that appears to be because T-Mobile's issues were so widespread that callers on other networks thought their own services were experiencing issues.

interesting update: i've just been told that *one network* (appears to be TMO, waiting for confirmation) is having an issue, but because other people are calling people on that network, they think the issue is on their end, which is why downdetector looks like this

-- Mike Murphy (@mcwm)

Update: Services were restored later in the day, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in a tweet vowed to probe the wide outage, calling it "unacceptable."

"The T-Mobile network outage is unacceptable. The @FCC is launching an investigation. We're demanding answers - and so are American consumers," Pai said on Twitter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Services were restored later in the day, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in a tweet vowed to probe the wide outage, calling it "unacceptable."
    Because there's no possibility at all that T-Mobile will be trying to figure it out themselves.  Good thing the government is on the case, otherwise T-Mobile would just sit back and do nothing.

/s
    razorpitpulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 5
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Services were restored later in the day, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in a tweet vowed to probe the wide outage, calling it "unacceptable."
    Because there's no possibility at all that T-Mobile will be trying to figure it out themselves.  Good thing the government is on the case, otherwise T-Mobile would just sit back and do nothing.

/s
    In an unpopular opinion, I don’t think Ajit Pai deserves half the shade thrown his way, this is one of those times he deserves it.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    razorpit said:

/s
    In an unpopular opinion, I don’t think Ajit Pai deserves half the shade thrown his way, this is one of those times he deserves it.
    Why does he deserve it? According to some sources, the US was hit with massive DDOS attacks on all kinds of businesses and networks. Likely perpetrators include all the usual suspects: China, Russia, North Korea and Iran.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:

/s
    Why does he deserve it? According to some sources, the US was hit with massive DDOS attacks on all kinds of businesses and networks. Likely perpetrators include all the usual suspects: China, Russia, North Korea and Iran.
    Good way of looking at it. To be honest I didn’t think of that angle. Can I change my thought?  :)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    razorpit said:

/s
    And how is the T-Mobile's fault?  Ajit Pai sounds like he's going to investigate T-Mobole - not some DDOS...

Just read his quote from the article:
    "The T-Mobile network outage is unacceptable. The @FCC is launching an investigation. We're demanding answers - and so are American consumers," Pai said on Twitter.