'iPhone 12' could come with braided Lightning cable, leak claims

Posted:
in iPhone
The "iPhone 12" may not include a charger in the box, but it could have an extra surprise for its included Lightning cable, with a leaker claiming it will be a braided version that may be more hard-wearing than the current in-box cable.

White braided Lightning cable

Rumors have speculated that Apple will be removing items from the box it supplies to buyers of the "iPhone 12, such as the charger and earphones. Of what will be left in the box, it is suggested that the charging cable may be given an upgrade after many years of having the same design.

In images sourced from Weibo and posted to Twitter by "DuanRui," the in-box USB-C to Lightning cable will be braided. The images show it to have the standard Apple terminations on each end, but instead of a plastic-coated cable, it will instead be covered by a braided sheathing.

iPhone 12 series will be equipped with USB-C to Lightning braided data cable (via. ) pic.twitter.com/mla5HCKGRU

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

The Weibo post about the leak goes into detail claiming the cable has 8 silver contacts made using a "rhodium-plated ruthenium" process, one that allegedly is more hard-wearing against corrosion. The braiding is made of gray and white filaments mixed in a "2+2 interlaced manner" that is wear-resistant.

According to the post, the cable measures 1.05 meters (3 feet 5.3 inches) end to end, while the diameter of the wire itself is 3.04 millimeters.

It is unclear if the cable is genuine, as braided cables are quite commonly available. The track records of Weibo leaker ChargerLAB and DuanRui are also relatively unknown, but the retweet by prominent leaker @L0vetodream gives the images some merit.

It remains to be seen whether Apple will include a braided cable in the box, but given what it is supposedly removing, an upgraded and more resilient cable may be a welcome addition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    That could give a more premium feel to people who have purchased the flagship phone. 

Personally, I have never had an issue with a Lightning (or 30-pin) charging cable wearing out or fraying. I don’t feel like I treat them with kid gloves so I always wonder how people seem to destroy them so quickly. 
    edited July 2020 StrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I’m sure I’m not the first one here to think, IT’S ABOUT FRIGGIN’ TIME APPLE!
    SpamSandwichcaladanianlkruppjony0JapheyGeorgeBMacchemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JWSC said:
    Agree. High-quality braided Amazon cables (under the “AmazonBasics” name) for iPhone have been available for years at extremely reasonable prices. I just won’t even consider Apple’s cables in the instances they’re not absolutely necessary anymore. They’ve easily outlasted every Apple power cable for iPhone/iPad I’ve ever bought.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 24
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I would love it. 
  • Reply 5 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JWSC said:
    Agree. High-quality braided Amazon cables (under the “AmazonBasics” name) for iPhone have been available for years at extremely reasonable prices. I just won’t even consider Apple’s cables in the instances they’re not absolutely necessary anymore. They’ve easily outlasted every Apple power cable for iPhone/iPad I’ve ever bought.
    And I buy nothing but Apple branded cables because of their quality and long lasting performance. I have NEVER had an Apple cable go bad, EVER.  And I know they will work properly with my Apple gear.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Every single other brand of braided cable I've bought in the past has failed at the tip breaking off from the plastic plug around it, not at the cable. Not saying Apple's would do that, just that braided cables from other manufacturers doesn't mean they aren't shitty.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    tech13tech13 Posts: 6member
    They should at least give you a 6’ cord with the new iPhone 12. Every cord that came with me iPhone fell apart, not only where you plug it into your iPhone, but randomly on the cord. 
    I buy a new iPhone every year and the cord only lasts 2 to 3 months. My Apple Store used to replace them every time, but they have stopped that practice. 
    I finally bought 2 braided cables 6’ long for less than the little cheap cables that Apple sends, from Best Buy, and they have lasted over a 1.5 years with no problems. Apple just loves taking your money. 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 8 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:
    And I buy nothing but Apple branded cables because of their quality and long lasting performance. I have NEVER had an Apple cable go bad, EVER.  And I know they will work properly with my Apple gear.
    That's what the Apple MFi program is for, and statements like "I have NEVER had an Apple cable go bad, EVER." make me wonder how long you've actually been using apple gear as Apple cables are notorious for fraying at the joint between the cable and the plug. To be fair, many other cables do the same, but Apple cables' durability can be described as mediocre at best.
    chemengin1cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:
    Likewise, I’ve had Amazon Basics and Monoprice fail apart in ridiculous short time frames, and several braided “kevlar lined” Ankers simply stop working after six months, despite not being worn down. I have never had an Apple cable fail. Hopefully we get the best of both words. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

tech13 said:
    They should at least give you a 6’ cord with the new iPhone 12. Every cord that came with me iPhone fell apart, not only where you plug it into your iPhone, but randomly on the cord. 
    I buy a new iPhone every year and the cord only lasts 2 to 3 months. My Apple Store used to replace them every time, but they have stopped that practice. 
    I finally bought 2 braided cables 6’ long for less than the little cheap cables that Apple sends, from Best Buy, and they have lasted over a 1.5 years with no problems. Apple just loves taking your money. 
    What do you do to your cables? I’ve bought an iphone almost every year (the X lasted me a couple), and my cables lasted with them. 
    edited July 2020 mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:
    That's what the Apple MFi program is for, and statements like "I have NEVER had an Apple cable go bad, EVER." make me wonder how long you've actually been using apple gear as Apple cables are notorious for fraying at the joint between the cable and the plug. To be fair, many other cables do the same, but Apple cables' durability can be described as mediocre at best.
    I’ve been using Apple gear since 1982 and your “notorious” comment is bullshit you can’t substantiate with facts. Oh, and Google “hits” don’t count. I stand by my claim that I personally have never had an Apple cable fail on me in everyday use. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:
    I suppose everyone has their own use case story. Nearly every iOS device Apple power cable I’ve owned ends up cracking.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Why not include a USB C cable ... for the iPhone's USB C plug. That way data transfers could be lightning fast. Uh, make that USB C fast.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    They usually age well but out of the 1 iPod, 3 iPhones and 4 iPads, 2 cables frayed :
    The Lightning frayed an inch or so whereas the 30-pin frayed for more than half its length, it just dried up and was just crumbling.

They both continued to work a few years afterwards, even after the braided shield frayed as well, until they eventually failed. Mind you the latter was from a 2005 iPod and the former from an original iPad mini. I have no complaints since they gave me many years of reliable service at which point they should ultimately be considered as consumables. Oh, and yes, I always grabbed them by the connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tech13 said:
    What the hell do you do with your cables? I've never seen anything like this happen in 13 years of iPhones. Older ones occasionally would yellow and the rubber coating would crumble after years of abuse, but I've never had any recent Lightnight cables exhibit problems whatsoever. They're not invincible, but it seems like some people *really* abuse their stuff for these things to happen regularly for them. 
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Bottom line, if these cables were really as durable as some people on here claim they are, then why would so many 3rd party companies find the need or have a market to release so many braided options? Why would this rumor exist at all? So, if you’ve been fortunate enough to not have any problems with your OEM cables, consider yourselves lucky because you’re definitely in the minority. 

Personally, I really hope this rumor is true. I just wish they would branch out from offering them only in white. I would love a Space Gray option to match my phone. Or midnight blue, if that rumor ends up being true. 
    CluntBaby92SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I haven't had many problems with Apple lightning cables, but have had loads of 30 pin dock cables fray on me.  Any improvement is welcome though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:
    Likewise, I’ve had Amazon Basics and Monoprice fail apart in ridiculous short time frames, and several braided “kevlar lined” Ankers simply stop working after six months, despite not being worn down. I have never had an Apple cable fail. Hopefully we get the best of both words. 
    That’s the thing! Had an Apple cable for years (and still have) Frayed halfway down from lightening end... still works! Meanwhile can’t count how many cheap-o cables I’ve gone through that looked fine, but just quit working.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tech13 said:
    I have never had an apple branded cable that I use in my home or the office fail, go bad or fall apart ever. It's strange how this happens to some folks quickly and others it never happens? I also have gotten a new phone every year since the iPhone 6.. Could it be quality control and some cables just aren't up to snuff and fail quickly, or is it the user?  Op this isn't just you I have people that I personally know that say the same thing...

The only time I have ever had cables fail were when I used bought from amazon braided style in my car at all different price points. In my Infiniti the USB connection is in the armrest console and a bit of a PITA to get at in order to plug an unplug it. So I just leave the cable connected all the time. Non Apple cables usually last me 6 months or so and then start with the wonkiness ( needs to be a certain side to connect, will cut in and out if the cable is moved around, or just shows not connected over and over ).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    crowley said:
    I haven't had many problems with Apple lightning cables, but have had loads of 30 pin dock cables fray on me.  Any improvement is welcome though.
    The old school 30 pin with the little tabs that you had to press on the sides to release were the worst! I had one that was half together in an older vehicle for years not sure how it kept working but it did!

watto_cobra