Microsoft president raised concerns about Apple App Store in House antitrust meeting

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,467member
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    qwerty52 said:
    danvm said:
    tmay said:

danvm said:
    Beats said:
    Microsoft president says Apple not fair.

Of course he cares about "antitrust" issues and doesn't have a vested interest. Not like he works for a failed competitor or anything.
    /s

In other news Burger King says there's too many McDonald's locations, causes environmental problems.
    For example, is there a valid reason for Apple to block game streaming services, like Stadia, GeForce Now or xCloud?  Does it makes sense to you?
    Apple doesn't have its own game streaming service, so why would they want to enable 3rd party game streaming? Will Congress now force Apple to provide streaming games, and what would be a fair cut?
    Apple don't have to approve app based in what they have or don't have.  If it is as you said, then they should remove educational apps, ERP's and many others they don't have.  What you said doesn't makes sense.
    Are you saying now, that if I am selling only TV sets, I would be also obliged to sell potatoes too?
    No, your are not forced to sell potatoes in your TV store, the same way Apple is not obligated to allow game streaming services.  Too bad, since millions of xCloud, Stadia and GeForce customers with iOS devices will miss the benefits of game streaming.  But I suppose I cannot expect Apple understand this, considering their terrible gaming history.
    You need to chill.

DBAD
    I'm chilling... B)
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 42 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anti-monopoly laws are all nonsense.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    danvm said:
    sflocal said:
    Please correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Microsoft’s Windows Mobile App Store exclusive also?
    I don't think it's important what was the Windows Mobile / Windows Phone App store.  The issue is what is the iOS / iPad OS App Store today.  
    Wrong.

My point is that Microsoft is/was doing the exact same thing with Windows Mobile, and now since it wasn't successful, is now going to bully Apple.  Microsoft would love nothing better than to have the government force Apple to open the floodgates into the Apple Ecosystem.

Perhaps we should also include Xbox live into the discussion.  I think Microsoft needs to open that system up too.
    tmaycivajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,419member
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:
    My question is how much does Microsoft charge for access to Windows on PCs and how much for developers on the Xbox platform?
    I don't see any relevance on what MS charge OEM for Windows in an issue related to the iOS / iPadOS App Store.  Maybe is more close to the XBox platform.  The difference is that I can go any retailer and purchase games.  I cannot do that with IOS / iPadOS devices.  

Another issue, that in my opinion doesn't makes sense, is Apple blocking games streaming services (xCloud, Stadia, GForce Now).  I hope Apple change their mind in the future.

And you don't thing those developers cough up some serious coin in order to be able to develop and sell an XBox game at retail? And that the retailers add margin on to their cost for the game?
    civatmayjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 64
    sflocal said:
    danvm said:
    sflocal said:
    Please correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Microsoft’s Windows Mobile App Store exclusive also?
    I don't think it's important what was the Windows Mobile / Windows Phone App store.  The issue is what is the iOS / iPad OS App Store today.  
    Wrong.

My point is that Microsoft is/was doing the exact same thing with Windows Mobile, and now since it wasn't successful, is now going to bully Apple.  Microsoft would love nothing better than to have the government force Apple to open the floodgates into the Apple Ecosystem.
    MS is not doing something with the Windows Mobile / Windows Phone app store, since it doesn't exist. And what they did IMO is not relevant since, again, it doesn't exist anymore. 

I don't think MS are bulling Apple, considering what the article mentions.  In addition, they have a lot invested in iOS and macOS apps and services.  They even have MS Office in the macOS App Store, which I think is one of the few big companies developing for macOS.  Maybe what they asking, with a lot of small developers, is that Apple fix some policies they have in their app store.

Perhaps we should also include Xbox live into the discussion.  I think Microsoft needs to open that system up too.
    Xbox is a good example of what Apple should be doing.  For example, they allowed EA to have a subscription service, even though they compete with GamePass.  
    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps/ea-access
    I think that Apple could learn a thing or two from MS.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:
    My question is how much does Microsoft charge for access to Windows on PCs and how much for developers on the Xbox platform?
    The difference is that I can go any retailer and purchase games.  I cannot do that with IOS / iPadOS devices.
    No you can’t, you can only buy games from retailers with agreements which aren’t determined by you.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 64
    mike1 said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:
    I don't see any relevance on what MS charge OEM for Windows in an issue related to the iOS / iPadOS App Store.  Maybe is more close to the XBox platform.  The difference is that I can go any retailer and purchase games.  I cannot do that with IOS / iPadOS devices.  

Another issue, that in my opinion doesn't makes sense, is Apple blocking games streaming services (xCloud, Stadia, GForce Now).  I hope Apple change their mind in the future.

And you don't thing those developers cough up some serious coin in order to be able to develop and sell an XBox game at retail? And that the retailers add margin on to their cost for the game?
    Yes, publisher have to work it out with retailers the same way they do with MS or Sony.  But like I posted before, publishers and customers have options, purchase / sell from MS or purchase / sell from the retailer.  That doesn't exist in the App Store.  

Returning to the article, there is no mention that MS discussed what Apple charges.  Just policies from the app approval process and the use of the Apple payment mechanism.  Based in what I have read from other developers, both are valid points.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:
    The difference is that I can go any retailer and purchase games.  I cannot do that with IOS / iPadOS devices.
    No you can’t, you can only buy games from retailers with agreements which aren’t determined by you.

My point is that publishers / customers can negotiate / purchase Xbox games with different companies.  That option do not exist for iOS / iPadOS developers / customers.  
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 49 of 64
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,530member
    Man, if the government finds Apple charging a cut to pay for the structure/maintenance/bandwidth of the App Store (and, yes, at a profit) — this would be great news for small business! They wouldn’t have to pay rent anymore — the mall will need to provide that space for free!

Oh, and grocery stores would be required to sell their essential goods at cost ... profit on bread and Kraft Dinner should be illegal!

It’s not like these developers agreed to these “onerous” conditions when they signed their T&C for the App Store, and it’s not like other platforms exist ... oh wait.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,691member
    Microsoft charted it’s own course to irrelevancy in the mobile space. Running and crying to daddy and launching a finger pointing campaign against Apple for what is now a lost cause for Microsoft is pathetic considering they have nothing to gain by conspiring with regulators to inflict damage on Apple. 

Microsoft under Balmer made little attempt to cover up their distain for Apple. But at least they tried to compete on a level playing field. They were universally nasty, unlike the current regime who plays nice in public but gently sticks a knife in Apple’s back when Apple isn’t present to defend itself. This is a bad look for Microsoft and I’m not buying into their newfound victim mentality. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:

My point is that publishers / customers can negotiate / purchase Xbox games with different companies.  That option do not exist for iOS / iPadOS developers / customers.  
    This is the old "choice" argument that Android OS users used to bash iPhone users with. If you don't like the choice that Apple provides, there are plenty of other alternatives, and that applies to your Xbox streaming games as well.

Oh wait, Android OS devices are decidedly slow for gaming compared to iPhone and iPad.

Sad, but it isn't Apple's problem.
    svanstromDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Perhaps Apple are being too lenient. Perhaps they should decide the retail price of the products they stock in their store, not their software suppliers. Those suppliers can then decide if they wish to supply or not.
    After all, they can always supply all those other successful platforms via their stores🥴
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 64
    lkrupp said:
    This from the quintessential monopolist with 95% of the computer operating system market? And 95% NOT because it’s better but because of the skullduggery used to get there. The mind boggles.
    Yeah, but they did so whilst providing  superficial options at the hardware layer so the Govt lets them get away with it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 64
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:

Neither customers nor suppliers/publishers should get to determine how Apple delivers its products or services. They should get to chose to buy/supply or not.
    The App Store specifically solves the failings of the other approaches reconciling Apple’s supplier & customer interests.  Why should they (& we) be forced to regress? 

Choice doesn’t liberate, it incarcerates.
    edited July 2020 Detnator
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Wow ... I wonder if he whispered into congressional ears about the rising per seat and per server costs of Microsoft enterprise software, after partnering with other companies, stealing their research and logic flow, low balling and putting them out of business, and now finally raising their prices?

While he was there, I mean.
    svanstromDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 64
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:

This is the old "choice" argument that Android OS users used to bash iPhone users with. If you don't like the choice that Apple provides, there are plenty of other alternatives, and that applies to your Xbox streaming games as well.
    The thing is that, as today, Android is not an option for me.  I just want Apple devices to be better, and developers are a big part of it.  And based from what I have read from developers, including MS, Apple could improve their app store policies.  Remember that developers is what make iOS / iPadOS great.  I think they deserve to be heard, and this includes MS.  I hope Apple don't go with the mentality of "go to alternatives if you don't like our policies", as you do.
    Oh wait, Android OS devices are decidedly slow for gaming compared to iPhone and iPad. 

Sad, but it isn't Apple's problem.
    Maybe you don't know, but game streaming services like xCloud works fine in either iOS / iPadOS or Android, since the processing is done in MS datacenters.  You only need a reliable connection, and as today, Android devices may offer a better experience, considering some already support 5G connectivity.  

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-streaming/project-xcloud
  • Reply 57 of 64
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:

Neither customers nor suppliers/publishers should get to determine how Apple delivers its products or services. They should get to chose to buy/supply or not.
    The App Store specifically solves the failings of the other approaches reconciling Apple’s supplier & customer interests.  Why should they (& we) be forced to regress? 

The thing is that there are cases where Apple App Store policies are not in line with customer interests.  I already gave the example of game streaming services.  If Apple don't change their policies, iOS / iPadOS customers will miss what could be the best possible way to play games in Apple devices, since Apple won't allow that kind of service.  The only option they will have is Apple Arcade, which at the moment, is terrible.  This is an example where choices is good for customers, and do not incarcerates, as you said.  
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 58 of 64
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,909member
    Anti-monopoly laws are all nonsense.
    Only when you wield them against companies that are not monopolies (or near monopolies).
    svanstrom
  • Reply 59 of 64
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    danvm said:
    genovelle said:

The thing is that there are cases where Apple App Store policies are not in line with customer interests.  I already gave the example of game streaming services.  If Apple don't change their policies, iOS / iPadOS customers will miss what could be the best possible way to play games in Apple devices, since Apple won't allow that kind of service.  The only option they will have is Apple Arcade, which at the moment, is terrible.  This is an example where choices is good for customers, and do not incarcerates, as you said.  
    My local supermarket has the audacity of not being in line with my interest in not paying their profits. Should politicians force them to think of my greedy ass before themselves?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    danvm said:

If Apple don't change their policies, iOS / iPadOS customers will miss what could be the best possible way to play games in Apple devices
    And that's a consumer right that Apple has to proviide, and government should enforce?