Samsung announces 5G Galaxy Z Flip foldable smartphone, starting at $1,449

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Samsung on Wednesday announced the 5G version of its Galaxy Z Flip mobile phone, starting at $1,449.99.

Credit: Samsung
Credit: Samsung

The South Korean company announced the 4G version of the smartphone in February. It marked a second attempt at foldable smartphones for the company after the less-than-ideal debut of the Samsung Galaxy Fold.

Compared to the 4G Galaxy Z Flip, the new device is virtually identical in pretty much all respects. The major changes include 5G compatibility, a bumped-up Snapdragon 865 Plus processor and a $70 premium over the 4G model. It's also available in two new colors: Mystic Bronze and Mystic Gray.

The Galaxy Z Flip features a 6.7-inch display that folds width-wise, meaning it more closely resembles cellular flip phones rather than a foldable tablet. It also packs 8GB of RAM, 256GB of internal storage, a 3,300 mAH battery. On the camera front, it sports a 10-megapixel selfie camera, as well as a dual-camera, rear-facing setup with a 12MP wide-angle lens and a 12MP ultra-wide angle lens.

Samsung's Galaxy Z Flip is slated to start shipping in August. In the U.S., it'll be available on AT&T and T-Mobile, as well as from online retailers, including Amazon, Best Buy and Samsung itself, in an unlocked variant.

Apple is thought to be working on its own foldable iPhone., as numerous patents and patent applications suggest. The company's first 5G smartphones, the "iPhone 12" series, are largely expected to debut in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    It’s.. a gameboy advance sp 
    mwhitepulseimagesBeatsvirtualshiftjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    I never again want to hear people complain about iPhone prices.
    mwhitemike1Beatsvirtualshiftflyingdpjony0davenmartinp13pscooter63Dogperson
  • Reply 3 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Struggling to see how this could be a big seller.
    mwhitecornchipvirtualshiftSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    It would be nice if they could explain what dilemma that the foldable phone solves. Looks totally useless to me. 
    lightvox88virtualshiftmartinp13MplsPSpamSandwichqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Does it come with Pong and Pac-Man?
    virtualshiftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    The camera makes it look like you are getting half the screen. Pass.
    virtualshiftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    gerard said:
    It would be nice if they could explain what dilemma that the foldable phone solves. Looks totally useless to me. 

The only thing I can possibly see is that it protects the screen when not in use. But, do you see how thick it is when folded? Not be comfortable in my pocket. That's for sure.
    cornchipvirtualshiftqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Xed said:
    I never again want to hear people complain about iPhone prices.
    That is … pricey. 😳
    virtualshiftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    It’s.. a gameboy advance sp 
    Hahaha that’s exactly right! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I don't get it.  What benefit does this provide me as a user?  
    virtualshiftSpamSandwichqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    JWSC said:
    Struggling to see how this could be a big seller.
    Which it will of course not be. 

gerard said:
    It would be nice if they could explain what dilemma that the foldable phone solves.
    “First!” 

I honestly do not see the appeal of this. Back in the day it made sense. The screens were plastic & scratched easily, the clicky keyboards were prone to pocket-dialing, and as screens and keyboards got bigger and bigger the space savings made sense. But making the phone thicker just to be able to say it folds isn’t really solving any problems. It’s actually recreating old ones like re-introducing screens that scratch easily, as well as new ones like screens that develop stress distortion/fatigue at the bend. But, “first!”. Amazing.
    entropystmayjony0pscooter63qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apparently hands free is the big selling point.
    edited July 2020 tmay
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Textbook example of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Betting most of these will break and the media will not cover is. Yet if 14 out of 20 million iPhones bend the media and memes will come flooding in.

When/if Apple releases their bendable device(may not even be an iPhone) the usual iKnockoff morons will claim Apple copied this even though they've been working on it for years.

To make idiots think sammy invented this and didn't fail at copying Apple patents. Remember Galaxy Gear? *cringe*
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Beats said:
    Betting most of these will break and the media will not cover is. Yet if 14 out of 20 million iPhones bend the media and memes will come flooding in.

When/if Apple releases their bendable device(may not even be an iPhone) the usual iKnockoff morons will claim Apple copied this even though they've been working on it for years.

To make idiots think sammy invented this and didn't fail at copying Apple patents. Remember Galaxy Gear? *cringe*
    If most of them broke there would be nothing the media could do to not cover it. They would be all over it.

Folding phones are here, probably to stay, and doing very well considering the high pricing and the fact that they are still only second generation devices (COVID-19 issues aside). 

Overall durability is still up for evaluation but the crunch point has already passed us by. 

Few of the early adopters will keep the phones for longer than a generation as they typically have large amounts of disposable income and can afford to be on the latest versions.

Looks like the move from plastic to ultra thin glass from the likes of Schott is going to happen across the industry fairly soon and pricing is already projected to come soon too. 

https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-foldable-phones-prices-1100023/

edited July 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    avon b7 said:
    Folding phones are here, probably to stay, and doing very well considering the high pricing and the fact that they are still only second generation devices (COVID-19 issues aside). 
    Selling well according to whom?  I haven't heard nor read of any reports that this garbage was "selling well".  
    macplusplustmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    Selling well according to whom?  I haven't heard nor read of any reports that this garbage was "selling well".  
    According to Samsung and other reports that estimate sales. 

I don't understand the 'garbage' label. First hand experience? Have you seen any reviews on folding phones that go so far as to label them garbage. I haven't seen any! 

Quite the opposite in fact (considering these are first and second generation devices. Reviews I've seen (especially on the likes of the Mate XS go from favourable to 'I don't want to go back to a folding phone'

https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-z-flip-sales-march-2020-increase_id124389

The simple fact that we are seeing second (and soon) third generation folding phones in such a short timeframe with a pandemic affecting disposable income for many, points to there being a decent market there for these still very expensive devices. 
    edited July 2020 MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    I think being at third gen in such a short timeframe suggests they are being rushed to market for the saps paying big to do the QA for Samsung.
    and so Samsung mobile can say “First!”.

in fact, the marketing guru knew who the guru’s true market lies (Samsung Mobile execs) :  “its good to be first!”
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

If most of them broke there would be nothing the media could do to not cover it. They would be all over it.

Overall durability is still up for evaluation but the crunch point has already passed us by. 

Few of the early adopters will keep the phones for longer than a generation as they typically have large amounts of disposable income and can afford to be on the latest versions.

Looks like the move from plastic to ultra thin glass from the likes of Schott is going to happen across the industry fairly soon and pricing is already projected to come soon too. 

https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE

Your link to Huawei;

"So when will their prices come down? Will there ever be a time when foldable phones cost the same as regular phones? According to Huawei consumer group CEO Richard Yu, it’ll take about two years for that to happen. “The cost in that category is very high; we are losing money. The costs are so intensive, you cannot believe it, you cannot make a profit,” Yu was quoted as saying by Wired."

I'll wait, and it won't be Huawei, and it won't be Samsung...
    edited July 2020 fastasleepqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

Your link to Huawei;

"So when will their prices come down? Will there ever be a time when foldable phones cost the same as regular phones? According to Huawei consumer group CEO Richard Yu, it’ll take about two years for that to happen. “The cost in that category is very high; we are losing money. The costs are so intensive, you cannot believe it, you cannot make a profit,” Yu was quoted as saying by Wired."

I'll wait, and it won't be Huawei, and it won't be Samsung...
    You are going out on a limb unnecessarily. It could easily be Huawei or Samsung.

However, it doesn't matter who it is. What matters is that there is enough demand and competition to make it happen. 

It looks like there is and tri-folding or 'scrolling' screens might even find a market. 
    muthuk_vanalingam