Apple scrutinized for 'Find My' restrictions placed on third-party developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple will soon widen its "Find My" feature to allow third-party devices to be tracked, but not without a concerning number of restrictions, according to some developers.

Apple scrutinized for 'Find My' restrictions on third-party developers

In iOS 14, Apple will launch a new Find My network accessory program, which allows Apple customers to track third-party items, like object trackers such as Tile or any other devices that can be integrated into the platform.

However, it appears that third-party companies will have to adhere to far more stringent rules if they want to take advantage of Find My.

An anonymous developer shared a copy of an Apple document that detailed the rules they were expected to follow with The Washington Post. The document, which totaled 50 pages, details how customers will be able to interact with Find My.

The first major limitation is that users will not be able to use competing services while using Find My. Developers told The Post that this is not something they have encountered before. Apple users are usually afforded the ability to use multiple apps to control the same piece of hardware.

Developers will also be required to ask a user for consent before obtaining their location, which is essential for tracking items. This is a hindrance for third-party trackers like Tile.

Another hurdle for developers is their limited access to the Bluetooth antenna within the iPhone. While Find My can use Bluetooth whenever needed, third-party software can only use it conditionally.

Developers were also expected to sign a document entitled "Limited License to Find My Network Accessory Spec," which prevented them from going public with Apple's new Find My criteria. An anonymous developer shared the details of the document with The Post, pointing out that the confidentiality agreement was notably more strict than the ones they'd seen in the past.

The limitations Apple has set forth may be seen as another case of Apple engaging in anticompetitive behavior. Apple has faced numerous antitrust probes in recent years.

In June, the Department of Justice and state attorneys general prepared to launch an antitrust investigation into Apple's App Store after developers continue to raise concerns over anticompetitive behavior.

On July 16, European Union announced its plans on gathering information from over 400 companies to see if companies like Apple and Amazon are using voice assistants Siri and Alexa to engage in anticompetitive behavior.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Why do developers feel entitled to full access to the iPhone and its functionality?
    They have to know by now that Apple always limits 3rd-party access at the start and adds it later. The most recent example is allowing you to select a different default music app on the HomePod.

Sorry. These developers need to walk before they can run.

edit: fixed spelling error.
    edited July 2020 dewmeJWSCkillroyviclauyycwilliamlondonBeatsGG1leavingthebiggwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Maybe I missed something but it seems the developers have the choice to not use Find My and continue to use their own app. How is that a problem worth complaining about?
    dewmeBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 38
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    As I’m not a developer I haven’t seen the 50 page document. But with increasing surveillance capabilities being rolled out, Apple is right to be cautious about providing third parties full access. Let’s use some caution and see how this goes before providing advanced surveillance capabilities to the unwashed mass of developers, not all of whom have the user’s best interest in mind.

To the developer who felt so offended he/she leaked the document to the press, not cool! I hope Apple finds out who you are and bans you from the platform.
    killroymac_dogbageljoeyviclauyycwilliamlondonBeatsAppleSince1976geekmeeGG1leavingthebigg
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The first major limitation is that users will not be able to use competing services while using Find My. 

At first I thought it meant that developers couldn’t support another service if they wanted to use the Find My service. 

Now I read it again, I think that you cannot support another service in the same app. 

So Tile would need an app for their network, and a second app for Apple’s. 

Does that sound right?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 38
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    "Developers will also be required to ask a user for consent before obtaining their location"

That old bugaboo, consent. There goes find my wife or find my 16 year old kid.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I have reasonable confidence that Apple isn’t going to use the information for tracking me—not because I’m a wide eyed sheeple, but because Apple makes their money from selling premium hardware and increasingly by selling associated services. Loss of user trust would cost them tremendously. 
    If some crappy app developer could figure out a way to monetize tracking of users—they might have no incentive to be a good actor. If people figure out what they are doing and get upset they can sneak tracking into another app under another name. 

I ABSOLUTELY want Apple to have stringent rules for third party access to the find my platform. 
    williamlondonviclauyycAppleSince1976JWSCGG1pscooter63leavingthebiggrobabawatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 7 of 38
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The first major limitation is that users will not be able to use competing services while using Find My. 

At first I thought it meant that developers couldn’t support another service if they wanted to use the Find My service. 

Now I read it again, I think that you cannot support another service in the same app. 

So Tile would need an app for their network, and a second app for Apple’s. 

Does that sound right?

Possible.

Or maybe tag manufacturers register their Bluetooth OUI with Apple (or on the phone) which lets it work with Find My, but Bluetooth endpoints which match Find My won't show up in other applications at all.

Or maybe the tag will need firmware changes and Apple is saying they don't allow tag firmware which works with Find My and with other services.

Or maybe whichever service was launched most recently gets the radio and the others don't get any information (so no background indication of seeing other platforms' tags).

Could mean a number of things. Unfortunately, without the detailed specification, we can't tell which.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    What's the bet this turns into certain developers complaining about Apple because they won't let developers use the framework *and* track the customer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    bageljoey said:
    I have reasonable confidence that Apple isn’t going to use the information for tracking me—not because I’m a wide eyed sheeple, but because Apple makes their money from selling premium hardware and increasingly by selling associated services. Loss of user trust would cost them tremendously. 
    If some crappy app developer could figure out a way to monetize tracking of users—they might have no incentive to be a good actor. If people figure out what they are doing and get upset they can sneak tracking into another app under another name. 

I ABSOLUTELY want Apple to have stringent rules for third party access to the find my platform. 
    I was thinking of up-voting, but you used the word sheeple. 
    Poof all of your credibility is gone.

pscooter63jony0
  • Reply 10 of 38
    beeble42beeble42 Posts: 32member
    killroy said:
    "Developers will also be required to ask a user for consent before obtaining their location"

That old bugaboo, consent. There goes find my wife or find my 16 year old kid.
    The consent is established when you set them up then you can see their location anytime. It's been that way since the very first release of Find My Friends eons ago. I can always see where my wife is (or other friends) and vice versa because we each gave consent on the front end one time. Either of us can also stop sharing our location to each other at anytime. I can't imagine significantly changing the way Find My currently works just to make it so you have to get consent every time you want to search for someone. That would be a lot of extra work just to make the user experience worse. That's more a Microsoft design pattern.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I love the irony.
    Developers are upset that Apple is holding them to tight standards as to what they can and can't do with this feature. It's almost like they don't trust them.
    We find out about it because one of the developers violates their NDA and leaks the agreement.
    Guess Apple is right to not trust these people.
    geekmeeJWSCtheotherphilleavingthebiggkillroyRayz2016uraharawatto_cobraDetnatorjony0
  • Reply 12 of 38
    stpatstpat Posts: 13member
    I completely agree with Apple being tight with access. I don't trust any of these third party developers with my info, and especially with my location. They're in it to make a buck and they may tell you they won't sell your data/location, but when the revenue comes up short, they're selling it to the highest bidder. My opinion is to lock it down and make developers stay open with their intent and compliant with good privacy and data practices. It's my data, my location, my device, they can relax with their faux outrage. Most likely their app's gonna suck anyways, there aren't many life changing apps out there.
    AppleSince1976GG1watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 13 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple should never have allowed developers who challenged them in public to remain developers. They violated their NDA’s and now everyone feels entitled to kick Apple over any bloody thing they want.
    BeatskillroyRayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 38
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    Apple should never have allowed developers who challenged them in public to remain developers. They violated their NDA’s and now everyone feels entitled to kick Apple over any bloody thing they want.
    LOL It's funny when you call someone entitled.
    muthuk_vanalingambulk001Rayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 38
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Leeches. Apple can't do anything without developers thinking it's theirs.
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 16 of 38
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    DAalseth said:
    bageljoey said:
    I was thinking of up-voting, but you used the word sheeple. 
    Poof all of your credibility is gone.
    But he used "sheeple" on himself to clarify what he's not. I think that's acceptable and his credibility in the post stands.
    AppleSince1976pscooter63killroyrobabamuthuk_vanalingamEsquireCatsuraharawatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 17 of 38
    DAalseth said:
    I love the irony.
    Developers are upset that Apple is holding them to tight standards as to what they can and can't do with this feature. It's almost like they don't trust them.
    We find out about it because one of the developers violates their NDA and leaks the agreement.
    Guess Apple is right to not trust these people.
    Precisely!
    killroywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I think they are just trying to get tech-clueless "Apple Bad!" Politicians in the US and EU interested in this; so, like "batterygate" and "AppStoreFeeGate", another "Investigation" and "Class-Action" is threatened; when in reality, it is the "Victims" that actually the greedy, unconscionable criminals, and Apple is jealously protecting the right to privacy of their Users and continued excellent track-record of the App Store(s).
    geekmeewatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 19 of 38
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Sounds like developers are ‘free’ to develop for other app stores, if they don’t want to be encumbered by Apple’s stringent rules. 
    But I understand, developers don’t have those stringent rules for Android devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Plus, I’d be paranoid too...
    Scrutinizing the history of developers....
    Paranoid about stalker law suits...
    via developers selling information to business partners.
    edited July 2020 killroyrobabawatto_cobra