Intel-based iMac refresh will launch in the next week, leakers claim

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2020
Leakers on Twitter are claiming a new Intel-based iMac could be unveiled this week, but minus the radical design change that has been predicted with that waiting for the introduction of Apple Silicon systems.

A pair of tweets that surfaced on Saturday have made claims about Apple's imminent release strategy, specifically about its iMac lineup. While there have been murmurings around Apple's Mac range, with discussion largely concerning the future Apple Silicon-based products, Intel-based Macs are still on the way during this two-year transition period.

One tweet from leaker @Soybeys first reported by 9to5Mac claims a new Intel iMac "could be released this week," with a further suggestion that sources are putting an unveiling on Monday. If true, this would indicate Apple is preparing a specification bump for the range, rather than making any design alterations.

A second leaker, @Jioriku, further emphasizes this by claiming "The iMac redesign is not coming for this 10th-generation Intel refresh. They are saving it for their own silicon."

Icons discovered in an alleged iOS 14 build in June suggested Apple was redesigning the iMac with design language similar to an iPad Pro, using thinner bezels. It also seems plausible that Apple would wait for a major change in the iMac internals for an introduction of a redesigned product, which lends itself to the design being used with Apple Silicon.

While neither Twitter account are known to have a reliable track record at this time, having both been created in 2020, nor have achieved a level of fame for their revelations, there may be something to their statements. A tweet from July 19 by prominent leaker @L0vetodream suggested "some products are ready to ship," which may be considered vague but certainly lends some credence to a product launch.

A DigiTimes report from mid-June also claimed there would be new iMac and iPad models on the way sometime in the second half of 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I believe it. Even if it’s a minor update engineers still spend design and test hours, they need to recoup those costs some way. This work was probably done in parallel with ASi, not knowing when ASi would be announced. And it gives all the ASi holdouts one last opportunity to purchase an Intel iMac.
    seanjentropyskillroypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    No one wants this outdated look anymore.  Zero interest in paying Apple prices for a 2012 design.
    ITGUYINSDelijahglkruppScot1
  • Reply 3 of 35
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I was hoping for a new design, but given the crappy thermals of intel processors maybe a redesign just doesn’t make sense until ASi
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    vukasika said:
    No one wants this outdated look anymore.  Zero interest in paying Apple prices for a 2012 design.
    It'd be nice if they went back to the magnetically retained display too, so you don't have to take a pizza slice to it if something goes wrong. Like the MMU dying in my 2019 i9 2 weeks ago 😑 
    entropyskillroy
  • Reply 5 of 35
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    A new design this late in the game would dampen the reveal when AS iMac is revealed.
    Haven’t kept up with new Intel processors; are there any to be slapped in this final version of the Intel iMac?
    on a side note, where has Jon Prosser gone? Cook finally get to him after all that taunting? B)
    sully54Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    No bezels or no sale. I am in the market for a new iMac but last decade's design is a non-starter.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 35
    This makes sense. Most people don't follow the Apple design news and simply want a reliable machine with current internals. They will see "New" by the name and that will be enough to drive sales. My guess is any new design will be built with ASi in mind and would not easily accommodate the Intel internals. 
    edited July 2020 killroypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    This makes sense. Most people don't follow the Apple design news and simply want a reliable machine with current internals. They will see "New" by the name and that will be enough to drive sales. My guess is any new design will be built with ASi in mind and would not easily accommodate the Intel internals. 
    You sure about that? Phone design changes every few years and people lap it up despite there being few new hardware features.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Would a spec bump enable HDR support?
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    of course, it makes sense to have Intel iMac design stay the same while ARM iMac to look much more modern and to help users distinguish between Intel and ARM. 
    killroylibertyandfreeearlygeekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    joltguyjoltguy Posts: 16member
    They might make it available in Space Grey to drive more sales and generate some buzz. The design is dated but the iMac is still a beauty.
    killroypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    No bezels or no sale. I am in the market for a new iMac but last decade's design is a non-starter.
    You might say that, until you walk into a computer store and look at the row of all in ones from Dell, HP or Apple. Only one stands out. 
    edited July 2020 killroylkruppblastdoorpatchythepiratedewmechiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    vukasika said:
    If they're there, they'll sell. I sell Macs at an AASP and plenty of people want the iMac. Our channel has been dry as all get out and I have had to beg borrow and barter to get them, because of WSFH and a lot of people's older 2009-2011 iMacs starting to age out. Older folks like the large screens on the 27", more traditional users like them, and they have larger storage drives. 
    lkruppRayz2016patchythepiratedewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Let’s be honest, it doesn’t make sense to produce aN iMac redesign until the AS SOC is ready.  But the current model is long in the tooth. This release has to happen. if you don’t need a new iMac right now, why not wait? 
    But if you do need one, this would be a good machine. At least you know you can update the RAM, and with difficulty, you can still update the drive. There is no guarantee our Lord Cook will allow that in a future design.
    edited July 2020 elijahgGrayeagle
  • Reply 15 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    vukasika said:
     Check your ego.  You do not represent others.  

I plan on buying one this year regardless of how it looks.  We can certainly argue a design being “outdated”, but at least the current iMac’s design is the most elegant compared to the competition.

GrayeagleRayz2016rundhvidchiacgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    entropys said:
    You might say that, until you walk into a computer store and look at the row of all in ones from Dell, HP or Apple. Only one stands out. 
    QFT.

It’s an iconic design, one of the best in the history of the industry, imho.

some other great designs include the Apple IIc original Mac, the Mac IIci, and PowerBook Ti.

Don’t get me wrong — I want a new design too. But this is a great design. I have no problem buying another one of these 
    GrayeaglepatchythepiratecgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Whether or not an update happens tomorrow [July 27th] or next week [August], the timing of the release means that there is very little chance that the new revision will include Navi 2 graphics, since those are supposedly not being released until September (or after). 

That is disappointing because even the Radeon 5700 xt, which is likely to be included in the new high end iMac, can’t run games at the native 5k resolution at max settings. The Navi 2 cards, which should be out not long after the iMac refresh, ought to produce great frame rates at 5k. 

While the 5k resolution was an amazing technical achievement when it was introduced, I’ve always been disappointed the that available graphics cards were never able to take full advantage of it. Now that the intel iMacs are going the way of the dodo, it will be a long wait until iMac owners will be able to play a large library of AAA games at 5k with decent frame rates. 

I’m sure the graphics of the Apple silicon based iMacs will be great, but based on how things have gone in the past, I doubt there will be many timely ports of the latest and greatest games.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and Apple will be the one to debut the new Navi 2 chips, but I doubt that AMD will be inclined to do that now that Apple won’t be using them as a supplier moving forward. There is also a chance for a mid-cycle update that will add a Navi 2 graphics option, but since the Apple Silicon transition will be in full swing by that point, that chance seems to be very slim. 

I wonder if “no redesign” means no T2 chip. If so, the fusion drive will probably hang around (boo). However, it would also mean that hackitosh builds will get a slightly longer lease on life, as long as this upcoming iMac model is supported by the OS. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Whether or not an update happens tomorrow [July 27th] or next week [August], the timing of the release means that there is very little chance that the new revision will include Navi 2 graphics, since those are supposedly not being released until September (or after). 

That is disappointing because even the Radeon 5700 xt, which is likely to be included in the new high end iMac, can’t run games at the native 5k resolution at max settings. The Navi 2 cards, which should be out not long after the iMac refresh, ought to produce great frame rates at 5k. 

While the 5k resolution was an amazing technical achievement when it was introduced, I’ve always been disappointed the that available graphics cards were never able to take full advantage of it. Now that the intel iMacs are going the way of the dodo, it will be a long wait until iMac owners will be able to play a large library of AAA games at 5k with decent frame rates. 
    I had similar reservations over the GPU when buying my 2019 iMac. I got the Pro Vega 48 (scores 11504 on GPU Benchmark), which can't push games at 5k on max settings - Nvidia cards can however; the then 2 year old 1080TI scored 17385 - 50% faster, and the then new 2080TI scores 21600, almost double the benchmark. Just another way Apple is screwing its customers over a stupid spat with Nvidia. Pro Vega cards aren't even particuarly good for compute which they were originally intended for, scoring 51012 vs 59696 for the 1080TI.

AMD cards just aren't very good in general. Even back in the ATI days of the late 2000s they've always run hot, power hungry and relatively slow. Plus the Apple-written drivers are pretty crappy, and unlike Nvidia's, don't get updates for long after release. My 2012 iMac with a Nvidia GTX680MX was still getting graphics driver updates until Apple shafted Nvidia and stopped signing them in Mojave.

Another apprehension I have about the Intel Macs and the early Apple Silicon Macs is how long they will continue to be supported. Apple is very good at prematurely dropping support for Macs who don't reach some arbitrary spec. Support for PPC Macs was dropped after a just 3 years, and the 32-bit EFI Macs after 4 - despite the fact that 32-bit EFI could bootstrap a 64-bit kernel. The Hackintosh scene managed to get 64-bit Mountain Lion working just fine on 32-bit EFI Macs.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 20 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    vukasika said:
    How do either of you know what it's going to look like?
    watto_cobra