Trump demands TikTok sell U.S. arm by September 15 or cease operation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

rob53 said:
    Huh, I reread Article II of the Constitution and I couldn't find which executive power would allow this.  The closest thing is the tail end of Article II Section 3 that says "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."  I wonder what law asked the President to mandate artificial deadlines for foreign companies to change their (legal) business practices.
    You and I know the current President could care less about the Constitution and probably hasn't even read the first page of it. He continues to act like a CEO without any regard to laws. He gets away with things because nobody is willing to stop him no matter how many laws he breaks.
    You’re a mind reader? I don’t think so. Based on the evidence, he pushes in nearly every single instance for the advancement of American interests. I believe he can decide whether or not an app is a security risk for the US and (along with the Senate) he has the authority to recommend it be banned.

cat52razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    netling said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Just wait for China to force Apple/Tesla/amazon to sell their Chinese arm of service.

i hate Chinese government and Taitok. But this is no way a fair deal.

China hasn't allowed or kick out; Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple US servers (All Apple Server must be located in China for Chinese users), Amazon only through allowing exporting they killed Amazon China internally, the list goes on and on and on...  You see China has been GAMING the USA for a long time and Obama, Bush, Democrats, and Republicans have been played!  POTUS is the FIRST president to stand up against them and we need to because they plan on bankrupting us by allowing China brands to overtake U.S. owed brands and are getting away with it.  Amazon has become China bit*h and is the Alibaba of the USA.  Lookup the China UN postal treaty and see how the USA taxpayers subsidize China Post to mail goods from China.  China government subsidies shipping to the USA and we the taxpayer pay to delivered address.  I can ship from Shenzen China to you CHEAPER than I can send from Any USA address to you!!!!!? WTF!
    Yes!
    It's like Trump not paying any federal income tax.  It just means China is smart.
    muthuk_vanalingamronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    joogabah said:
    netling said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Just wait for China to force Apple/Tesla/amazon to sell their Chinese arm of service.

China hasn't allowed or kick out; Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple US servers (All Apple Server must be located in China for Chinese users), Amazon only through allowing exporting they killed Amazon China internally, the list goes on and on and on...  You see China has been GAMING the USA for a long time and Obama, Bush, Democrats, and Republicans have been played!  POTUS is the FIRST president to stand up against them and we need to because they plan on bankrupting us by allowing China brands to overtake U.S. owed brands and are getting away with it.  Amazon has become China bit*h and is the Alibaba of the USA.  Lookup the China UN postal treaty and see how the USA taxpayers subsidize China Post to mail goods from China.  China government subsidies shipping to the USA and we the taxpayer pay to delivered address.  I can ship from Shenzen China to you CHEAPER than I can send from Any USA address to you!!!!!? WTF!
    Yes!
    It's like Trump not paying any federal income tax.  It just means China is smart.
    Tax minimization is perfectly legal and in keeping with standard business practices. As for him personally, I don’t think he takes a salary or he donates it every year of his presidency so far.
    cat52patchythepiraterazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    I think people need to consider the possibility that the Trump White House was told that Microsoft was in talks to acquire Tik Tok and simply came up with a political strategy to exploit it, i.e., Trump pretending that he's responsible for it. That certainly fits the standard MO for the current White House. 
    They were not in talks to acquire them. TikTok previously announced they were going to move their operations to the US, so I guess they decided to not follow through on that.

And your apparent bitterness toward the current President has been noted.
    cat52patchythepiraterazorpit
  • Reply 25 of 46
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member

kmarei said:
    So much for the US pushing other countries for free market 
    Then the US makes ultimatums like this
    so it’s free market, but only if it benefits the US
    thats not a free market
    Markets of nearly every kind are regulated in the US. Spare me the handwringing.
    Regulated is one thing, but I don’t recall any other country saying a private company has to be sold to a different country before .
    regulations like tariffs, taxes, etc are common
    this also looks a lot worse if it’s sold to an American company

muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 26 of 46
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Sorry for the multiple posts
    on the iPad it didn’t show it was posted, even when I refreshed the page several times
    now I see they all posted, and I have no ability of delete my own posts like all other forums I visit 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kmarei said:
    Sorry for the multiple posts
    on the iPad it didn’t show it was posted, even when I refreshed the page several times
    now I see they all posted, and I have no ability of delete my own posts like all other forums I visit 
    I got it.
    SpamSandwichkmareiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    All this hubbub over a cringe app for spoiled teens.

anantksundaramrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    JinTech said:
    Hey lets piss off the main target audience, people between the ages of 16 and 24. That leaves a good portion of them able to vote in November.
    They rarely vote. That is the sad fact, and he knows it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Beats said:
    I bet the anti-Apple uproar won't happen this time around. People pretended to hate Trump and the U.S. when Huawei was involved. Unless idiot Americans can find an excuse again to hate Apple then suddenly they will become Chinese patriots again. China has showed their true colors and crippled our economy by hiding Covid-19 so Huawei or any other Chinese knockoff brand isn't getting the same praise from the typical Apple hating herd.

Funny times.
    Come on guys.

”Trump continues to push back against the...”

It’s “President Trump”.

#NotMyPresident

/s
    Your post has little to do with the topic.

Back on topic and just to be factual, Biden (D) has banned TikTok for his campaign staff, and Charles Schumer (D) is also asking for a TikTok ban. This is not an R v. D issue in the US. It might piss off some Wall Street types hoping to cash in on a lucrative IPO and a lot of teenage girls. Neither group matters that much for a US election. 
    edited August 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    JinTech said:
    Hey lets piss off the main target audience, people between the ages of 16 and 24. That leaves a good portion of them able to vote in November.
    If he pisses enough of them off they will.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    I think this is yet another step towards a collapse in the world market for technology. Countries may well split into each having only their own devices. How selling the US version to an American company hurts the Chinese company is of course, not clear and, with a little thought, it obviously doesn't hurt China or the Chinese company at all. They receive a big bag of dollars and other things out of it. And there is ZERO evidence of anything. This is the biggest travesty. The current administration peddles conspiracies and makes crap up. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Beats said:
    I bet the anti-Apple uproar won't happen this time around. People pretended to hate Trump and the U.S. when Huawei was involved. Unless idiot Americans can find an excuse again to hate Apple then suddenly they will become Chinese patriots again. China has showed their true colors and crippled our economy by hiding Covid-19 so Huawei or any other Chinese knockoff brand isn't getting the same praise from the typical Apple hating herd.

Funny times.
    Come on guys.

”Trump continues to push back against the...”

It’s “President Trump”.

#NotMyPresident

/s
    Your post has little to do with the topic.

Back on topic and just to be factual, Biden (D) has banned TikTok for his campaign staff, and Charles Schumer (D) is also asking for a TikTok ban. This is not an R v. D issue in the US. It might piss off some Wall Street types hoping to cash in on a lucrative IPO and a lot of teenage girls. Neither group matters that much for a US election. 
    Not one bit. Apple had ZERO to do with Trump Vs. Huawei and yet the anti-Apple crowd drug Apple into it and were pushing for a U.S. boycott.

I get the feeling it won't work out this time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    I think this is yet another step towards a collapse in the world market for technology. Countries may well split into each having only their own devices. How selling the US version to an American company hurts the Chinese company is of course, not clear and, with a little thought, it obviously doesn't hurt China or the Chinese company at all. They receive a big bag of dollars and other things out of it. And there is ZERO evidence of anything. This is the biggest travesty. The current administration peddles conspiracies and makes crap up. 

Apple's invention has caused chaos across the world.

The problem is knockoff Apple companies like Huawei faced zero penalties and already have Apple tech they can sell and they're getting richer. No one is calling them out for this.
    patchythepiraterazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 83member
    kmarei said:
    thats not a free market
    The CCP Doesn’t follow “the rules”. They copy and steal IP for example. So, the market is “open” but not “free” from manipulation. TikTok has a lot of baggage to clear up. I’m fine with President Trump’s heavy handed ban.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepiraterazorpittmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    If he pisses enough of them off they will.
    I tend to form my expectations based on data. 

There's no law against basing it on hope, so knock yourself out!
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    kmarei said:

kmarei said:
    thats not a free market
    Markets of nearly every kind are regulated in the US. Spare me the handwringing.
    Regulated is one thing, but I don’t recall any other country saying a private company has to be sold to a different country before .
    regulations like tariffs, taxes, etc are common
    this also looks a lot worse if it’s sold to an American company

Looks worse to whom?  It’s the communist party of China.  Who cares what people think?
    SpamSandwichrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    joogabah said:
    netling said:
    viclauyyc said:

Yes!
    That’s actually true. No one said the Chinese were dumb. As for the president, he does what everyone does: minimize tax liability.  
    SpamSandwichpatchythepiraterazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Respectfully, I have no idea what you’re talking about. The concern is that the owners of the app are obligated to turn over much of the snooped data to the communist party of china. It’s a relatively bipartisan concern.  It’s not really about hurting the Chinese, it’s about defending the United States.
    patchythepiraterazorpittmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    If Microsoft were to purchase TikTok's U.S. arm, they would likely subject the app to a full security review.“ 
    Poppycock, it’s not about security at all! It’s about Americans having the app, they want it, they even got clown on it.
    I would never sell! It’s a dumbest move! 
    Mark Zuckerberg didn’t sell, Evan Spiegel dint sell. Chinese will never sell ha ha it’s hilarious. Even if you ban the app in a free country like USA. Public outcry will be huge, with in no time app will be back! 

You should read Chinese media to know what’s going on. 
    edited August 2020