Experts, China warn against Trump's TikTok sale push & 'key money' demand

Posted:
in General Discussion
As President Trump continues to call for the sale of TikTok with a percentage of the sale going to the US Treasury, experts and Chinese government-controlled media are weighing in on the dangerous implications of such a deal.

On Friday, Trump had declared that he would soon be banning controversial short-form video app TikTok, claiming that the China-owned company posed a threat to national security. On Monday, he clarified that the company could continue to operate in the U.S. if they sold their U.S. arm to an American-owned company. He also stated that he believed a significant portion of the money from the sale should go to the U.S. Treasury.

When later asked whether the money should come from Microsoft or TikTok's parent company, the China-owned ByteDance, he said the U.S. should receive a significant portion of the deal regardless of who paid the fee.

"It's a little bit like the landlord/tenant; without a lease the tenant has nothing, so they pay what's called key money,' or they pay something," Trump said. "But the United States should be reimbursed or should be paid a substantial amount of money, because without the United States they don't have anything, at least having to do with the 30%."

As CNN and other venues point out, Trump's "deal" has no basis in antitrust law. Several experts have compared the deal to mafia racketeering.

"This is quite unusual, this is out of the norm," former chief counsel for the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division Gene Kimmelman said. "It's actually quite hard to understand what the president is actually talking about here. ... It's not unheard of for transactions to have broader geopolitical implications between countries, but it's quite remarkable to think about some kind of money being on the table in connection with a transaction."

Experts point out that this does not solve alleged security issues, but continues to exacerbate ongoing problems.

"...I think this is part of the splintering of the Internet into competing national networks," Mark Lemley, director of Stanford University's program in law, science, and technology, said. "I think that's a problem, and splitting TikTok into different national entities ... is only going to make that problem worse."

TikTok has gone on record stating that they remain committed to their American user base.

"TikTok is loved by 100 million Americans because it is a home for entertainment, self-expression, and connection," company spokesperson Josh Gartner said. "TikTok will be here for many years to come."

China, however, seems less willing to work with the U.S. government. The China Daily newspaper ran an article stating that it will not accept President Trump's bullying, according to Reuters.

While Microsoft continues to pursue an acquisition deal for TikTok, ByteDance has started brainstorming other solutions. The company has begun looking for a new headquarters, outside of both China and the U.S.

"In light of the current situation, ByteDance has been evaluating the possibility of establishing TikTok's headquarters outside of the U.S., to better serve our global users," the company said.

TikTok has been under fire recently for "clipboard snooping" after an iOS 14 beta feature uncovered how frequently the app was accessing a users clipboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, Trump does what he accuses -- without evidence -- China of doing:   Of the federal government being directly involved in unfairly aiding its corporations.
    But, in this case, its closer to a Mafia like shakedown:   "Be a shame if something happened to a nice company like that".

One wonders why Trump picked TicToc for his attacks.   The BBC answered that:

"Why Trump dislikes TikTok

Analysis by James Clayton, BBC North America technology correspondent

Trump's dislike of TikTok goes further than just privacy concerns.

In India TikTok was banned after a border skirmish with China - it was caught up in a geopolitical feud. And that's what's happened here, too. Trump's sights are set firmly on China - and this should be seen through that lens.

TikTok says that it doesn't keep any data in China and would never give it to China.

But, in many ways it doesn't matter what they say, the fact that they are owned by a Chinese's company is guilt enough.

Not to be overlooked either is Trump's previous experience with TikTok.

Last month users claimed to have scuppered his Tulsa rally after signing up to tickets they had no intention of using.

And although there are Republican and conservative voices on TikTok, the profile of users in the US is generally young and liberal/left.

It's hard to believe that's not a factor here."

But, regardless, there are those brainwashed fools who will continue to believe Trump's unsubstantiated claims that he is attacking China and its corporations over "National Security" grounds.
    ....  Some people believe whatever it is they want to believe regardless of how silly and irrational it is.
    rob53randominternetpersonOferdewmeviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 33
    This idea of paying money to the Department of Treasury keeps getting more and more absurd. 

• Reply 3 of 33
    PShimiPShimi Posts: 38member
    TikTok is used by the PRC CPC for soft power propaganda. It's owned by the Chinese government, more or less, and somehow the US president is thinking of keeping it active in the US... for a fee? Am I missing something?

Even if they moved their 'headquarters' outside of China, the Chinese government would still maintain some influence over the platform.

This news is pretty odd. If someone has a better handle on this, please do explain.
    Beatsrazorpitjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I don't use or care about TikTok, what I do care about is the continued illegal activities of our president. He keeps finding someone who says what he's doing is allowed but once he's out of office he will pay for everything illegal he and others have done. He continues to think like a CEO instead of our president. He doesn't own the USA, he simply acts as one of the three EQUAL branches of the USA. Can't wait for the USA to get back to something closer to normal where most things follow the Constitution instead of everything he does is contrary to it.
    GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonbageljoeyXedskippingrockforegoneconclusionOfermuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 5 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,700member
    These things should be simple to solve.

Evidence. Accusation. Resolution. 

Unfortunately, the US now has a reputation for ignoring the first point.

This is just another piece in the US-China fight for influence. 
    edited August 2020 GeorgeBMacOferviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 6 of 33
    PShimi said:
    TikTok is used by the PRC CPC for soft power propaganda. It's owned by the Chinese government, more or less, and somehow the US president is thinking of keeping it active in the US... for a fee? Am I missing something?

Even if they moved their 'headquarters' outside of China, the Chinese government would still maintain some influence over the platform.

This news is pretty odd. If someone has a better handle on this, please do explain.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
    DancingMonkeysjony0
  • Reply 7 of 33
    rob53 said:
    I don't use or care about TikTok, what I do care about is the continued illegal activities of our president. He keeps finding someone who says what he's doing is allowed but once he's out of office he will pay for everything illegal he and others have done. He continues to think like a CEO instead of our president. He doesn't own the USA, he simply acts as one of the three EQUAL branches of the USA. Can't wait for the USA to get back to something closer to normal where most things follow the Constitution instead of everything he does is contrary to it.

True!
    Except for the part about Trump paying for his crimes.   He won't.    But we will.  

While our standing and reputation in the world was badly damaged by George Bush, Trump has essentially demolished it.  
    Will anybody ever trust us, our integrity or our word again?

Trump seems to think the world consists of the closed circle of FauxNews and conservative propaganda outlets where you can say anything and, no matter how false and ridiculous it is, people will believe and follow the word.   It's much like religion:  the followers, the cult, believe on faith alone -- and act on it.
    edited August 2020 XedOferdewmemuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 8 of 33
    It's one thing for the US to insist that some company is acting illegally and require that company to operate under new ownership if it's to continue operating in the US.  It's completely another to suggest that the US government should get a commission for forcing this sale.  

The latter is absurd and hurts the standing of the US in the world marketplace.  If any other country tried to do something like this they would be universally criticized and ridiculed.
    aderutterOferDAalsethmuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    avon b7 said:
    These things should be simple to solve.

Evidence. Accusation. Resolution. 

Unfortunately, the US now has a reputation for ignoring the first point.

This is just another piece in the US-China fight for influence. 

Trump may have totally exposed his Huawei scam (claiming he was attacking the company on the grounds of "National Security") when he made the same claim about TicToc:   The only ones in the world who don't see that as a total lie, a complete fabrication used to further a political agenda is Donnie's cult followers.

His Huawei claims were getting some limited traction despite the complete lack of evidence to back them up.
    Now Trump tried the same ploy with TicToc and the world is pretty much united in calling bull to the bull.

Ren has to be cheering:   "Go Trump!  Sink that boat!"
    Ofer
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Funny. Chinese have done the same thing pushing around google and facebook but all the sudden we have a constitutional crisis when the US does it. I like the idea of a level playing field. 
    BeatsinTIMidatorrazorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    It's one thing for the US to insist that some company is acting illegally and require that company to operate under new ownership if it's to continue operating in the US.  It's completely another to suggest that the US government should get a commission for forcing this sale.  

The latter is absurd and hurts the standing of the US in the world marketplace.  If any other country tried to do something like this they would be universally criticized and ridiculed.
    As bad, is why MS is suddenly the White Knight to rescue Tik Tok?

https://om.co/2020/08/03/microsofts-tiktok-but-why/

"Why not someone like Disney which has dreams of being part of the digital revolution? Disney has the audience. It has sprawling global operations. It has the ability to walk the middle of the road where it can appease the autocratic governments and make the democratic countries satisfied. It also has a brand that has many sub-brands that cross many demographic categories. Disney wanted to buy Twitter. TikTok makes more of a strategic fit."

"Hence my question, why Microsoft?

I ask these questions but can’t help myself and not think about the event of last week?

• Why was Microsoft not part of the showdown between BigTech and Washington DC? What makes them better than the other four? Why do they get to be excused from on-air humiliation while others get spanked for their monopolies?

And that does make me wonder? Does Microsoft have some sort of a quid-pro-quo in place with the US Government that makes them the most preferred nation when it comes to buying this company?"

https://500ish.com/tiktok-and-microsofts-clock-c4c9fd082b89

"Just read the thing. It’s almost like a letter of fealty. It reads like something a Chinese company might write under the Chinese government. To that end, it reads as if it was written at the behest of the government. Maybe that’s too strong. Maybe? How about: “Hey Satya, great conversation today. It sure would be nice if you could outline what we discussed publicly.” That kind of thing.

Microsoft fully appreciates the importance of addressing the President’s concerns. It is committed to acquiring TikTok subject to a complete security review and providing proper economic benefits to the United States, including the United States Treasury.

This is an actual paragraph in the post. The second paragraph, no less. What on Earth?! Is Treasury getting a finder’s fee here? The next paragraph:

Microsoft will move quickly to pursue discussions with TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, in a matter of weeks, and in any event completing these discussions no later than September 15, 2020. During this process, Microsoft looks forward to continuing dialogue with the United States Government, including with the President.

That is… a very specific date? That is… a very specific third reference to the President? In three paragraphs. Wink. Wink."

Frankly, it all stinks, and for the record, I don't trust the Chinese Government at all, nor any Chinese Companies, with my data, assuming that we even know where our data is going.

Right after I posted, AI Posted this new link;

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/04/apple-allegedly-in-the-running-to-buy-tiktok

edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I trust Disney as far as I can throw my foot. 
    razorpitcat52
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Funny. Chinese have done the same thing pushing around google and facebook but all the sudden we have a constitutional crisis when the US does it. I like the idea of a level playing field. 

So much for the higher standard of free markets and democracy.   Thanks Trump!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,374member
    Sigh... this was all preventable. All these issues of data sovereignty were brought up many many years ago. My first exposure to how they directly impacted highly distributed computing architectures was a hot topic for discussion in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The technologists acknowledged the elephant in the room but did nothing to address the problem, frankly, because it wasn't a tech problem and getting mired in non-tech issues when tech was so much more fun was an impediment to progress. You know, just like we never worried about security and privacy a decade earlier when just getting the connectivity to work was cause for celebration. Life on the happy path with a high limit credit card to wave around is such a wonderful thing.

Fast forward 20 years and here we are. When the leaders and societal bureaucrats should have been holding multilateral discussions and putting working groups together with techies at their beck and call to help them come up with workable solutions that more than one nation could get behind, they instead ignored the elephant and just kept chugging along in blissful ignorance. You know, like the elephant would magically go away once the weather warmed up or we put a curtain of denial around it so we could ignore its presence. Of course it didn't go anywhere, we could still see it and smell it through the curtain. 

The current posturing and temper tantrums around this topic are just noise and bluster with little more substance than a mud wrestling contest. For technologists it should serve as a reminder that they often create tools and toys that can turn into weapons in the hands of despots, politicians, and posers if they don't figure out what to do about  the system level and multidisciplinary impacts of what they create. Declaring that something is "done" or "done done" for you Scrum aficionados,  when the known human, societal, and political ramifications of the technology have not been addressed is simply delaying the inevitable. Those elephants in the room don't go anywhere without proper handling, and while they are there they are creating a huge dung pile that somebody, maybe you or your successor, is going to have to grab a shovel and wheelbarrow and remove the pile and its source. Simply slinging the dung around or wrestling in the dung, which is exactly what is happening now around TikTok, isn't going to solve the problem. As long as the elephant is still there, there will be more dung to come.
    Dogpersonmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So if the other side violates the basic standards of honesty and decent behaviour, then it’s open season, everyone should.
    I’d sure as f*** not want to live in your world. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

So much for the higher standard of free markets and democracy.   Thanks Trump!

I mean the hypocrisy is funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

Also "Me hate Trump so everything Trump does me hate!"

This is why I'm Independent. I get to enjoy the shi*show.
    georgie01cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Sooooooo, you orange man haters are ripping Trump for his views on this stupid childish app. But were TOTALLY fine a couple days ago when the DNC outlawed the program for security issues.

Man, talk about 2 faced hypocrites. 
    Shh, don't go bringing in facts to the orange man bad argument. George's head will explode. He's already off the rails on this thread.
    georgie01cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    Unlike The D Party , @realDonaldTrump wants Tik Tok to pay the USA Treasury , getting a cut money for the American people when all D party  know how to do is spend on illegals and give money to Iran and hate America! A president who finally looks out more for Americans than foreign citizens! Imagine that!
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Beats said:

This is why I'm Independent. I get to enjoy the shi*show.
    As an independent I totally agree. Those who bend over backwards to criticise Trump show depressing levels of hypocrisy. They’ll even complain about Trump being divisive while simultaneously trying to get their political base angry at and hating the US President...not sure how much more hypocritical someone can get.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Smart people will stay out of this.... this will Become a burden and bad baggage for any company the actually does buy it. 

1. It’s not a natural sale. 
    2. Are they in trumps pocket? 
    3: giving a finders fee to the us government? That to me implies that the government could potentially own a portion of the company. If that is even legal. 

I’ve heard of the government buying stakes in companies with the intent of the companies slowly buying the stakes back over time, but this is not that. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra