Phil Shiller is now an 'Apple Fellow,' Greg Joswiak promoted to marketing SVP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
As a newly-minted Apple Fellow, Phil Schiller will continue to lead the App Store and Apple Events, with Greg Joswiak becoming the senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.

Apple Fellow Phil Schiller
Apple Fellow Phil Schiller

"It has been a dream come true for me to work at Apple, on so many products I love, with all of these great friends -- Steve, Tim, and so many more," said Schiller. "I first started at Apple when I was 27, this year I turned 60 and it is time for some planned changes in my life. I'll keep working here as long as they will have me, I bleed six colors, but I also want to make some time in the years ahead for my family, friends, and a few personal projects I care deeply about."

Schiller will be reporting directly to Tim Cook in the role.

"Phil has helped make Apple the company it is today and his contributions are broad, vast, and run deep. In this new role he will continue to provide the incredible thought partnership, and guidance that have defined his decades at Apple," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "Joz's many years of leadership in the Product Marketing organization make him perfectly suited to this new role and will ensure a seamless transition at a moment when the team is engaged in such important and exciting work. I'm thrilled that the whole executive team will benefit from his collaboration, ideas, and energy."

Other Apple Fellows include Bill Atkinson, Steve Capps, Guy Kawasaki, Rich Page, and Steve Wozniak. Apple grants the status for extraordinary contributions to the company, and are granted additional stock options as a reward for service.

New Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Greg Joswiak has accumulated more than 20 years in leadership roles across Apple product marketing. He has served as the vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing for the past four years. Joswiak has overseen the product management and product marketing for numerous Apple product launches, including the original iPod and iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Wozniak was Woz.

Jozwiak will be Joz.
    CluntBaby92cornchipronnMisterKitRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Phil "Can't Innovate Anymore, My Ass" Schiller: you will be missed, sir.

Thank you for all that you've done to make our lives better.
    mwhitepscooter63BeatsgregoriusmcornchipAnilu_777bshanklkruppronnMacQc
  • Reply 3 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member

Thank you for all that you've done to make our lives better.
    👍
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    He’s not retiring; at worst, he’s going part-time.

As for Joz — as he’s been known for decades — let me put it this way: he’s my pick to succeed Tim if that ever needs to happen. He’s done a lot of jobs inside Apple, and knows it as well as anyone.
    CluntBaby92gregoriusmcornchipAnilu_777ronnMacQccanukstormanantksundaramiqatedoFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member
    Thanks to Phil for your long service at Apple. Thanks for your humour and expertise. I’m glad you’re not completely retiring but also hoping you enjoy your “retirement”. 
    ronnMacQcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Thank you Phil! Beyond your touch of excellence upon Apple and upon all of us, you carry yourself and deliver your message in a manner reminiscent of my late father. I smile when I see you walk on stage and I smile when you talk. I will miss you!
    anantksundaramBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Thank you Phil for your contribution to making personal computing the experience it is today. Hope you keep well and continue fronting events.
    thtBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Was there a previous announcement, available somewhere? A little shocked encountering this news as a first instance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If anyone was wondering why we didnt see Phil at so many recent product announcements, and why Joz was there instead, well, now we know why.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The old guard slowly being replaced one by one. Who does the Board replace Tim with eventually once he retires? I assume they learned their lesson with John Sculley and will promote from within.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    The old guard slowly being replaced one by one. Who does the Board replace Tim with eventually once he retires? I assume they learned their lesson with John Sculley and will promote from within.
    Apple should continue to be run by an engineer, just as are Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla, SpaceX and so on.  Nothing against marketing folks but they’re usually out of their element in matters of extreme complexity.  
    jony0
  • Reply 12 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    cg27 said:
    Apple should continue to be run by an engineer, just as are Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla, SpaceX and so on.  Nothing against marketing folks but they’re usually out of their element in matters of extreme complexity.  

Was Tim Cook ever an engineer? He's the CEO everyone criticizes but boy when he leaves, everyone will realize how great he was. In a way he's better than Jobs but people are too busy asking for his head on a platter to see the greatness.

I never understood the hate and mockery of that statement by iHaters. That Mac Pro was innovative as fu** in a world where 99% of PC manufacturers are selling recycled Apple designs. Even Samsung made a knockoff of that Mac Pro.
    iqatedojony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Beats said:
    Wozniak was Woz.

Jozwiak will be Joz.
    Did you think you just made that up? Joswiak (with an S) has always been Joz.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23

iqatedo said:
    Was there a previous announcement, available somewhere? A little shocked encountering this news as a first instance.
    Previous? You mean like this one? 
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/08/phil-schiller-advances-to-apple-fellow/
    iqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23

Beats said:
    cg27 said:

Was Tim Cook ever an engineer? He's the CEO everyone criticizes but boy when he leaves, everyone will realize how great he was. In a way he's better than Jobs but people are too busy asking for his head on a platter to see the greatness.
    He has a BS in industrial engineering.
    iqatedojony0jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Now that Apple is moving away from Intel I look forward to Phil participating in one last shootout (hopefully more than one) like in the old days where Steve drove a PowerPC Mac and Phil drove a (snail pace by comparison) Intel powered PC. But with a twist. Make Joz drive the Intel powered PC and have Phil drive the new Apple Silicon Mac so he can win for the first time in his career.
    thtjony0fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    cg27 said:
    This is why Jobs was special. He had a founder’s mind. He was a savvy marketer who was able to cut through to the core of the matter and he was relentlessly focused on Apple, undistracted by political BS.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Jeff Williams? He’s been given broad authority over the years, and us in Tim’s old post of COO, so he’s next in line, unless something changes.
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    melgross said:
    Jeff Williams? He’s been given broad authority over the years, and us in Tim’s old post of COO, so he’s next in line, unless something changes.
    Williams seems quite capable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23

cg27 said:
    Jobs was no engineer. The Woz is an engineer, but he was never involved in running the company after the first year, or so. And remember that Tim had stated several times that “I’m not a product guy”. When Louis Gerstner was put in the CEO spot by IBM, he was asked if he knew much about computers, and his reply was; “No, but I know how to run a company”, and IBM had some of their best years with him in charge.

it could very well be that for a company like Apple, with a large number of brilliant engineers, as well as as several brilliant engineers running those technical areas, that an engineer would be the worst person to run the company.

way back when, my own company that designed and manufactured professional audio products, was an engineering company, the CEO, Robert, was a professor of engineering at Fordham University.

hp, was an engineering company when, for many years, they were a test and measurement company. The first computers were large minicomputers, and then some very expensive desktops meant to be used by—engineers.

but Apple isn’t like that. While these days, they have massive R&D and engineering projects, including, possibly, a car, they aren’t an engineering company. Engineers tend to be slow and steady, not taking significant risks. Is that Apple? Not really. Apple is a company where the engineers are told of an idea of a product, or an experience, and the engineers work hard to make it come true, with extensive oversight that isn’t killing the engineering, but making sure the final result doesn’t seem to be engineered, which, I can tell you, is a problem with engineers left to themselves. What seems to make sense to a lot of engineers doesn’t always make sense to a user. You need someone who isn’t an engineer, but more of a consumer of a product to make sense of it. That was what Steve’s genius was all about. It’s what Tim has tried to follow through on, even though he isn’t that kind of person himself.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobraDetnator